Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Give me RP servers or give me death. Or no global chat to combat spam.

Comments

• Options
    Taaku wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Because you dont want to use global chat is not a reason to not have global chat. This is what you dont understand as a solo player, you are hurting other guilds but reducing peoples ways of interacting.

This is where you are mistaken. By not having a global chat this forces people to interact more with the people around them. They receive less passive information from people asking questions in global chat, so if they have a question they need to stop someone and ask them. Without a global chat people won't be able to ask for price checks across the world, they would have to ask a specific trader if he made a run of say timber from point A to point B and what the profits were like.

The reason simply having global chat and turning it off doesn't work is because for the people that turn it off and want a more grounded community and close knit feel, whenever they try stopping people and asking a question. People don't respond because they are looked at as stupid for not using global chat. We are trying to build a better community in a game so the game doesn't suck.

Also i don't get yer argument as before you were saying it's a boon for big guilds to not have global chat... but now yer saying it's now hurting guilds not having a global chat?... soooo i dunno what you are trying to say.

And yes all these issues can be overcome by simply using discord. Which IMO kinda sucks. And by the sounds of it will honestly give you an advantage. But for the people that want to play a game to you know... actually enjoy a game, and live in a game world and be immersed. Sorry but no global chat is the way to go. Especially for the long term health of a game of this type.

All this stuff you are bringing up won't change anything and simply have people using discord chat more than in game chat. This isn't the 2000's times are different. This sentiment of old days where everything is a mystery and you can only talk to certain people is long dead.

There will simply be a discord price check instead people will make, people will use discord for communication over in game for doing all those things when people make a discord for their server.

You aren't getting a more tight knit community, you are simply making it difficult to actually talk to people and connect in game and forcing people to simply use discord more instead. You are removing the community part out by reducing the people they can reach and actually forming those communities.

People are not looked at stupid for not using global chat, when i play mmorpgs I use all forms of chat based on what is needed.

You don't get it because you haven't run guilds before. If you are jumping in a game and you have a mega guild you have a community that all uses discord. That communication is a huge advantage against any other guild. If I were to jump onto AoC with a 200 man guild with everyone communicating we would have a much easier time staying on top. Compared to some guild trying to recruit people and finding the game making it hard to actively advertise themselves reducing time they spend on the game to have to run around or sit in city and spam there.

It doesn't suck this is a mmo and a social game, this isn't real life using RP reasons to make the experience more difficult for the sake of rp is silly. Discord solves any issue and people will simply use that more and be taken away from the game interface for no reason.

If you are suggesting these kinds of things without understanding running a guild, you being a solo player, someone that will refuse to join guilds, a bit anti social...you are simply suggesting this out of selfishness wanting these kinds of anti social tendencies to be forced on people. Over giving people a choice on what they want to do.

"I'm not going to use it so i don't want other people to use it" is like 50% of arguments i see. The other 10% is simply wanting less spam which there are easily solutions for that. And last bit of percent is thinking people can't gain information they want from discords.

There should always be a point where people can ask questions and communicate period. Not only when they are sitting in town, but when they are out adventuring. Else you can simply use the same logic for guild chat and say they can only talk when they are near each other...
  • Options
    SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    /whisper 1 yard /low 3 yards /say 6 yards /loud 12 yards /shout 30 yards.
    Nuanced: chat window only pops up dialogue that is well within range. Range of each of these can be increased and everything on the fringe of the range (last 20% or so) can be a chat bubble with a small color indicator and sound effect (like a coloration on the left or both sides if it's behind a person) that indicates someone is /whisper (purple), /low (blue), /say (green), /loud (yellow), /shout (orange) at end-range in a direction.
    Slightly outside of range you can see the small chat text bubble but text is small at that range, and the bubble translucent.

And the mage crafting telecommunicator I suggest.

For voice chat some sort of modulation so it generally fits text range.
  • Options
    No global chat, but guild chat is global imo
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    Scarbeus wrote: »

Exactly, I thought this is a mmorpg not a survival game and people want limits on communication one person even says eh doesn't even plan on playing with people or joining a guild at the very least. This should show where the mind set is coming from.

