Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Seperate chat window for boosters

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
In most popular MMO:s, local chat in major cities or player hubs is infested with advertisment for boost selling. In a game like wow, you can expect a boosting advert every 2 seconds 24/7.

To make our local chats, city chats etc better, please, offer a seperate chat option for advertisment of boosts. You can not, and will never be able to stop people from doing it anyways. But, atleast have a seperate chat window where people who care about this stuff. There needs to be serious consecvense to post boosting stuff in the wrong channel, because it severely distrupts player experience in the long run.

Chats could be made like this:

/General (random chat)
/Trade (Buy and sell items)
/Recruit (Recruit people for guild or look for guilds)
/Player Services (boost)

You should be able to edit your chat log and which one of these you want to see.

If you decide to be lazy, and just let people advertice their boosting on any trade channel, this games chat log will look like shit, and it will ruin the experience for everyone.

Ban accounts that advertise that boosting shit in the wrong place or all chats will look like this 24/7 in 1 month:

zf4ouk8f7a751.png?width=695&format=png&auto=webp&s=f9c901d340e6e7dd7375c34d40274ddb9d617b51

VurrxXkf1w-TAocVsTQJRKVoj44ocy4mZ9dyLTvPQgA.png?auto=webp&s=6be48aa76e31944128c8c5a9ed2841fddd0a2bc3

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I don't think Ashes will have nearly the same issue with this as WoW.

Blizzard basically made that game in a way that facilitates this kind of thing, Ashes is literally being designed in a way to make it as hard as possible. One of the key things these people rely on is knowledge of the content - which itself relies on the content not changing.
  • Options
    MaupMaup Member
    edited March 2021
    Good chat moderation is also a good way to fight this, but I doubt this will be as much as an issue in AoC as it is in WoW. Like @Noaani stated.
      Just a HYPED man
      If you have any questions feel free message me
    • Options
      MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
      The thing here is what can you actually boost?

Raids? Can you guarantee that we can get to and from a raid safely? Do you get paid if a large guild comes into the dungeon and wrecks us?

Sieges? No one can guarantee a siege

PvP? What's to boost? Arenas won't be as big of a focus as they are in something like WoW
      ZeFuP1X.png
      If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
    • Options
      VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
      Boosts will not be as prevalent in AoC. They might not exist altogether and there are a couple of reasons for that.

1. There is PvP everywhere so you can’t promise that your boost will be successful because you never know when the squad will roll up and whoop you.
      2. Most items are not soul bound so people might as well just buy them from the marketplace/auction house instead of gambling on a boost in hopes that they get that item.

This is just another way that AoC will be different from WoW. Many people will have to change their perspective and stop thinking in terms of WoW.
    • Options
      Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
      VmanGman wrote: »
      Boosts will not be as prevalent in AoC. They might not exist altogether and there are a couple of reasons for that.

1. There is PvP everywhere so you can’t promise that your boost will be successful because you never know when the squad will roll up and whoop you.
      2. Most items are not soul bound so people might as well just buy them from the marketplace/auction house instead of gambling on a boost in hopes that they get that item.

This is just another way that AoC will be different from WoW. Many people will have to change their perspective and stop thinking in terms of WoW.

Agreed, and 3rd, most players buy boosts in WoW for achievements, in the hopes it will help them get into good groups later on. Achievements in Ashes likely won't be nearly as important for getting into groups so there won't be as much reason to buy boosts.
      volunteer_moderator.gif
    • Options

Agreed, and 3rd, most players buy boosts in WoW for achievements, in the hopes it will help them get into good groups later on. Achievements in Ashes likely won't be nearly as important for getting into groups so there won't be as much reason to buy boosts.

I'd be a fan of the game not having achievements at all, to be honest.

