Lack of races?

I think a lot of people may think that 5 races is not enough and I wholeheartedly support them. However, I am well aware of the amount of work that comes with the addition of even one race. And therefore, I propose, perhaps a bad one, or maybe not, but still a solution. What if the race can be changed during the game? That is. Imagine the situation, you are playing for an elf and suddenly a strange man in a robe jumps out in front of you. He introduces himself as a wandering dark magician and offers you to help him in exchange for which he will allow you to change the race, like, turn him into a skeleton or a zombie ??? However! This new appearance will not affect the look of the city, animations and so on in any way, since, in essence, you will remain the same as you were.. Hmm, that sounds strange.. You could also solve the problem with a shapeshifting potion or something like that kind? And if you get tired of buying an antidote from any merchant .. I love AoC <3

Comments

• Well there's 2 types of humans, elves, dwarves, and orcs. So it's more than just the 5 but instead 9 with the unknown race.
  • DrPlague wrote: »
    Well there's 2 types of humans, elves, dwarves, and orcs. So it's more than just the 5 but instead 9 with the unknown race.

I don't think it's 9 races... I think there are 5 races. That is Oriks, elves, humans, dunirs and tulnars. At the same time, the orcs, elves, people and dunirs each have 2 nationalities ...
  • AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    SUNSEEEET wrote: »
    DrPlague wrote: »
    Well there's 2 types of humans, elves, dwarves, and orcs. So it's more than just the 5 but instead 9 with the unknown race.

I don't think it's 9 races... I think there are 5 races. That is Oriks, elves, humans, dunirs and tulnars. At the same time, the orcs, elves, people and dunirs each have 2 nationalities ...

There are 8. Kaelar, Vaelune (humans), Py'rai, Emperyean (Elves), Ren'Kai, Vek (Orcs), Dunir, Nikua (dwarves), and then Tulnar making 9.
  • AntVictus wrote: »

There are 8. Kaelar, Vaelune (humans), Py'rai, Emperyean (Elves), Ren'Kai, Vek (Orcs), Dunir, Nikua (dwarves), and then Tulnar making 9.

Okay, whatever you say
  • ShileeShilee Member
    AntVictus wrote: »

Okay, whatever you say

59vl8fyxjxet.png
    2t758os0amwe.png
    Are you really trying to say these are the same race just because they both have the orc classification? Their design is completely different in literally every aspect possible, nothing is similar. Them both being orcs doesn't mean it's the same race.
    ip85fpf98y0y.png
  • NishUKNishUK Member
    Robots, Garden Gnomes, Beerus cats.

The diversity isn't enough I agree :p
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Otr wrote: »
    ... in exchange for which he will allow you to change the race, like, turn him into a skeleton or a zombie ???
    You want to be ugly? Nobody would elect you as mayor or citizens would leave the city!

Would be a massive upgrade to Elf(shudder).

Aside from that hopefully the game never reaches a low that they need to allow race change.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    I'm not sure how you are defining "race"
    I think "scientifically" we would be calling Ren'Kai and Vek different species from a common ancestor.
    Same for Py'Rai and Empyrean.

Just looking at what we have currently, I would be calling Ren'Kai Orcs and Vek Trolls.
    I would be calling Py'Rai Dryads and Empyrean Elves.
    I don't know why the categories or Orc and Elf matter.

If I want to look like a Skeleton or Zombie, there wil probably be a cosmetic for that.
  • edited July 2022
    The amount they have is plenty for now in my opinion. They can always save some things to add post launch to keep the game fresh without having to sell everything as a cosmetic to keep many in their community happy. Adding more races means adding in work in rigging and texturing for the items they wear and equip etc, their animations for abilities for said rig, let alone how the races play an important role in the design of the nodes outcome based on player participation of said node during its stage to stage evolution so they would have a lot more work overall to add which would just push the goal posts further for launch.
  • Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    4 races divided into two sub variants each which look to be more than the usual different skin tones that is common, with a 5th "create your own monstrosity" race, and the overwhelming amount of people will play one of the two human variants. It's fine.
  • palabanapalabana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    9 races is not enough? They look different from each other too.
  • I understand where they are coming from. I come from Pathfinder tabletop game. There are multiple dozen different races you can choose from. If you are not the kind of player that enjoy the vanilla race the usual Elf, Human Dwarves. Here they added a Wood Elves and High Elves and Dark Skin Dwarves and Light Skin, Egyptian/Desert tribe human and Western European faction human and Orc and a sub race of orc and a horned Beastmen race. What if you want to play a Goblin, or a Bird man or a Catfolk or a Vampire or Dhampir (I would love to be able to be a Dhampir). Tiefling are pretty popular too. I understand the strain it would put they don't have to add it at launch but knowing that they would intend to added would go a long way. I don't get playing a fantasy world as a human. I understand to each their fun but to me that is the most dull thing that exist. On the other side I get some people play as themselves so there is that. Anyways I agree You guys may think that the Elves with horn are dryad because of the antlers but they still look like elves. What about Troll and Ogres. As of this moment none of the playable races are appealing to me. Sure you can tell me to move along then and I will. But the game look promising I hope they are successful enough and able to add other less vanilla race.
    I mean... Pathfinder stood on the shoulders of decades of D&D and D20 race designs.
    Vanilla games have to put a limit on what they will include - else the game will never release.
    Vek already look like Trolls.
    If we did not have lore stating that Py'Rai are a type of Elf, I would not consider the current Py'Rai to be Elves.
    Nor would I consider the current Vek to be Orcs.
    Tulnar should provide us with sufficient diverse appearances beyond the other 8 player races.
    Which is plenty for the launch of a brand new game.
  • I understand where they are coming from. I come from Pathfinder tabletop game. There are multiple dozen different races you can choose from.