Literarily no reason for there not to be global chat. Now if there are limits on how much you can talk in it that is fine.
  • Options
    When Sapiverenus is suggesting this as well, some of you guys should know you know you messed up lmao
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Oh! Scrolling words. They type in at a certain speed lol.
    /say.slow -> 3 char per second; /say -> 5 char per second /say.fast -> 8 char per second.

Limit number of shout chars per minute to 80 or something.
    Have new messages stop the previous from finishing.

Actually there should be base speed and a speed boost when using a series of consanants, like 50% speed boost.
    With that in mind, 8 chars per second too fast lol. 3/5/6.5 chars per second.

Well 3/5/8 might be ok. 50% speed boost when consanants are together, space processed as a char. . . should be fine.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    When Sapiverenus is suggesting this as well, some of you guys should know you know you messed up lmao

well a mage telecommunicator can have different ranges.
    Large bulky long distance comms can be available at the same time as small shorter distance comms.
    For cross-continent comms the node could have a building it can build.
    Difficult top level rich people bulky comms could exist that can comm cross-continent, and top level rich handheld comms could exist that are whole-continent.

To elaborate further. . . you could need to build something at your homestead, set up a telescope and get to a high point in the region to capture the signal [with low and higher level version], have to "grab the signal" then send a limited message with a delay. . .
    There could be all sorts of neat constraints to long distance comms.

Low to mid level comms especially could require you point something in the right direction.
  • Options
    You don't get it because you haven't run guilds before. If you are jumping in a game and you have a mega guild you have a community that all uses discord. That communication is a huge advantage against any other guild. If I were to jump onto AoC with a 200 man guild with everyone communicating we would have a much easier time staying on top. Compared to some guild trying to recruit people and finding the game making it hard to actively advertise themselves reducing time they spend on the game to have to run around or sit in city and spam there.

It doesn't suck this is a mmo and a social game, this isn't real life using RP reasons to make the experience more difficult for the sake of rp is silly. Discord solves any issue and people will simply use that more and be taken away from the game interface for no reason.

If you are suggesting these kinds of things without understanding running a guild, you being a solo player, someone that will refuse to join guilds, a bit anti social...you are simply suggesting this out of selfishness wanting these kinds of anti social tendencies to be forced on people. Over giving people a choice on what they want to do.

"I'm not going to use it so i don't want other people to use it" is like 50% of arguments i see. The other 10% is simply wanting less spam which there are easily solutions for that. And last bit of percent is thinking people can't gain information they want from discords.

There should always be a point where people can ask questions and communicate period. Not only when they are sitting in town, but when they are out adventuring. Else you can simply use the same logic for guild chat and say they can only talk when they are near each other...

See... problem is you assume too much. I have run guilds before. I'm not anti social I only said I currently don't have plans to start playing day 1 with anyone. Doesn't mean i'm a solo player, or i'm never going to join a guild.
    Quite frankly you've just been wrong about like everything you've said. I've also never even brought up RPing...

I quite frankly don't see why you seem so upset over this since it seems you are going to be running a guild, which will require a discord anyways. You know alt+tab is a thing right? Or maybe get like a second monitor? Or really if you seem so upset about using discord maybe just don't run a guild... it seems like it's stressing you out.

Anyways i'm just gunna have to agree to disagree with you because it seems like we just won't agree. And this discussion it's going anywhere. Best wishes! <3
  • Options

See... problem is you assume too much. I have run guilds before. I'm not anti social I only said I currently don't have plans to start playing day 1 with anyone. Doesn't mean i'm a solo player, or i'm never going to join a guild.
    Quite frankly you've just been wrong about like everything you've said. I've also never even brought up RPing...

I quite frankly don't see why you seem so upset over this since it seems you are going to be running a guild, which will require a discord anyways. You know alt+tab is a thing right? Or maybe get like a second monitor? Or really if you seem so upset about using discord maybe just don't run a guild... it seems like it's stressing you out.

Anyways i'm just gunna have to agree to disagree with you because it seems like we just won't agree. And this discussion it's going anywhere. Best wishes! <3

When I say you that is to everyone in general with that mind set being anti social in a social type game, that things there shouldn't be global chat.

Running a small guild with your friends is not the same as running a competitive guild in a game that has OWPvP.

