Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

MMO RPGs Combat styles

Hey all,

As we are watching the combat style is progressing in AoC, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what do you think of it so far?

IMO, the combat still needs more life into it. I usually get bored with a game if the combat is mostly repetitive and deals slow animation strikes.

I personally love blade and soul type of combat. What's your favorite type of combat?

Thank you all,

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    I think the animations for Ashes are a bit too fast.
    KOA:Reckoning and Valheim are the speeds I prefer.
    (I liked NWO speed, too)
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited May 2021
    I have a radical view.
    Combat is not going to be as great as it could be unless they add bonus damage from the back for all classes.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Tacualeon wrote: »
    I have a radical view.
    Combat is not going to be as great as it could be unles they add bonus damage from the back for all classes.

@xManager I like what I am seeing so far. Doesn't seem to slow or too fast imo. What I am really hoping for is a smooth feel to the combat. I personally enjoyed the auto attack with abilities spun in on click that wow had. What we are seeing right now seems decent and will be tuned up as development goes on.

@Tacualeon I understand your viewpoint but think the opposite. Why even add back damage increases? If they add it for casters....now you're telling me I take additional damage because a fireball hit my back? That's silly.

Why do I need to take additional damage because a rogue is hitting me from behind? Because their skill in killing allows them to hit my weak points? Do I not have weak points in front? On the sides? come on.

No damage boosts for positioning would be ideal and easier to maintain for balancing purposes. This in turn let's the development team focusing heavily on better skills (which can then add bonus damage for positioning and also give this type of bonus to any class/skill).
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Tera Online 2011-2013
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Khronus wrote: »
    @Tacualeon I understand your viewpoint but think the opposite. Why even add back damage increases? If they add it for casters....now you're telling me I take additional damage because a fireball hit my back? That's silly.

Tactical combat, positioning and combat flow.
    That's silly.
    Just for the unaware.
    Armor is thicker in the front. You can't see or get mentally prepared for taking an impacts from the back.
  • Options
    The animations sometimes seem too exaggerated and over the top. Otherwise, hard to say without trying it first hand.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I miss age of reckonings combat
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    neuroguy wrote: »
    The animations sometimes seem too exaggerated and over the top. Otherwise, hard to say without trying it first hand.

I don't mind it I just want to know why these magically ignorant grown adults are all of a sudden twirling around defying gravity to cast basic spells like "firebolt". Gif meh loar.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Sathrago wrote: »

I don't mind it I just want to know why these magically ignorant grown adults are all of a sudden twirling around defying gravity to cast basic spells like "firebolt". Gif meh loar.

Look at it like this...

This is a lv10, non-secondary flavoured attack. And the character goes into extreme effort to throw a weak fireball.

It's like watching somebody making it a big deal to lift a screw-driver. What would they do if they were asked to lift a toolbox?

A simple fireball should have a simple hand motion. A comet call should have a more extreme animation.

I am very curious to see what they will do with sword swings on warriors.
    I hope they dont fill every skill with particle effects and colours, smashed grounds and sonic waves.
  • Options

Look at it like this...

This is a lv10, non-secondary flavoured attack. And the character goes into extreme effort to throw a weak fireball.

It's like watching somebody making it a big deal to lift a screw-driver. What would they do if they were asked to lift a toolbox?

A simple fireball should have a simple hand motion. A comet call should have a more extreme animation.

I hope they dont fill every skill with particle effects and colours, smashed grounds and sonic waves.

Oh no I understand why it feels weird for people, I would just personally like to see a reason for this flamboyancy if its going to be how they do their magic on release.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    ZeshioZeshio Member

Look at it like this...

I haven't played but I know they acknowledged the combat actions were a bit over the top and they were working on simplifying them. Hopefully once they have a more varied set of skills they can balance each based on how powerful they should be in game

• Options
    @Tacualeon This honestly sounds terrible from my perspective as a tank. I don't want to be spinning around in circles just to prevent bonus damage in PvP. PVE, I totally agree. Give bonus damage for players who are smart enough to position properly.

