Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Player Feedback Request] Character Creator

1235»

Comments

• Lord_MarshalLord_Marshal Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    While making a 'fat' character might be inclusive to some, it is also unrealistic. Think about what fantasy adventures go through. A fat out of shape person would die.

Remember the first rule of surviving the Zombie Apocalypse.
    Cardio.
  • There are so many truly great things about the character creator that made me very excited. However, there is one thing I really didn't like.
    I'm happy that there will be no things like penguin outfits or car mounts but I strongly disagree with hair color limitations. You can have dozens of bright orange options but you can't have a subtle purple balayage or baby blue highlights? In the same world where you can play as a cool trippy alien person and stumble upon the abomination that Whispering Watcher is...
    I really hope you guys change your stance on that.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    While making a 'fat' character might be inclusive to some, it is also unrealistic. Think about what fantasy adventures go through. A fat out of shape person would die.

Remember the first rule of surviving the Zombie Apocalypse.
    Cardio.
    Who says I'm an Adventurer?
    Maybe I'm an Artisan.
    Maybe I have enough magic to compensate for being fat.

In any case, Adventurers die a lot. Even when they aren't fat.
  • DisobedientDisobedient Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    When Steven put highlights on the long beard, the sides looked unnatural.
  • LunariGoddessLunariGoddess Member
    edited April 2022
    Alright, so, many things I was thinking about have already been mentioned, but I do want to point out a really important thing based on another comment I saw.

So, somebody said: "Blush and makeup for females" and "Make women feminine". Okay, so, this is completely fine, and I do want that too, BUT please, please, PLEASE, do not restrain any race and the sexes and/or genders of each one to be only one way. Like, don't restrain males to be strictly masculine, or women to be strictly feminine. I think part of having an amazing character creation tool is the uniqueness someone can create a character with. Ashes Of Creation will be a game with a lot of diversity, right?(I hope there are lots of it in different aspects of the game, not just in the character creation tool), well, don't forget real life people and obviously AOC's community are diverse too!, and this is coming from someone who creates only female and feminine characters in all games by the way, just so y'all know.

So, I really hope that you guys take this into account and great consideration, because someone might want to create a male character with some makeup on and/or some feminine features, or create a female character with a harsh or "masculine" complexion, or just straight up create an androgynous character, any of those would be fu**ing cool too, to create a character that is not "usual" and at the own desires and image of each person, just like in real life. It's entirely up to ANYONE who wants to create a character like that. That's the purpose of an amazing character creation tool!

Now, again, I do hope that the character creator is not the only thing that is THAT diverse, but the whole game too in a lot of different aspects of it.

Much love xoxo <3
    npxg1g9bl1f0.jpg
    ⋆⁺₊⋆☾⋆⁺₊⋆‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ Blessed you are, living in the night, guided by me and all my dear stars ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ ⋆⁺₊⋆☽⋆⁺₊⋆
  • ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It’s looking good so far. Honestly the more sliders and different options for everything the better, people should be able to go wild with the creator(within reason proportionally and aesthetically of course). Shareable templates via either files or unique codes would be cool to see. Ideally I hope to see a huge variety of body and face sliders, also loads of hairstyles and facial hair/features with sliders for all of the races. Visible information such as character height, hex or rgb info for colors, and other information would be nice to have on-screen as others have mentioned.
  • I would really like the addition of a paintbrush for skin tones. I noticed when Steven was playing around with the scars on the face in the dev update, that the lighter skin tones really made the scars pop more and be more visible. The ability to add some lighter skins tones around the scar tissue without changing the entire skin tone would be nice. A skin tone paintbrush would also be nice to add patches around the skin in general, something I saw a few of people asking for.
  • Please don't force me to have antlers as a wood elf. I love wood elves and just want to play the classic version. Why not make it optional?

There are other games out there where wood elves have antlers, you just never think of them because people never use them.

Aside from that gripe, yall blew my mind with that char creator!
  • Lord_MarshalLord_Marshal Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    If you take the wood out of the Wood Elves, then you only have a regular Elf and there is already one of those for you to choose.
  • I like everything you have posted so far, while I think you are going a little over board with the amount of customization especially since most of your character is going to be covered in armor/clothes so you can’t see all the special specific details anyway.

The biggest thing that I want to see would be more ethnic hair styles. Most games just have the bald, weird Afro, or basic/crappy dreadlocks. I would LOVE to see some variety.

And don’t gender lock anything!
  • raeyikraeyik Member
    Hello, my feedback is regarding anatomical neck positioning on the "human-like" races like the Kaelar.

As someone in the medical field, I have been frustrated with the way that many MMO's push forward a person's neck and head without a way to adjust it. In the video I saw ways to adjust the length and girth of the neck; however, I did not see (or missed) the way to adjust the forward position of an avatars head.

I can understand certain animalistic types of characters having a different orientation but it would be really amazing if Ashes broke the mold on this and actually allows for players to adjust the forward head posture of at least the humanoid race. For correct posture for a human, your ear should align with your shoulder and your shoulder to your hips if viewed from the side. As mentioned, most games exaggerate how far forward from this center point the head is pushed which must drive every chiropractor, massage therapist, physical therapist, and even doctors/surgeons nuts.

Please consider proper anatomical alignment of head/neck/shoulder or at least allow us to adjust that in the character creator if it is not already adjustable.

