Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Is there a Guild - Node relationship?

KDecisionzKDecisionz Member
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
This has been resolved i don't know if i can delete it but for anyone looking in here
Your guild wants to own one of the 5 Castle Nodes and your allies within your Alliance (go figure) benefit from you owning it.
In way of taxes/Buffs/ and other things that are not mentioned.

Thank you And Love you All

Comments

• NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    Check out https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Patron_guilds

Also, you might have to rethink node membership vs guild membership a little. Node membership supersedes guild membership in case of a nodewar for example, so you can be at war with a guild member who lives in a different node. Guilds are important obviously, but the game is really set up to have node citizenship be equally important and somewhat independent of the guild system. So players will defend nodes because being a citizen is important to them, not because of any guild membership.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean... Castle Sieges are fought by guilds and the winning guild controls the Castle for the next month.
    There are 5 Castles and a max of 5 Metros, yes.
    Castles tax the Nodes in their ZOIs, yes.

The wiki referring to Castles as "Guild Castles" might be a bit confusing - especially where newbies might be trying to relate them to Guild Houses.
  • Dygz wrote: »
    I mean... Castle Sieges are fought by guilds and the winning guild controls the Castle for the next month.

Well Guilds with an S and probably 10 Ses who gets the castle?
  • Nerror wrote: »
    Check out https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Patron_guilds

Also, you might have to rethink node membership vs guild membership a little. Node membership supersedes guild membership in case of a nodewar for example, so you can be at war with a guild member who lives in a different node. Guilds are important obviously, but the game is really set up to have node citizenship be equally important and somewhat independent of the guild system. So players will defend nodes because being a citizen is important to them, not because of any guild membership.

node membership supersedes - based on the wiki you link there wouldn't be a reason player was a citizen of a different node because if you are a patron you gain even more bonuses.

I do agree being a citizen is important but being in someone's guild doesn't seem important except to get buffs so you end up not caring for the guild.

Players will defend nodes because being a citizen is important - Well if a metropolis falls that means you can go to a different metropolis do you really care. This is assuming that if a node falls you can get a new citizenship instantly which make sense. Will new content or new gear supersede the Metropolis? If you can get new different buffs in a couple minutes.

i wish i could have voice communication with someone about this because every other step i ask myself why would a member of a guild care and why would a guild leader care. I'm not trying to be negative i just don't see the reason why random people would join lets say my guild and help us do something cause again I don't know what content will be there for guilds. Other than PvP with Caravans and Trade ships cause we ill plunder ALL of them
  • HalaeHalae Member
    KDecisionz wrote: »
    node membership supersedes - based on the wiki you link there wouldn't be a reason player was a citizen of a different node because if you are a patron you gain even more bonuses.