If that isn't a possibility, I'd be a fan of there being no way to share what achievements we have with other players, so that achievements can't be used as a gate. It would be stupid of Steven to not allow combat trackers due to how he thinks they segregate a community, but then build in an achievement system which does exactly this due to people requiring others to have specific achievements in order to be invited along.
    • Options
      The problem with this, is that they probably will not be kind enough to actually post in that chatbox.
      They're gonna spam it no matter what if it does become an issue.
    • Options
      Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
      Noaani wrote: »

If that isn't a possibility, I'd be a fan of there being no way to share what achievements we have with other players, so that achievements can't be used as a gate. It would be stupid of Steven to not allow combat trackers due to how he thinks they segregate a community, but then build in an achievement system which does exactly this due to people requiring others to have specific achievements in order to be invited along.

That only happens in WoW because achievements are the most reliable way of quickly identifying who the good players are. Assessing someone's gear is pointless because of how freely the game gives it out and the cross-server nature of the game means you don't know anyone well enough to judge them by reputation.

In Ashes it will be different. Servers will be closed so player reputation will become more important. On top of this you won't have players able to skip straight to max level or have a ton of alts, making it easier to keep track of the good players.
      volunteer_moderator.gif
    • Options
      WarthWarth Member
      @Wandering Mist @Noaani

So first we don't want DPS Meters for possible discriminatory reasons.
      Now Achievements should be in for the same stupid reason.

What's next? All kinds of ranking system scrapped from the game, maybe also remove levels and gear as both might be used to discriminate players. Last but not least, lets remove the class system as bad classes will inevitably be discriminated against when creating a party. Let's make it like Minecraft, where everybody is just Steven ingame.
    • Options
      MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
      Warth wrote: »
      @Wandering Mist @Noaani

What's next? All kinds of ranking system scrapped from the game, maybe also remove levels and gear as both might be used to discriminate players. Last but not least, lets remove the class system as bad classes will inevitably be discriminated against when creating a party. Let's make it like Minecraft, where everybody is just Steven ingame.

TBF Mist did say that it won't be as big of an issue in AoC b/c of closed servers and the fact that there's no "lobby gaming" like in WoW or FF so player reputation will exist in a way that's impossible on most modern MMOs
      ZeFuP1X.png
      If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
    • Options
      maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
      @Wandering Mist @Noaani

Steven in Minecraft.
      Steven Sharif.
      Coincidence? :#
      I wish I were deep and tragic
    • Options
      I don't think Ashes will have nearly the same issue with this as WoW.

Blizzard basically made that game in a way that facilitates this kind of thing, Ashes is literally being designed in a way to make it as hard as possible. One of the key things these people rely on is knowledge of the content - which itself relies on the content not changing.

Im sad to tell you that there will be people being able to do every single piece of contect without trying. You need to understand that if there is demand, there will be a supply. If people feel content is hard, if that content gives good rewards, there will be boosters if there are buyers. Always.
    • Options

No squad can beat a 20 man booster team. A 20 man booster team will beat a 40-60 man above avarage group.

I've seen 5 people beat 40 man groups in other MMO:s
    • Options
      VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
      Marzzo wrote: »

No squad can beat a 20 man booster team. A 20 man booster team will beat a 40-60 man above avarage group.

I've seen 5 people beat 40 man groups in other MMO:s

Sounds like you just have to too much knowledge and brainpower and no matter what anyone will say you will stick to your guns.

You talk as if you’ve seen the way things will play out in AoC or as if no “booster team” has EVER lost a battle.

Have a good one guy. I’m talking to a brick wall.
    • Options
      edited March 2021

That only happens in WoW because achievements are the most reliable way of quickly identifying who the good players are. Assessing someone's gear is pointless because of how freely the game gives it out and the cross-server nature of the game means you don't know anyone well enough to judge them by reputation.

In Ashes it will be different. Servers will be closed so player reputation will become more important. On top of this you won't have players able to skip straight to max level or have a ton of alts, making it easier to keep track of the good players.

But that same argument works (and was made) for combat trackers as well - they were only used as a means of segregating the game there because of the exact same reasons.

With cross server grouping and without reputation mattering, both achievements and combat trackers could be used to segregate players. With no cross server grouping and having reputation matter, neither will be used to segregate players.

Based on that, you can't say no to one of these (and citing segregation as the reason) while saying yes to the other without being hypocritical.
    • Options

I'm just all about consistency.

