Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Pre-release Player/Server Matching Survey

Greetings,

I'd like to let you know about my recent experience with the game New World.

We joined a server with my guild and we are sharing it with Onslaught.

To give you some background, Onslaught is an hardcore WoW guild, they seem to be performance oriented, but they also play "dirty".

A quick google search with the words "Onslaught griefing" or "Onslaught exploits" / "Onslaught glitches" will yield plenty of results.

Right now in New World on the Chico server, Onslaught has rushed to the level cap and conquered almost all the map.

Many of their members recently got a 2 day ban for exploiting gameplay mechanics.

They set the tax level very high in every cities they conquered and also purposedly downgraded crafting stations to create demand for some raw materials.

Some of what they did is fair game, and good strategy, but some of it isn't. But even if everything that they did was "fair game", I am not sure I want to play with them.

I believe that the level of performance that Onslaught achieves cannot exist unless you are willing to spend a lot of time playing the game. I do not believe playing this much of anything can be done without impacting your personal life ( family, work, etc... ).

Therefor it follows that the members of Onslaught are probably unbalanced and from what I've seen in the Global chat in New World, they are also quite toxic.

I am leaving that here because I hope that the Ashes of Creation leadership can implement some kind of "matchmaking" in the server selection process.

Perhaps a player or guild survey that shows you what type of player is on that server ( pro-hardcore (eg: onslaught), hardcore, casual, etc... ), how much time they expect to play, which days / hour ranges, which guild is on the server, how many players they have, average player age, player language, etc...

The Star Wars Old Republic MMO had something like that ( guild choose their servers prior to the game launch ), and the launch was really smooth / fun for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun in New World and the Onslaught challenge isn't the end of the world. But many people are considering changing server and some smaller guild just can't do anything the way things are right now.

We're all looking forward for Onslaught to go back to griefing WoW players instead. If we had known in advance they were on that server we'd have picked another one.

Comments

• The server cap in New World is only 2000, while Ashes of Creation is expecting to have 10,000. People who "no-life" in Ashes will have an advantage over those who do not tho, so there is still some concern for this game. Still, there it is much less likely that one big guild like that would ruin the entire server. It would be nice to know who you are joining in with on your server tho. There are a lot of community tools (like discord and forums) and I feel like most people playing Ashes will participate in betas, maybe as a community we can decide who is going where.
  • zklzkl Member
    McShave wrote: »
    The server cap in New World is only 2000, while Ashes of Creation is expecting to have 10,000. People who "no-life" in Ashes will have an advantage over those who do not tho, so there is still some concern for this game. Still, there it is much less likely that one big guild like that would ruin the entire server. It would be nice to know who you are joining in with on your server tho. There are a lot of community tools (like discord and forums) and I feel like most people playing Ashes will participate in betas, maybe as a community we can decide who is going where.

Hi, I'm already in a guild and a big one too. I feel the player survey automates a lot of the community leg work you are talking about. Consider also that it's hard to get the whole community together to discuss these things. A player survey / guild pre registration would provide valuable insight when selecting a server.

The way Star Wars had it setup forced guilds to create their guilds prior to launch.

I feel there's a lot that can be done to improve the human element and ensure a fair play / challenging environment for all.

Optimally a guild like Onslaught should be matched with a similar guild so they can both compete on the same level and have an engaging game experience.

Same can be said for smaller guilds. Kinda like they have weight class in boxing.
  • BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited October 2021
    If I were the leader of a big, hardcore, no-life guild I wouldn't participate on a survey to tell my opponents which server I'm going to join. The idea isn't bad but it won't necessarily solve the problem you're pointing out, in my opinion. Hell, some big guilds might even choose the "easier" servers so they can zerg them if they enjoy having no competition.

I would like to point out that New World is quite poorly designed; it enables big guilds to almost ruin the experience of other players, factions are meaningless, the market is a joke, etc.

@McShave also pointed out the server size difference and I will add the map size: it will take time to travel the world in Ashes and the family summon system will probably be abusable by no-lifers and replaced by something less abusable.

However, I do agree this can be a problem, even if at a smaller scale. I don't know what can be done and I also don't know how much should be done to prevent this from happening.

On one hand, surely 9500 players can team up and go against the 500 "bad guys", but that sounds like an excuse for allowing "bad guys" to ruin (a portion of) the server. On the other hand, it kind of goes against the word "sandbox" to design the game around nerfing zergs.

For instance, Rust tried to nerf zergs by making big bases have a crazy high upkeep: it made no difference and it somewhat hurt the smaller groups (which also need big bases or else it's an easy raid).

tl;dr: It's a hard thing to deal with.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • zklzkl Member
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    However, I do agree this can be a problem, even if at a smaller scale. I don't know what can be done and I also don't know how much should be done to prevent this from happening.

Hey :) Thanks for the contribution to this conversation.

I agree this could be difficult to enforce.

On another side though the player survey could also include other information such as demographics and play schedule.

A lot of people end up choosing a server based on the name / population / region, because most of the time that's the only information we have to make that choice.

I would give another example. My guild was supposed to join the "Morrow" server in New World because there's a lot of French Canadian guilds that were planning to play on this guild.

We ended up on Chico because of the long queues on Morrow, but a lot of anglophones playing on Morrow are not having a great time right now because they don't appreciate the mostly French community.

"Pre-registering" players to specific servers prior to launch could avoid situations like these