You disagree while not bringing up any substation points because there are none to stop people from being able to communicate with a global chat...If you don't like global chat don't use it, it won't affect your life bud.

Upset? more like baffled by your lack of points that seams more set on selfishness that giving players the choice to do what they want with their needs for communication in a mmorpg...
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Ah I get it with the competitive guild/ 3rd party issue. Solution could be a rule against it and GMs delivering debuffs to large guilds with 3rd party chat coordination such as visual distortions to the game and cries of the damned unmuting themself while tabbed into the game.

Alternatively they get put into some NPC faction that is at war with the rest of the world lol. A good faction and good game but still; having a hundred people coordinating out of game is like its own faction let's be real here.
    They could choose nature's grove [anti-civ], corrupted (lol), or whatever. That would be its own game so that's not much of a solution to be honest.

Just a periodic debuff would suffice.

Then again aggressive mic grabbing could be easy to implement and fix the problem mostly lol
  • Options
    Scarbeus wrote: »

Easier to ban bad actors from guild chat. Global you have to ignore trolls, bots, gold sellers, spammers over and over again.
  • Options
    Volgaris wrote: »
    Easier to ban bad actors from guild chat. Global you have to ignore trolls, bots, gold sellers, spammers over and over again.
    This is where having active GMs should help prevent too much spam.
    I’m undecided on a global chat. I probably think that many players in one chat room could be a problem. Maybe an opt-in to global chat and default be off.. maybe.
  • Options

Running a small guild with your friends is not the same as running a competitive guild in a game that has OWPvP.
    Again assuming...
    You disagree while not bringing up any substation points because there are none to stop people from being able to communicate with a global chat...If you don't like global chat don't use it, it won't affect your life bud.

Upset? more like baffled by your lack of points that seams more set on selfishness that giving players the choice to do what they want with their needs for communication in a mmorpg...
    I've given lot's of reasons and feedback. You can go back and read them if you want. I don't see why you argue so hard for communication for in game chat in an MMO IMO... global chat in MMO's have been dead since 2005. Because people realized there are better methods of communication mainly. Fourms, vent, teamspeak, discord.
    Like I said before, we can disagree, it's totally fine. You don't have to "win" an argument. It's not a fight to the death. lol Devs will do what they think is best based on the feedback.
  • Options
    Biccus wrote: »
    Volgaris wrote: »
    I’m undecided on a global chat. I probably think that many players in one chat room could be a problem. Maybe an opt-in to global chat and default be off.. maybe.

Easy opt in regions based on filters allowing you to see all region chats in one tab but only able to talk in one region per post. This will be the same as global but stop everyone from talking in every single chat at once more located around locations. This will make them far less busy not that every one will opt into regions all the time or every one of them.

Based on player numbers and how fast test scrolls you add a timer you can post every so often which will slow chat down and not allow one person to keep talking int he chat back and forth the entire time. (though if chat activity is not alot you won't need a timer they need to test or have a good guess on what they expect).

Bots and gold sellers 100% need to be looked into and banned potentially, not everyone will use global / region chat and it should balance out allowing people to communicate and see what is actually going on in chat or simply not care about it.

Play choice should be important and not having more discussions take place out of the game.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

GM will act on the forbidden part (goldseller and such kind of offer) which is mainly... fighting them (more than their message)
    But for the useless spam (which is the most common message on global) It won't be their work... Only harassment/spam of insult due to high amount of salt (or a too big ego)...

And there are also the negativ impact on community mentality as was said before : People will expect other using global chat, and there will be some kind of discrimination for people without the global chat.
    It will go on discord ? sure but... lets be honest and real, discord is still minority of activ again. with a non official moderation and we know where it can lead sometime, making discord even less efficient. People will stick to guild announce (which are hardly efficient in global a permanent message with more informations is better).

