Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Sea shanties and Idle chatter

I was watching a youtube video from AC Black Flag ... I think it would be cool to have sea shanties sung by your crew (NPC) or (Players) it would add so much to immersion. It could include added benefits to increase group morale etc. Maybe find rare ancient songs that would do X.

In the towns you can hear idle chatter if youre in the bar / town as events unfold, gossip etc. It would make the game feel more live. In the mountains you can have drunken dwarfs singing songs of adventures (racial songs?)

I get that VA would have to be considered and debated with time, budget

Comments

• Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Always loved me a good tavern song in Skyrim.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2020
    Guys voice acting is expensive and AoC doesnt aim to offer leading themepark mmo experience. Dont put your hopes up.

Money is better spend on the social systems vision for the game
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    Guys voice acting is expensive and AoC doesnt aim to offer leading themepark mmo experience. Dont put your hopes up.

Money is better spend on the social systems vision for the game

I agree with you one hundred percent, but a few well placed songs could end up being a fan favorite.

Imagine if there was something like the this when you walk into a tavern:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmRWVZ5ny0I&ab_channel=AvalonPhoenix

I want all of the time and money to go to the vision of the game as well, but I would not be upset if they had a few well placed bards doing passive world building.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm hoping, since towns and cities and Castle ownership are not static - players will have plenty of banter and gossip to offer - regardless of what NPCs might talk about.
    Player characters might choose to write some poems and songs, too.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I think it might be better to develop ship and house systems that enable you to play your desktop music playlist to your ingame assets and visitors/members can hear it.

If it's cheaper than voice acting and music combosition.

A good soundtrack is a must for the environment tho.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    Player characters might choose to write some poems and songs, too.

This is something I expect to see those with more talent than me to do.

Since this kind of thing is fairly server specific, I can even see people that are actually good at it being asked to write songs for servers other than those they play on.
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited November 2020
    People in your guild could end up singing sea shanties and what not at the very least.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    LyiatLyiat Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think it might be better to develop ship and house systems that enable you to play your desktop music playlist to your ingame assets and visitors/members can hear it.

This is a terrible idea. Do you want Intrepid to get sued into the ground for copyright infringement? You can't build a system to let people just openly play music like that. There are licenses and permits you need for that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Lyiat wrote: »

This is a terrible idea. Do you want Intrepid to get sued into the ground for copyright infringement? You can't build a system to let people just openly play music like that. There are licenses and permits you need for that sort of thing.

Do discord/ts/ventrilo have these licenses?
  • Options
    LyiatLyiat Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Lyiat wrote: »

Do discord/ts/ventrilo have these licenses?

That's completely different... Discord can't control what you play into an open microphone. They're not held legally responsible for that. If Discord built a system that let you stream music *directly into the program* then they'd get in trouble. We also know Ashes doesn't currently have plans for voice chat. It's the same reason why Twitch blams people who play copywritten music on their streams, because if they *don't* then the copyright companies will come after Twitch.
  • Options
    Makes sense. Not something that goes through ur head with you think about just the good times to come with aoc
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I love the songs on the boat in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. It adds a lot of flavor.

It isn’t voice acting, it’s a soundtrack. We have Bear freaking McCreary doing the game’s soundtrack for crying out loud. He’s won a number of awards including an Emmy for his soundtracks. Clearly Intrepid isn’t shy about spending some money for a good soundtrack. Nobody is asking to voice the whole game like Star Wars: The Old Republic, it’s just a handful of songs.

I’d like it if different races have different songs. In Assassin’s Creed Odyssey for example, they had the same songs but a male crew would sing in a male voice and females in a female voice, which added enough realism to add something to the game’s atmosphere. Ashes could go further with songs per race.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »
    I love the songs on the boat in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. It adds a lot of flavor.

It isn’t voice acting, it’s a soundtrack. We have Bear freaking McCreary doing the game’s soundtrack for crying out loud. He’s won a number of awards including an Emmy for his soundtracks. Clearly Intrepid isn’t shy about spending some money for a good soundtrack. Nobody is asking to voice the whole game like Star Wars: The Old Republic, it’s just a handful of songs.

I’d like it if different races have different songs. In Assassin’s Creed Odyssey for example, they had the same songs but a male crew would sing in a male voice and females in a female voice, which added enough realism to add something to the game’s atmosphere. Ashes could go further with songs per race.

I know want go go Godzilla on my boat
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace