Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Origin Story of your MMO Name

mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Whats the origins of why you are called what you are called?

Name: MrWaffles aka Waffles

I was 13 and it was 2001 and RuneScape was just released. I was creating my account and it asked me what I wanted to call my character. My family had a big breakfast every Sunday. My dad and I were the early risers so he came up to me and asked what I wanted to eat. I quickly said "Waffles!". This was what I always said and he replied "You and waffles...Okay Mr. Waffles I can do that."

Every since then I've been MrWaffles. My favorite memories were randomly running into other breakfast themed names and having a good laugh. Occasionally I'd run into MrPancakes or MrFlapjacks and we'd pretend we were archenemies.

Side note: I own 4 waffle makers and if you want to know why you'll regret me going off on a bunch of useless facts about waffles. I still eat waffles weekly, and my dad has a vintage 1960s waffle maker that made endless waffles as a kid and it is the only thing I asked to be put into his will :p
E6qgOoi.png

Comments

• Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    edited August 2020
    Okay Mr. Waffles.

The name I used to use for a lot of older MMOs was Magellan. I always thought Magellan was a dope name and it was made popular by the Dr. Scholls commercial. But unfortunately the name was already taken for these forums... :neutral:

dr-scholls-mr-and-mrs-mcmellin-are-gellin-large-10.jpg
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    KesarakkKesarakk Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    My very first game was World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade. Family friends of my parents, whom I call Aunt and Uncle and are still close to my heart to this day, got me interested in MMOs. I created my first character, a mage, named Azland. While not religious by any standard, I’ve always loved fantasies that involved Heaven: Angels, Divine magic, etc. At the time I believe the first movie in the Chronicles of Narnia had come out and I loved Aslan and not just because it was voiced by Liam Neeson.

However, such a thing was not meant to last. After entering a verbal altercation with my little sister over hogging the computer I was forced off by my parents to go do something that didn’t involve a mouse and keyboard. While she had won the fight, my sister was still upset over my unwillingness to allow her to get on the computer. Keep in mind we were 13 and 11 respectively. She decided to log into my World of Warcraft account and delete my level 23 mage.

When I found out about this, logging on to find my mismatched, cloth wearing wielder of the Arcane was gone, I was distraught to say the least. Sadly, at the time I didn’t know I could contact Blizzard to have my character restored to me. So the only option I saw was to start over and begin a new adventure.

This time around I decided to take another approach and created a Paladin. While making this character I was talking to my cousin, daughter of my favorite aunt and uncle who got me interested in the game, and we were discussing character names. She encouraged me to create something unique rather than a play of letters with a popular name. After some idea swapping I decided I wanted something that sounded fitting for a Paladin, wielder of the Light. Thus, the name Kesarakk was born and has been a name I’ve not only used in all of my games but also a name for short stories for both WoW and Ashes of Creation... maybe one day Kesarakk will return to my short stories as a faithful priest/paladin of the Verra Pantheon.
  • Options
    3am3am Member
    It was 3am.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    I pressed a lot of keys on my keyboard. Compartmentalized. And changed a few letters here or there. I needed something Elvish sounding.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    unphazdunphazd Member, Intrepid Pack
    "At the top of the mountain I stood, peering over 100 strong, unfazed and ready for death" "But death did not meet me that day"
    giphy.gif

• Options
    I keep bees in games. Originally, it was forestry bees in minecraft, where I overlooked my firefly bees work through the silent desert night.
  • Options
    It was generated as Bolorni by Everquest's name generator.
    I decided I'd rather have a Y instead.
  • Options
    My name has been Daedrik since 2007, I played Skyrim and seen daedra and just put rik on the end and Daedrik... but my elf name and the name of my emperean elf Paladin will be Velarian.
  • Options
    SussurroSussurro Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It means 'whisper' in Italian. I came up with it as a name for a Bard/Rogue, called a 'Charlatan', in this game.
    My name in WoW, Renwaldo, came from a medieval episode of Ren & Stimpy.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett, Reaper Man
  • Options
    UlquiorraUlquiorra Member
    edited August 2020
    Been using simple and known/stolen names until in 2019 I decided to finally come up with my own nickname and make an identity of myself in the internet. I came up with the "nickname" by changing syllables in a way where it's spelled the same as a certain cool name.

