Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Niküa Race - Feb 2022

124»

Comments

• Options
    SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race? Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    I like that the Nikua are not your traditional western European automatically feels like it needs a Scottish accent dwarf. However, I dislike that they proportionally feel like tiny humans. To me if this a dwarf/halfling inspired race I would make the hands and feet larger proportionally, and maybe add some Tolkien style hair tufts.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Niküa race?
    The Nikua overall feels a bit lackluster compared with the other reveals. As I mentioned above, I think their current direction is good, but lacks something special to distinguish from other races. Perhaps giving the Nikua a broader range of tattoos or some cultural flair could distinguish them during character creation.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Niküa race?
    I would like to see a plump slider for Nikua belly fat. Halflings have been portrayed as both rotund and lanky in fantasy art, and I think it would great to see a large variety of roundness.
  • Options
    GutzgoreGutzgore Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The model I seen in the stream for the Nikua seemed to me to be a bit plain. Maybe this is because it is such an early version of them.. I don't know. I think the model for what it was is great. It just did not have any flare to it like the Vek have. I do think the model shown above here is definitely a tad better. Though I think to make this character race one that will attract players to use them, it just needs a bit more to them. I really don't know what, as I am not an artist. However they are far from the awesome Dunir race that was shown. Again just some honest feedback.

I like all the work your teams are doing. Please just give them something a bit more!!

• Options
    flameh0tflameh0t Member, Braver of Worlds
    I don't like that they're so closely resembling dwarves in such a similar bodily build, yes I get that they're supposed to be related, but their upbringing location is totally opposite, I don't see how tree climbing would call for such a short, stocky beef build like cave dwarf would.
    From the sound of the lore, I imagined them to be more amazony tribal, little skinny agile tree jumping jungle people, like Mowgli from the junglebook, or like mini-Tarzan people..

Either way I want leafy loincloth buttflap cosmetic.
  • Options
    very similar to the dwarf race in shape and presentation. Is this the smallest race playable? I think I'd prefer a more child-like look, something more ethereal perhaps like a pixie or a gnome.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Please, no children!
  • Options
    Not in any of the test phases, but would be helpful to see animated characters. Working as a Psychologist in real life. I suppose the facial expressions of all the races are meant to be neutral. However, there is a slightly uncomfortable feel about them, they look a bit puzzled, as if they are saying "what's going on here? I'm a bit scared"
  • Options
    I do like the male one, curious to see what the female would look like.
  • Options
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    Love it! Such an interesting/fascinating new direction for a Dwarven race/subrace.
    Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    Not at the moment.
    Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Niküa race?
    Definitely want to see some amazing facial / body tattoo options to match their vibe like Maui / Tā moko / Maori styles.
  • Options
    I like them a lot. I like that they look different than anything I've seen before. After seeing this - and depending on how the females look - I might be playing on now.

They need tattoo options!
  • Options
    Uncommon SenseUncommon Sense Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    I think for an islander seafaring race they would even be a bit leaner and longer legs adapted and evolved from generations of swimming and water craft. Tribal tats and skin scar patterns. beach shell craft, fish hook worship...cool stuff.
    But I think the whole Polynesian pygmy race is so interesting and opens so much potential.

acrobatic and free spirited with deep respect for the ocean.
  • Options
    Is this a seafaring race? If they spend a lot of time in the water I would like to see their bodies reflect more of that. A swimmer's body would be very appropriate here—broad shoulders, narrow waste, and toned without too much bulk. Some defined, bulky muscles (like in the shoulders) are still okay since I assume there would be a lot of lifting and pulling done on a daily basis, such as the pulling of sailing ropes. I think you nailed the facial features. I'm really curious what the females would look like since I think the female Dunir need some major improvements.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the livestream and showing the differences with the races they rolled out alongside each other. I appreciated how they showed a difference between the Niküa & Dünir. My original worry is that is was going to be a reskin of sorts. Happy they are different! This is a top choice race for me. I'd be curious if the Niküa are more difficult to hit due to their smaller stature. Wondering if that will relate to the size of their hitbox for certain mechanics. Great comments team! I enjoyed reading everyone's feedback :blush:
  • Options
    Altii wrote: »
    I feel like legs-torso ratio is a bit off and it needs slight readjustment like making legs longer and torso a bit shorter... And maybe "beefing" up legs a bit :D

