Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Environmental class-skills

Ace1234Ace1234 Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
Opinion

I think it would be a great addition to the combat if there were contextual skills based on the using environmental terrain/weather conditions to your advantage. I've seen similar takes on the idea but i think a simplified version could be easier to implement and impactful to a variety of gameplay systems.

This would add so much depth and strategy to combat, class usage, and world navigation, because the seasons and route you take when traveling the world would potentially affect your combat capabilties. Overall it would further reward resourcefulness and situational/environmental awareness.

Idea

I think this could be done by
A) Using class utility skills as a means of providing an environment based ability
B)having inventory slots dedicated to types of combat usable inventory items

Utility skill

This could either be something that can only be done to intitiate a battle, to reward strategic preparation, or it could be an active skill during combat based on different environmental conditions.

This could mean giving certain classes a utility skill they can use on certain types of terrain or in certain types of weather, be it a trap door, a high-ground based jump attack, a stealth mechanic, an elemental attack, a speed move, etc.

Combat usable Inventory item

There could also be the same type of approach done with inventory items where it could either be something that can only be done to intitiate a battle, to reward strategic preparation, or it could be an active skill during combat based on different environmental conditions. There could be a limited amount of combat item slots, or limited usages for inventory items that can be used in combat, for balance purposes.

This could be something like a grapple hook, where you can use to access an area to flee/chase during battle or to gain positional advantage.

Balance

These skills or items could also be balanced by making sure there is offensive and defensive counter-play, as well as ensuring everyone has equal opportunity to earn and use them- through providing relevant circumstances that all the skills/items have the potential to be strategically utilized by all players- or where none can be utilized to also be a way of leveling the playing field.

Comments

• Options
    I'd like stealth mechanic.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I think such skills should be reserved for mages. Setting an area aflame, freezing it, tidal waves, calling down random lightnings in a cloudy weather.

But if you include falling from high places, then a sparta kick should be reserved for tanks fighters and rangers.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2022
    Strevi wrote: »

Yes. Some spots in forests (thick bushes) or shadowy/dark areas (crack on a cave wall) could hide the nameplate of rogues.
  • Options
    I don’t think I like the idea of abilities that are only available in set weather/environments.
    I’m happy with what I think is planned, which is some skills/abilities can change slightly depending on the weather/climate.
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »

Yes. Some spots in forests (thick bushes) or shadowy/dark areas (crack on a cave wall) could hide the nameplate of rogues.

I'd rather graphics be changed such that nameplates practically aren't required to notice someone and figure out what they look like; then have bushes, dust, and dark areas obscure people pretty well.
    nameplates remove opportunity; if you had to give your nameplate and it only pops up when you can see their face well enough it would be a lot neater.
  • Options
    I think such skills should be reserved for mages. Setting an area aflame, freezing it, tidal waves, calling down random lightnings in a cloudy weather.

But if you include falling from high places, then a sparta kick should be reserved for tanks fighters and rangers.

Yea id love this- sounds amazing, or like a pounce ability from high areas for the more nimble classes to attack from above