Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Empty court room for mock trials and court garb outfits

VediaVedia Member
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Many people probably would like to see a judicial system like archeage has, although such a complex system isn't needed. Giving players an empty courtroom and a filler quest obtainable from a court officer NPC like archeage has (complete jury duty 10 times, although it can be any somewhat related legal task to find apprehend criminal NPCs or something, and when you find them it spawns sherrif NPCs which have a dialogue script with the NPCs you have to find before the quest and sherrif NPCs despawn) to get court garb opens up the possibility for players to use that space to conduct mock trials on PKers and guild members, which is something people have been doing in games, albeit appropriating spaces and outfits, for a long time.

Normally land assets just get looked over but this is one of the instances where room design carries meaningful benefits for player freedom.

Comments

• Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited October 2020
    Heh, would be amusing, but if I was a PKer, I just wouldn't turn up.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    VediaVedia Member
    edited October 2020
    daveywavey wrote: »

The idea is more for guild members who have pked members of the community or other guild members. It's a good idea for hardcore servers, as even if you didn't show up your absence would be taken as guilt by the community members seeking to have a mock trial against you, and you could be removed from a guild as a result of your non attendance (convicted in absentia), if you killed a guild member on a hardcore server, or members of the community and you were reported to your guild, for example, and if you were notified by PM or in game mail well in advance of the community's intention to have a trial against you.

It would actually encourage PKing guilds to stay quite secretive about their motives lest they become exposed and become targets for other guilds.
  • Options
    VyrakaVyraka Member, Alpha One
    I'd imagine that would depend on the node and whether the mayor actually builds a court. Plus militaristic courts would be different then scientific or economic.
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Vyraka.png
  • Options
    VediaVedia Member
    edited October 2020
    My underlying point is you wouldn't need a complex system, players have proven they can and are willing to do that on their own for fun, but yeah I agree each town mayor could encourage a precedent for guilds to comply with different rules for judicial trials within the jurisdiction of the landmass they control.

Ace Attorney online and Ultima Online immediately come to mind when talking about games which don't innately have a judicial system but people reappropriate areas in game to have mock trials, or games where people set the structure of trials on their own and don't have any underlying mechanic to do so, just a platform to enable trials to happen but not force them to occur in any specific way.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Vedia wrote: »

The idea is more for guild members who have pked members of the community or other guild members. It's a good idea for hardcore servers, as even if you didn't show up your absence would be taken as guilt by the community members seeking to have a mock trial against you, and you could be removed from a guild as a result of your non attendance (convicted in absentia), if you killed a guild member on a hardcore server, or members of the community and you were reported to your guild, for example, and if you were notified by PM or in game mail well in advance of the community's intention to have a trial against you.

It would actually encourage PKing guilds to stay quite secretive about their motives lest they become exposed and become targets for other guilds.

Why would hardcore guilds care about RP stuff like that?
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Talents wrote: »

B/c they're Hardcore RP guilds?
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    if they copy pasted archeage's court system into ashes I would have no issues at all. Even if you are not corrupted, randomly attacking enemy guilds within certain populated areas should come with the risk that if you die in said area you go to court and get read off your crimes for that lifetime, ultimately ending in a jury's verdict. Then in prison they could have tasks to do in order to reduce time spent in there and give back some of the exp you lost when you died. (if the exp thing is actually a thing I cant remember)
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Talents wrote: »
    Vedia wrote: »

The statement was hardcore servers, not hardcore guilds. Hardcore servers in games refers to permanent character death on the first death. Such servers have not been announced for Ashes so far.