Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The importance of getting lost

I’ve spent enough time wandering around the wild spaces of this world to fill a book or two. There is something wholly unique about being out there, away from ‘civilization’, being vulnerable, yet determined.

Being lost is a novelty now, and it would be nice to have that feeling in AoC. Instead of giving me omniscient access to a world map, give me the ability to make maps and use them. Let me iterate them. Make notes. Make mistakes. Get lost. Let there be a cost to exploration, risk, and consequences.
AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png

Comments

• Options
    agree with you :)
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I can definitely get behind this, especially in an mmorpg.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    The way the leveling experience is being talked about.... That shouldn't be an issue. Log in day 1 and just pick a direction and start running.
    SIG.png
    We are recruiting PvPers!
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am so with this idea. This is exactly my perspective on dps meters as well. Put us in the dark and let us find our light. Don't hold our hand in AoC. One of the most beautiful things in a souls game is the raw feeling of exploration.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Also when really strong mobs block your access to an entire area - that sets my curiosity on fire!
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    I'm all for this, however... Just like the whole combat debate, many people don't wish to leave their comfort zone nor change the way they've played [insert MMO] for years. Intrepid should go this route though, spice up the genre, but we'll see.
  • Options
    I like the idea of being a cartographer, really learning the map by sheer orientation and memory. Many people will not like it tho.
  • Options
    Hell yes. +1 :smiley:
  • Options
    Doesn’t the map in AoC have a fog of war to it?
  • Options
    Merek wrote: »
    I'm all for this, however... Just like the whole combat debate, many people don't wish to leave their comfort zone nor change the way they've played [insert MMO] for years. Intrepid should go this route though, spice up the genre, but we'll see.

I agree, and those players are free to be comfortable behind their walls.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited September 2020
    1. Let me just point out that Verra is 480 sq. km.

2. If there were some perk to exploration like say general flight or teleportation then it would have some meaning otherwise what is the reward to taking this immensely time consuming risk?

3. This is not about leaving comfort zone. Let me paint a scenario:

A: There is a world boss spawning near *insert location name*.
    B: Ah, I dont know where that is...
    As there is no world map, your friend cannot even help you unless you have explored some common area to use as reference.

4. I wonder how often you guyz use google maps for travelling?

Edit: I am not trying to be negative, but I doubt living in stone age would be interesting after a day or 2 when you cant find the NPC to whom you have to submit the quest. It's just impractical.
    CROW3 wrote: »
    There is something wholly unique about being out there, away from ‘civilization’, being vulnerable, yet determined.

Make notes. Make mistakes. Get lost. Let there be a cost to exploration, risk, and consequences.

Ask your friend to tell you about some place like a restaurant or a building or anything about which you dont know anything. Dont ask anyone where that place is. Find that place without any help. Make notes. Make mistakes. Get lost. See if you like the experience.

The idea is to simulate being "away from civilization".
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    @CROW3
    Wouldn't you have exactly the same thing in most MMOs if you just remove the player to be shown on the world map?
    If you for example look at games like day z you may have a map of the area but still have to realize your position on the map yourself.

In most MMOs you have to explore anyway since there is fog of war, the game is just updating it automatically rather than having you do it manually.
    I agree though that an option to make notes on the map would be nice.
  • Options
    I love the idea of massive open worlds and definitely fall into the exploration type guy. Big maps and lots of open land is the only way to go in an MMO imo. Most players probably won't agree though and I don't expect AoC to fall into the exploration category. I suspect they'll push PvP, so lots of small area combats, caravan paths and node battles.

I think after a while some players get tired of repetitive combat so they'll need other distractions and ways to get away from the hustle and bustle of metros and society in general. That's where exploration comes in. It's another game system for a player to fall into.

I know I reference SWG alot, but it did do a lot of things right. Their open world was pretty massive and there was definitely a sense of getting lost. I'm hoping AoC will have some of that.

I'm still hoping for that Bilbo moment where I'm out exploring and come across a cave in the mountains, and find that quest giver that no one has found prior that starts me on some unique quest, to kill 4 rats :) J/K on the 4 rats but you get the idea. Sends me into a mine or dungeon that is multiple levels, hundreds of levels deep that I can return back to town and tell friends about to come journey with me. Highly unlikely but I can hope...

• Options
    PromptlingPromptling Member
    edited September 2020
    I agree with OP. Let us create maps with waypoints, that can then be copied and distributed to friends.SWG did this fantastically well, and finding your friends in a large world might be challenging at times, but the positives that come with world immersion far outweigh the cons.

Also, I do worry that 480 might be too small.
  • Options
    Agreed. For all the negatives about No Man's Sky, what I really enjoyed about that game was this feeling of not knowing where I was. Same with Minecraft.

