Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

We need the option to disable cosmetics.

I understand AoC intends to cater to RP'ers, but for the sake of gameplay in an open PvP world, we need to see what gear people are wearing before a fight breaks out. I don't think it's viable to have to inspect each person we come across. Please add the option to disable cosmetics.

Comments

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You don't need to inspect someone to know their gear. If you are familiar with archeage, there will be a buff that shows the type of gear being worn and the quality. The icon alone should allow you to recognize what players are wearing.
  • Options
    You don't need to inspect someone to know their gear. If you are familiar with archeage, there will be a buff that shows the type of gear being worn and the quality. The icon alone should allow you to recognize what players are wearing.

Having to click a person to see their gear buffs is no less obstructive than clicking to inspect them. Every second matters in a pvp game. I don't want to have to click each person to read about what gear they're wearing as they're killing me.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Having to click a person to see their gear buffs is no less obstructive than clicking to inspect them. Every second matters in a pvp game. I don't want to have to click each person to read about what gear they're wearing as they're killing me.

Who said you had to click on them to see it? It could float next to their name.
  • Options
    That sounds like a lot of infornation to have floating next to a name, especially if there's 20 people nearby. I don't see how they can fit all that data for each piece of gear in a non-intrusive way on the screen. Surely disabling cosmetics would be far more player friendly?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I wish this could happen cause I fucking hate transmog, but it ain't gonna happen.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I wish this could happen cause I fucking hate transmog, but it ain't gonna happen.

Yep, gotta sell those skins at the expense of gameplay.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    That sounds like a lot of infornation to have floating next to a name, especially if there's 20 people nearby. I don't see how they can fit all that data for each piece of gear in a non-intrusive way on the screen. Surely disabling cosmetics would be far more player friendly?

It just needs to be 1 icon next to their name. It would be easier tell by this icon then if you looked at the gear.

All you need is 3 different icons, one for each gear type and change the icon color based off rarity/power. If you are not familiar, please look at AAs gear icons.

Cosmetics are a way for people to customize your character and in an MMO, a big reason to customize your character is to show it off. Having a button that turns that off goes against that.

Yep, gotta sell those skins at the expense of gameplay.

The skins are sold to fund more gameplay so no.
  • Options
    What exactly about seeing their character look is going to hinder you in pvp? This isn't smite or overwatch.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You think you need to see the gear for PvP.
    The Ashes game design alreay address that issue without disabling cosmetics.
    We should test that first before complaining as if it's actually a problem.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Nameplate
    A buff icon indicates the character's gear and grade.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I know for sure that seeing someone's gear helps in pvp. Now whether that icon can replace gear visibility well enough - that's up for debate and testing. Sure hope it can.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    @NiKr - can you give some examples from L2 how this helped? I never played L2.

Most of my modern MMO pvp is from WoW and GW2. GW2 is a wash because of the pvp gear normalization. In WoW I never used gear visuals to evaluate an opponent's power because xmog made it irrelevant. I only looked at HP, buffs, and debuffs (+ whatever my addons & UX I config'd to display).
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    CROW3 wrote: »
    @NiKr - can you give some examples from L2 how this helped? I never played L2.
    Due to how gear sets worked in L2 you'd know a ton of info just by looking at your enemy. Pretty much all sets had their own silhouette and color. Robes/light/heavy armor all looked different too and looked different on different classes, so even within the same set you'd differentiate classes at a glance.

You see a party running up to your farming location? You immediately saw their support healer/buffers, you'd see their tank and which tank it was so you knew their skillset. You'd know their general resistances and you'd know their rough build. And of course they knew the same about you.

You'd know their rough power lvl because of how gear tiers worked (can only fully utilize a tier after you've reached a certain lvl) so you could at least assume what skills they might have just by looking at them. Though depending on the progress stage of the server you might've seen a dude who should've been wearing t4-5 wearing t3 just because t4 was still super rare, so on the early stages of the server there'd still be some mystery when it came to the strength of your opponent, but you still knew which class they were at a glance (give or take a few rare off-builds).

