Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Progression Systems in AOC - Account vs Character

TheWanderedTheWandered Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
With things like citizenship and Freeholds being restricted to one per account. I'm hoping to see things like achievements and map exploration among others also be tied to the account and not character-specific.

I love creating multiple alts and getting a chance to explore different types of classes/professions but having to re-complete and unlock simple things over and over and over again is exhausting and imo doesn't serve a purpose once you've completed it on your account already.

Would love to see the game take more of an account progress stance where everything that you do on one character adds to your experience on others so it always feels like you're progressing even if you might be starting over with a new toon.

Cheers,

Comments

• With things like citizenship and Freeholds being restricted to one per account. I'm hoping to see things like achievements and map exploration among others also be tied to the account and not character-specific.

I love creating multiple alts and getting a chance to explore different types of classes/professions but having to re-complete and unlock simple things over and over and over again is exhausting and imo doesn't serve a purpose once you've completed it on your account already.

Would love to see the game take more of an account progress stance where everything that you do on one character adds to your experience on others so it always feels like you're progressing even if you might be starting over with a new toon.

Cheers,

Yea, that would be pretty annoying
  • BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited September 2022
    I'm on the opposite side of this. I want characters in the same account (on the same server) to be completely independent from one another, possibly even separate bank storages (but that might be abused to have infinite bank space, so I'm not sure about that).

Having multiple characters on the same account on the same server must be allowed, but it shouldn't be further encouraged. Having alts is probably going to be very beneficial to begin with, so no need to remove some of the hassle in making them.

I hope that progress/achievements/etc. will be character bound, not account wide. In other words, different characters should be the same as different accounts for most in-game purposes.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't know how to think about this because it falls into that design space I don't like.

The problem with MMOs is that anything that is accessible to everyone without a drawback of anything other than time, has to be considered 'Baseline' for any player who is attempting to be anything other than a very casual participant.

Then you have to question what is 'reasonable' to have to re-unlock on a different server (I am assuming your intention is for these things to be for Alts on the same Server).

I just worry about moving the Baseline so that 'not having an Alt on the same Server' is effectively a 'Penalty' relative to the Baseline. Ashes is already a game with a LOT of these, it really doesn't need more.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• i hope gathering, refining and crafting are account wide as well. whats the point of not letting my character max all professions when i can simply make alts and max them there? it removes the social aspect of the game.
  • DaggialDaggial Member
    edited September 2022
    With things like citizenship and Freeholds being restricted to one per account. I'm hoping to see things like achievements and map exploration among others also be tied to the account and not character-specific.

Absolutely agree on the map exploration part. It wouldn't make any sense to hide a part of the map from a character when you already know it with another character anyway.
    kWbm5nG.gif
    Monkey Business (EU) is RECRUITING
  • Depraved wrote: »
    i hope gathering, refining and crafting are account wide as well. whats the point of not letting my character max all professions when i can simply make alts and max them there? it removes the social aspect of the game.

I agree, that and you can just log out level 1 scouts at world boss spawns etc...
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Daggial wrote: »

Absolutely agree on the map exploration part. It wouldn't make any sense to hide a part of the map from a character when you already know it with another character anyway.

Fog of war may reclaim the map over time as the world changes.
    Hopefully they go that route.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.