I think it's a crucial element of any sandbox game.
  • Options
    Sylvanar wrote: »

Edit: I am not trying to be negative, but I doubt living in stone age would be interesting after a day or 2 when you cant find the NPC to whom you have to submit the quest. It's just impractical.

All good, Sylvanar - I didn’t read your thoughts as negative. This point cracked me up though since Google maps didn’t exist for most of my life, and labeling that as ‘the stone age’ just made me smile.

I‘d suggest that the starting information available in AoC shouldn’t necessarily mirror the instant access to information available in real-life (which took generations). I learned land and sea navigation on paper maps/charts over years of practice and application. Yes, Google maps is a convenient tool. But it’s just A tool, not the only tool.

That said, I like the idea of creating a system where player made maps can become widespread, the better the cartographer, the more detailed and accurate the map. The knowledge of the world and it’s hidden places can evolve over time.

I think it would be original if we didn’t begin as if that evolution has already concluded.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    From the AoC Wiki
    The World of Verra features an in-game viewable world map. This map is not randomly generated, and begins covered in a fog of war. Players will not be able to see the world until they have explored it or gathered information about it. The world is also full of imperfect information, which will require the player to act on it for verification.

For example, you may hear a rumor in a tavern that tells you the location of a cave full of weak Kobolds, but this was not accurate as the rumor was started by well-equipped bandits in order to waylay overconfident adventurers.

When information is gathered, or the player has successfully explored an area, points of interest are marked on the map.

These points of interest are determined by Node progression; and not every server will share the same map, as player decisions will vary server to server.

It looks like what you are looking for is already being implemented.
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Those runs trying to get from Freeport to Qeynos back in the pre Planes-of-Power days were some of my favorite back in Everquest.
    Everquest > Everquest 2 > World of Warcraft > City of Heroes > Eve Online > Guild Wars 2 > Wildstar > Final Fantasy

• Options
    SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited September 2020
    I learned land and sea navigation on paper maps/charts over years of practice and application. Yes, Google maps is a convenient tool. But it’s just A tool, not the only tool.

That said, I like the idea of creating a system where player made maps can become widespread, the better the cartographer, the more detailed and accurate the map.

Maybe as a profession then?

Lets say the default map has the name of locations and stuff but apart from that barely any information. This way people who do not want to leave their comfort zone can still navigate from location A to location B, but not much else.

The cartographer can make notes on the map, highlight important routes, NPCs and stuff. I dont know much about this but whatever is possible. This way each cartographers will have a unique map. Maybe they can then sell their maps and earn in game currency from it. Map becomes more and more expensive with more information added to it.

@CROW3 maybe you can expand on this as I don't have any knowledge regarding cartography.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    DioclesDiocles Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm okay with what the Wiki describes for the map system, but I hope there aren't any player indicators on the world map. Cartography does sound like a cool skill, but how do you control level progression and map quality the way other artisan skills are? I agree though, mapping trails for hard to find locations or dungeons would be totally rad though. You could even sell misinformation >:) If cartography were somehow implemented, I think it probably better as a universal skill available to everyone.
  • Options
    RedFloRedFlo Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I like the idea in a some scenarios, but mostly I'm against it. Sure, the feeling of finding something new and interesting that wasn't pointed out to you on a map sounds really nice.

Having that on a map the size of Verra, makes this not sound so fun to me at all. At least give me some kind of map, to orientate myself.

Some people might really like the feeling of being lost, but most players might be turned down and stop playing because they can't find what they are looking for.
  • Options

Maybe as a profession then?

Lets say the default map has the name of locations and stuff but apart from that barely any information. This way people who do not want to leave their comfort zone can still navigate from location A to location B, but not much else.

The cartographer can make notes on the map, highlight important routes, NPCs and stuff. I dont know much about this but whatever is possible. This way each cartographers will have a unique map. Maybe they can then sell their maps and earn in game currency from it. Map becomes more and more expensive with more information added to it.

@CROW3 maybe you can expand on this as I don't have any knowledge regarding cartography.

