Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What happens if Bards have advantage over Fighters in 1v1?

SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Based on something I saw from a Minstrel thread a bit back, the question came up: Who naturally wins in 1v1, in a game where 1v1 isn't automatically balanced? Bards or Fighters?

Fighters specialize in movement and gap closing, but unlike Mages or Rangers, Bards don't need distance to be effective, and in fact, might be better at close range. So does this mean that a Bard, assuming they can, for example, put the Fighter to sleep or something, long enough to get buffs up, has advantage in this 1v1?

Moreso, I'm asking: Would this theoretically bother people enough for them to complain, or is this something I can consider as a possible future for PvP?

Comments

• Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    the basic paper-rock-scissor is :
    Mage > fighter > rogue > mage
    If bard is a low damage heavy buff, with little self heal, i can imagine he can win the fighter : more able to make long fight.

But then what happens if fighter take cleric as second archetype and so get some life steal (or kind of shit) augments ? and what about bard adding mage augment to do more damages ?

Now we don't have the skills of half of the class, and what we have on the current class (the 3 in alpha1 right now and ranger) can change a little or a lot for alpha 2. it is nearly impossible to figure who counters what in 1v1 scenario. And thing are wose in "classes" while it adds the augments...

For now, there is only one thing to consider : rock-paper-scissor system, some class will have clear advantage in 1v1 against you, other will be in clear disadvantage. Many people will whine and complain asking for "better game balance" and not being able to admit that while some class kill them most of time, they have easy fight on the other, and some matchup seems even (i read far more post about "nerf [include the class i can't kill]" than a "nerf me" or "up [class i never lose against" ).
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2021
    I would think that a good fighter class combo should always smash to bits a good bard class combo.

I dont think that a fighter would be as desired in group pve as a bard, an archer, a mage.

Balanced.
    It's a pvx game not a pve not a pvp
  • Options
    1v1 combat or a 1v1 dance off?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    QQ
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    1v1 combat or a 1v1 dance off?

Well here is the Bard basic attack combo:

bdd2e37d2ace3081261807cb7efb3ac0.gif

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    - PvP will not be 1v1 balanced
    - Each class will supposedly have a hard counter

I doubt Bard / Tank will be the hard counters, so I would personally imagine it will be based on skill or luck with this pairing.
    tK6oEvp.png
  • Options
    Double-edged Sword > Double-necked Lute

....Or at least I hope so.

• Options
    Honestly I think the bard could be designed to be the hard counter to the rogue. If they get wide area debuffs it would screw over rogue openers easily, then you slap on some disorienting spells/escapes and you have an annoying slippery bard who jingles bells at you till you cough up blood in frustration.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    - PvP will not be 1v1 balanced
    - Each class will supposedly have a hard counter

I doubt Bard / Tank will be the hard counters, so I would personally imagine it will be based on skill or luck with this pairing.

Well, what experiences have you had where it goes the other way? Because in most games I'm familiar with, if they're not completely surprised, the Bard will tend to win. (Between Slow and Dispel, the Fighter will already do less damage.)
  • Options
    SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    One thing I was wondering with the rock-paper-scissor aspect is how that breaks down with 8 archetypes. Will each class have counters (for any Big Bang Theory fans, rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock), or each role have counters rock-paper-scissors based on your role in the trinity? It's still alpha, so just speculating, but I think having tank as only tank and mage as only arcane dps might make them stand out a bit all other things equal.
  • Options
    i wont be dieing to no turdy bard, but i will adore the bard beside me.
  • Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited August 2022
    SongRune wrote: »
    Based on something I saw from a Minstrel thread a bit back, the question came up: Who naturally wins in 1v1, in a game where 1v1 isn't automatically balanced? Bards or Fighters?

Fighters specialize in movement and gap closing, but unlike Mages or Rangers, Bards don't need distance to be effective, and in fact, might be better at close range. So does this mean that a Bard, assuming they can, for example, put the Fighter to sleep or something, long enough to get buffs up, has advantage in this 1v1?

Moreso, I'm asking: Would this theoretically bother people enough for them to complain, or is this something I can consider as a possible future for PvP?

As someone whose played a lot of Bards (Chanter in Aion is the best one IMO, have to mention) I think they should not at all be good in 1v1 unless they spec to be more focused on DPS at the cost of their support capabilities. And with this class/build system I think they should and will be able to do that in Ashes. But a traditional Bard specced for support will likely shine best in groups where in the words of Steven, they can act as a "force multiplier". But without any people to support, their abilities won't have as much of an effect.
  • Options
    So much necromancy tonight :o
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    So much necromancy tonight :o

King Atrax readying his followers for launch ;)
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    All of these dumb necros and no one had the mp to rez tank as a class name.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »

Noooooooo, don't do it...... We've put that one to bed, and it's happily snoozing.....
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    JustVine wrote: »

Noooooooo, don't do it...... We've put that one to bed, and it's happily snoozing.....

Damn you, Warth. Damn you to the Underrealm and back again!!!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/