Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Acceleration/ Deceleration. Improves Precision

SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
You can't adjust your range when closing in or backing out when you always teleport 50 pixels every key press and there's a 200 ms delay with moving enemies (also without acceleration and deceleration with animations not affecting movement) around.

Add acceleration/ deceleration and give characters a moveset, with small movement adjustments to their character rather than be empty glittery effects.

Auto-attack on 1 . . stand in place and swing.
2 - - step forward thrust then step back to where you were.
3 4 5 6 7 whatever - - other stuff

Direction key + Shift button - - position shift which is just a step in a direction or larger stride when running.
Based on character's current speed; hence hitting a direction key and shift will make a small and quick step in that direction. Should affect speed in sync with animation; This should be repeatable and I hope your engineers can program it to affect animation rather than some animation reset. I guess you could have more or less dramatic movement animations for everything.
Cutting up movement to a few parts and having some independence with "equal opposite" effects to opposing sides of the char model and speed/ direction variables to manipulate is not new tech or knowledge.

Instead of a button having something like step thrust step back; you can program attacks to happen in context of the "shift" step.

If the shift at least looks OK then whatever.

Comments

• Options
    I really don't feel like spending another several hours arguing about something so ill just keep it brief as possible.

Movement is options, options is strategic depth and skill expression, player agency creates more depth than player limitation. Same points made as the exhaustion thread. Same concept. There is going to be a trend of this because of our differing philosphies.

This isn't neccessarily a "bad" idea, it can be good and fun and require skill, just not as much as if you were to maximize player agency imo.
  • Options
    teleporting decreases control and responsiveness so you must rely on predicting another entity's inputs or have really sticky exaggerated range on weapons and abilities.
    stop talking the way you do it's obnoxious.
    I'm for positional adjustment and control of range (moving in and out of range).

return to your head
  • Options
    The benefits you mention are not exclusive to this feature. Player agency enhances those benefits to a greater extent.
  • Options
    what benefits. what feature.
  • Options
    The benefits of predicting, precision, positioning are not exclusive to the acceleration/deceleration feature. Those benefits are even moreso relevant in a system with more options through more agency
  • Options
    What. What benefit. The problem is there is no acceleration and you can't actually predict what someone will do because they teleport 150 px or whatever every time they hit the key instead of ramping up speed.
    Ya can't 'adjust' with this constant speed player movement and getting in range is also clunky af from it.

what are you even talking about
  • Options
    @Sapiverenus
    Maybe I am misinterpreting your position. Are you suggesting more of a back end programming type thing for the connection concerns, or are you referring to the gameplay design revolving around decelerating/accelerating in the characters' movements?
  • Options
    @Ace1234
    There needs to be the game design of acceleration/deceleration to character movement. In other words inertia.
    As for back end they can do optimizations if server is bogged down but that's not what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited September 2022
    Well from a character control perspective I agree fully- but I don't think it should neccessarily sacrifice movement speed - and whether faster/slower movement is better is kinda arbitrary because whats best depends on the role movement plays within the combat system and how it is balanced. Generally I think faster pacing and subsequently fast responsive movements is better, so if you can do micro-spacing adjustments for maximum character control while still having fast movements then I think that would be ideal.
  • Options
    yeah.
    also rogue moves with less inertia and at faster max speed. Strength determines how encumberance & equipment affects speed. tank moves high inertia slightly lower speed but less affected by encumberance I guess as a class bonus. spellcasters not good at running because they lack strength stam agi.
    Well just make it stat based rather than class based. Class already gets certain stats every level.
    ez design
    Q.E.D.
    @Ace1234
  • Options
    @Sapiverenus
    Yea stat based would be best probably- that way it can be universal so you can decide to spec into it. That kind of control is important for everyone to have unless you plan on balancing things out in other ways
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @Ace1234

Stat scaling is based on class but some agi/ str/ stam is always good.
    Not sure how one would go about getting it; I would just have 'training' exist that one can do up to some daily weekly monthly max with soft locks on stuff outside your class' perview and fun obstacles to byway character growth.
    Some off-class training as quality of life but otherwise too sweaty lifer for most people to push any further.

I can imagine a fighter or mage both doing physical toughening and stamina training where a dude punches them in the gut for a period of time and switches to hitting the arms. . . hitting the back. . . hitting legs. . . hitting the head; using whatever martial methods exist in the real world like Kyokushin karate.

not that effective for the bookie mage but still works at some rate. Fighter is hardcore and can do the training for longer and with greater intensity [progression].