Yeah... that’s where my imagination went too. 🙂

If I were going to sketch out an approach I’d start by asking some basic scoping questions:

- What are the core functions of a player’s world map? You could further break this down to must have, should have, nice to have.
    - Which of these capabilities should a player have by default, and which should be produced by a cartographer?
    - Where are the practical boundaries for a set of players? What would players enjoy, tolerate, or find frustrating?
    - What tools would a cartographer use and augment (e.g. compass, limner’s box, sextant, etc)?
    - What materials would a cartographer use (e.g. paper, ink, salt, etc)
    - What is the end result and how would that be acquired and consumed by a player?
    - What does the skill look like in game (i.e. a channeled spell, a mini-game, etc)?
    - Can the cartographer customize their creation with notes, icons, etc?
    - Are there other variables that should impact quality and accuracy (e.g. time of day, familiarity, reputation w/local box factions, elevation, etc)?
    - What would this look like at scale? I.e. with 10/1,000/10,000 cartographers...
    - Are there practical benefits to having a cartographer in your party that could lead to new discoveries in an area or dungeon (similar to rogue finding a secret passage)?
    - Are there special benefits / quests for cartographers that advance a node, or become available when a node advances?
    - Do certain races create better types of maps than others (e.g. maybe elves have a better sense of outdoor areas while dwarves have a better sense of dungeons)?
    - Can a disgruntled cartographer turn the tide of a node siege? I.e. here’s the back door... have fun!

Just some of the questions to help guide the way, then I would begin iterating from there until there was something worth shaking a stick at.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think that fog of war is sufficient. The game can create the sense of exploration by drawing out the map as I explore it rather than drawing the map myself. It will just look much better.
  • Options
    HurrikhanHurrikhan Member
    edited September 2020
    Exploration is my main drive.
    I wholeheartedly agree on the importance of getting lost.
  • Options
    1. Let me just point out that Verra is 480 sq. km.

2. If there were some perk to exploration like say general flight or teleportation then it would have some meaning otherwise what is the reward to taking this immensely time consuming risk?

3. This is not about leaving comfort zone. Let me paint a scenario:

A: There is a world boss spawning near *insert location name*.
    B: Ah, I dont know where that is...
    As there is no world map, your friend cannot even help you unless you have explored some common area to use as reference.

There is something wholly unique about being out there, away from ‘civilization’, being vulnerable, yet determined.

Make notes. Make mistakes. Get lost. Let there be a cost to exploration, risk, and consequences.

Ask your friend to tell you about some place like a restaurant or a building or anything about which you dont know anything. Dont ask anyone where that place is. Find that place without any help. Make notes. Make mistakes. Get lost. See if you like the experience.

The idea is to simulate being "away from civilization".

1. 480 sq km isn't as large as it may sound.
    2. I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. I'd say the ability to fly has meaning in and of itself?
    3. I guess that's down to the individual, I myself find it very easy to maintain location awareness in gaming and real life. I'm aware some people find that difficult. No matter what, there's nothing stopping people from making 3rd party maps and sending them to their guild members in Teamspeak or Discord.
    4. Rarely.
  • Options
    I agree that people should be able to add on to the existing map, but also there should be specialized maps, of certain nodes/ dungeons and stuff like that, which could be hung on tavern walls.
  • Options
    HystorixHystorix Member
    edited September 2020
    The last game I remember having to make my own maps and I had a giant three ring binder of every zone eventually was everquest ... I enjoyed that a lot ... modern games feel they have to have an in game map I guess for the impatient generation /shrug
  • Options
    Hystorix wrote: »
    modern games feel they have to have an in game map I guess for the impatient generation /shrug

Ah yes, the younger generations strike again.
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited September 2020
    I like the current idea of a World Map that comes all blacked out - Warcraft3's map fog of war comes to mind and I miss it dearly.

I hope you unlock 5 km² at a time when you discover a new location, so the entire map would be about 100 different locations to be discovered, not too much but not too easy, I wouldn't mind making it harder though. I would also like to have a compass and a way to know my current coordinate on the map.

Apart from that, I hope the rest will be an adventure.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever gotten, like legitimately, lost in an MMO; at least, none of the newer MMOs these days. I think back in FFXI there were times, when I entered a new zone and I didn't have a map for it yet, I had no idea where the next area would be and I ended up wandering around for a good while. It was pretty nerve-wracking back then, being that mobs could easily kill you and send you back to your last Homepoint(city or outpost you checked in to).

I liked the idea that players needed to actually buy maps from the vendors of a certain city/zone in order to get a map layout of the zone. Even better, that maps didn't have everything on them, it was just a barebones layout of like what you'd see someone draw of an area they ventured into. You had to place markers down on hidden areas, possible mob spawns, encampment, etc. Made the map feel more personal and made you want to look through every nook and cranny of that area to make sure you didn't miss any secrets.

I just don't know how AoC would do their map system, but I can see it being like all the newer MMOs today: Wander around and the map will fill out itself. That's not a bad thing though, but I agree on allowing the players to place markers down and edit the map with points of interest ourselves. I mean, we really shouldn't even have maps of this land to use, since it's been long gone and forgotten till now; according to lore, right?