Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Probably my biggest hope for this game and the hardest nut to crack too.

Over everything this game plans to do and involve itself in... the #1 thing for me is absolutely the tagline of "Giving reason to PVP again"..... It's more than that though. I don't want just another MMO where pvp'ing gives you gear to pvp more with and etc endless cycle. I don't want another "I'll get geared so I can gank whoever I choose" either. I want to be able to log in each day and question what I may be able to do and what could happen with my decisions. I want to know if I attack that caravan, that I'm risking an entire legion of players knowing to kill me on sight next time I cross their paths and mess with their supplies. I want to make deals with other guilds in siege defenses and offenses, or who will be the next mayor or what will impact the economy if so and so gets such and such.

I want there to be an actual engagement to know that pvp doesn't just have a reason again... but is more meaningful than just "lol, me attack guy and me win things". I want to question if I should stand up against odds greater than myself, to make negotiations in place of areas I could just as easily conquer. I want to login and ask "who's been playing Robin Hood with my caravans?" so I can find them myself, hire guards, or setup strategies to prevent this type of situation....

This in my opinion is one of the hardest things that will be to nail down in this game. Many games attempt ideas like this but ultimately it falls into the community's hands whether or not they find the ideals important or not. I've been playing my usual games every day and I'm always feeling empty or at a loss even when they're pvp games. Going "sure I could win... but what's the point? I neither see the person again or make an impact on something larger than my own success". It's that something I hope Ashes of Creation can fill the void in, knowing my own actions, a group's actions, armies decisions can do something that affects long term impacts on the game's world and the communities within them. Bonds broken, friends made, conquests, contracts, value in war economy, values in the decisions between all of these things. Knowing a war won comes with responsibilities shared with allies and enemies; creating a form of recognition that spans across the map to make others question "what's their deal in taking this castle? Who are they and who are they allied with? Should we ally with them or take over?".

I want more than just for PVP to have meaning. I want to login wondering what changes could I be apart of today that could get me glory or infamy. What can I do to paint my own story and impact the in game's world? Lord I cannot wait for this game.
Future mercenary guild owner in Ashes of Creation
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Comments

• ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm hoping for a DAoC format, with ranks that literally take years to achieve. Something to work towards after leveling is done. That being said something for crafters and PVE players as well, so they don't feel like they HAVE to PvP. Which I can understand, because I don't want to PVE anymore than I have too,

DAoC, and Warhammer Online had nice after level progressions for PvP.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn
  • MorekMorek Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Honestly, I just want to be able to log in, load into my character, and take a sip of my coffee or tea with a sigh of relief that this game is finally MY reality. What can I say... I am a simple man.
    giphy.gif
  • Morek wrote: »
    Honestly, I just want to be able to log in, load into my character, and take a sip of my coffee or tea with a sigh of relief that this game is finally MY reality. What can I say... I am a simple man.

I'm with you on this.

To me meaningful PvP comes from fighting for something. Whether that be to attack or defend a node. To acquire or defend resources. For or against an in game religion, etc.

Meaning is victory or defeat having consequences.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2021
    This is the biggest nut for them to crack.
    https://giphy.com/gifs/dance-disney-gif-zV9xqOc03a7Ju
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg