Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Gear Drops

SneakzSneakz Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Hello friends!

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that gear will drop from mobs, which I am a still unsure I like.

If this is to stay my idea for this would be the following;
- Gear only drops from mobs wearing such gear, I don't want a sword to drop from a horse...A sword should drop from a mob wielding a sword, preferably that same sword the mob is wielding drops would be cool but also not necessary.
- When this gear drops, the gear would only drop broken and not wieldable, meaning you need to get the mats to repair the gear as the gear would have been damaged in the battle to kill said mob to win that weapon/armour.
- This will ensure the economy get some benefit from this and so do crafters
- I would even be open to the idea that broken items in your inventory can drop upon death for the risk vs reward type game play but could be a bit hectic
- For example; you've just killed a boss, epic sword drops but broken and you still need to make it back to town

Cheers

Comments

• VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If Ashes is anything like the game that it is inspired from, gear drops will be extremely rare. Most gear will come from crafting.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    For the most part, gear will be crafted, not dropped from mobs.

The only real talk of mob dropped gear is in relation to top end mobs sometimes dropping a rare item when killed, along with components needed to craft other items.
  • edited October 2021
    Dungeons and Raids were mentioned to have drops from when Steven was on AllCraft with Asmongold. Bosses have a low chance of dropping finished gear. Everything else is for the most part certificate exchange system. The currently suggests that only legendary bosses can drop legendary items.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Looting
    Dungeons and Raids were mentioned to have drops from when Steven was on AllCraft with Asmongold. Bosses have a low chance of dropping finished gear. Everything else is for the most part certificate exchange system. The currently suggests that only legendary bosses can drop legendary items.

What I find to be funny is that the complaints that OP has about bosses dropping completed and working gear seems to be coming from an immersion prospective. I know OP did not say that, but the way I read the post it feels like things making realistic sense seemed to be a priority for them.

Mobs dropping "Hunting Certificates" seems like the least immersive thing that could happen. I get that hunting certificates could be like the scalps off orcs heads or something, but it makes me imagine mobs carry a sheet of paper they guard with their lives... Then you turn that into gear and value somehow...

That said, I am not against OP or the looting system in any way. The term "Hunting Certificate" just amuses me.
    TVMenSP.png
  • edited October 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

What I find to be funny is that the complaints that OP has about bosses dropping completed and working gear seems to be coming from an immersion prospective. I know OP did not say that, but the way I read the post it feels like things making realistic sense seemed to be a priority for them.

Mobs dropping "Hunting Certificates" seems like the least immersive thing that could happen. I get that hunting certificates could be like the scalps off orcs heads or something, but it makes me imagine mobs carry a sheet of paper they guard with their lives... Then you turn that into gear and value somehow...

That said, I am not against OP or the looting system in any way. The term "Hunting Certificate" just amuses me.

I agree to some extent. Could be Elven scalps too :smile:

But it does seem off to have certificates for hunting as a drop. The whole certificate thing seems less immersive and more catering to a safer system for looting and rewards. I recall conversations about what is lootable during PvP and how that has changed. It reminds me of caravan drops from items to certificates within the event and the lack of weight on items. I think the inventory is more about space over encumbrance?

They're definitely trying to figure out what works as development progresses.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »

I do want to clarify this with you guys. "Hunting Certificate" is the classification of the item, not the actual item that drops.

unknown.png
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

I do want to clarify this with you guys. "Hunting Certificate" is the classification of the item, not the actual item that drops.

unknown.png

I get that. Which is why I used orc scalps as an example of a possible "certificate".

The term just makes me imagine a world where everyone has some official piece of paper they guard with their life... Like the paper is their soul or something. I am sure we will get an anime at some point where that is how the world works. If not already?
    TVMenSP.png
  • edited October 2021
    It sounds weird saying hunting certificate. Why even call it a certificate if it implies items such as pelts. Even if it's unique to the economic region(s) it still seems out of place. By definition, a certificate is not a pelt unless the document is forged on the pelt? Considering it will be used for other anatomical parts pertaining hunting it seems off.
    It sounds weird saying hunting certificate. Why even call it a certificate if it implies items such as pelts. Even if it's unique to the economic region(s) it still seems out of place. By definition, a certificate is not a pelt unless the document is forged on the pelt? Considering it will be used for other anatomical parts pertaining hunting it seems off.

I am sure it's just jargon for us to overthink and endlessly debate. Like tank as a base class name...

I can't wait to load my tank full of hunting certificates.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »

I am sure it's just jargon for us to overthink and endlessly debate. Like tank as a base class name...

I can't wait to load my tank full of hunting certificates.

What if you name your tank "tank"? or something contradictory to being a tank?
    Maybe "TankTank" the guardian?
    lol...
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2021
    It is a virtual world after all, so in a back-end kind of way it makes sense calling it a (digital) certificate. A digital certificate is a string of characters, as is that deer pelt in the game. In the game, to the characters, they are very real items.

If our world is indeed a simulation as well (fun rabbithole to go down as a thought experiment), the carrots we grow or buy at the store are nothing but digital certificates as well, but they still nourish us in the simulation we call real life.

Nerror wrote: »
    It is a virtual world after all, so in a back-end kind of way it makes sense calling it a (digital) certificate. A digital certificate is a string of characters, as is that deer pelt in the game. In the game, to the characters, they are very real items.

If our world is indeed a simulation as well (fun rabbithole to go down as a thought experiment), the carrots we grow or buy at the store are nothing but digital certificates as well, but they still nourish us in the simulation we call real life.

I like to think of carrots as more of a digital array of atoms... When I eat them, I transfer some of that array into my own array. Later on, I dump some of the less useful data from the carrot...
    TVMenSP.png