Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Origin Story of your MMO Name

Comments

• Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dreoh wrote: »
    One day when creating a new character in WoW I realized my gamertag screamed of teen angst and decided it was time for a much more normal one.

Lol been there done that. I think we all had some name we went by that was "the coolest name ever" and later cringed at it. When people say "This has always been my gamer name" I always think, "yeah but what was your REAL first one? You know the one you're trying real hard to keep hidden :D ?"

E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    First time I used the name was roughly 25 yrs ago in a MUD. It was a short lived character who was a necromancer type and I chose it for obvious reasons and the character being a female. From that day on, my first character on any mmo/mud (not the highest or most powerful one) always is female, always gets that name and will always be a Necromancer or Summoner style character. Or at least a dark magic type.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I liked the lore behind Nagash so I wanted to play as him
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    viperjscviperjsc Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter
    Well since Viper was taken I had to add a few letters :) but I originally started using Viper back in the Early Mud days when playing AberMud. I was 15 at the time and I thought Viper's were a cool snake. so put the two together :) Been using it ever since.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2021
    :wink: D
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I like drow. Forgotten realms has a god named Vhaeraun. I liked it, but it is sometimes taken. I came up with Vhaeyne. Kinda like a combination between Vhaeraun and Bruce Wayne. To my knowledge I am the only one who ever used this name anywhere. So that makes me like it more. It is also unisex which is helpful because I player male and female characters equality as often.

I too like Drow. I got into gaming when I was reading the Drizzt series and kept coming across the most fantastic names. I knew I didn't want to be that guy and choose one of the main characters, or even an existing character. So I wanted to create a unique name using the drow language.. I'm not sure how canon it all is, but I found a website back in the day that had the words in the language listed and I looked for an interesting word and looked to what the english translation was.

Nizzikef is drow for Sharpen, or "to sharpen". I like the very Russian sounding pronunciation, that and it's uniqueness. I have never come across anyone with this name.

As a fellow L2 Player you can appreciate that I was a Dark Elf Shilien Knight.

Funny enough, after going through the list of drow words I became aware of other player's names in the community that were based off drow, such as Ultrin and Paxil.

• Options
    TheGoodzillaTheGoodzilla Member
    edited August 2020
    I had another username that I had used for years. It was very easy to pronounce and only very slightly spelled differently. However it was essentially a kind of combination of two common words. Others I had played with had abbreviated it (as gamers do) in interesting ways. And then there was that guy.

I was introducing myself to a new group when it happened. And its impossible to say he didnt do it deliberately because of how obvious it was. But regardless, being one of the "cool kids" in the new group I had joined, I knew as soon as he said it, that the name had to die. No one would ever call me anything other than the mocking nickname he came up with. So I decided to change it on the spot.

I had found my profile pic previously for another matter that I cant remember anymore and knew that godzilla was a popular name. But after a quick search, I didn't find that many uses of my current name (plz no steal :'( ) and so I used it, usually introducing myself as "its like godzilla, but im the good one". Also the pic kind of looks like he is smirking about an inside joke. Plus the idea of a good version of godzilla would very much fit much of my personality.

I look forward to using it in game.
  • Options
    mrwaffles wrote: »
    My form name is just a big (stale) meme.

My in-game name (Doxologist) derives from an encounter from the original Destiny game. Well you have to stop a Deathsinger's Litergy. Doxology is another word for Litergy and I think it sounds cool. And I like singing in the shower. So call me Doxologist :).

Oh man Oryx, that boss was dope

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well
  • Options
    VyceVyce Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have a few different names I use. Not sure what name I'll use in-game for my first character but it will be one of these.

Vyce is a character from Tactics Ogre a game that I really enjoy as a kid. Use it on forums and such a lot.

Exam used this in WoW cause I thought it funny, since it would make people think "crap I got a exam to study for"

Dyss Omnia is my FF14 character. Dyssomnia medical word that is a sleep disorder. I have never been diagnosed with a sleep disorder but I do have trouble sleeping sometimes. So while looking at stuff on the internet found this word thought it was cool looking.

Creepy Janitor is my LoL name, even though I don't play it anymore. The name is because I was a Janitor when I started playing LoL, and I figured ok let's use Janitor but I need something else with it and thought ok creepy.

I am most likely going to use Creep, Vyce Omnia, or Dyss Omnia. Leaning towards Creep because of the throw back, and Radioheads "Creep", which is a amazing song.
  • Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vyce wrote: »
    Creepy Janitor is my LoL name, even though I don't play it anymore. The name is because I was a Janitor when I started playing LoL, and I figured ok let's use Janitor but I need something else with it and thought ok creepy.

I dont know why but that gave me a good chuckle. People shorten names in MMOs, for text reasons and time saving me thinkgs and thinking that people would just shorten yours to "Hey Creepy hows it going" got me :D
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    I got rid of my surname irl, so now its my gamertag, handle, character names etc
  • Options
    MichaelMichael Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
  • Options
    PercimesPercimes Member
    edited December 2020
    I have a bank of names that I recycle from games to games. They all started as D&D characters or npcs I've played or DMed since 2nd edition. I won't say I have favourites, but some are used more often, almost all of them have an archetype of preference (though casting against type happens), some name are more... prestigious, being reserved to mentor or master. Most names have both a male and female version to them.