As a 3 - 15 minute a day thing it's just a bit of progression people can do that looks cool feels thematic. Spam click SHIFT and some inputs during stuff and get double the amount of progression. Sweat & Tears.
    Have training options for solo when out in the woods. Why not. You're trecking and need to train.
    Could make it 1 minute of effective progress for Mage daily and 10 minutes of effective progress for Fighter daily but 3 - 15m seems good. Past that have a hard soft-lock and make Shift spam necessary for getting past the pain of soreness at the start of your next login lol; login, character sorely gets up from laying down. . . oh shit spam Shift you can't get up lol. Do warmups so you don't have to spam Shift all the time. Maybe avoid going into soft-lock territory next time.
    After the first time players just avoid going past the 3 - 15 minutes if they hate Shift spam.

I'd play it.
  • Options
    Class+gear+race+tattoo system im pretty sure are all stat contributers, so there is a bit of room for stat management outside of your class as far as I know
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    softlock is life

actually, having softlocks that last a while then go away for a while would be good. So do 15m of training then softlocked for 15 minutes then normal progress for 3 minutes then softlock for 6 minutes and repeat that 3x total then just a softlock.

A lot could be done

EDIT:
    To be clear the Minutes is a bit arbitrary; it means Sustained Minutes rather than some timer.

15m no lock; 5 minute softlock; 10 m no lock; 10m softlock; 5m no lock; 15m softlock; then going down 4/16, 3/17, 2/18, [finally 1/19 repeating]x4; finally just a very hard softlock until a 4 hour period in a 24 hour cycle where it's hardlock.
    With this the first hour of some Attribute intensive activity nets the most results. The rest is sweaty grinding.
    I'm just trying to think of a way that people that play for 1 hour will still have a comparable experience to those that play 2 - 3 hours; and be able to participate in content with people that play 3 - 7 hours.
    That 1 hour they're on should be a sigh of relieve for those that play up to 7 hours. Those playing 8+ hours a day may find their contribution trivial but need the cooperation or help of those playing 2 - 3 hours a day.

None of this completely factors in the Shift Spam for Higher Intensity or Exhaustion idea and the numbers would need to be reworked and number of 'tiers' of player [which exist from the way power scaling and demand works] be reworked over time.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    this way people who want to put in 15 minutes get most of the progress and others can grind to the hour if they really want double progress.
    Ratio could be anything so whatever works best; might be rather class specific. Fighters boil down to hitting stuff so getting XP from training should appeal.
    Other classes want to do other things that are more mechanically interesting so they can get progress through other ways.
    Mining of course can be physical so perhaps XP from mining and training is shared; and so is the softlock
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Game needs the Exhaustion I detailed though lol would make the grind more interesting when you Mine for 2 minutes then drop to spam Shift for the stat growth.
    It just fits. Gotta uptick exhaustion to get the most XP.
  • Options
    Balancing progression and combat effectiveness is interesting; do you grind or get shit done? Preparing for the fight or fighting? Gotta stay fresh and not pre-exhaust yourself if you don't want to die.
    Die and lose your gear! No rez for a long ass time and probably some negative stuff is involved!
    or design the game to not be easy mode when you hit max level/ higher level. Maybe it's about skill and coordination with your team, preparing for the battle, and tackling local problems as they pop up and find you or go after the 'node'.
  • Options
    You do your 15m progress. . . have high exhaustion . . . want to go explore and do some crap but gotta wait 20 minutes if you don't want to die because you have no food, no herbal recovery drinks, and the cleric doesn't want to help you because removing your exhaustion adds to his and that would mess up his profession grind or some crap.
    Damn.
    You walk away and come back 10 minutes later from doing other stuff to see shit raiding. You try and play it smart but end up running. Cleric winds up dead. Node is getting wiped.
    Everyone in the area is dealing with the aggressors moving through; players and NPCs are running to the other node.

Territory lost.
    Game needs frequent territory loss/threat. Managing the grind and combat readiness becomes a lot more interesting then too.
  • Options
    Imagine a node letting you exist because you stand between them and the NPC/ Coin raiders that frequently attack from their area of influence. . . imagine they think they're strong enough and attack you while the NPCs/ Monster Coin shit goes down lol only to find out the raid doesn't stop and it wipes both nodes at once.