Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Whats the future of the expansions in this game?

What do you think expansions are going to be like?
What do you want to see?
-Add the ability to get a third class?

-More archetypes?

-Exploring new worlds/planets (like outland in WoW), technically that's possible considering the people are returning from another world back to theirs?

-More professions?

-More to do with nodes and castles content?

-More to do with sea content?

Comments

• Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    Maybe a dual class system like L2. If you picked Fighter as your primary archetype you could swap to a different primary archetype, and then swap between the 2 after it was added in an later expansion and everybody already has their char at 50.

Don't think it should be in the game at launch, but a few years later to mix things up? Sure why not.
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited September 2020
    I'll loot all th' sea content I can get me matey, fer I be a cap'n.

Jokes aside, I would love to see a new archetype every 2 or 3 years. I don't want it to be more regular than that as then the devs will be busy with constantly fixing classes.

Primarily though, I just want more content. Raids, dungeons, gear, mounts, nodes, lore, you name it. I want it all.
  • Options
    Birthday wrote: »
    -More archetypes?

looks at exist g system of 64 "classes"

Yeah that would be....

Yeah
    :/

I would thi k in 2+yrs (post release and actually time to think of expanding) it would be traditional method of more dungeons and end game content with a possibility of expanding the known world.

I do not think increasing level cap or any sort of "power up" would be a good idea.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The possibilities are really endless with this....there could be another whole continent we cant even see that is veiled to us at this time. Sanctum could come under attack...who knows...I'm sure Steven has a plan, besides remember he has a scope creep notebook as well....so I dont think we have to worry too terribly much about expansions.:)
  • Options
    I agree with Balrog. My point is just, if they are gonna copy anyone, copy gw1 which kept a level cap and just introduced new content. That way everyone can enjoy it, and content at lower power levels doesn't become obsolete.
  • Options
    I want to see Submarines and Floating Guild Halls, in an expansion that will never come, because the players will be making the content. Besides, there is no retail box, for need of an expansion. 😁
  • Options
    Probably a new continent, that'd make the most sense.
  • Options
    I agree with Balrog. My point is just, if they are gonna copy anyone, copy gw1 which kept a level cap and just introduced new content. That way everyone can enjoy it, and content at lower power levels doesn't become obsolete.

Dont agree with that at all. This game should be about journey to end game, not the end game it self. So after a while whilst everyone is at max lvl, i think new expansion with new lvl cap, new gear etc, should be introduced. I use lineage as very good example, it was fun to play from minute 5, and you didnt need to reach max lvl or endgame for the game to be fun and certain aspects of the game to unlock. Most modern mmo's lack this, so players just rush to max level and then the "game starts".
  • Options
    Journey to the end game sounds better to me too.
    Specially since they have already said that the game has a lot of horizontal progression.
  • Options
    I agree with Mojottv. IS could also implement Sanctum or new continents for the future or just expeditions into foreign worlds, without leaving Verra as our home. With that Verra would still stay important for the players because they live there and the expeditions into foreign worlds would bring new content along
  • Options
    Well if you consider gw1, it was not hard to be lvl 10 at a minimum before leaving the starting area. And 20 was level cap. And then the journey to 20 represented a very small fraction of time spent exploring the rest of the game (as opposed to normal mmos taking 30hrs to explore the world and reach level cap, and then next 300 in a limited number of specific max level zones)

So using that as an example, I would love for ashes to make future expansions not at all dependent on an increase in level or ability. Instead just use the existing system and give us more stuff to explore.

You don't need a bigger fireball for that.
  • Options
    Well if you consider gw1, it was not hard to be lvl 10 at a minimum before leaving the starting area. And 20 was level cap. And then the journey to 20 represented a very small fraction of time spent exploring the rest of the game (as opposed to normal mmos taking 30hrs to explore the world and reach level cap, and then next 300 in a limited number of specific max level zones)

So using that as an example, I would love for ashes to make future expansions not at all dependent on an increase in level or ability. Instead just use the existing system and give us more stuff to explore.

You don't need a bigger fireball for that.

