Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Please give us Spearfishing

I'm not asking for an overhaul, you can keep your current fishing style, but give us spearfishing.

I like fishing, but after trying out Warframe's fishing style I just can't go back. I want to time my spear and where the fish will be at and hook it. I want to see the fish and learn their patterns. Learn about fishes and learn what spear works the best for penetrating them.

Spearfishing is just the superior fishing style.

Comments

• AetiusAetius Member
    edited August 2021
    I too like the minigames that Warframe has for things like mining and fishing, and I too would like some little game/challenge for crafting/gathering, but Steven just said yesterday on stream that what we currently view in the Alpha is not what fishing will be later.

The plan is to have a minigame of sorts for fishing at specific spots (think fish schools. Not yet clear), but standard simple fishing will be available for standard water. The former will provide more and better fish/rewards, and the latter will provide fewer and simpler fish/rewards.
  • Aerius wrote: »
    I too like the minigames that Warframe has for things like mining and fishing, and I too would like some little game/challenge for crafting/gathering, but Steven just said yesterday on stream that what we currently view in the Alpha is not what fishing will be later.

The plan is to have a minigame of sorts for fishing at specific spots (think fish schools. Not yet clear), but standard simple fishing will be available for standard water. The former will provide more and better fish/rewards, and the latter will provide fewer and simpler fish/rewards.

Yeh, but from what I know fishing will be limited to fishing poles and there is no spearfishing. I'm suggesting we could get spearfishing, which I consider the superior form of fishing.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ViBunja wrote: »
    Aerius wrote: »

Yeh, but from what I know fishing will be limited to fishing poles and there is no spearfishing. I'm suggesting we could get spearfishing, which I consider the superior form of fishing.

Ok, what about spear fishing do you need in an mmo to be happy?
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    While I am not against the idea of spearfishing, it is worth pointing out that what you are actually asking for (or what you should be asking for) is an in depth fishing system.

Intrepid could very easily provide us with a single click spearfishing system, if they wanted to. We all know that isn't what you want, but it is technically spearfishing.

Intrepid could also offer rod fishing where you need to learn the micro-details of a fishes habitat, details on which bait each fish type likes best, what types of hooks to use, what type of line, how to move the bait through the water, etc.

This is a system that is far closer to what you seem to be after than a single click spearfishing system would be.
  • maybe there will be spear fishing from boats ;) go for the big game out at sea!
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2021
    Would it be gamebreaking if there wasnt?
    Cause if they add spear fishing I'd want them to add a detailed prortrait painting minigame, so that why could create INGAME our paintings for our homesteads.

My mate would like to add a veterenarian healer class, that can only heal animals, but better than other healers.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Steven did say recently that fishing in game is nowhere near what he plans it to be. fishing will have a couple different styles. Location based sports fishing for high rewards. The current sparkly gathering resources will NOT be in the primary game. This is just a placeholder. There will be a type of fishing in any water which is a lower form of fishing with lesser types of rewards.

It would be cool to have the base fishing (fishing anywhere in any water for lower forms on materials) with a pole and the unique areas with rare fish replaced with spear fishing and a mini game. That way, players don't have to waste time on fishing basic areas for materials for potions and things. They just run up and click. However, for unique loot the mini game would be "insert cool spear fishing mini game here". This would also show me if someone is fishing up rare materials so I can kill them for the loot and then scurry away. >:)
  • I definitely appreciate the idea of moving away from the standard mmo fishing that people are bored about. Spearfishing is cool, imagine also doing some kind of crazy minigame for whale fishing, etc!
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Zeshio wrote: »
    I definitely appreciate the idea of moving away from the standard mmo fishing that people are bored about. Spearfishing is cool, imagine also doing some kind of crazy minigame for whale fishing, etc!

Fishing for elite aquatic life from the plank of a ship...damn what a cool thought.
  • edited August 2021
    Zeshio wrote: »
    I definitely appreciate the idea of moving away from the standard mmo fishing that people are bored about. Spearfishing is cool, imagine also doing some kind of crazy minigame for whale fishing, etc!

I think there was a hint at it when they were introducing the boats and the water was clipping through the vessel and it gave them a "cool" idea hinting at a boat with a see through floor on the hull.