This is for this i dislike global chat, i think relying on node chat (and would defend to have it created) with various rule (due to how nodes are working) would be more interesting, and fitting more, i think, game philosophy
  • Options
    Aerlana wrote: »
    And there are also the negativ impact on community mentality as was said before : People will expect other using global chat, and there will be some kind of discrimination for people without the global chat.
    This just sounds ridiculous. I’ve never heard of anyone being discriminated against for not being in a chat channel 90% full of flaming and bot spam.
    I don’t like global chat personally and I think it’d just get abused.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    Aerlana wrote: »
    This just sounds ridiculous. I’ve never heard of anyone being discriminated against for not being in a chat channel 90% full of flaming and bot spam.
    I don’t like global chat personally and I think it’d just get abused.

The discrimination is not direct "oh you are not using global chat, get out"...

But simply, People thinking that the best way to get information is to ask global chat will just have no care if you don't like to use it.

The reason simply having global chat and turning it off doesn't work is because for the people that turn it off and want a more grounded community and close knit feel, whenever they try stopping people and asking a question. People don't respond because they are looked at as stupid for not using global chat. We are trying to build a better community in a game so the game doesn't suck.

This express my thought better than myself
  • Options
    Idk are we really implying that players will snub your questions just because you asked them in node chat instead of global?

And people ignoring random questions from strangers is quite unlikely to be because they think you are stupid for not asking in global chat. Just my opinion, though.
  • Options
    Idk are we really implying that players will snub your questions just because you asked them in node chat instead of global?

And people ignoring random questions from strangers is quite unlikely to be because they think you are stupid for not asking in global chat. Just my opinion, though.

You ever try stopping people in an MMO and asking them a question in general chat instead of global chat? Cuz i have and about 80% of the time i'm ignored, 15% of the time i get "look it up on the wiki" or "google it", and maybe 5% of the time i get someone who gives me a short answer.
  • Options
    You ever try stopping people in an MMO and asking them a question in general chat instead of global chat? Cuz i have and about 80% of the time i'm ignored, 15% of the time i get "look it up on the wiki" or "google it", and maybe 5% of the time i get someone who gives me a short answer.
    That’s kinda my point, it’s unfortunately an expected behaviour of the general player population. People tend to act like they don’t have time for other people. You’d likely get that response in global chat too, but people won’t waste their time typing it because they can ignore the question, it wasn’t asked to them.
  • Options
    Global Chat must be burned to its foundation, and the foundation broken and torn up, then crushed to bits and pieces.
  • Options
    LordXpLordXp Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No global chat would be great. I would love proximity voice chat. Running into someone and being able to chat them up while adventuring is what I feel grows the community aspect. There's always gonna be assholes but make it easy to mute/block them.
    fajah55rhetm.jpg

• Options
    BCGBCG Member, Intrepid Pack
    What about node chat?
  • Options
    @LordXp
    Nah make it easy to reduce volume to 1% but not 0%. Always got the wisp wisp wisp. I can see a lot of PKers being born from that lol . . .
  • Options
    Even aside from the spam/goldsellers in global, and well all chats. Getting rid of global chat or a chat that has the ability to reach the whole population will amke the world feel bigger. If I spawn and do most my leveling on the east continent and there isn't an in game chat that's telling me what's happening on the west continent I'll either have to go over there or ask some guildies/friends what's going on. The whole idea that all the information and happenings need to be blasted in your face in an mmo is a flaw that leads to an early decline. If the world is actually large enough the other continent could actually feel like a different server. I wouldn't advocate for anything less than a Node level chat, or you'd risk the players feeling like the server is dead.
  • Options
    The "world is dead" feel is more from MMOs that have every player converging on one place of it though. Nodes mitigate all of that.
    Node layout (like city layout) and path placement will help;

If dirt off the path were "soft" in many places and this created tracks/ ground disturbance and affected Movement Speed. . . .. More players on Paths (especially in deserts) and thus the world feels more alive for TWO reasons.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    edited September 2022
    Iandriel wrote: »
    RP is going to be even more enhanced in Ashes, because of all the in-game political systems that actually matter. I feel like to get the full experience from this game; you should play on an RP server. So, please have that be a thing!

RP is a lot more then that. Things like slice of life, or just being a peasant. Walking through the streets custom emotes and using your imagination to do more then what the game offers. The interactions, the non-combat or even gameplay related things. Using the world as a medium to create your own stories with like-minded people. Most of the actual in-game mechanics, like the mayoral system or the caravan system will probably not even be utilised by the RP community, at least not within RP. It's much more likely we'll use the system with an imaginary caravan, so the one running the event has some degree of control over the type of encounters a group might run into. Not to mention gives the players time to actually emote their movements, abilities, and skills.