Tactical combat? Avoid AOE, prepare for stealth rogues, kite melee, focus-fire healers, protect your own healers, and don't focus tanks. The combat is going to be as tactical as it has always been and players will still FAIL at these basic steps even thought they have played games for 20+ years. Terrible excuse I know....but accurate AF.

Armor is thicker in the front? Are we playing escape from tarkov now? It has to be realistic in Ashes of creation? Dudes over here shooting a fireball and other dude is summoning a water elemental while fighting a flaming dragon that creates illusions of itself but my armor has to be THIN in the back? Come on.

combat flow? With your idea, combat will flow worse. I will have all ranged characters stand further back than the healers and just focus-fire each enemy since their backs will HAVE to be turned. This would not be fun fighting in lines.

It just doesn't need to be in the game at all.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I know it’s early, I know what I’m going to say will ruffle features. It looks boring. I’ve watched every piece of media Intrepid has released. Lock target, press hotkey. Or more realistically: lock target, spam every key on the number row that’s not on cooldown. There’s needs to be more. There must be combos, strings, etc. Leave the hotbar for super powerful skills with long cooldowns. I don’t know anyone, besides those who reside on this forum, who disagree with what I’ve said.
  • Options
    This is a lv10, non-secondary flavoured attack. And the character goes into extreme effort to throw a weak
    It's not extreme effort. It's just what EQNext called heroic movement. The animation is exaggerated to emphasize the heroism.
  • Options
    Flying away aint heroic that's for sure
  • Options
    This conversation reminds me of a certain anime scene. The non-MC characters here.

https://youtu.be/kX7gFSqDySc
  • Options
    This conversation reminds me of a certain anime scene. The non-MC characters here.

https://youtu.be/kX7gFSqDySc

@LieutenantToast some feedback here for future purposes...
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Flying away aint heroic that's for sure

What if you do it into the sunset?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @Tacualeon This honestly sounds terrible from my perspective as a tank. I don't want to be spinning around in circles just to prevent bonus damage
    What you call spinning around, others call it outmanouvering.
    You sound like the guy who calls contesting objetives, griefing.
    Tactical combat? Avoid AOE, prepare for stealth rogues, kite melee, focus-fire healers, protect your own healers, and don't focus tanks. The combat is going to be as tactical as it has always been
    If I wanted a combat this basic I would play something aimed toward childs.
    2 decisions at the time to handle.
    Niche decision vs aoe
    Niche decision vs melee.
    Even more niche decision vs rogue.
    Armor is thicker in the front? Are we playing escape from tarkov now? It has to be realistic in Ashes of creation?
    Armor is thicker in the front.
    Being at your enemy 6s is the strongest tactical position.
    l1.png
    I have opinions and fundaments. Your only opinion is saying my opinion is silly or too realistic.
    Your only fundaments is your perspective and that you don't what to think much about your surroundings.

I played chess much before I played Wow. Rogue was the class I picked first because I like tactic and strategy.
    Some years later. I dueled another rogue outside of Black Temple. I remember his name because it was funny, his name was Conejito(Bunny), he was an undead rogue with both Illidan swords.
    We dueled three times, and I won all three.
    He then demanded to stand in front of each other and press all buttons until one of us died.
    EiQAvHwWAAAxFeP.jpg

That moment made me think quite a lot. Conejito had a perspective.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really liked Wildstars combat system. The aesthetics of that game was not for me, but the combat system was a joy.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    I'm fine with a slightly slower pace of combat as long as there is choice and decisions for the player to make, which right now there isn't. Looking at the Cleric as an example, one of my main criticisms of the Cleric skills is that they do too much in a single button press. If you can heal and dps at the same time with a single button press, you remove any choice from the player. You don't even need to think about the healing because the game does it all for you.

There's this weird mindset a lot of players have that combat in a game isn't interesting unless it's big, flashy and really fast paced. Now, if that were true, why are the Dark Souls games so popular? That are definitely NOT fast-paced. In fact, the combat animations are relatively slow and there's a decent amount of animation locking involved. Once you press the attack button your character is going to do that attack and there is nothing you can do to change it.

