Please change the name Cleric

2

Comments

  • On a more-serious matter, it's interesting that the Wiki doesn't state that Clerics will need to be of any religion:

    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cleric


    Yours truly will be playing a Cleric-main (I usually always play healers as a main toon, in any game), and I have to say that it's quite petty that you would carry over your "Tanks shouldn't be called Tanks" argument into this type of medium.



    I would say that this discussion is more important. The name cleric, from my understanding of the word, indicate that the healing will only be by the holy power of God (heavy influence from christianity), and the animations of the cleric support this (golden light in every spell).

    However, many many cultures use other ways of healing, mainly through the elements. Heat, steam, water, ice, herbs/plants and more. From the name cleric, all of these type of healing won't exist.
  • akabearakabear Member, Founder
    daveywavey wrote: »
    We need to do one for "Rogue" next.

    The looking forward to the debates about items as they are revealed and the nomenclature and imagery such as should wood be called timber, that flour looks more like grain, that icon does not resemble X, the color of the arrow heads is wrong and spoils all emersion that I cannot play a ranged class.
  • akabear wrote: »
    daveywavey wrote: »
    We need to do one for "Rogue" next.

    The looking forward to the debates about items as they are revealed and the nomenclature and imagery such as should wood be called timber, that flour looks more like grain, that icon does not resemble X, the color of the arrow heads is wrong and spoils all emersion that I cannot play a ranged class.

    jokes on you they all have abstract fantasy names even though they look like flour, wheat, and wood.

    The more you cry about this the more I support names like TANK.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    rikardp98 wrote: »
    On a more-serious matter, it's interesting that the Wiki doesn't state that Clerics will need to be of any religion:

    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cleric


    Yours truly will be playing a Cleric-main (I usually always play healers as a main toon, in any game), and I have to say that it's quite petty that you would carry over your "Tanks shouldn't be called Tanks" argument into this type of medium.



    I would say that this discussion is more important. The name cleric, from my understanding of the word, indicate that the healing will only be by the holy power of God (heavy influence from christianity), and the animations of the cleric support this (golden light in every spell).

    However, many many cultures use other ways of healing, mainly through the elements. Heat, steam, water, ice, herbs/plants and more. From the name cleric, all of these type of healing won't exist.

    This is speculation on my part, but since we know clerics are masters of The Essence, and we know The Essence is not derrived from the gods - but rather is parallel to them - then it makes perfect sense that clerics in Ashes do not need to worship a god.

    I would argue that many clerics have a level of disdain for the gods, as the gods are using the exact same forces as clerics are using.

    So, essentially, in Ashes a cleric is someone that uses the same forces that the gods use, rather than someone that asks the gods to give them power (which is the case in most other fantasy).

    While this may mean that the term cleric in Ashes is slightly different than it is in other games, I would argue from that perspective that it is still the most accurate of existing well known terms to use for the archetype.
  • Mennis wrote: »
    In my opinion it's only a partial thing, after lvl25 we are not going to see the name at all so I just dont get it why people are bothered by it so much.

    I don't think people are going to refer to each other by the 64 class names. If you need a tank for a raid, you're going to say "tank" or whatever archetype terminology the devs settle on (Pretty sure they're leaning towards Tank - but you never know)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men
    Tank + Tank = Guardian Thicc Boy
    E6qgOoi.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds
    Sathrago wrote: »
    akabear wrote: »
    daveywavey wrote: »
    We need to do one for "Rogue" next.

    The looking forward to the debates about items as they are revealed and the nomenclature and imagery such as should wood be called timber, that flour looks more like grain, that icon does not resemble X, the color of the arrow heads is wrong and spoils all emersion that I cannot play a ranged class.

    jokes on you they all have abstract fantasy names even though they look like flour, wheat, and wood.

    The more you cry about this the more I support names like TANK.

    So you’re openly admitting to being a troll? At least you’re honest about that.
    U752vHP.png
  • Atama wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »
    akabear wrote: »
    daveywavey wrote: »
    We need to do one for "Rogue" next.

    The looking forward to the debates about items as they are revealed and the nomenclature and imagery such as should wood be called timber, that flour looks more like grain, that icon does not resemble X, the color of the arrow heads is wrong and spoils all emersion that I cannot play a ranged class.

    jokes on you they all have abstract fantasy names even though they look like flour, wheat, and wood.

    The more you cry about this the more I support names like TANK.

    So you’re openly admitting to being a troll? At least you’re honest about that.