Thanks! Other than that, I think the character creator is looking super robust and amazing. I can't wait to get to play with it myself!
  • Longer beards down to lower chest area
  • Skyri02Skyri02 Member
    Maybe i am late to post stuff here since the "deadline" was Thursday, April 14, 2022. But i will try it anyway, and hope it reaches the character creation devs =)

Piercing
    I would like to have piercings like this in game.
    This piercing can have different thickness to them and would be nice to be able to change the colors on them like black, silver, gold , pure white etc.
    piersccii.jpg

Earrings
    Would be nice to be able to chose which ear should have what earing premade set, let us mix. Like the picture below, maybe the right ear have one set of earings while the left ear have different earrings.

Example: one of this ears pictures is one set. chose where you want them. you want two identical set on each ear or only on one ear? Want to stay with only one set on one ear and have the other one empty? or you want different set on each ear?

The earing sets can be very simple looking with maybe only one ring or have many earings in one ear. Also have the earings placed on different levels of the ear. Mix it ;D
    Errinnggs.jpg

Freckles
    Would love to have normal freckles and even magical ones like the pictures. Would be cool to be able to change the colors on them aswell. Final fantasy dose this and its lovely ^^
    freckles_sparkle.jpg

Magic/diamonds face painting
    face_crystal_paintings.jpg

Unique detailed make up and simple ones

Would be nice to have some really cool special looking make up sets to use and ofc simple ones aswell.
    makeupp.jpg

Tattoo
    Tattoos that covers the body like the pictures below. Some are ink and some are made by stonecrystals.
    tattooos.jpg

Bird wings
    Would be awesome to have some sort of tattoo that symbolizes phoenix wings.
    wingsss_tatooo.jpg

Golden Tattoo
    The style and placements of this tattoos is somethng i would would love to have on my character ^^
    gold_tatoo.jpg

Full body tattoo that is elegant and simple.
    Bodey_tatoo.jpg

Luminos tattoo
    World of warcraft have this tattoo on the race called Nightborne.
    Would be nice to have tattoos like this ingame.
    Luminos_tatooo.jpg

Body bracelet
    Foot bracelet - if we have it in the game it would be nice to be able to chose style on them and if we want them on both ankles or just one.
    If we have gear that covers our body this stuff wont show ofc. but if we have clothes that shows stomach or if we have sandals this bracelets will show if we chose to have it when we made our character.
    brace_fooot.jpg

Teeth
    Maybe have a options to chose how you want ur teeth to look depending on the race you chose.
    Some races can have different teets then we are used to. This is especially intersting and fun if you have emotes and spells that makes ur character open its mouth for a moment.
    In this video you can see an emote from Final fantasy 14 that makes ur character look like it is having a conversation and you can see the teeth of that character well. So it would be fun to be able to see ppl have different teeth and its fun for RP.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llkY-Yzcjpo

teeethh.jpg
  • The most important aspect to me is hair color I hate it when games let you do less then you can in real life. There are areas in the game with crazy colors and saying noone in the game world has tired to put some of that in there hair feels unrealistic and it the simple fact people say you should stick to "natural" colors just makes me think of people getting fired for dyeing there hair. I only use a dark teal myself but hair color is normally one of the only really uniqe things you can see at a glace and can really change the feel of everything else.
  • Physics for long beards. After playing so much Deep Rock, I can't go back to substandard beard simulation technology.
  • RaxousRaxous Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Vaknar wrote: »

Everyone here at Intrepid Studios looks forward to reading all the feedback you have to share regarding our Character Creator!
    So im really liking the new races, I really hope i can be a bad ass werewolf look, and with a tail its about time an MMO allows this.
    ik worgens are out there but they have some cons..
    Amy
  • AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like or dislike about the Character Creator we shared?
    looks great, didnt see the belly getting expaned to a fat belly if then the sixpack also disapears or if its still visible. or if i goe more skinny if the ribs and bones does apear or not.

What features would you like to see included in the future for the Character Creator?
    for most of the time the head is the most visible part while gameing the body itself shows more if peoples does go Pveing and do stuff seen from FF14. from the streams with Steven ingame his camera 3dr person viev is so far away and wareing armor its hard to see most cosumations and my gess is that it will have many players useing about 90% of the time the 3rd person view, mostly streamers and content creators will zoom in to actualy see their creation or that of others.
    I just hope that Ugly desings aint possible or child like characters so that every character owned and playeble by players is adult. also not like to see minimees like dwarf on the smallest possible hight. where the running is cartoonlike as of in the roadrunner.

What areas of customization are important to you?
    Face is the most important part if also with a option to let players choose if the hair grows so they need to trim or shave it and so can change their apearance a bit from time to time. As for the story i dont think the Characters that travel to verra are imortals. But giveing that as a option to players to ether stay as they are or enable so they can customize their hair every now and then.

for the body even if mostly hidde i realy like to see big bellys without sixpack on them or if skinny that bones are visible under the skin. that if tatoo is used it can be streched to simulate a later grow of a belly or otherway around. maybe a tool that allows to create tatoos outside of the game and implement them into the game on the caracter (but since it needs zu stay in boundrys thats hard to do, cause some allways try to add in someing inpropriet like for example a SS sign)

as for coloration i would not allow all colors of the rainbow at start for the hair dye so its more true and maybe beeing a ingame achiveable thing to ad later ingame. so brown, black, blond, reddish, and white colors for humans, for other races maybe replaceing a color or 2 so that each race has its colors and appearance range. also on skincolors. im not against rainbows but as gear doesnt feature that colorations so should chars not feature it. problably the way colorazation of gear is mentioned in the stream of july would be the best way to handle hair, beard color and skin color.

eyes should be free of colorbounds

for tatoos permanent makeup might be a thing as well and a ruler to let tatoos look aged and worn out, or even the possebility to cut a tatoo so to make it better suiteble with scars while scars may always be on the top layer and tatoos on the second layer.