Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Different armor type skins

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Steven said you can apply different type of armor skins? I mean, for example you can use heavy armor skin on robe armor? And then only indication to know what type of armor player is wearing, will be some icon/buff?

If thats true, I think its kind of lame and it breaks immersion too. I think there should be some limitations on skins to keep game's immersion and logic in it.

What other people think about it?

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2021
    You are correct. I did look for the quote, I remember hearing it, but could not find it.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Costumes

Never seen thing specify armor types for cosmetic costumes.

Fun fact. Immersion is an after thought in MMORPGs.
    The genre is not even known for good immersion.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Fun fact. Immersion is an after thought in MMORPGs.
    The genre is not even known for good immersion.

Curious thought.
    It's true that First-Person games win "immersion" and barely any MMORPGs go in that direction.

Isn't the idea of Building an entire virtual world in pursuit of immersion?
    Isn't the RP part of MMORPG all about immersion?

I'm not convinced.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    maouw wrote: »
    Curious thought.
    It's true that First-Person games win "immersion" and barely any MMORPGs go in that direction.

Isn't the idea of Building an entire virtual world in pursuit of immersion?
    Isn't the RP part of MMORPG all about immersion?

I'm not convinced.

Personal opinion.

To me personally.

Immersion is something like Skyrim. I would not even call my favorite elder scrolls games very immersive(Daggerfall, Morrowind). Skyrim is far more about trying to make you fit in a story and feel like a part of the world than it is about having good or interesting game play. Everything about Skyrim other than it's character interactions and setting is lack luster. The combat, crafting, character advancement, is all clearly not the focus of the game. Just some extra crap they tack put in because it is expected to be in a elder scrolls game. I have no doubt they would have skipped every thing, but the story and world exploration if they could get away with it. The focus is clearly immersion.

There is a spectrum for immersion. Right now the far end of the immersion spectrum has not even been reached. I expect that with the way the competition around VR is now. We will see a game in the next few years that really pushes the Immersion end of the spectrum as far as it can go. Half-life: alyx is a taste of where immersion is going. I think we see some high budget deep immersion VR games that are so good it could creates other problems in our life times.

The other end of the spectrum is the floor. Pong, Multi User Dungeons(MUD). Just the old time limitations of what computers could do. MMORPGs land somewhere on the spectrum between Pong and Alyx. Obviously there needs to be some level of immersion for any game to compete in 2020 (even dwarf fortress). I would never call sonic the hedgehog a very immersive game, but you are always able to suspend disbelief enough for the world to make sense within its own context. If something was out of place in sonic you would want a reason, or feel like something was wrong. Why is Mario just as fast as sonic normally when they are in the same game? (Mario and sonic at the Olympics). You could call that a lack of immersion, but the reality is that immersion is suspended when it gets in the way of gameplay for games that don't focus on immersion.

This is true with MMORPGs. In this specific case we are talking about someone potentially wearing cloth, but looking like they are wearing plate. It suspending some realism and immersion to accommodate better game play.

Outside of like Mortal Online I can't really think of a MMO that has gone out of its way to keep immersion important. We might get a VR MMORPG in the future that is along those lines, but right now VR in just a growing niche. Just like a focus on immersion in general is kind of niche.

Again this is just how I feel about immersion in games.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    GboltGbolt Member
    Well immersion is one thing, but what I''m worried more is PvP.
    Imagine castle siege and hundreds of players fighting.
    Now everyone puts on their robe skin..

It would be pretty clunky to quickly notice who is who without any visual que (would need to see some buff/armor type icon on target or something I guess). That would be pretty cheesy way to mask yourself by applying skin. And if it would be effective, everyone would start doing it, which would make awful PvP experience.
  • Options
    This is probably one of the things I’m least excited for with this game. Not having an easy way to recognize a certain play-style really effects pvp. And additionally, as a player who really loves immersing themselves in a world, I wouldn’t enjoy just seeing these transmoggers out in the open world.

In games like wow, you have certain classes that have to wear certain types of gear, which makes it easy just from a glance to know how you should react to someone on the battlefield, even if they have transmog. It really feels like if they go along with both multi-gear types and transmog, they’ll have to just make gear type irrelevant.
  • Options
    GboltGbolt Member
    Urgrosh wrote: »
    This is probably one of the things I’m least excited for with this game. Not having an easy way to recognize a certain play-style really effects pvp. And additionally, as a player who really loves immersing themselves in a world, I wouldn’t enjoy just seeing these transmoggers out in the open world.

In games like wow, you have certain classes that have to wear certain types of gear, which makes it easy just from a glance to know how you should react to someone on the battlefield, even if they have transmog. It really feels like if they go along with both multi-gear types and transmog, they’ll have to just make gear type irrelevant.

And thing is I dont ever saw anyone asking for such thing. Who would benefit from that? I doubt people would buy more transmogs because of such feature.
  • Options
    I also believe that everyone can wear anything is a tad unrealistic but I think we’ll just have to train our eyes to see the abilities being used and not the equipment being worn in larger PvP battles. I’m imagining it to be relatively obvious which initial archetype a player has picked based on their ability usage

They’ll also still have their class visible to you
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Gear will be agnostic anyone can wear anything and use any weapon.
    There is supposed to be a buff when you select a player to see what class they are and an idea of level plus armor type. Heavy ,medium....
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    GboltGbolt Member
    Gear will be agnostic anyone can wear anything and use any weapon.
    There is supposed to be a buff when you select a player to see what class they are and an idea of level plus armor type. Heavy ,medium....

Its big difference where anyone can wear anything and having penalties when wearing inappropriate armor type.
    As I remember correctly Steven mentioned somewhat similar system as it was in Lineage 2, where you can wear all armors, but for example ranger would be more proficient wearing light armor instead of heavy (getting evasion bonus for example) and casters would have their casting speed gimped if they would use heavy armor instead of robe.

So its actually different thing than allowing any transmogs/skins to be used for any armor type.

And that buff to know player's armor type, is kind of bandage fix for artificially created problem no one asked:)
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Considering that certain building cosmetics can only be applied to certain buildings (cant apply a forge skin to a stable) then I assume they will make it so that a robe skin/helmet skin/sword skin will require you to have the appropriate gear.
  • Options
    RiesseneRiessene Member
    edited March 2021
    What's the point of locking skins for gear to cloth/leather/metal if there are dresses and armor cosmetic skins? I don't think they would lock the 100$ package deal to be used only on some gear.
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Immersion is in the eye of the beholder. What bothers you does not bother me and vice versa.

If you took on a stranger on the street you don't know much about them and their skills; the same could be said for those who show a cosmetic, you take your chances.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    FaraamFaraam Member
    Skins are cool, I love to have them.
  • Options
    MerekMerek Member
    Gbolt wrote: »
    Well immersion is one thing, but what I''m worried more is PvP.
    Imagine castle siege and hundreds of players fighting.
    Now everyone puts on their robe skin..

It would be pretty clunky to quickly notice who is who without any visual que (would need to see some buff/armor type icon on target or something I guess). That would be pretty cheesy way to mask yourself by applying skin. And if it would be effective, everyone would start doing it, which would make awful PvP experience.

It's what people did in ArcheAge, walk around in underwear while secretly wearing the highest graded gear available. I like cosmetics, especially those I can customize further, but they can cause issues such as the ones listed here. (Plus I'm pro-immersion, less clowns in wedding dresses running around the better.)