Percimes was created has a dwarf fighter/rogue multiclasses character in 2nd edition. I was looking for a name sounding ancient greekish. Somehow he never went past the character sheet. To this day, that roguish or dwarvish element is present. Female alternative is Percima. She was my saracen mercenary in DAoC, black dye armour, short bow in hand while on the move, passing as a scout, a bait for stealthers looking an easy target.

Percimes became my online name to replace another that I didn't want to display too much anymore because it's tied to my main email. That one is reserved for special occasions.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    I don't know I just made it up 13 years ago for a Necromancer character in an older mmorpg.

It was like: "hmmm how about Sholer? That's sounds cool"

And that's it.
  • Options
    "Davey" rhymes with "Wavey". "Daveygravy" didn't seem to work quite so well...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I rectally engineered mine...
  • Options
    Botagar wrote: »
    I rectally engineered mine...

I can tell....
  • Options
    my first wow character was a female blood elf warlock in WoW named "MsDoom". I was at a friends house one day in high school and he showed me this cool game called World of Warcraft. He let me make a character and play for a couple hours, and I was hooked instantly. I kinda just thought of the name randomly, seeing as the blood elfs are cool and warlocks look badass with their pets and shadow spells. So the name just kinda fit and still to this day I think that was the best creative thing I've ever done lol.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    McShave wrote: »
    my first wow character was a female blood elf warlock in WoW named "MsDoom". I was at a friends house one day in high school and he showed me this cool game called World of Warcraft. He let me make a character and play for a couple hours, and I was hooked instantly. I kinda just thought of the name randomly, seeing as the blood elfs are cool and warlocks look badass with their pets and shadow spells. So the name just kinda fit and still to this day I think that was the best creative thing I've ever done lol.
    You spelled it wrong when making your account though. :(

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    It was around 2007/2008 when I created my onlyone character for the fist time in an MMO called Dead Frontier. For me it seemed to roll off the tongue easily... I don't know:P
  • Options
    xlangatangxxlangatangx Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    LangatanG or NubbY depending on the genre of game I play.

Langatang is a 20+ year old nickname dating back to grade school. It is used in any non-shooter game
    Nubby is a variation of Noob. I use this in shooter games. I ran with some pro gamers back in black ops 1 days, and they were leagues better than me starting out. They all loved inviting a nub because it meant more kills and higher KDs for them. I adopted the nickname with pride, and soon made it my gamertag.
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »

oh, McShave is more my internet handle. its a combination of my first and last name, and no Shave is not my last name lol
  • Options

oh, McShave is more my internet handle. its a combination of my first and last name, and no Shave is not my last name lol

I suspect you missed the intent of the OP then.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

I may have done too, then.....

Are we just talking Characters?
  • Options
    mrwaffles wrote: »
    Side note: I own 4 waffle makers

But, why do you own 4 waffle makers?
  • Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited December 2020
    Atama is the Japanese word for “head” and is part of my real life name. It was also my high school nickname, since I studied Japanese language for 3 years.

I guess that’s not as exciting as some other stories but it’s true.

atama.gif

HA, I wondered if you knew that or not. I see a lot of people use Japanese-ish names and if it's something funny I will tell them. Last one I saw was a tough warrior type calling themselves "Ninjin". When I told them it meant "carrot", they were totally, "WTF?! I thought it meant something else". At least it wasn't a tattoo :#:D

As for MMO names, I have to distinguish between forum name and game name.

In game I always go the extra mile and pick something appropriate to the class/race with the first name being personal and not usually a word/title. I DO have a list of used names so if I play an Elf type then I have about 20 I will pick from and hopefully they aren't ALL taken.

Example: For my Warhammer Empire Warrior Priest I did research into German names and came up with "Geron" which means guardian and the surname "SteinLowe" or StoneLion.

Now my forum name used to be Mongoose or Meerkat (love that family of critters) BUT when I joined the WAR forums many moons ago I did research into Warhammer and fell in love with the Skaven. I liked all of the deep lore for all the races and interactions but the Skaven and their clans were it. Clan Pestilens origin in the jungles of Lustria was my favorite (Eshin being a close second) along with the PlagueMonk description which described them as, "having to be literally ripped to shreds before they would stop coming at you." I respect tenacity B)

ok, I've probably shared too much :*
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    I never make the same character twice, so my in-game character names are always different. My Forum name, Dayuhan, is Tagalog for Alien or Stranger, and was selected because it was the word I heard in reference to myself when I visited the Philippines (at least by those who didn't know me). I looked up the meaning of the word, liked it, and have used it ever since.
  • Options
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    In game I always go the extra mile and pick something appropriate to the class/race

Yeah, I usually spend at least 10mins trying to make a good character name.
  • Options
    Mine's short and sweet.

I sing RL and love the fantasy genre. Minstrel is frequently taken, so I added a second 'i' because it looked neat and I've found is practically never taken in any game. Except occasionally by myself when I forget that I already signed up for something. Thus, miinstrel.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

I may have done too, then.....

Are we just talking Characters?

I don’t think so, since we have no way of knowing anyone’s characters yet (maybe not for years).

I do plan to name my main Atama though.

Hhak63P.png