    I can make valid points and enjoy people foaming at the mouth about it at the same time.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    Please change the name Ranger to Shooty McSharpstick.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • maouw wrote: »
    I don't think people are going to refer to each other by the 64 class names. If you need a tank for a raid, you're going to say "tank" or whatever archetype terminology the devs settle on (Pretty sure they're leaning towards Tank - but you never know)

    It's true but, isnt that going to be determined by the server itself rather than the name of it? And i was thinking about just when you see a character or inspect them thats when you are not going too see the name that often.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    Mennis wrote: »
    maouw wrote: »
    I don't think people are going to refer to each other by the 64 class names. If you need a tank for a raid, you're going to say "tank" or whatever archetype terminology the devs settle on (Pretty sure they're leaning towards Tank - but you never know)

    It's true but, isnt that going to be determined by the server itself rather than the name of it? And i was thinking about just when you see a character or inspect them thats when you are not going too see the name that often.

    Nope, was changed after people complained about "threat determination." The only info that you won't be able to tell at a glance left is actual hit points (unless grouped, or part of same affiliation) and specific gear. You will know what tier and type people are wearing. Can't wait if they create 64 different icon displays for each combo that people have to memorize. Most can't remember a 6 digit password.

    Nameplate
    A character's nameplate is displayed above their head.[12]

    This can be the first or last name (family name).[12]
    The name of the character's Guild is displayed next to their name.[13]
    The character's nameplate will deteriorate to give an indication of how much damage they have taken.[14][7][15]
    An icon will identify the character's class.[16]
    Hovering over the user's nameplate will show information such as level, their class name and archetype combo.[16]
    A buff icon indicates the character's gear and grade.[16][17][18]
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • @Jahlon

    "Tanks" can spec for damage dealers too.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack
    Marcet wrote: »
    @Jahlon

    "Tanks" can spec for damage dealers too.

    True
    But no other Archetype can spec for Main Tank
    27eAoL8.png
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    Marcet wrote: »

    "Tanks" can spec for damage dealers too.
    But damage isn't part of the tanks identity, where the death aspect of cleric is.
    smallerLizard.jpg
  • uaouao Member, Braver of Worlds
    while we are at it, lets change the name 'ashes of creation' to 'pc game' to keep things consistent.
  • Oooweee a few more of these and we're gonna have to get ourselves a bigger merge button...

    <3
    3ztrsitvhj3s.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds
    Oooweee a few more of these and we're gonna have to get ourselves a bigger merge button...

    <3

    You'll need a forum Black Hole to suck them all in.
    U752vHP.png
  • Oooweee a few more of these and we're gonna have to get ourselves a bigger merge button...

    <3

    Whateeeeeever do you mean? This one is clearly about clerics and nothing else ;)
  • Why do people miss the part where Clerics literally contain damage augment builds.
    Also, might as well change the name Rogue, as it comes from old french for "Arrogant".
    Might as well change the name mage as it refers to a long since extinct tribe of mesopotamian people and claim it's to defeat cultural appropriation, and might as well ask for Rangers to be renamed since they are not 100% ranged (without knowing what "patrolling the range" refers to)

    Tank is fine as a class name, it means you are heavily armored and so does Cleric as it means you are wearing vestments/identifying garbs (that is the literal meaning of the word from the greek root, christianity has NOTHING to do with it).

    Shamans, witch doctors, and real physicians are viewed as "people of the cloth".

    Hope this helped defeat the stigma of "Clerics are healbots", cause sooner or later one High Priest player will come out and Death Magic people in the face and every single misconception will be brutally dispelled.
  • Who gives a holy f..k what it's called.
    Some people really have to much time on their hands. :wink:
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds
    Tank is fine as a class name, it means you are heavily armored
    Just like all the armored military vehicles we will be seeing in Verra, right? Perfectly fine name.
    U752vHP.png
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Cruore wrote: »
    Who gives a holy f..k what it's called.
    Some people really have to much time on their hands. :wink:

    /breathless gasp

    BLASPHEMER!

    If you're going to be a passionate about something, it might as well be class names for an upcoming MMO that you've throw too much money at untold-months before release.
    Right?
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Oooweee a few more of these and we're gonna have to get ourselves a bigger merge button...

    <3

    /e innocent look

    What do you mean?
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited February 18
    Jahlon wrote: »
    Marcet wrote: »
    @Jahlon

    "Tanks" can spec for damage dealers too.

    True
    But no other Archetype can spec for Main Tank

    Just point me in the direction of the Main Healer, so I can look down my stately nose at all the grubby non-main-healer Clerics, as they squabble over deeps with the other dim-eyed, two-bit, ner'-do-well iron slappers.

    /e brushes an imaginary crumb off the velvet hem of his brocade tunic
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Atama wrote: »
    Tank is fine as a class name, it means you are heavily armored
    Just like all the armored military vehicles we will be seeing in Verra, right? Perfectly fine name.

    I assume we'll be seeing Ford Rangers as well, right?