I dunno, maybe some people enjoy that, but i personally dont like pointless things. So running around new area and "exploring it" doesnt apeal to me. Why would i bother even killing new mobs there? I dont need exp, dont get better equipment whats the point?
  • Options
    Well, let's see... I like class "titles" but since there are too many already maybe that's not feasible. Like Archmagus, Arcane Summoner, etc. I would absolutely LOVE if they added more worlds down the road if they ever run into land "shortage", even if the world's only partially available. I expect story progress with new expansions aswell (preferrably in new worlds). I'd like quests to give a deeper meaning to our classes down the road through questing and discovery. I'd like an increased diversity to exploration like going underwater or another dimensions or solving puzzles to unlock previously inacessible areas (these would likely to be expanded caves which end up in open skies but inaccessible through flying). I'd like to meet important characters and help them with their struggles, effectively shifting the main role from my character and putting the focus on them (I don't like everything centered around myself). I'd like the world to retain some of its misteries but also unveil some stuff so it's not only full of endless speculation. Talking about new worlds again, I'd like a system to sail the space and deal with otherworldly creatures giving the universe a little more depth. I love how FFXIV approaches architecture and new races; it adds new flavors to every expansion in a way that today we have plenty of stories in all parts of both worlds (The Source/Eorzea and The First).
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    While the want for higher level caps is nice I really feel that its not needed. Why? This is what we have come to expect. Ashes is trying to break new ground and innovate, which is a nice breath of fresh air to the genre, and MUCH needed.
    I would much rather see them let us deep dive into our chosen class in a myriad of ways, and let us really tailor or characters how we want to play them or provide us new ways to play them. This of course would mean new abilities and spells, etc, and maybe even some new classes or archetypes along the way. There are many ways to become more powerful than by just a level increase.
    Of course new content is a must, and I'm sure Steven alone has a notebook full of ideas, and then you throw in his team with their ideas as well.
    The possibilities are endless, and I'm happy to see them break the mold that has had us stagnated for 10+ years.
  • Options
    Balrog21 wrote: »
    While the want for higher level caps is nice I really feel that its not needed. Why? This is what we have come to expect. Ashes is trying to break new ground and innovate, which is a nice breath of fresh air to the genre, and MUCH needed.
    I would much rather see them let us deep dive into our chosen class in a myriad of ways, and let us really tailor or characters how we want to play them or provide us new ways to play them. This of course would mean new abilities and spells, etc, and maybe even some new classes or archetypes along the way. There are many ways to become more powerful than by just a level increase.
    Of course new content is a must, and I'm sure Steven alone has a notebook full of ideas, and then you throw in his team with their ideas as well.
    The possibilities are endless, and I'm happy to see them break the mold that has had us stagnated for 10+ years.

Well, they do try to innovate, but not with everything, a lot of inspiration is taken from lineage 2. And new abilities? I agree, but do you just get them? Id rather you would earn them through higher lvls. And you get to higher lvls, by doing qiests, grinding mobs in new locations
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I can't even imagine talking about expansion expectations/ideas on a game 1-2 years from even releasing.....
  • Options
    @Mojottv no, no freebies at all, you have to earn it and that can be done with tougher and new mobs not just higher level mobs, their ai could be tuned to give you quite a challenge.
    Learning should be a journey with exploration, new mobs, new materials, etc.
    What I mean by deep diving was lets say you are a mage and you want to specialize in nothing but electricity attacks, there would be a quest path or exploration path that would let you do that, all be it you have to search the world for the answers and knowledge to do so, and this could lead to instance content, open world content, new infiltrating nodes content, etc. This could equate to the trade skills as well, being new patterns, new objects to make, and new flora or fauna to be discovered in the new content as well. But nothing should just be given to you. As long as it's new content that adds entertainment or new ways to play I think all will be good.
  • Options
    Mojottv wrote: »

Dont agree with that at all. This game should be about journey to end game, not the end game it self. So after a while whilst everyone is at max lvl, i think new expansion with new lvl cap, new gear etc, should be introduced. I use lineage as very good example, it was fun to play from minute 5, and you didnt need to reach max lvl or endgame for the game to be fun and certain aspects of the game to unlock. Most modern mmo's lack this, so players just rush to max level and then the "game starts".

Please no, do not raise the level cap every 2 years. This is what WoW did and it just makes thinks ridiculous after a while. That and the constant need to re-gear yourself every time an expansion comes out. This is one of the main reasons why I left WoW because i had experienced cap raising before in other MMOs and hated it.

IMHO, the only way to go it lateral progression. This can be seen in games like ESO, WAR, DAoC and I'm sure there are others.

I also disagree with the idea that the game should be all about the journey to cap level. While that journey should be still be fun, eventually you WILL reach cap level and then what? I have become attached to the character I created so I want to continue playing them but if there is nothing for me to do except roll alts I will be passing. The journey to cap is your training period and cap level is where you should, as a seasoned player, get to use everything you've learned for even greater challenges.

isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    PlagueMonk wrote: »

Please no, do not raise the level cap every 2 years. This is what WoW did and it just makes thinks ridiculous after a while. That and the constant need to re-gear yourself every time an expansion comes out. This is one of the main reasons why I left WoW because i had experienced cap raising before in other MMOs and hated it.

IMHO, the only way to go it lateral progression. This can be seen in games like ESO, WAR, DAoC and I'm sure there are others.

I also disagree with the idea that the game should be all about the journey to cap level. While that journey should be still be fun, eventually you WILL reach cap level and then what? I have become attached to the character I created so I want to continue playing them but if there is nothing for me to do except roll alts I will be passing. The journey to cap is your training period and cap level is where you should, as a seasoned player, get to use everything you've learned for even greater challenges.

You missed my point by quite a lot. Wow is completely different game, its one of the games where you don't really play, you do chores until you supposedly reach lvl cap, then you go do some dungeons, get best gear, then a bit of pvp and then you wait for next expansion to do the same.

And btw, i was saying reaching endgame not Lvl cap.

In games like lineage was basically no end game, even though you reached the max lvl, got sp to learn all abilities, you would still need to gear up, and getting best gear and upgrading it with right augments and enchanting the weapons to +10, would be extremely hard, not even talking about epic juvelery, owning a castle etc etc. And yet even not achieving these things it was still fun playing and there was always something to strive for.

Well were not gonna agree on this because we have different outlook on why there is lvls and lvl cap. For me lvl cap is not when you can say you finished training and youre seasoned player, for me, reaching lvl cap should show that you're seasoned player and you know what you doing. It shouldn't be training excersize, it should be a challenge that you have to beat.
  • Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited September 2020
    PlagueMonk wrote: »

You missed my point by quite a lot. Wow is completely different game, its one of the games where you don't really play, you do chores until you supposedly reach lvl cap, then you go do some dungeons, get best gear, then a bit of pvp and then you wait for next expansion to do the same.

And btw, i was saying reaching endgame not Lvl cap.

In games like lineage was basically no end game, even though you reached the max lvl, got sp to learn all abilities, you would still need to gear up, and getting best gear and upgrading it with right augments and enchanting the weapons to +10, would be extremely hard, not even talking about epic juvelery, owning a castle etc etc. And yet even not achieving these things it was still fun playing and there was always something to strive for.

Well were not gonna agree on this because we have different outlook on why there is lvls and lvl cap. For me lvl cap is not when you can say you finished training and youre seasoned player, for me, reaching lvl cap should show that you're seasoned player and you know what you doing. It shouldn't be training excersize, it should be a challenge that you have to beat.

Well no, I didn't miss any point. I just chose to comment on the things I strongly disagreed with. You mentioned raising the cap level so casually, like it was a natural progression path for any MMO. I of course am completely against level cap raising for the reasons I stated above.

As for endgame vs level cap, now you are just arguing semantics and they are essentially the same. If, for example the games hard cap is say 50 (e.i. no one will progress past that) then 'endgame' will start at what the general population deems the 'softcap'. Again its pretty much the same.

For the record I have played games with no end game and frankly it sucked. Your only choice at that point was to either stand around in the main gathering place and look cool or to roll an alt. This is not how I want AoC to work.

Then I have also played games like DAoC and ESO where the real game does literally start once you hit the cap. Not that the journey to reach cap level wasn't enjoyable and there is no reason to rush to reach it. This is when you are really prepared however to go out and do the big boy stuff like the major raids and of course RvR.

isFikWd2_o.jpg