Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Make starting villages hard again

mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited February 2021 in General Discussion
Starting villages are currently designed to teach and I agree with this completely. They teach new adventures:
  1. The games UI
  2. Movement
  3. Combat
  4. Quest system
  5. Introduction to storyline
  6. And a bunch more things

Once the player grasps these concepts, they can easily bypass this area if they reroll or start on a new server. The game even encourages this behavior with having a toggle button, found in some UI menu, to “Disable hints/tutorials”. This is designed to minimize the taxing early level grind and stop popup fatigue (as relates to the hints).

With Ashes there is two important concepts I feel the starting village also needs to teach a player:
-
  1. This game is HARD
  2. AoC is not forgiving of death
-
To do this let us make the starting village surrounding mob camps pretty hard. To first timers it will feel like a crawl out of the starting village for sure, but when they scrape their way out they’ll see just how big the game really is and that it was worth slowing down and not just rushing through content. Hopefully with the struggle they had with killing a few bears they wont underestimate what they see before them.

For veteran players I hope it encourages them to see others around them and instead of easily ignoring them because “I just need to get past this BS so I can start having real fun”. If you really want to “just get through this” then find you a noob and party up and play mentor. You know you are all guilty of seeing someone struggling while you bolt past them to get to your mailbox or a teleport. I hope it will also play as an obstacle for quick rerolls. I’m not saying people shouldn’t reroll, but in fact really get into their roll and layout a well thought out plan. Because screw those red bears, with an agro leash for days, that’s just outside starting zone A.

TLDR;
Starting villages are just meant to teach basics and nothing more. They should have hard mobs to also teach caution and death system. Veterans could take the opportunity to assists new players to “get through” the starting zones faster.

E6qgOoi.png

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just throw people into the wild. It don't get much harder than that.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I didn't think there would be a starting "village" until the players started doing stuff and the area leveled up. I might be wrong but once the node's naturally start leveling (as the starting zones will be semi-heavily populated) the content should increase in scale to match the node's level...I think. So the starting area's should be fairly friendly to both new and older players
  • Options
    Starting areas

There've been a few videos about this but this wiki post explains the highlights. Also, if you care much about lore this is where the Divine Gateways are located and where we, as players, came from Sanctus to Verra.

As for your comment about scaling I'm guess the starting areas will be quite a bit away from nodes to allow the node to grow and level. I'd assume they are going to be geographically located around multiple nodes as to not steer players to one single node more then another.
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    mrwaffles wrote: »
    Starting areas

There've been a few videos about this but this wiki post explains the highlights. Also, if you care much about lore this is where the Divine Gateways are located and where we, as players, came from Sanctus to Verra.

As for your comment about scaling I'm guess the starting areas will be quite a bit away from nodes to allow the node to grow and level. I'd assume they are going to be geographically located around multiple nodes as to not steer players to one single node more then another.

Yeah, my solution would be to just have the divine gates in a node that is just locked at node level 0 or 1, and unaffected, by surrounding nodes. Throw in some race related architecture and call it a day. I don't think it needs to be more complex than that.

A well written in-game reference manual, and the community can fill out the rest.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Just throw people into the wild. It don't get much harder than that.

It's extremely funny to me in particular because I did this exact same thing to my current dnd group. They have been in the jungles and swamp lands for literal months being attacked by all sorts of "fun" and totally not scary creatures.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    It's extremely funny to me in particular because I did this exact same thing to my current dnd group. They have been in the jungles and swamp lands for literal months being attacked by all sorts of "fun" and totally not scary creatures.
    My favorite style of DMing is where you have a rough idea of the world, but no particular plans for the players. Let the story develop as the players try to fulfill their own ambitions. It can start with something simple like: "I need to find a blacksmith to get better armor.", and turn into the players trying to take back iron mines from goblin warlords. Then you just leave possible things for them to hook on or not. To me its way better than making or running a module. As a player I tend to get frustrated playing modules, because I feel like DMs are put off by my wacky solutions to situations. "Well it doesn't say anything about it in the book so I guess it doesn't work...". Stuff I never want to hear.

As it relates to starting areas. Most games will make you play though zone after zone of preplanned story. It is also common for a game to let you choose zone a or b at level 10 or something. I like a game where I can go straight into the caves, and start mining. Then I realize that monsters in the cave mess me up. So now I am motivated to grind some levels and gold to do well in the mines. It is not exactly like the open world DMing style I described, but closer to it than quest chains.

FFXI, Darkfall, Lineage 2, SWG, Mortal Online, UO, were all like this when I played them.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/World_map#/media/File:map2.jpg
    The map of Verra shows the starting areas (divine gateways) and two starting settlements attached to each.
    Wandering Mist posted a good video recently on implementing tutorials. I'm in favor of being able to skip any tutorial and just look things up in a codex (or ask guildmates, or google) when I need to know something.

Google "viva la dirt league souls logic" if you want an adult comedy take on starting a tough single player RPG.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI0n42t4_0g
    There's a lot of moments I can relate to. "rolypoly" made me laugh hard.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I can see where you are coming from but you have to be careful putting a large difficulty spike in the very beginning of the game.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I get the draw of a hard MMO, but I really don't think AoC needs to be at a Souls level to achieve that. A lot of the suggestions I see concerning starting zones are outright masochist and borderline sadist.

The PvP part of the game already guarantees there will be plenty of PKers camping any area around a starting zone and going from a brutal PvE straight into a mob of players will likely turn into a gauntlet of frustration and wasted time than a fun game experience
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    McMackMuck wrote: »
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/World_map#/media/File:map2.jpg
    The map of Verra shows the starting areas (divine gateways) and two starting settlements attached to each.
    Wandering Mist posted a good video recently on implementing tutorials. I'm in favor of being able to skip any tutorial and just look things up in a codex (or ask guildmates, or google) when I need to know something.

Thanks for the video that was hilarious!

This is kind of my point. The one thing Dark Souls does to new players is pretty much teach them that this is going to hurt. I'm all in favor of skipping tutorial on reply but the mobs difficulty shouldn't be crab level easy starting off.

E6qgOoi.png