I do agree being a citizen is important but being in someone's guild doesn't seem important except to get buffs so you end up not caring for the guild.
    I think you may be under the misapprehension that guilds are going ton be like they are in WoW or Final Fantasy 14, where they're a social network rather than actually anything important. Player-made factions are going to be incredibly important in Ashes, and reputation will allow you to get away with more. Being part of a guild with a good reputation for specific tasks you want to take part in has the practical consequence of people allowing you or not to take part in a thing; Steven made a great example of this in the most recent livestream with Caravan insurance. Caravan insurance can be bought if you're worried the caravan you hired isn't going to make it to its destination, but if you have a great reputation for completing the caravan journey it won't be necessary, and prevent you from having to pay it out. That's the power of reputation, and reputation can come part and parcel with a guild.
    Players will defend nodes because being a citizen is important - Well if a metropolis falls that means you can go to a different metropolis do you really care. This is assuming that if a node falls you can get a new citizenship instantly which make sense. Will new content or new gear supersede the Metropolis? If you can get new different buffs in a couple minutes.
    This is just wrong. Even leaving aside the fact that getting citizenship in a node doesn't sound like it'll be as easy as snapping your fingers and ending up in a new place, you're forgetting that there's a lot to lose in the transition - material storage, the buildup you've contributed to in this particular place, even your freehold can take damage and be destroyed by an incoming siege, and all of that is extremely valuable and time-intensive. Which, of course, means rebuilding it in another place will be resource and time intensive. This isn't some easy swap over unless you were the next best thing to utterly disconnected from your node in the first place.
    i wish i could have voice communication with someone about this because every other step i ask myself why would a member of a guild care and why would a guild leader care. I'm not trying to be negative i just don't see the reason why random people would join lets say my guild and help us do something cause again I don't know what content will be there for guilds. Other than PvP with Caravans and Trade ships cause we ill plunder ALL of them
    Again, the answer here is a matter of connections and reputation. I've seen guilds in other games run massive events that half a server has taken part in simply because they had the resources and time to spare. I've seen guilds grow utterly reviled because some assholes in the management of those guilds decided to screw over another person. With how interconnected everything is in Ashes, you NEED reputation to be worthwhile, and furthermore guilds give you access to people who can achieve things you can't; say you're a master Tamer, and you want to train the animals you tamed, but you can't do breeding or training for yourself. Do you trek all the way to the auction to sell your animal and buy a new one? Or do you talk to your guildies and let them breed and train you a powerful mount or battle pet? Guilds are networks of options you can ask people for help with
  • KDecisionzKDecisionz Member
    edited July 2022
    Halae wrote: »
    This is just wrong. Even leaving aside the fact that getting citizenship in a node doesn't sound like it'll be as easy as snapping your fingers and ending up in a new place, you're forgetting that there's a lot to lose in the transition - material storage, the buildup you've contributed to in this particular place, even your freehold can take damage and be destroyed by an incoming siege, and all of that is extremely valuable and time-intensive. Which, of course, means rebuilding it in another place will be resource and time intensive. This isn't some easy swap over unless you were the next best thing to utterly disconnected from your node in the first place.
    Smart players will spread there wealth across lands so they don't take big hits and the dumber ones wont and will defend and even the people who spread there wealth may defend, buildup isn't to much of an issue when you relocate because the fall of the node means you can get a new citizenship so it would just take the time to get the new citizenship which we don't know if there will be a quest if its instant what. Only a FEW a SMALL FEW can have a freehold so add 5 people into a 250 roaster. No one is rebuilding because you can relocate at that point and if there is 1 metropolis there for sure 4 more. The issue comes in when you say the words 250 vs 250, people caring about there money in the node wont win a war and no leadership within the war wont win the war against a foe that is coordinated. Its a recipe for stomps to happen. I do think the swap is even harder to swallow if you are the patron of the Metro because you lose twice as much as other in terms of buffs i don't know what else they will have again there's not a lot of clarification.

Halae wrote: »
    Again, the answer here is a matter of connections and reputation. I've seen guilds in other games run massive events that half a server has taken part in simply because they had the resources and time to spare. I've seen guilds grow utterly reviled because some assholes in the management of those guilds decided to screw over another person. With how interconnected everything is in Ashes, you NEED reputation to be worthwhile, and furthermore guilds give you access to people who can achieve things you can't; say you're a master Tamer, and you want to train the animals you tamed, but you can't do breeding or training for yourself. Do you trek all the way to the auction to sell your animal and buy a new one? Or do you talk to your guildies and let them breed and train you a powerful mount or battle pet? Guilds are networks of options you can ask people for help with

I agree and this bottom half is the first biggest argument I've seen for someone caring about a guild using there crafters is a really good incentive. Now the bad most of what you put with reputation and all that doesn't really matter if the "content" you aren't able to participate in is open world because the player can just show up or the guild. I've seen guilds with reputation of being toxic become 1 of the biggest guild so i don't know if this matters but even if it does it has nothing to do with the Node-Guild relationship.

Again to clarify this only has to do with a guild finding meaning in calling a place its home. For anyone who reads these and replying further
  • Otr wrote: »
    It takes time to travel to another metropolis. Buying an apartment might be expensive in a fully developed metropolis.
    Making friends and connections there will also take time.
    I doubt you can play solo very well if your play style is to venture out and fight.

Maybe if you like buying and selling on market, you can play solo. But then, you will want to live in an economic node.
    There can be only 5 metropolises at the same time on the map. If yours is destroyed, the others might not be the same type.

I highly doubt its gonna be expensive since this will be the main way people get player housing, "making friends and connections" well if the guild moves over you got your old friends and youll make new ones its an MMO its about meeting new people. The question I'm purposing is within a Guild-Node relation not a single player.
  • HalaeHalae Member
    Your argument appears to be either "only chumps will actually defend places" or "only chumps will actually invest in places", which is kind of an arrogant take either way, given investing in a given place in-universe is almost literally the main point of the game's systems and structure. The way you gain citizenship in a node is by having housing within that node's zone of influence, so you've either got an apartment, a building within the node, or a freehold on that node's ZoI, so by nature of being a citizen there you HAVE invested in it, if only to have housing and therefore citizenship.

