Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Viability of Single Race Guilds?

I’m not recruiting or trying to join a guild, just curious to see what everyone else thinks and theorize…

How viable do you think single race guilds will be? Could one become a top guild in a server?

Considering that different races have different base stats, I get a feeling that the stronger guilds will be mixed (min maxer guilds).

Personally, I like the idea of single race guilds. Especially considering how race affects the world/node development. Makes a bit more sense from a rp perspective. But if I were to be in a guild, I would also want it to be strong and be able to have good node control.

I also wonder how strong alliances can be. I got chills down my spine when the elves in “Lord of the Rings” came to aid the humans. I can imagine such a scene happening in Ashes of Creation.

What do you all think? And how many here also prefer single race guilds?

Comments

• Options
    Added note: it might also be interesting if different races were stronger in their native biome
  • Options
    I actually want to create an all human guild where everyone has to RP as Warhammer 40k space marines and KoS anything not human or dwarven(squats) with extreme prejudice :D
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes combat is balanced around an 8-person group with one of each Primary Archetype.
    Ashes is not balanced to have one of each race in an 8-person group.

A Guild comprised of all x/Tanks is icing on the cake.
    A Guild comprised of all Vek is icing on the cake.
    That's inherently enhancing the RP for that server.

There is racial progression to help with stats. Any class can wear any gear. Any class can wield any weapon.
    There are perks and augments from Social Orgs and Religions and Node Types.
    There are Guild perks. And I would expect racial progression to be included in Guild perks for players who wish to pursue racial progression in their Guilds.

I expect the strongest guilds to ensure their groups have one of each Primary Archetype.
    After that... it's just about how good you are at stacking the benefits you derive from class, gear, weapons, Passive Skills, Active Skills, Weapon Skills, augments... and synergizing your abilities with the abilities of the other members of your group.
    You just have to be good enough to be successful at the stuff you like to do.

It will proably be more common to get chills when the Guilds led by a Monarch or Mayor appear on the scene.
    And, yes, it's possible that a Monarch or Mayor could be leading a Guild comprised of just one race.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Judeth wrote: »
    Added note: it might also be interesting if different races were stronger in their native biome
    I think not really because it's been millennia since the Ashes players races have been away from Verra.
    There will be ruins and relics that reflect the native regions of the parent races, but...

None of the player races are the parent races.
    And we don't know that any of the current Verra biomes reflect the ancient Verra biomes.
    Also, the current Verra biomes may not reflect the Sanctus biomes where the player races evolved.

We'll have to see how similar current Verra biomes are to the current biomes of Sanctus.
    That's the correlation where we can expect to see racial strengths maximized.

Well, I guess I was assuming native biome referred to ancient Verra.
    If native biome refers to current Sanctus, then, yeah... where races can find a similar biome on Verra, we can expect to see racial strengths maximized... but, that might not be in the same locations on Verra where their ancestors lived..
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

This might be done by mob density design anyway, rather than by specific statistics.

Mob types in an area favors X stat or style of fighting them, very slightly, or use primarily a specific detrimental status that is naturally resisted by some race.

This would achieve 'naturally stronger' in the ecological way, (and avoid all those complaints about how Race A is stronger in PvP when standing on a riverbank).

"If a non-Empyrean falls in a forest and only I was there to hear it, did they really make a sound?"
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    How viable do you think single race guilds will be? Could one become a top guild in a server?

It entirely depends on how you define viability. Can it sustainably exist? Sure, but as with any guild I think it depends on the players. Can they be a top guild? Sure, but also depends on the players.

As @Dygz mentioned, a single race guild is largely a matter of RP, not functional performance.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Setting artificial restrictions on yourself will always hurt your efficiency.

So no, they can't really be viable in the sense that they are as good as guilds that actually benefit from decent racial perks.

Its your decision whether thos trade off in efficiency is worth it. How big the trade offs are will probably be seen in A2. I'd wait and see till then
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ultimately, there are only two questions:

1. Are there going be enough top level Empyrean (if you prefer) players to form a guild out of?

This is almost assuredly true. If there aren't, it more so implies that there will have to be less top guilds than there are races, simply for lack of players. Improbable.

2. Is the game going to be balanced so that there is no valid strategy that doesn't require varied racial perks?

Honestly? We don't technically know, but as far as I'm aware, Intrepid has never mentioned that this was one of their goals or principles. They talk often about requiring a balance of archetypes, but never about requiring a balance of races. Without this, there's no guarantee that there will be a trade-off or limitation on efficiency at all. Only limitations on style. There will probably be styles of play that don't work as well without a mix of races, but if they aren't designing to force it, odds are you'll still have some style available. Then you just need to recruit people who are interested in that style of play, just like any other guild.