Were all 20+ races playing together in each game?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • I don't think Intrepid should add any more player races. Time, effort, and resources should be put into creating as much depth as possible for the existing 9. I do think however, there is scope to have NPC "races" (such as the goblins we have seen). Having dungeons and quests make thematic sense goes a long way toward world-building.
  • WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    I don't think Intrepid should add any more player races. Time, effort, and resources should be put into creating as much depth as possible for the existing 9. I do think however, there is scope to have NPC "races" (such as the goblins we have seen). Having dungeons and quests make thematic sense goes a long way toward world-building.

Yep exactly. It's only 9 playable races, but we've already seen others, like the goblins and the birdmen.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Without arguing over the splits and what the count is, Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Orc and Tulnar (so at least 5) is plenty. The very basic I'm seeing is you want more races, but why don't you like the selection available? Which races would you like to see? I'm only phrasing it like this as I'm likely biased as the races I want are already in with Humans and Elves.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
    They mentioned Trolls and Ogres.
  • I feel like what they have proposed will be plenty of options. The 2 Orcs are very different, Plus 3 obvious differences in the Tulnar.

Also, new expansions could introduce other races so more could be added.
  • SUNSEEEET wrote: »

tbh the 2 humans are samies so lets say 1
    The Orks are more like troll and Ork So thats 2
    Drawfs are more like hobit and Dwarfs so thats 2
    Elfs are like highelfs and wood elfs dso thats 2
    Tulnars are like 3 races so far what we seen so lets say 3+ there

• it would be interesting to see more non human or monster races like skeletons and not just the direction they are currently headed with beastfolk and human races, of course i know it takes alot of work to create races, but i also believe more diversity there is more people would be interested in the game since there would be something for everyone.

tl dr - more race diversity and not just human/elf variants

(also not ignoring orcs but hey they are a staple i just believe non human races deserve to be a little expanded upon)
  • I like the idea of more races but should they come before or after release?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Kenku!

Kenku-with-bow.jpg
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • no scope creep on races please lol. I actually want a game, not 100 different races, they can add more after launch. The fact the amount they have now is great and better than most mmorpgs in like a decade.
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    no scope creep on races please lol. I actually want a game, not 100 different races, they can add more after launch. The fact the amount they have now is great and better than most mmorpgs in like a decade.

true true but if they really want to create the new big thing i feel diversity like that is important but we shall see maybe its gonna be great without it.
  • We have enough imo. I am a little upset you can't make tulnar cat girls though.
  • Veeshan wrote: »
    tbh the 2 humans are samies so lets say 1

This is exactly why time and effort should be put into creating depth and texture for the existing PC factions. The Kaelar and Vaelune have the potential to be incredibly different and I feel like we are starting to see those more pronounced differences come to the fore with the Jinn-related lore dropped last dev stream.

• WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    I don't think Intrepid should add any more player races. Time, effort, and resources should be put into creating as much depth as possible for the existing 9. I do think however, there is scope to have NPC "races" (such as the goblins we have seen). Having dungeons and quests make thematic sense goes a long way toward world-building.

THIS!
    I don't really care for having dozens of different races to choose from at character creation. I care more about the detail and effort put into each of these races making them all unique with rich lore, backgrounds and design. What we have currently is MORE THAN ENOUGH.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • All that's left is a short race, something like a halfling or gnome.
  • Iskiab wrote: »
    All that's left is a short race, something like a halfling or gnome.

Or, you know, a dwarf?