Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thoughts after playing New World Open Beta

Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited September 2021 in General Discussion
To my surprise I actually love Amazon's New World. Below I will be listing things I noticed in New World that I think Intrepid should adapt.

1. The Gathering and Crafting in New World is One of the best systems I've seen Ever! Its Fun, fast, Rewarding, and tons to unlock, gather, and craft. Chopping wood, and mining sounds amazing with the echoing of the sounds in the air, and crackling and splintering of the wood as it falls. All the Trees are gatherable. The crafting recipes are very in depth and enable you to craft a plethora of items and goods. New world allows all players to learn all the skills and all the specialties. Gathering is Addicting ;)

2. You are able to level up weapons and each weapons has 2 skill trees. This makes learning weapons fun and rewarding. Unlocking skills as you use those weapons is very enjoyable.

3. The graphics and lighting are top notch!

4. The territory/Fort/Settlement Battle system is fantastic! This gives player options for endgame and ways to interact with other players that are fun and enjoyable. Battling for territory is so fun and gaining standing with settlements and land is a great way to keep players engaged.

5. The menus and UI in this game are beautiful, simplistic and very intuitive.

Intrepid please look at this game as they have a great grasp on making a game fun, enjoyable, and and very deep with their skills, gathering, and territory systems.

Much love hope this helps! If anyone else that has played new world could chime in on what they thought of the game so far please post below.

Comments

• Options
    Bastellon wrote: »
    All the Trees are gatherable.

Well New World is mostly about crafting. But the issue if u make all tree gatherable in Ashes. it mean that some node will have huge advantage over some other (Forest type vs Desert/Island type exemple) And how long would it take for theses trees to spawn back.
    2. You are able to level up weapons and each weapons has 2 skill trees. This makes learning weapons fun and rewarding. Unlocking skills as you use those weapons is very enjoyable.

Also New World is a game that Work mostly on Weapons for Combats so its normal to have some type of progression there unlike Ashes who's Skills bases for many thing. But I saw there will be a weapon skills tree in next Alpha so it might be similar to what you are looking for who know.
  • Options
    ptitoine wrote: »

Well New World is mostly about crafting. But the issue if u make all tree gatherable in Ashes. it mean that some node will have huge advantage over some other (Forest type vs Desert/Island type exemple) And how long would it take for theses trees to spawn back.

But that is going to be a thing in ashes... Certain nodes will have more of certain resources. That is what is going to make trade so important. Moving ore from the node near the mountain, and getting fish from the node by the sea. So having the node in the woods with more lumber available tracks...
  • Options
    To my surprise I actually love Amazon's New World. Below I will be listing things I noticed in New World that I think Intrepid should adapt.

1. The Gathering and Crafting in New World is One of the best systems I've seen Ever! Its Fun, fast, Rewarding, and tons to unlock, gather, and craft. Chopping wood, and mining sounds amazing with the echoing of the sounds in the air, and crackling and splintering of the wood as it falls. All the Trees are gatherable. The crafting recipes are very in depth and enable you to craft a plethora of items and goods. New world allows all players to learn all the skills and all the specialties. Gathering is Addicting ;)

3. The graphics and lighting are top notch!

4. The territory/Fort/Settlement Battle system is fantastic! This gives player options for endgame and ways to interact with other players that are fun and enjoyable. Battling for territory is so fun and gaining standing with settlements and land is a great way to keep players engaged.

5. The menus and UI in this game are beautiful, simplistic and very intuitive.

Intrepid please look at this game as they have a great grasp on making a game fun, enjoyable, and and very deep with their skills, gathering, and territory systems.

Much love hope this helps! If anyone else that has played new world could chime in on what they thought of the game so far please post below.

Indeed. I enjoyed all 5 of those as well. Despite the hate NW gets (some of it justifiably - e.g for me it was getting rid of non consensual open world PvP), they did some things really well imo.
    ptitoine wrote: »

But that is going to be a thing in ashes... Certain nodes will have more of certain resources. That is what is going to make trade so important. Moving ore from the node near the mountain, and getting fish from the node by the sea. So having the node in the woods with more lumber available tracks...

Yep, exactly. Resources won't be equally distributed among nodes - as you said, that is what drives trade (irl as well).
    signature.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You are able to level up weapons and each weapons has 2 skill trees. This makes learning weapons fun and rewarding. Unlocking skills as you use those weapons is very enjoyable.