Here's a vid going through all sets up to t4 on just one character model.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-JX9yOtuS8
  • Options
    At least in Albion you can disable other players' skins (works at least in open world) from settings so that their gear is readable. This is a reasonable feature in games which has open world PvP with consequences and gear has noteable power value. Thus, totally doable and already in use.

However, that icon which shows "gearscore" might be enough in Ashes because the gear mainly (or fully) just boosts player power and therefore, it does not necessarily need to be readable. In Albion gear includes abilities which is why it is important to read / know what abilities the enemy has in use.

If... IF gear in Ashes will have some extra which would be good to be readable, then I would suggest to add disable option for skins and cosmetics. Otherwise it might not be needed.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited June 2022
    In WoW I never used gear visuals to evaluate an opponent's power because xmog made it irrelevant. I only looked at HP, buffs, and debuffs (+ whatever my addons & UX I config'd to display).

Pretty much this.

You can tell a lot about the player by their PvP rank, class, HP, buffs, and other stats (not by their appearance) ... at least in the competetive MMOs that I've played.

Cosmetics are a way of showing off game achievements (or supporting the game in development). If other players can't see that achievement, why even offer them?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Cosmetics are a way of showing off game achievements (or supporting the game in development). If other players can't see that achievement, why even offer them?
    In L2, your gear was the achievement. And when everyone reached the same lvl of gear tier, your name would be the achievement, if you were good enough in pvp. There was a pvp arena top 1# title and visual reward, but those could be somewhat exploited by guilds, so they didn't matter as much as your pure reputation did.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I definitely hear ya OP. It's not ideal. Full body costumes have been controversial in most of the pvp mmos I can think of. It's not changing though, it's here to stay.

Although didn't they say something about cosmetics may be disabled during sieges or something?

Hopefully other things, like the weapons someone has equipped, will be telltale signs of what the rest of their gear likely is.
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited June 2022
    Ferryman wrote: »
    At least in Albion you can disable other players' skins (works at least in open world) from settings so that their gear is readable. This is a reasonable feature in games which has open world PvP with consequences and gear has noteable power value. Thus, totally doable and already in use.

However, that icon which shows "gearscore" might be enough in Ashes because the gear mainly (or fully) just boosts player power and therefore, it does not necessarily need to be readable. In Albion gear includes abilities which is why it is important to read / know what abilities the enemy has in use.

If... IF gear in Ashes will have some extra which would be good to be readable, then I would suggest to add disable option for skins and cosmetics. Otherwise it might not be needed.

I also play Albion, which is part of the reason I made this post. It's not only gear that cosmetics can hide but mounts as well. Knowing how fast a mount goes, its hp and armor is very useful for catching players. The game would suffer as a whole if you could not disable mount cosmetics because each mount requires its own strategy to dismount.

I fear the same will be true for ashes. Some mounts will presumably be slower but sturdier. Others will have abilities. The complexity will be insane already considering the depth of the animal husbandry system, and cosmetics will only make deciding what strategy to take murkier.

Do we really have to go through this because some people want us to see which skins they bought? Just let people disable cosmetics at their discretion. Those who wish to enjoy them can do so at their leisure, but give the rest of us the choice.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thankfully, Ashes is PvX in a High Fantasy world replete with high magic.
    Illusions are part of the risk of OWPvP in Ashes.
  • Options
    I know for sure that seeing someone's gear helps in pvp. Now whether that icon can replace gear visibility well enough - that's up for debate and testing. Sure hope it can.

exactly why I don't share gear in pvp games lmao.
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No, you don't need it. Intrepid are aware of the "glance value" of gear and will work to keep it for PvP reasons. I think a bigger issue than losing glanceability would be players seeing different sets of gear on the same player. Additionally, half of their monetization strategy is cosmetics. You will never be able to disable cometics and transmog.
  • Options
    Do we really have to go through this because some people want us to see which skins they bought? Just let people disable cosmetics at their discretion. Those who wish to enjoy them can do so at their leisure, but give the rest of us the choice.