    Or is that another name to change?
  • Why do people miss the part where Clerics literally contain damage augment builds.
    Also, might as well change the name Rogue, as it comes from old french for "Arrogant".
    Might as well change the name mage as it refers to a long since extinct tribe of mesopotamian people and claim it's to defeat cultural appropriation, and might as well ask for Rangers to be renamed since they are not 100% ranged (without knowing what "patrolling the range" refers to)

    Tank is fine as a class name, it means you are heavily armored and so does Cleric as it means you are wearing vestments/identifying garbs (that is the literal meaning of the word from the greek root, christianity has NOTHING to do with it).

    Shamans, witch doctors, and real physicians are viewed as "people of the cloth".

    Hope this helped defeat the stigma of "Clerics are healbots", cause sooner or later one High Priest player will come out and Death Magic people in the face and every single misconception will be brutally dispelled.

    Just because they have damage augments does not mean other archetypes get healing augments.

    Cleric is synonymous with healer until they come out with a way to completely remove its ability to heal or give other roles the ability to become a main healer. Yes, main healer, as in an actual full on healer. As far as we know, only the cleric can do such a thing.

    Shamans, witch doctors, and real physicians are people specialized in healing arts, and they can also use that knowledge to hurt people. But they wouldnt be Shamans, witch doctors, and real physicians if they couldn't heal people. They would be mages, summoners, and rogues.
  • Nerror wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Ranger should be "Ranged DeePeeEs".
    No! A ranger is not defined as someone using ranged weapons!

    A ranger is someone who works on ranges, usually protecting them. There are mountain ranges, forest ranges and rangelands for example. These rangers would typically be called forest rangers or mountain rangers in the first two categories.

    Rangers can also work on rangelands, which are are grasslands, shrublands, woodlands, wetlands, and deserts that are grazed by domestic livestock or wild animals. Types of rangelands include tallgrass and shortgrass prairies, desert grasslands and shrublands, woodlands, savannas, chaparrals, steppes, and tundras.

    I think this topic about naming rangers merits its own long thread.

    To name a couple of famous rangers, we have
    1. Strider, aka Aragorn. He's certainly not defined by his ranged weapon usage.

    2. We have Walker, Texas ranger. He's using his gun a lot, sure, but what does he do in the first pilot episode of the show? Kicks ass in a bar fight! No ranged weapons.

    We also have rangers apprentice. Bows. Bows. More bows. Why are there so many bows?
  • 100%.
  • Nerror wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Ranger should be "Ranged DeePeeEs".
    No! A ranger is not defined as someone using ranged weapons!

    A ranger is someone who works on ranges, usually protecting them. There are mountain ranges, forest ranges and rangelands for example. These rangers would typically be called forest rangers or mountain rangers in the first two categories.

    Rangers can also work on rangelands, which are are grasslands, shrublands, woodlands, wetlands, and deserts that are grazed by domestic livestock or wild animals. Types of rangelands include tallgrass and shortgrass prairies, desert grasslands and shrublands, woodlands, savannas, chaparrals, steppes, and tundras.

    I think this topic about naming rangers merits its own long thread.

    To name a couple of famous rangers, we have
    1. Strider, aka Aragorn. He's certainly not defined by his ranged weapon usage.

    2. We have Walker, Texas ranger. He's using his gun a lot, sure, but what does he do in the first pilot episode of the show? Kicks ass in a bar fight! No ranged weapons.

    You make a good point. Let's change the name of ranger to just RANGE. This makes more sense.
  • maouwmaouw Member
    edited February 18
    "I'm looking forward to playing healer in
    Khronus wrote: »
    Nerror wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Ranger should be "Ranged DeePeeEs".
    No! A ranger is not defined as someone using ranged weapons!

    A ranger is someone who works on ranges, usually protecting them. There are mountain ranges, forest ranges and rangelands for example. These rangers would typically be called forest rangers or mountain rangers in the first two categories.

    Rangers can also work on rangelands, which are are grasslands, shrublands, woodlands, wetlands, and deserts that are grazed by domestic livestock or wild animals. Types of rangelands include tallgrass and shortgrass prairies, desert grasslands and shrublands, woodlands, savannas, chaparrals, steppes, and tundras.

    I think this topic about naming rangers merits its own long thread.

    To name a couple of famous rangers, we have
    1. Strider, aka Aragorn. He's certainly not defined by his ranged weapon usage.

    2. We have Walker, Texas ranger. He's using his gun a lot, sure, but what does he do in the first pilot episode of the show? Kicks ass in a bar fight! No ranged weapons.

    You make a good point. Let's change the name of ranger to just RANGE. This makes more sense.

    idk. I really like the name "Shooter" or "piew piew"
    I wish I were deep and tragic
Sign In or Register to comment.