Agreed! Design looks fantastic but think the legs need to be a bit larger, proportionately :)
  • Options
    Montaz wrote: »
    Altii wrote: »
    I feel like legs-torso ratio is a bit off and it needs slight readjustment like making legs longer and torso a bit shorter... And maybe "beefing" up legs a bit :D

Agreed! Design looks fantastic but think the legs need to be a bit larger, proportionately :)

I think the whole design idea behind the Nikua was to not make them "proportionate". If they were proportionate, they would just be the human race.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    nekebnekeb Member
    edited February 2022
    Me and my brother planned on playing Dunir, but after seeing this im having second thoughts.
    Niküa seriously look amazing. The only thing I would change is giving him a bigger butt.
    And please have race-specific casting animation!
  • Options
    GarrenGarren Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the Islander themes, I think its a great idea. I agree with others that I would like to see more options other than just Pacific Islands (i.e. Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam). I like how the hair in this model is tangled, and braided. Sea fairing dwarfs don't have time to comb their hair every day, but dwarfs still value facial hair and hairstyles, and that is seen in this picture.

The portions are lacking. Looking at other comments people agree but have not shown too much direction as to What is missing. My thoughts are as follow: What is the diet of a islander dwarf. Dwarfs traditionally like meat, but that may or may not be lacking around islands. Sea food is an easy an abundant replacement. What body types in real life do sea food eating coastal people have? Tradionally dwarves don't eat greens but Scurvy is a common issue amongst sailors. Maybe the Nikua had to adapt and consume citrus fruit and other greens to survive. Maybe their are tribes or groups of Nikua that survive on less abundant islands. Maybe like in the movie Cast Away you have a famished group of Nikua. What would their bodies look like. Furthermore, what muscle groups do surfers, athletics swimmers, or sailors have? I would like to see the Nikua take on a body type more accustomed to swimming, Strong arms, strong core, but not overly buff. But maybe there are sliders that allow for these options. Skin tone is another thing we will most likely have sliders for, but what about tanned skin. I want to see the Nikua have sun weathered skin if they are spending so much time outside. The Dunir spend time in mountains, so where is the tan skin and bleached hair, the leathery sun kissed skin. Not just color sliders but visibly weathered skin.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Niküa race?
    A great start, listen to the community, but at the end of the day pick something you want the Nikua to be a run with it. Just make sure there is enough differentiation from the Dunir.

Weathered skin verse skin that is accustomed to the climate. Tattoos and body art accustomed to say Moana/Maui and Polynesian themes. Let me play as a Nikua with Disney's Maui's luscious curly hair.
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'd have to see the females to really give an opinion; but so far they look good.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    Looks good for a dwarf type only problem I have with this is the same as the other. Legs are to skinny. Need more definition in the legs to support there massive body's and large weapons. In my opinion I always match hammers and 2h axes with my dwarfs and love this strong bulky look they have
  • Options
    I like the Nikua's more realistic portrayal of dwarves, over the Dunir. We think of fantasy dwarves as being barrel-chested, but none of the little people I've met IRL have looked like the Dunir; They normally more-closely resemble the Nikua.

If they're a beach-dwelling people, yours truly would like a lot of extended tattoo options - including full-body.

• Options
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race? Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?

The basic direction is pretty cool, but atm the nikua just look like a weaker version of the dunir. They look way to friendly

-tattoos
    -scares

• Options
    I thought I was in the minority when I was thinking I liked the Nikua as you presented them (with and without facial hair). Im interested in getting some nice body options, as the Polynesian people I know are built like trucks. They are very hefty, well-built, folks. To be honest, these would be the type of dwarves I'd roll if I had to pick. But again, I enjoy the different options you are giving the players.
  • Options
    Mangust747Mangust747 Member
    edited February 2022
    Greetings to all, first I would like to express my great gratitude for the fact that the Dunir race was made like dwarves from Tolkien, it's not for nothing that I and other people wrote about it here.
    Now Nikua, I would like them to have tattoos to choose from, similar to the tattoos of the Maya tribe, for example. And be sure to add tattoos to dwarves in the form of Scandinavian mythology or runes. I hope the translator coped.
  • Options
    Mangust747Mangust747 Member
    edited February 2022
  • Options
    Pretty cool so far, hasn't grabbed my attention like oh wow like the Ren'Kai or Dunir, but I like the direction of The Islanders, surfies, people who live by the sea and get their resources from the sea. Their height and head ratio looks great.