The enjoyment comes from other players seeing your achievement cosmetics ... not you seeing your own cosmetics.

Surely, you understand that distinction, @ClintHardwood?

That might sound vain to some ... but as mentioned in my other post it's not an issue/problem in the MMOs I currently play.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I would like that but it's not going to happen.

If such an option was available the value of the cosmetics would go down, since the people buying them want to show off and they wouldnt be able to.

No studio would bring the value of their cosmetics down.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    If there was a real performance difference to be had in high population situations then I suppose an option would make sense, but I really rely on cosmetics to cover up the fact I have no fashion sense, I prefer to throw on one item and be done with it, if someone were to see the mish-mash I usually cobble together, then they might get the impression I don't care enough about the game to pay attention to details... which is true, but I don't want to be caught not caring..
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you saw someone approaching you wearing full plate carrying a two handed sword both clearly recognizable what information would this give you in a game like Ashes where gear is agnostic. Anybody can use any gear makes the whole cosmetics argument moot as long as using the cosmic or transmog system means using plate cosmetics only on plate and cloth only on cloth.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    If you saw someone approaching you wearing full plate carrying a two handed sword both clearly recognizable what information would this give you in a game like Ashes where gear is agnostic.

My first thought is that Bard must have some rough gigs. 🙀

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you saw someone approaching you wearing full plate carrying a two handed sword both clearly recognizable what information would this give you in a game like Ashes where gear is agnostic.

My first thought is that Bard must have some rough gigs. 🙀

Sounds like a good time to me. But then I do like......more aggressive music.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    If you saw someone approaching you wearing full plate carrying a two handed sword both clearly recognizable what information would this give you in a game like Ashes where gear is agnostic. Anybody can use any gear makes the whole cosmetics argument moot as long as using the cosmic or transmog system means using plate cosmetics only on plate and cloth only on cloth.

What it would mean depends greatly on the games combat system.

If armor gave a flat damage reduction to physical damage, someone in plate armor would tell you that you shouldn't use smaller physical attacks - stick to bigger attacks, even if they are slower.

The two handed sword would tell me the attacks are slow, meaning I probably have time between swings to get my attacks in, if I manage to not get hit by his.

The thing with gear being agnostic though, is that each item type is still probably going to have inherent bonuses/effects to it. Daggers are likely going to have faster attacks, and two handed swords will likely be slower - I expect there to be an inherent effect on the weapons that translates this to abilities (it could be an outright boost/reduction to cast speed of abilities, or it could be that ability cast speed is a function of weapon speed - either way, I expect something along these lines).

There will almost definitely also be weapons that have inherent bonus effects to spells and to healing. Sure, you may be able to adjust stats, but inherent bonuses are, well, inherent.

The other thing that a person in plate armor with a two handed sword tells me is that they probably have average defense against magic - at best.

So, I would summarize that this two handed sword wielding, plate armor wearing person coming at me is either a melee character that is well defended against melee (probably someone that is planning on going after a rogue) but expects to deal out some damage (no shield), but is probably not a caster or healer. If they are a caster or healer, or if they are melee but expect to defend, I will then know that they are probably not going to do all that good of a job.

Or we could have it Ashes way, where that person is actually a bear on a unicycle, but just wearing a plate armor cosmetic.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They are likely removing cosmetics in siege battles to improve client side performance. So there is that. And we'll have to test if the icon by the nameplate is enough. As for gear inspection, I don't want that in the game in the first place.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    hell nah, bro I paid over a thousand dollars in cosmetics over the years every time I pass by I want them to make an animation that locks your camera on me and zoom in for 10 seconds so you can have a good look on my f cosmetics 😂
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Who cares about other players cosmetics especially if those are bought with really money... no-one.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?