If one feature is taken out because it may segregate the playerbase, then it makes no sense to leave other things in that will also segregate the playerbase.

Or, alternatively, Intrepid could make a game where players don't want to segregate each other, which means all of these things can be in without any concern.
    • Options
      WarthWarth Member

I'm just all about consistency.

If one feature is taken out because it may segregate the playerbase, then it makes no sense to leave other things in that will also segregate the playerbase.

Or, alternatively, Intrepid could make a game where players don't want to segregate each other, which means all of these things can be in without any concern.

there will always be segregation. In every mmo.
      It comes down to one simple fact. People have less time to enjoy gaming than they'd like to have. Watching others waste that precious time is not going to sit well with anybody.

In my decades of playing MMOs, I haven't found a single person that enjoys being stuck in a dungeon for 1.5 hours instead of 25minutes because somebody is unprepared, incapable of doing it or downright useless.
      The only way to create a game like you suggested would be to remove all hardships from the game.

I'm also all about consistency. Which is why i think that the removal of DPS meters will have exactly 0 impact on the toxicity within the game. Toxic people will be toxic either way. Useless chumps won't be invited to groups or rapidly kicked either way.

Which is perfectly fine with me. If someone doesn't want you in their group for being incapable, then either look for a group that wants you or improve, simple as that.
    • Options
      there will always be segregation. In every mmo.
      I totally agree.

This is why I personally don't believe that any useful feature or tool taken out of the game to prevent this is done so in good faith. Further, when there are other things that are specificlly left in the game that also add to segregation, yet the argument for leaving out that useful tool stands firm at being due to segregation, it further reinforces my opinion that the argument against that useful tool was not made in good faith.

Basically, the reason given, it would seem, is a lie.

If Steven had have come out and said that he won't allow combat trackers in the game because he had a bad experience with them personally, I'd respect that more than saying he doesn't want them because it segregates the community, while keeping in other things that segregate the community.

Honestly, that desync there is a massive red flag for me.
    • Options
      I think that people will always find ways to boost and promote boosting in games.
      Since Warcraft was taken as an example back at the original Classic Warcraft Boosting in ZG and Mara where not a thing. Especially boosting people inside a raid as ZG. People were boosting in Strat Living Side(Hobbs videos). As people learn more of the game they will always find ways to promote boosting.
    • Options
      edited March 2021
      This happend in all MMOs F2p and P2P but F2p is cheaper.
      if you have a boost chat - no spammer use them because in local chatts in beginner villages they spamm there trash in every channel- so they can reach all of the playerbase. why sould they use a channel where most of the audience allready have a booster and don't probalbly don't wanna change? so they use all channels they can enter by low bar challenges.

if you playerbase have to block every spammer it looks strange for a beginner and some of them probably jump off.

some games tried to use a llevel requirement to post in global chatt like Blade and Soul - so all spammers use bots to level there spammchar. At the end of this you see a line of bots in the beginning town and they took away all questmoobs and prevented them from doing their quest.what helpes boosters even more and they know they loose this chaar/account in 1-2 days spamming.

Some games use somthing like mouthpiece or somthing fammiliar. But than you can buy it cheap in a ingame cash shop

if you use profanity filter they probably use variations of there website name like (boost.net -> b.o.o.s.t .net).
      but if you then expand your profanity filter by this variations it goes for some days/weeks and at some point it make no sense because noone understand the real name anymore and maybe it end.

why they don't have a forum post and it didn't break the immersion and chat conversation by sweeping away a question or answer.

And why use a boost for your chaar, if you didn't like to play the game till you hit max level? if you wanna use a boost for a twink - (what I can understand in some games because of too mutch grind or quests are boring) than a ingame mechanic that boost all your chaars by an exp buff or so when one of them hit max lvl or a simple " buy a max lvl acc." from ingame shop that have only max lvl and nothing else. So you don't have to level all your twinks if you don't like it and at least your game gains money and not some goldsellers.

and what about EULA if a 3rd one boost your chaar/acc?