I don't think they need to be as muscled as the Dunir, while still from the same ancestory they are now many generations apart and I feel they should be more lean, still toned but not look like a blacksmith. They should look like they live off the land, a smaller physique is less energy required.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Niküa race? Tyler1 making an appearance was great, I think the touch of comedy is brilliant. I do like the hair shown on the models here more then the model we saw in the livestream though.

More things from the sea, bones, scales, surfie hair styles.
  • Options
    Almost expect these guys on an Island Cannibal Horror Show... Or Dungeon.... Nope... Not these either.
    The Truth has 3 sides, Your Point of View, Their point of View, and The Actual Truth, so, Be careful How you wield the Sword of Truth, It Cuts 3 ways!
  • Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I find it incredibly difficult to give any feedback to the Niküa, because unlike the Vek and the Ren'kai who are noticeably different and unique, I'm just looking at Dwarves with a darker skin tone and different hair.

When I look at the Niküa model which has been provided to give feedback to, without applying any biases nothing makes me think that they have anything to do with Polynesian culture, seafaring, or that they get a substantial amount of their food from the ocean with some exotic fruit, like a lot of people in traditional Polynesian culture do.
    You could tell me, that they come from any place with a lot of sun, and I'd believe you.

To me the Niküa look too similar to the Dünir, and if it wasn't for their skin tone and hair, I couldn't tell you which one is which.

Steven has said in the past that the Niküa have a Polynesian influence, and when it comes to looks, Polynesians are well known for being quite tall and amazing looking.
    I suggest taking that more into account and make the Niküa taller than the Dünir, but still have them be noticeable smaller than a Kaelar for example.
    The size difference could greatly help to tell them apart, without having to refer to their skin tone or hair - which depending on what the character is wearing, might not even be visible.

When it comes to customization options, i would love to see a wild mix of tattoos inspired by Maori, Samoan, Marquesan and Hawaiian, and hopefully Tahitian even ones.
    I like them all for very different reasons, and I hope that if any of the tattoos are being directly ported into Ashes of Creation, that this is done with respect for their meaning and origin.
  • Options
    Seo RakSeo Rak Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Teyloune wrote: »
    I find it incredibly difficult to give any feedback to the Niküa, because unlike the Vek and the Ren'kai who are noticeably different and unique, I'm just looking at Dwarves with a darker skin tone and different hair.

When I look at the Niküa model which has been provided to give feedback to, without applying any biases nothing makes me think that they have anything to do with Polynesian culture, seafaring, or that they get a substantial amount of their food from the ocean with some exotic fruit, like a lot of people in traditional Polynesian culture do.
    You could tell me, that they come from any place with a lot of sun, and I'd believe you.

To me the Niküa look too similar to the Dünir, and if it wasn't for their skin tone and hair, I couldn't tell you which one is which.

Steven has said in the past that the Niküa have a Polynesian influence, and when it comes to looks, Polynesians are well known for being quite tall and amazing looking.
    I suggest taking that more into account and make the Niküa taller than the Dünir, but still have them be noticeable smaller than a Kaelar for example.
    The size difference could greatly help to tell them apart, without having to refer to their skin tone or hair - which depending on what the character is wearing, might not even be visible.

When it comes to customization options, i would love to see a wild mix of tattoos inspired by Maori, Samoan, Marquesan and Hawaiian, and hopefully Tahitian even ones.
    I like them all for very different reasons, and I hope that if any of the tattoos are being directly ported into Ashes of Creation, that this is done with respect for their meaning and origin.

definitely needs more of a noticeable difference other than being the same dwarf with a different skin tone, I don't think that alone properly conveys the intricate design that they were trying to go for here. I hope this reflects in customization.
  • Options
    I think that Niküa need to have more dwarfish built ( like Dunir, bigger back, longer hands, bigger feet and hips) and just different culture..
    Culture direction is fine 7 or 8 out of 10 but his built look's more like Halfling then a dwarf to me and it just stand's out as the first thing when i look.. Simply it is not a dwarf when i look at it..