Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Steal "Rare mobs" from wow, and keep them rare!

Rare mobs are so cool! I think one of the biggest things they do is get you off your mount while you are passing through, and if they drop loot unique to THAT specific mob, it's even better.

I think It is important for them to look like other mobs in the area, but slightly different, IE holding a different weapon, different color, slightly bigger model, ect.
I think something ashes could do that would be unique is have certain rares "locked" until a node progresses enough, and then they start spawning. Meaning you could make seeing a rare mob even more special by adding these constraints, making it truly IRL lore worthy.

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Why steal "rare mobs" off a game that stole them off of EQ, which itself is a game that stole them off another game?

If Intrepid were to steal rare mobs, WoW's way of implementing them wouldn't be my first pick - as they aren't all that rare in that game.

Go with a game where rare mobs spawn once every 6 - 9 months and have several unique items - meaning some of those items will never drop on some servers.
  • BracuBracu Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Why steal "rare mobs" off a game that stole them off of EQ, which itself is a game that stole them off another game?

If Intrepid were to steal rare mobs, WoW's way of implementing them wouldn't be my first pick - as they aren't all that rare in that game.

Go with a game where rare mobs spawn once every 6 - 9 months and have several unique items - meaning some of those items will never drop on some servers.

i think 6-9 months is a bit heavy, for wow whenever i see a rare i go out of my way to slay it and im happy whenever i spot one as they sometimes got unique models, unique loot(looks) and also some behavior linked to them.

There could also be something different than just loot linked to it? like rare crafting material... or a higher chance to get a high grade... or achivements i think there are more ways to make rares interesting besides just loot
    AoC hype
  • VissoxVissox Member
    Noaani wrote: »

Wow mobs used to be a lot more rare than they are now. Some of them were on 7 day timers. I also think 6-9 months is extreme, but like I said in the post having them locked to node progression could make them even more rare when compounded on spawn timers, and from what I understand the way nodes work that might mean some rares won't be on one server but could potentially be on another, which is wicked awesome.

I did not know wow borrowed the rare idea as well, but it does not surprise me, they took a lot of good ideas, but I want this game to do the same. As the saying goes, if it aint broke, don't fix it!
  • If adding rare mobs, have it, if you can, where certain rare mobs spawned only when players are not giving enough attention to something. Like, if mining isn't occurring actively for a long period of time a golem rare spawns, but all it drops are mats but you get an effect emote. Or a treat spawns because no one is harvesting trees, etc.
  • InseiInsei Member
    Why not take it a step further.
    Rare with 1-7days rng spawn
    chance for the rare kill to trigger special event.
    Event changing regular mobs to Elite mobs for a certain time.
    If elite mobs are killed in the time, super rare can spawn.
    You can play with this a bit more, like having a special event having to occur only once a month.