Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

NEW World Map! Images Included!

2»

Comments

• Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    Apparently continents will take 50 minutes to cross while mounted.

Personally I think that this is the perfect map size and I love this change. This world needs to feel large enough for "nations" and their capitals to develop, for trade between them to feel consequential, and for offensive movement against one another to be deliberate and decisive.

A lot of reasons I think this will benefit the game and I, as well as Intrepid I'm sure, can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

50 minutes to ride north to south on one of these continents, not even the time to cross the ocean east to west which is probably significantly more.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    Goalid wrote: »
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    Apparently continents will take 50 minutes to cross while mounted.

Personally I think that this is the perfect map size and I love this change. This world needs to feel large enough for "nations" and their capitals to develop, for trade between them to feel consequential, and for offensive movement against one another to be deliberate and decisive.

A lot of reasons I think this will benefit the game and I, as well as Intrepid I'm sure, can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

50 minutes to ride north to south on one of these continents, not even the time to cross the ocean east to west which is probably significantly more.

From the easternmost point of the western continent, to the easternmost point of the western continent, it's likely to be 20 minutes at the most. From there proceed on land you've crossed the western continent in probably 20 minutes at most.

I still don't feel like it's that long to cross an entire MMO world, especially without loading screens in between areas to artificially inflate the time it takes.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    From previous discussions with the old map size in mind, it became apparent that the map size would probably feel small, a bigger map is always better. I like the fact that now the continents are further apart, which makes ships a lot more important.

One worry I have, however, is that the larger the map, the more "meta" Scientific nodes and their Metropolis superpower become. I hope that the other node types' superpowers are on par with the fast and faster travel of Scientific nodes, or else there might not be enough motivation to level focus on anything other than those types of Nodes.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    Alpha 2 be bottom half of left map, seeing they said earlier in stream the main 3 biome we will have are riverlands, dessert and forest with a bit of badlands so seem to be half of the left continent.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »

Does anyone else feel like this is a bit too close to scope creep territory?

No it doesn't feel like scope creep
    They are just making more room for what they have .
    It's like taking a dungeon and making the rooms bigger and the halls longer because the first design felt cramped
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Verra is a globe with a 21 degree axial tilt ;)

doyklgmff3t9.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    mobtek wrote: »
    Verra is a globe with a 21 degree axial tilt ;)

doyklgmff3t9.gif

I was actually discussing with my beloved whether it was retrograde.

Is the sun gonna rise in the West and set in the East in Verra in order to make the circulation cells make sense according to the map shown?

Meteorology/astrophysics nerds weigh in. Film at 11.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    The lake in the middle of Elyrium (Right island) i think should be connected to the ocean via river that goes of to the east for trade boat access (Probaly only small trade boats) but the middle of that entire continent is quite far from any open ocean compared to the other islands/continents.
    This would give the central biome and east of Frostthorn fell access to the ocean via river (A dangerous river to take a boat up but it there as an option)
  • Options
    Here's the other way, more earth like :)
    314fa646grx2.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    mobtek wrote: »
    Here's the other way, more earth like :)
    314fa646grx2.gif

Yeah but my immersion...

On the other hand, (in case anyone thought I was joking), the Sun and Moon rise in the west and set in the east in BDO and it drives me crazy.

I know why they did it, I think, but I'm actually kinda hoping Ashes doesn't. With this map though, particularly now that I've seen your models (thanks, they're perfect), and the fact that there was no day-night cycle in Alpha-1 to confirm it either way, this may very realistically be a thing again.

Stuck between 'being annoyed at navigation' and 'being annoyed at navigation the other way' won't be fun if this is seriously considered/intentional and they base the wind and currents on it for sailing.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    @Azherae
    eheh took like 5 mins with an online tool, I'm sure someone with more patience than me could finesse it more, this was quick and dirty hehe
    and in this you can see why you cannot as yet circumnavigate verra by ship, there's a huge buttcrack in the middle of that ocean that swallows ships ;)
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    -T0Mb- wrote: »
    NiKr wrote: »
    See, you're thinking about it too hard. I choose The Frostgrave Fells because I like mountains and winter XD
    BUT BOTH HAVE THOSE!!@$!@4

Sujoma is basically just Iceland but with a Finnish name. Few mountains, sorta snowy. Less epic name.

Frostgrave Fells? Many mountains. Much cool. Such snow. Epic name. And you don't have to take a ship to everywhere.

As a Finnish person I can say that Sujoma doesn't mean anything in Finnish but it resembles with Finland's Finnish name Suomi. :D

Yeah that's why I correlated the two. Would have been to odd to name ti Suoma or Pohjola or something like that. Although we could have had some witch and her beautiful daughters as raid bosses lol

I would love that idea to have a raid against a great witch of the north like in Finnish epic called Kalevala! B)

Pohjola was the land where the witch Louhi (Pohjan akka) ruled and Suoma is an old Finnish woman name. :)
  • Options
    Bigger world is music to my ears.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Map geography changes look fine to me, decreasing the amount of nodes was a good change too, some more smaller islands would also be nice. Not 100% on how I feel about the map size change though. I guess my main worry is how much this will increase partying up times, not so much for myself but the health of the game overall. Hard to say with Alpha 1 being all we've had so far so I guess we'll see the next time we get our hands on it.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah...Alpha 1 gives no indication for how easy it will be to form groups since we didn't have open world housing.
  • Options
    BlipBlip Member
    hju8q6f1jm43.jpg
    Here is a better rez version