Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thread: Landscape/scenery/environment ideas from the community.

Hi! First and foremost i'd like to explain why i'm making this thread; I'd like to have a thread where the community shares their ideas for the design of environments and landscapes.

My main intention with this is that the designers of the game could go to this thread and possibly pluck something out for inspiration! By no means do i want to pressure them into putting things into the game. If they see this thread, it'd be cool if someone came with an idea and a designer thought: Hey! That could fit in with X biome or area!

My other reason for making this thread is that i personally love brainstorming and imagining sceneries and landscapes for games and am extremely curious what people can come up with that i cant myself!

Hope to see some of your ideas in here :^)

--

Comments

• Options
    JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
    edited March 2021
    A little list of my own:

1. Floating islands with waterfalls.

3. Lava river(s) around the volcano with naturally created bridges to cross them.

3. Yggdrasil (World tree) massive tree visible from many places in the world, perhaps with an elven civilization at the base.

4. Swampy area with low hanging mist.

5. Mushrooms! Very big ones, smaller glowing ones in caves and ones on the side of cliffs you could perhaps stand on.

6. Remains (Bones) of extremely massive creatures, left for us to fantasize about what it could be.

7. A gigantic sword stuck in the ground, used to be the weapon of some giant creature.

Tried posting images but couldn't figure out how lmao

Sorry if some of these seem dumb or obvious, i just like imagining stuff.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2021
    Great topic. I hope we get good organized answers that will be easy for Devs to read.

NATURAL:

Deserts: no plants, sand dunes, rocks cracks that lead to underground caves unrelated with Underrealm

Forests: european, north american trees. Scary at nights that will make you feel like wolves werewolves are about to start howling. Thick with roots that form hills and downhills, blocking passage and msking it tough to climb back up to a level field.

Glaciers: Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne, Game of Thrones. Frozen silence and calm waves hitting lonely ice islands. But there is somethong there.... 3 horn blasts...

Valleys: green valleys with rivers flowing, holy valleys with golden rays and yellow mountains.

Jungles: machete swings.

Lava/flames: doesnt have to be a volcano. Just let it keep burning.

Mountains: tall mountains with snow. Ever seen "The Man who would be King" (Sean Connery, Michael Caine)?
    Have you played Sekiro?
    Need to spend time to get up there and let us fight whatever can be found on the plateus or caves.

Dark Mountains: pitch black, castle at the top, peaks that rise like fingers of doom and cracks that await to swallow you whole.
    Let us fight the evil minions of whoever has make their seat at the end of the road, and then take em down.

CONSTRUCTIONS: (we return to a lost world, so there must be evidence of past glories. Dark Souls 3 did a good job at this).

Castles: prestigious castles with wide walls to walk on, multi leveled with plenty keeps to explore. All desolated. Undead plz (High Wall of Lothric/Lothric Castle)

Towers: my fav tower of all time is the massive Tower of Insolence in L2. 14 floors of increased difficulty for 8man groups with Raid Bosses on many of them. At the very top one of the most important world bosses I have even seen. Just give us a tall tower with massive floors. The rest dont matter.

Bridges: high up in the sky, over a water mass, over a cannion. Let it be guarded by the most aggressive dangers of verra and let it lead to a great location

Ruins: over the ground and under the ground. Ruins of a temple, school, prison it doesnt matter. In any game when you are heading for the Ruins of (...) you know that you will find many challenging rooms with good rewards.

Ancient Battlefields: corpses, pikes, fallen arms and torn banners. Barricades, trenches you name it. History was forged here.

Holy city: can it be beautiful and populated by the most righteous angels that smite any intruder? I want players to hate those things but love the environment art.

Catacombs:

Arcane locations: librariers or observatories. As long as there are magic auras and floating stuffs it's cool. Light/bright colours help as well.

Mines: the Mines of Moria

I have played many games but I feel like Dark Souls 3 has the best build world. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE DARK SETTING, it's about hitting the nail on the head when they said "aigh let's make a castle, let's make a forest, let's make a catacomb, let's make a prison, let's make a spooky city".
    Hope the devs get some inspiration from there.

I will post more when I remember more cool places I have ventured in.

*The reason I hate games like eso and ffxiv is that either when I am out in the open world, 1 shooting mobs, or when I speed through trash waves at a dungeon, going to the boss, is that the environment bores me....
    I just run from point A to B, I don't stay over, I dont spend hours on ONE spot and days on ONE map zone. I dont say "this place is nice". I dont look around. I am GONE in a flash.
    Dungeons are all done in 20-40 minutes over and over and over again, overland is so ez I just avoid it. I just stay in a city, using dungeon finder/battleground matching.

I am much happier spending days in the same zone and not go back for months once I outlevel it. And then one day some quest will send me back to that beautiful place, or some material that I need to find for a craft will take me there. That's an mmorpg.
  • Options
    JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
    edited March 2021
    @George Black I love this! You went into detail so much haha. Personally i'd love to see the 'battle scarred' plains and battlefields, with lost weapons and pikes etc as you mentioned!

A tower that you can climb with increasing difficulty is an amazing idea, i love those.