So... technically...

3. Are there enough players interested in joining such a guild?

Well... that's honestly more so up to you. There are going to be a lot of players on the server. And hopefully enough top players that we can get quite a few high-level guilds. Can yours be one of them? Probably. I doubt there so few people that will at least go along with the idea, that you'd find it impossible to recruit them (or at least convince them to try it), if you had everything else in line.

Would it be harder to set up? Probably. But it's unlikely to be impossible.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think it is an interesting concept and I hope to see it in the game.

In L2, my guild had other guilds for our alts and one of them was a dwarf only guild. It didn't try to be a major guild, just a fun one. It really was a hoot to see a swarm of dwarves fighting and spoiling orcs, other players would watch and laugh. (Spoiling is something I miss and wish was in AoC. Dwarves could be spoilers or crafters. Spoilers would cast 'spoil' on mobs prior to killing and that could greatly increase the drops from the mob as well as yield rare materials.)

I have heard of a number of people who plan on having Tulnar only guilds. I think it would be quite interesting to have orc, human &tc. other guilds as well.

We have heard talk of mercenary guilds, so I expect those to form. But why not single race mercenary guilds? Crafting guilds are likely, or perhaps guilds of thieves. Or guilds centered around a single religion? All of which could be single race, or exclude Tulnars or Orcs.... Yes, excellent idea and I hope it manifests itself, though the unofficial Role Playing server is most likely to see it.
  • Options
    Now imagine an entire server where every guild was locked to the leaders race. That'd be some interesting improvised factions hahaha
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Master Gatherers can Spoil in Ashes.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Thank you, @Dygz , found it in the wiki. That made my evening and determined the fate of one of my alts.
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    All guilds need diversity and represantation of every race or they are racist
    Izil.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Nodes are more racist than racial Guilds.

My Guild is going to be...Bardist.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    Dygz wrote: »

That is a level of horniness too high for reality
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

This sounds like that weird cult of folks that tried to ban hard rock in the 90s.

Is one of your alts Tipper Gore?? 🤣
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    BarabBarab Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've been in a single race guild for three decades. It has been a challenge in past MMOs competing vs ARAC guilds but the reward from overcoming such challenges in any given MMO is more fulfilling in my opinion. We have had our successes.

AoC, without going into much detail, I feel, has laid down the base mechanics to level the playing ground between ARAC and more racial themed guilds.
    The Dünir Hold Mithril Warhammers,Thanes of the Keelhaul, Dünir scourge of the oceans, Warhammer First Fleet Command of The Dünzenkell Nation, friends to the Dünir Dwarves of the Dünhold.Hammers High!
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited October 2022
    Dolyem wrote: »
    I actually want to create an all human guild where everyone has to RP as Warhammer 40k space marines and KoS anything not human or dwarven(squats) with extreme prejudice :D

I kinda wanna see a RP tulnar guild that see every returning to verra as invaders and kill them on sight without prejudice :P

as for the question i dont see why u couldnt have a guild of a single race, since any race can be any class although racial may make some slightly stronger than other but probaly not very noticable but we wont know til we see racial tree's
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    It depends on your guild's goals. I've seen <class> only guilds and <race only> guilds work really well. But their goal was specific RP scenarios and scenes. If you have other plans, such as PvE/PvP, it'll work, but you're also limiting yourself in terms of recruitment.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    I think it could work, I've been wondering how the game will play out.

I got the impression that different races will start in different areas. If that's true it would make sense for people to start forming guilds when people start grouping up.
  • Options
    worddogworddog Member
    edited October 2022
    I’m not recruiting or trying to join a guild, just curious to see what everyone else thinks and theorize…

Considering that different races have different base stats, I get a feeling that the stronger guilds will be mixed (min maxer guilds).

Personally, I like the idea of single race guilds. Especially considering how race affects the world/node development. Makes a bit more sense from a rp perspective. But if I were to be in a guild, I would also want it to be strong and be able to have good node control.

I also wonder how strong alliances can be. I got chills down my spine when the elves in “Lord of the Rings” came to aid the humans. I can imagine such a scene happening in Ashes of Creation.

What do you all think? And how many here also prefer single race guilds?

That is definitely viable. Races are not going to be as important as archetype or gear. Now you'll definitely have some classes which will be pretty bad, but other than those specific classes you should be fine.

Also I believe each race has two sub races so if you are willing to use both you'll open up a lot more viability.