Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Naval Ship Sizes

YepodYepod Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited June 2022 in General Discussion
So first I would like to adress that this might have been asked somewhere else, if so sorry for repeating I just couldn't find it!

But my question is about the sizes of the ships you can control/buy. Are we talking simply a upper deck or can we go inside of the ship kind of like Sea of Thieves and use barrels to store things such as fish and so on? Would be kind of cool if the ship can be your second 'home' if the player decides to go that route.

Comments

• Options
    Can i piggyback on this?
    In relation to Yepods question;

I see that ship cosmetics are vastly different in design. Do these cosmetics impact the size of ships and space available on them?

Like, do all ships share an equal «physical space» and cosmetics only change textures/non-physical assets?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    SomethingWittySomethingWitty Member, Staff, Leader of Men, Alpha One
    Moved to General Discussion.
    customer_support.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thu-ree!!
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2022
    I actually asked a version of one of these questions for the latest Live Stream

"Will I be able to apply any cosmetic skin to any ship I want, and if not, how do I know which cosmetics go to which types of ship?"

Intrepid's response:

@Karthos (question) - You may likely not be able to apply ship cosmetics skins to any ship. Skins for ships may likely be assigned a specific ship type that they can be applied to. We're working with the design team to get more information on specifics for the skins :)

From what we have seen, there will be 3 basic kinds of ships. Small, Medium, Large.

Small- 1-3 man
    Medium- group size, or 8 man
    Large- Raid Size, or 40 man

With the above information, this would imply based on the size of the ship, the space on board will be enough to accommodate these numbers, meaning a Large ship will likely have multiple decks, and the skins are going to only apply to specific sized ships. You won't be able to have a Raid sized row boat for example.

Some of the cosmetics we've seen in ships do show multiple decks, and below deck potential on the larger ones, while others are one deck small ships.

Here are some "small" ships
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjSNIUdxaxo&t=2624s

These ships are probably a Group or Raid size, given the amount of deck space, and the multiple decks
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/The_Wind's_Veil
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/The_Wonderwisp

Ships will have "slots" or attachments. Steven has addressed that military vessels are going to have a capacity for "weapon based attachments", and a transport ship may have defensive. The full quote listed below makes me feel like you can adjust the amount of cargo you can carry, and customize your ship beyond just weapons are armor.

"Ships are going to also have classes. Those classes are going to dictate the type of of attachments that can be applied and in what quantity. A military vessel type may have more capacity for weapon based attachments. A transport ship might have more capacity for defensive based attachments. And then you'll have more versatile ships that can share across those types. So in that sense you are constructing a componentized ship for the types of activities you intend to do: Are you a raider? Are you a mover of goods? Are you an adventurer? These types of things are going to inform your decision of what the attachments you're going to have in those three categories".[44] – Steven Sharif

I would also direct anyone interested in ships to visit the wiki page
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Ships
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Now is there an actual limit? Could 12 people stand on a 3 man crewed ship?