It works though because this slower pace and animation locking means the player's choices are more meaningful. If you make the wrong decision in a Dark Souls game, you'll probably lose half your health in a single attack.

Now I don't expect Ashes to go to such an extreme, but the point still stands. To make a combat system interesting you need to give the players choices and there needs to be consequences for poor decision-making.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    A key aspect of RPG combat is synergizing your own abilities with the abilities your teammates are using. EQ2 used Heroic Opportunities as a mechanic to facilitate that: If the Priest uses an ability that starts a combat chain, the other members of the group have time to also trigger abilities associated with that chain, thereby resulting in extra damage.
    I don't know that EQ2 had the best presentation of the concept, but we should have the time to notice that the Priest has used Divine Censure on a target and decide to focus on attacking that target so we can gain some Health from our attacks. If the Shadow Disciple has a Shadow augment on their Damnation, the Shadowblade should have time to notice Damnation has been cast and also attack that target with a Shadow augment, thereby stacking Shadow damage.
    The Mage's Fireball casting animation doesn't particularly show extra effort, but it is exaggerated enough and should be slow enough that if I notice the Acolyte has triggered that animation for a Fireball with a Holy augment on it, I can choose to have my Soulbow follow up with a Holy-augmented Snare that adds Holy damage in addition to the Bleed.

I don't agree that the Cleric having healing and dps removes choice from the player. Rather, it accomplishes the dev's goal of bring the Cleric closer to what the class is in D&D and Pathfinder, where Clerics provide dps as well as healing, rather than ending up only focused on healing...which is what MMORPG groups typically demand in a manner that is different from other RPG groups.
    It helps the Cleric feel like a classic RPG Cleric.

Big, Flashy and fast-paced is not weird, it's just a playstyle. It's a playstyle that comes from playing other video games, like first-person shooters and fighters. Gamers ramp up their twitch skills and then hit MMORPGs, like EQ and Pantheon, where there are several seconds of delay between hit. By comparison that feels like watching paint dry.
    For me, NWO got the pace about right. Active enough to feel lively and slow enough to make some combat choices based on what I see others in my group are doing.
    When I watch Pantheon combat, I'm always immediately turned-off by the combat because it feels sooooo suullllooooowwwww.
    Dark Souls is popular because there are RPG players who like "slower" paced combat.
    MMORPGs attract wide range of playstyles.

Animation-locking should not be what makes a character's combat choice meaningful. In an RPG, especially a multiplayer RPG, what should make a character's combat choice more meaningful is being able to adjust their ability choices to take best advantage of the other abilities that are in play on the battlefield.
    The best speed is going to be subjective across thousands of players.
    At the end of the day, it's mostly going to come down to what feels best according to the lead designer's philosophy/playstyle. Which is why Pantheon's combat speed is significantly slower than Ashes combat speed and WoW's combat speed is somewhere in the middle. There's nothing weird about any of those choices, it's just a matter of preference. Although, I personally believe that FPS speed is too fast for what an (group) RPG is supposed to be.

I think Steven's concepts of consequences for poor decision-making are focused on other areas of risk v reward than combat speed and animation-locking.
  • Options
    rayleghraylegh Member
    For me the best combat systems are from Archeage, Blade&Soul and Black Desert. Anything other than taking these as an example, could be a mistake.

But I have to admit that responsiveness that wow had, felt good. Anyway I don't want to play a "wow like" combat in AoC. I think people want something more dynamic. We are in 2021 not 2003, it can't be that hard to get something according to our time.
  • Options
    I haven't actually played Blade & Soul or BDO, but the videos I just watched makes the combat seem more like single-player combat. I'm seeing one player mow down a group of opponents in 15 seconds, where, really it should at best, take a group of players that long. But, maybe, those vids are of a high level, mowing down low level mobs.
  • Options
    MerekMerek Member
    xManager wrote: »
    IMO, the combat still needs more life into it. I usually get bored with a game if the combat is mostly repetitive and deals slow animation strikes.

Well, prepare to be bored, the game is tab-target, one of if not the most mundane forms of combat to have in a game.
  • Options
    GubiakGubiak Member
    Terra was close to entirely revolutionizing combat in mmo's and I was a big fan. Blade and Soul combat was fast and satisfying. Allowing for flashy moves in PvE and forcing players to get in the headspace of their opponents to pull off proper combos with no interruptions. C9 pvp Was fast, satisfying and meaty. You felt every hit from hitstuns and juggles while allowing for mindgames around recovery. I don't expect AoC to be mindblowing. I want it to be good and satisfying (I might be asking for a lot but I am expecting to spend a long time in this game :p).
  • Options
    @Tacualeon I'll attempt to respond to your rambling. I'm happy that you understand the tactical aspect of pvp. you sound like a formidable opponent on the battlefield (albeit I'm not sure I would have much of an issue beating you :) ).

Spinning in circles is outmaneuvering to you? I honestly don't see how this will add to the games fun. moving your character around is a thing regardless of bonus damage from behind. I don't want to get hit period so there will be times where I will get behind you or kite you only to charge back at you or harpoon you to where I want you.

You still haven't said anything about back damage being increased for casters. Do they just get excluded from this damage increase or do you really think my "thin" back armor (hahahahaha) is going to increase the amount of magical damage I take?

Basic combat mechanics like avoiding standing in fire, focus firing proper targets, identifying stealth players, and protecting healers is a niche decision to be made? I feel like your ENTIRE arguments revolves around 1v1ing a bunny (with two Illidan WAR GLAIVES.....not swords) and not team play.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited May 2021
    @Tacualeon I'll attempt to respond to your rambling. I'm happy that you understand the tactical aspect of pvp. you sound like a formidable opponent on the battlefield (albeit I'm not sure I would have much of an issue beating you :) ).

Spinning in circles is outmaneuvering to you? I honestly don't see how this will add to the games fun. moving your character around is a thing regardless of bonus damage from behind. I don't want to get hit period so there will be times where I will get behind you or kite you only to charge back at you or harpoon you to where I want you.

You still haven't said anything about back damage being increased for casters. Do they just get excluded from this damage increase or do you really think my "thin" back armor (hahahahaha) is going to increase the amount of magical damage I take?

Basic combat mechanics like avoiding standing in fire, focus firing proper targets, identifying stealth players, and protecting healers is a niche decision to be made? I feel like your ENTIRE arguments revolves around 1v1ing a bunny (with two Illidan WAR GLAIVES.....not swords) and not team play.

I agree that it's silly for magic damage to suddenly deal more damage with back attacks, but I disagree that it's a bad idea.

What I propose is that your hit chance and crit chance gain a bonus if you hit the target from behind with any attack since they literally cant see it coming.

If they were to make it a flat 25% bonus to hit chance, and anything that spills over 100% hit chance gets converted into crit chance, I feel that would make it viable to build "chaser" characters which could add another unique element to the battlefield.

There is a psuedo damage increase from this but not a flat damage bonus. It provides the tactical positioning that @Tacualeon wants to see and adds a special new element to combat. Running away from someone becomes a real risk you have to weigh.
  • Options
    I saw a video of elyons closed beta review and Im expecting ashes to have similarities. They have actiontab combat and skills on hotbar.

I feel like Dygz is right on the supposition that once u get used to fast combat its hard go back to something slower.
    Even on occassion when theres nothing wrong with the slower pace from tactical pov.
    That is why I would personally want to see BDO paced combat. I think theres a lot of wrong in bdos strategic play of rotating iframes, superarmor, frontal guard till one makes mistake and gets oneshot.
    I would prefer tactical side to be somewhat similar to WoW WotLK era. Cds for ccs and protections.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Options
    I dunno... I have strong suspicion that the devs are not going to go with making tab-target abilities significantly less powerful than action abilities, in general. There should be a tab-target ability that does similar damage for those players who prefer tab-target combat over action combat, so...
    I expect the Mage primary archetype will not have an ability that does crit damage if hit from behind, but...

We shall see.