But it made me too insecure because people who have no life started using my name after I used it in an MMO.
    I won't say the name, and this is an alt account, because I don't need a past that doesn't benefit me. B)
    Waiting for Ashes to come out.
  • Options
    Halbarz is based on the name of a warleader in Lord of the rings online called Halburz. When he left the game there was a goodbye event. usual dancing, and jumping around hihi. He or she (still do not know) asked to carry on his legacy. So halbarz was born :smiley:

Halbarz is the son of Rata, a fierce blackarrow (hunter type)

My other char: Lyvins, it started in a game store. I bought Lineage 2 and didn't have a pc at home. So had to play in the store at 3 EUR per hour to get a pc booked. I was dreaming of having my own pc in the living room :P so livins was taken .... so changed the I for a Y :smiley:

• Options
    Priston Tale undead boss, Valento.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    I inherited it from my brother-in-law and fell in love with it's meaning.

No king rules forever and enemies are all around you.

"The sword of Damokles is frequently used in allusion to this tale, symbolizing the imminent and ever-present peril faced by those in positions of power."

It shows that chance can kill without difference between kings and peasants.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I love all of these. This is me right now reading through everyones comment

0fRc8br.gif
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Atama is the Japanese word for “head” and is part of my real life name. It was also my high school nickname, since I studied Japanese language for 3 years.

I guess that’s not as exciting as some other stories but it’s true.

atama.gif

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    MntMnt Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2023
    Mnt - Mint
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    The name is mentioned in the Bible a couple times along with his two brothers Jubila and Jubilo. The name Jubilum was adopted by Free Masonry and plays a prominent role in a part of the ritual. His most important line in the ritual is "I am the one who struck the fatal blow". Because of this line I thought it would be an appropriate character name for online gaming. It has been the name of my main in every game since I started playing.
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Nidriks is a name I made up for my Ratonga in Everquest 2 at release. I thought it sounded ratty.
    I can't even recall what class he was. Ahh, found it. Fury. Very primal and attack minded druid.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like drow. Forgotten realms has a god named Vhaeraun. I liked it, but it is sometimes taken. I came up with Vhaeyne. Kinda like a combination between Vhaeraun and Bruce Wayne. To my knowledge I am the only one who ever used this name anywhere. So that makes me like it more. It is also unisex which is helpful because I player male and female characters equality as often.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    My form name is just a big (stale) meme.

My in-game name (Doxologist) derives from an encounter from the original Destiny game. Well you have to stop a Deathsinger's Litergy. Doxology is another word for Litergy and I think it sounds cool. And I like singing in the shower. So call me Doxologist :).
  • Options
    My form name is just a big (stale) meme.

My in-game name (Doxologist) derives from an encounter from the original Destiny game. Well you have to stop a Deathsinger's Litergy. Doxology is another word for Litergy and I think it sounds cool. And I like singing in the shower. So call me Doxologist :).

Oh man Oryx, that boss was dope
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My name has changed overtime. In EverQuest I went by the name Actin which comes from cell biology which I had been studying at the time getting a degree in Genetics. Moving to WoW I was initially Dayel from The Shannara series and then a female gnome mage named Maggy for no particular reason. I have used Fantmx for several years consistently now and pulled from my love of comics and specifically Fantomex.
  • Options
    First character name from WoW vanilla, but was a play on another name from SWG.

Character names take shape for me based heavily on the look of my character after creation and the class they take on.
  • Options
    I wanted to make all of my alts when I first loaded WoW, but coming up with names that sounded lore-based was hard. So instead I named all my characters Kat+action:

Katpew (hunter)
    Katcleave (warrior)
    Katclaw (druid)
    Katsecreation (paladin)
    Katotem (shaman)
  • Options
    Jindran is from my irl name, Jindra Navrátil which can be translated as Henry Returnee. The surname means "the man who has returned". Surnames were created in medieval times when first counting of ppl started, our surnames are like rl nicknames, something that could describe the man.

Also using Jin as nickname. When i was playing M&B Warband PW mod with my clan, we were using tags. Rank_Name_of_Clanname. When i got highest rank for archer, my tag was too long Sharpshooter_Jindran_of_Bohemia so i had to shorten it.
  • Options
    LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I go by Lfmr, which is short for Laughmore, which is a mental health message, but also a really cool last name for any character I make
  • Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    ooof that's a long-winded story.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    New Wrath = Neurath.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    My original gamertag when I was a teen was "Hellbeing"

One day when creating a new character in WoW I realized my gamertag screamed of teen angst and decided it was time for a much more normal one.

While I was sitting there trying to come up with a clever and unique name I decided to just pick words at random and make anagrams out of them. So I saw "Horde" in the WoW character creation screen and altered it to "Dreoh" and now 10 years later it's still perfect.