But okay, let's tackle this exclusively from the point of view of a guild as a group. The main purposes of a guild in AoC are as follows:
    1. They facilitate communication between a group of people with aligned interests. This often means resource management (such as the animal husbandry example I presented above, or maybe something like lumber transport) and mutual defense. By putting down roots in a particular node you'll have access to that node's economic power and position in the world, which if you choose the node correctly should directly enhance the reason why your guild came together in the first place.
    2. Guilds in AoC gain access to things that are specifically exclusive to those characters that are part of a guild; the most obvious of this are the castles of course, but being a patron guild of a node unlocks an in-node guild hall that offers unique benefits to the entire guild, as well as participation in the node's stock market (making it even more economically tied to the guild in question). These guild halls will also present exclusive missions and quests to those with access to them.
    3. Reputation. I know you already passed this off as irrelevant, but it matters a lot more in AoC than you appear to be thinking, and is especially relevant to your node. For the reasons I stated above, guilds will want to take part in a node, but if you as a guild are constantly pissing off everyone you come across that means that the people in question have a very specific and vested interest in dismantling your powerbase, and the ability to do so by attacking the place where you've set yourself up as a node patron, denying you access to resources and benefits through attacking the housing and guild hall you've necessarily needed to set up to claim those benefits. On the other hand, if you've made allies of your neighboring surrounds, perhaps through protecting them or through economic benefits or even just schmoozing, they'll be willing to help defend your investments to maintain the benefits they gain from your presence in the region.
    edited July 2022
    It’s not that few people will get a Freehold.
    Rather it takes some time and work to earn a Freehold.

Guilds will want to own Castles because of the perks owning a Castle provides for the guild.

Other perks come from being a citizen of a Node. And, you defend a Node if you wish to maintain those perks.
    There’s also world benefits from having a specific type of Metro, so if you want those perks, you’ll defend a City or Metro even if you aren’t a citizen.

Maintaining your storage is more icing than cake.
  • HalaeHalae Member
    edited July 2022
    Oh, that's another thing I neglected to mention; metropoli have different node types, and they don't autobalance to have a decent spread of said different node types. It's entirely possible for there to be four military metropoli and one scientific metropolis, and if you abandon the scientific one you're completely screwed out of getting onto another scientific metropolis. They aren't interchangable.
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited July 2022
    Not everyone will settle within the same areas, be it by preference of biome, vistas, or the simple prideful instinct of "this is were we first came and started building. This is our home, and everyone else must die."

Also, there is no guarantees that the Node that reaches Metropolis level will be the type of node which you and your friends and guildmates wish to have developed. Perhaps you want a Military Node to reach Metropolis level for the benefits it provides to your guild. But someone else already leveled their Economic Node to that level.
    Thus you find yourself in the need to destroy that metropolis, in order for your own home node to level up.

Also, large guilds and alliances will want certain nodes to rise and fall, to open new areas, dungeons and raids.

Guilds and alliances that choose to spec into size, will have the numbers advantage in the mayoral races for every type of Node. They in trun might get benefits from having one of their players be i charge and taxing the Node, to later redistribute the wealth with the Guild coffers.

If you've spent tons of time and money on a freehold, a Guild Hall, a house or an apartment in the Node etc, you'll be wanting to defend it. And don't act like you wouldn't.

At the same time, with no fast travel available, spreading your material stocks through multiple Nodes may not be entirely efficient and will be exposing you to losses as Caravans are subject to attacks.

So the guilds will in fact be very involved in Nodes and how they develop or fall.
    Sig-ult-2.png
    edited July 2022
    Dygz wrote: »

Well Guilds with an S and probably 10 Ses who gets the castle?
    No? Only one guild wins the Castle that is being sieged.

1: When we begin the game, the 5 Castles are owned by The Ancients.
    2: F or each Castle, we will have to kick The Ancients out and one guild will own the Castle for one month.
    3: Theoretically, there could be a server where the Ancients never get kicked out.
    4: Theoretically, there could be a server where only one Castle is owned by a guild and the other 4 are always occupied by NPCs.
    5: So "Guild Castle" is a bit misleading. It's really just a Castle. Yes, a Castle is something that guilds combat each other to acquire, but...
    6: Only one guild at a time can win the Siege for a specific Castle. And that guild holds the Castle for one month. Then another Siege occurs and they have to hope they win again to maintain ownership. The Monarch will hope to win again so they can keep their Castle perks, like a Flying Mount for the Monarch of the Castle.

So... I don't know what you mean by 10 Ses...
    Are you trying to say that over the course of a year 10 different guilds might own the same Castle?
    That is possible, yes.

Easily possible that within a year, among the 5 Castles, 10 different guilds could have had a Monarch. Yes.