Awesome ideas, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    hARdwinhARdwin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Jxshuwu wrote: »
    Maybe like a World Turtle realm.

e0da65693f2bedaa1dd860a5f9d96d05.jpg
    2. Lava river(s) around the volcano with naturally created bridges to cross them.
    Muspelheim
    4. Yggdrasil (World tree) massive tree visible from many places in the world, perhaps with an elven civilization at the base.
    Yes

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just give me realistic weather and clouds.

Volumetric clouds that create correct shadows on the ground, and sun shafts.
    Sky changing color correctly based on time of day and position of sun.
    Rain clouds that are dynamic enough for it to rain in my front lawn and not my back yard if the clouds are positioned correctly.

This type of stuff really takes games to the next level. That new MS flight simulator really opened my eyes to this stuff.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited March 2021

Get the image's URL and put it in square bracket IMG tags.

For example, imagine that these curly brackets are square brackets: (img)https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/scale_small/11/114183/6567739-danger_mouse_2015.png&f=1&nofb=1 (/img)

If you're still struggling, click Quote on someone else's post who has an image, and have a look at how they've done it.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if these sound dumb but

Environment:
    1. caves with big crystals inside

2. ruins area with statues that are old and chipped and have plants growing out of them

3. old buildings that are overgrown

4. A mystical forest with bright blue firefly-like things floating around and all kinds of creatures throughout it (example: squirrels, deer/elk, butterflies, etc.)

Creatures:
    1. Wolves

2. Koi fish

3. Squirrels that are white with blue swirls throughout their fur (hope that makes sense)

4. Deer/elk with crystals growing out of their antlers

Mounts:
    1. A mammoth
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So Artbreeder is AMAZING for generating concept art. Here's a few I just whipped up:

Broken-Slab.png
    Crystal-Hill.png
    Emerald-Stream.png
    Fairy-Woods.png
    Falls-Edge.png
    Green-Plain.png
    Red-Desert.png
    Stone-Temple.png
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    So Artbreeder is AMAZING for generating concept art. Here's a few I just whipped up:

Oh wow that site is awesome! Thanks for letting us know about it! :)

• Options
    JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
    edited March 2021
    @maouw That's awesome! Thank you man.
  • Options
    hARdwin wrote: »
    Maybe like a World Turtle realm.

e0da65693f2bedaa1dd860a5f9d96d05.jpg
    2. Lava river(s) around the volcano with naturally created bridges to cross them.
    Muspelheim
    4. Yggdrasil (World tree) massive tree visible from many places in the world, perhaps with an elven civilization at the base.
    Yes

I was also imagining a terraformed turtle! But, i thought it might've been a little too ambitious.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Just give me realistic weather and clouds.

Volumetric clouds that create correct shadows on the ground, and sun shafts.
    Sky changing color correctly based on time of day and position of sun.
    Rain clouds that are dynamic enough for it to rain in my front lawn and not my back yard if the clouds are positioned correctly.

This type of stuff really takes games to the next level. That new MS flight simulator really opened my eyes to this stuff.

Yes! I love awesome lighting in games, makes everything much better. Destiny 2 (Barely played it, dont enjoy it alot) has this part in the tutorial where you walk in like a massive ventilation system and the lighting comes through so nicely, i loved it.
  • Options
    JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
    edited March 2021
    daveywavey wrote: »

For example, imagine that these curly brackets are square brackets: (img)https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/scale_small/11/114183/6567739-danger_mouse_2015.png&f=1&nofb=1 (/img)

If you're still struggling, click Quote on someone else's post who has an image, and have a look at how they've done it.

Err lemme try it here real quick;

9dcac918e1b82c6983b0cbbccb6f16e6

EDIT: Don't think it worked lmao, it just comes up with a few numbers and an error image. I tried a google one and it did the same D:
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

EDIT: Don't think it worked lmao, it just comes up with a few numbers and an error image. I tried a google one and it did the same D:

Yeah this happens if the image url doesn't end with a recognized format (.jpeg/.png/.gif etc)
    Sometimes the website hosting the image has a "share to email"/"thumbnail" option which usually offer a more forum friendly url to work with.

(Alternatively, you can browse through the website's html looking for the image source)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
    edited March 2021
    maouw wrote: »

Yeah this happens if the image url doesn't end with a recognized format (.jpeg/.png/.gif etc)
    Sometimes the website hosting the image has a "share to email"/"thumbnail" option which usually offer a more forum friendly url to work with.

(Alternatively, you can browse through the website's html looking for the image source)

Oh jeez alright haha, ill try it out.

niyas-ck-hiking-02.jpg?1440704253

oh hey, it worked, thanks.
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited March 2021
    i know isn´t common in fantasy mmorpg but would like to see Dark Biomes with alot of dead and scary creatures, and tense music where i can get an hearth attack with an surprise ganker

d8e421c72d6010951e1179e21c7399c0.jpg

yuri-hill-mars95-2s.jpg?1555432859

• Options
    @Ramirez I love the way that dark village looks, that's dope.
  • Options
    Instead of just shops, i'd love to see market stalls (depending which node path the node followed i suppose)