I haven't seen it yet in my testing but AoC is supposed to have a similar system. There is a combat skill tree that will allow you to unlock proc abilities on the weapons you have for the weapon combo system. You can have 2 melee weapons and 1 ranged weapon equipped and can swap between them. We don't have specifics yet but hopefully it will be as rewarding if not more so than what you experienced in NW.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

Here's what I see wrong with their version... what I see happening after I level everything up to its cap, that leveling system won't mean anything anymore... You would only be left with a still trees associated with each weapon.
    Ashes does have plans for weapons skill trees
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I also look forward to playing New World and giving it a real attempt! I didn't want to get too into it during the betas as I was afraid I'd spoil it for myself :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    I also look forward to playing New World and giving it a real attempt! I didn't want to get too into it during the betas as I was afraid I'd spoil it for myself :)

Dude same
    I had some friends really go at it(more free time than me, made it to level cap and all)
    I just wanted to teat it and see how it feels.

I'm super excited for ashes A2-B2 but I don't want to spoil it all for me either...
  • Options
    New World does many things right.
    It's just unfortunate that everything is so bare bones and lacking depth.
    1. The diversity of things to gather is low for most professions. You are only incentivized to gather the things for the highest tier items you can make/need. The diversity of things to craft might seem huge, but 90% of the things you can craft are useless or become useless within a rather short amount of time. Customizability of crafting recipes are low to non existant.
    2. The skill trees lack depth, synergies and interesting perks. You have 4-8 (6?) Abilities to choose from on each tree, which completely lack any synergistic effects outside of its own weapon tree, which makes you use them whenever you can without much room for tactics or strategy. The passive perks are utter dogshit. Nothing could be more boring than simple perks like (increase damage by 10%, increase crit chance by 5%...) which make out to be a majority of the perks. Building synergy effects, extending the skill tree and growing the importance of choice would go a long way in making a combat system that doesn't get stale within the first 100h of gameplay.
    3. The territory ownership perks, the threat of losing a territory or the ramifications of not owning enough territories are close to non-existent. You can peacefully live in territories you don't own, even though you are part of waring factions. The only perks they provide are miniscule, which limits both the sense of risk and rewards.

Graphic, lighting and especially the sound effects are top notch though and make it a quite enjoyable waste of time. I'd appreciate it though if they were able to work heavily on the performance issues and combat the lack of depth in the game. It has a nice foundation, which does have the possibility to do well for a longer amount of time, but the systems and content of the game have to be gravely extended.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2021
    I lasted all of 47 minutes in the NW beta. Maybe it's Ashes withdrawals, I dunno, but I just noped out of there real quick. I think it was the quest system maybe. Or the stupid running animations :D Obviously too short to get a real impression, but the very short term first hand impression wasn't all that good IMO.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    I lasted all of 47 minutes in the NW beta. Maybe it's Ashes withdrawals, I dunno, but I just noped out of there real quick. I think it was the quest system maybe. Or the stupid running animations :D Obviously too short to get a real impression, but the very short term first hand impression wasn't all that good IMO.

The Game gets better and more fun as you play. Once you start unlocking all the gathering, the settlement, faction and faction missions it becomes more fun with more things to do.

I believe New World will get better with time, and more content will be added as we play. A game like New World with such bare bones systems is it wont last unless they keep adding more content.

Ashes does have plans for weapons skill trees

Im sure Ashes will have such a system that would be fantastic!
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As I have said on other threads and mentioned when referring to great mechanics, ideas from other games; there is a lot to take home from New World.

It suits my temperament and probably game commitment capability. I think so long as they build their content regularly and at short intervals, it will go well... and may just become a sophisticated or more varied game as the content and updates build.

One worrying thing about the game though, which appears to affect many games nowadays, is the ease to get to end game, lack of endgame and just how fast one can get there.. youtubers saying with solid game play one could be at end game in 3 days of playing.

AoC might have a dynamic later portion of game that may transition people away from an "end game" need for more content.. but to be seen, I guess.

Well that sheer speed leaves the change for interests to wain and players to leave even before the first update.

• Options
    Was fun but to much of an Arcade game feel I thought, would hold me for an hour here or there but couldn't see myself investing hours at at time on it after the initial newness wore off..
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    As I have said on other threads and mentioned when referring to great mechanics, ideas from other games; there is a lot to take home from New World.

It suits my temperament and probably game commitment capability. I think so long as they build their content regularly and at short intervals, it will go well... and may just become a sophisticated or more varied game as the content and updates build.

One worrying thing about the game though, which appears to affect many games nowadays, is the ease to get to end game, lack of endgame and just how fast one can get there.. youtubers saying with solid game play one could be at end game in 3 days of playing.

AoC might have a dynamic later portion of game that may transition people away from an "end game" need for more content.. but to be seen, I guess.

Well that sheer speed leaves the change for interests to wain and players to leave even before the first update.

Yes it seems like leveling is quick, MMO builders need to make leveling more of an endless progression so it feels more like the game doesnt have an end. The idea of endgame is what kills games. We as players don't want games to end. The adventure and questing and story telling should never have an end as well as progression and constantly climbing a ladder should never end. An ending means its over. Sustainability needs to be a high priority in games like these to make them last.
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »

:o

Traitor! I'm telling...! :p:D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/