Got me thinking of the possibility of fishing boats or attachments associated with storage for catching things out at sea which I also believe they may have been hinting at as well.
  • Would it be gamebreaking if there wasnt?
    Cause if they add spear fishing I'd want them to add a detailed prortrait painting minigame, so that why could create INGAME our paintings for our homesteads.

My mate would like to add a veterenarian healer class, that can only heal animals, but better than other healers.

While there won't be in-game painting, there will be means to upload art and hang it on walls.
    edited August 2021

While there won't be in-game painting, there will be means to upload art and hang it on walls.

But I want an engaging minigame for people that want to paint ingame.
  • HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I gotta say Warframe spear fishing is really good. It’s one of the few games I ever spent any serious amount of time fishing. What a fun game.

After you spear it, it’s not really all that different from regular fishing in mmos, just a different trigger to enter the mini game. Would require fish to have hit boxes.
  • hm... river + lightning bolt = free fish. Easy minigame. ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    hm... river + lightning bolt = free fish. Easy minigame. ;)
    Tisk tisk. Fishing with dynamite. There should be PvX corruption where you could totally do that but now aquatic life is more hostile to you until an aquatic animal kills you. Walk near a stream and fish start flying at your face. They also loot some of your gatherables
  • ViBunja wrote: »

But that's a complex program. The fishing minigame in Warframe is in MB's, you want a drawing software in the GB's that is extremely complex. I don't think you can even compare both of them.
    edited August 2021

But that's a complex program. The fishing minigame in Warframe is in MB's, you want a drawing software in the GB's that is extremely complex. I don't think you can even compare both of them.

I think you should realize that there are more important tasks right now.
    IS is still struggling with combat. Too many request like yours are pilling up.
    I am afraid that they will actually listen to the people calling for "spear fishings", trying to please all those looking for more immersive simple lifeskill peasant gameplay and lose focus.
    "The fishing minigame of warframe..."

How about the active combat movement other games have succesfully designed?
    How come we talk about spear fishing, while we still try to work out tab and action combat.
    Anyway that's my 2cents for spear fishing and brush painting. I got nothing to add to the discussion except for the fact that spear fishing or it's absence isnt gamebreaking.
  • I think you should realize that there are more important tasks right now.

So I guess my underwater Dünir basket weaving request is going to fall on deaf ears, huh?

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png

So I guess my underwater Dünir basket weaving request is going to fall on deaf ears, huh?

In all seriousness, this should be the last lifeskill to be added. After 5 expansions
  • Only if the 5th expansion is solely dedicated to a wickerware focused campaign. I want my lifeskills to connect with lore and make a meaningful contribution to my node. Weaving guarantees citizenship.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • ViBunjaViBunja Member
    edited August 2021

IS is still struggling with combat. Too many request like yours are pilling up.
    I am afraid that they will actually listen to the people calling for "spear fishings", trying to please all those looking for more immersive simple lifeskill peasant gameplay and lose focus.

I think you should realize those artisan professions will be a core element of the game and not just combat. That's my 2 cents. It does not just combat alone and is a reminder that Alpha 2 will have all Artisan Professions. Neither combat and artisan professions are the main goal for the current alpha 1, Alpha 1 is focusing on the system and server stress testing and fixing it so it can handle many users.

Alpha 2 will focus in artisan professions and combat, so bringing this up is important before that.
    "The fishing minigame of warframe..."

How about the active combat movement other games have succesfully designed?
    How come we talk about spear fishing, while we still try to work out tab and action combat.
    Anyway that's my 2cents for spear fishing and brush painting. I got nothing to add to the discussion except for the fact that spear fishing or it's absence isnt gamebreaking.

I think you got it wrong again. They have different teams, they don't have 100 people only working on combat alone, there are small teams working on different things.
    Only if the 5th expansion is solely dedicated to a wickerware focused campaign. I want my lifeskills to connect with lore and make a meaningful contribution to my node. Weaving guarantees citizenship.

seeing how ESO decided to have expansions with companions content in an mmorpg game, leading players to more and more solo content, your idea doesn't seem completely bonkers
  • your idea doesn't seem completely bonkers

That's a high compliment from you. ;) You'll get the first wicker ottoman.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2021
    The devs know how to avoid feature creep.
    Just because players ask for extra stuff, doesn't mean they will get it.
    If you never ask, the answer is always no.
  • TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Spearfishing sounds like a neat Idea. I'd be happy to be able to do that eventually.