Given the server will be divided into different nodes. Finding people that actually want to RP is already diminished. And no, playing the game isn't the RP we talk about.

To use a DnD analogy. RP is much more about letting your players interact with each other, talk about their lives, their backstories, getting a few drinks, making some friends. The moments in the game where the DM just sits back and enjoys, as no input of the DM is required. Whereas most of the players in an MMO constantly need the DM.

Whilst someone may not personally like to RP. Walking into a tavern and seeing players interact as though they are NPCs in your world helps make it feel alive. Or a group of adventurer's gathered around a campfire as you go along and quest. It'll make the world feel more alive. It's not about segregating the playerbase, as some people have tried to argue. It's about providing the minimal amount of help to those who want to Roleplay to find like-minded people. There don't even need to be additional rules. Don't wilfully interrupt people from enjoying the game (harassment) a rule that should be universal. I don't care if I see players running around with non-rp names. Everyone's welcome on an RP server as long as people don't harass. And if you have roleplay aspirations, you'll probably think twice before naming your character something like digbick or ice-wallow

And, finally, no global chats, thanks!
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    ariatras wrote: »
    Iandriel wrote: »
    RP is going to be even more enhanced in Ashes, because of all the in-game political systems that actually matter. I feel like to get the full experience from this game; you should play on an RP server. So, please have that be a thing!

RP is a lot more then that. Things like slice of life, or just being a peasant. Walking through the streets custom emotes and using your imagination to do more then what the game offers. The interactions, the non-combat or even gameplay related things. Using the world as a medium to create your own stories with like-minded people. Most of the actual in-game mechanics, like the mayoral system or the caravan system will probably not even be utilised by the RP community, at least not within RP. It's much more likely we'll use the system with an imaginary caravan, so the one running the event has some degree of control over the type of encounters a group might run into. Not to mention gives the players time to actually emote their movements, abilities, and skills.

Given the server will be divided into different nodes. Finding people that actually want to RP is already diminished. And no, playing the game isn't the RP we talk about.

To use a DnD analogy. RP is much more about letting your players interact with each other, talk about their lives, their backstories, getting a few drinks, making some friends. The moments in the game where the DM just sits back and enjoys, as no input of the DM is required. Whereas most of the players in an MMO constantly need the DM.

Whilst someone may not personally like to RP. Walking into a tavern and seeing players interact as though they are NPCs in your world helps make it feel alive. Or a group of adventurer's gathered around a campfire as you go along and quest. It'll make the world feel more alive. It's not about segregating the playerbase, as some people have tried to argue. It's about providing the minimal amount of help to those who want to Roleplay to find like-minded people. There don't even need to be additional rules. Don't wilfully interrupt people from enjoying the game (harassment) a rule that should be universal. I don't care if I see players running around with non-rp names. Everyone's welcome on an RP server as long as people don't harass. And if you have roleplay aspirations, you'll probably think twice before naming your character something like digbick or ice-wallow

And, finally, no global chats, thanks!

RP is not a reason for no global chat. Simply turn global chat off for yourself and paly solo or with your smaller group.
  • Options
    MissionCreepMissionCreep Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    All sales are local, correct? Like there's no magical transporter that lets you buy things across the server and get it delivered to your in-game email?

There's going to be a lot of chat spam for "legitimate" in game economy.
    I'm sure there will obviously be a trade chat of some sort but that won't stop people.

As far as global goes, I just open up my chat pane and turn that off, it takes 5 seconds.
  • Options
    MissionCreepMissionCreep Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Can we make a chat bounty system?
    If the Bounty Hunter finds them and kills them, they don't drop any loot but they can't talk for 1 day. And it goes up with higher bounties.

Also imagine that these servers will have potentially 5x more active players logged in than in other games we might have played.
    There could be a LOT of annoying chat.

Hopefully they give us the tools to manage our chat/tabs pretty well, in addition to promoting a lot of chat mods.
    (But player mods can get a game into trouble, as well!)