Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Fog in cemetery

I think it would look way better when the fog would be somewhat like in real life where it is way higher above the ground not just at the feet and it should also narrow the viewing distance.
Steven said you can't see the constellation if you aren't high enough which doesn't make much sense since nothing visually changed while you coming out of this thick fog to see a clear sky with the constellation makes way more sense.
I like the the artstyle in the cemetory but the mood just doesn't seem to hit right when you go there at night. It just doesn't really feel spooky or dangerous, so maybe having a better fog changes this a little bit.

Comments

• Options
    I like what they have done with the fog but does real fog just linger around the floor indefinitely? It should rise a little in some areas it’s still holds a spooky setting though at the moment for me.
  • Options
    Low, sweeping fog like that typically forms at night or early mornings. It's beautiful, and indeed very real.

I'd concur the low fog is extremely fitting for the graveyard. Doesnt hinder them from putting other types of fog elsewhere, like the coastlines and docks for instance.
  • Options
    I think the fog looked like it came from a fog machine. It didn't look natural, especially not when it was laying on the tree branches like snow.

The fog that can be seen in the other live stream videos looks more natural. In these videos it is the wind movement in the vegetations that makes it looks unnatural. The vegetation moves like it's almost a storm but the fog is moving slowly like it's barley no wind at all.

I hope they will notice and fix all these details on the visuals so it doesn't look like a student's work.
    All Stevens talk about this game made me get high expectations, not only the mechanics but also the visuals. I'm glad the alpha isn't out yet.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The fog on the ground is definitely a real phenomena.
    landscape_1318.jpg

I've seen it in RL several times, mostly early in the morning. Now, in the video it also appeared in several layers on the tree branches and such, which is silly. But I assume that's just because we're still in pre-A2.
  • Options
    i loved the fog, i couldn't stop staring at it
  • Options
    We're in a god damn high fantasy. Let fog be foggy as hell! Let it stick to shit, climb trees, cover people completely, all that good stuff.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love the fog shown. I hope they keep it.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    beapobeapo Member
    edited December 2022
    Nerror wrote: »
    landscape_1318.jpg

I've seen it in RL several times, mostly early in the morning. Now, in the video it also appeared in several layers on the tree branches and such, which is silly. But I assume that's just because we're still in pre-A2.

Yeah I've seen that kind of fog where it gets breast high but the fog in the game looks like it is feet high and I've never seen such a low hanging fog unless it is on a lake. This fog just looks like it is made by a fog machine rather than looking like a real fog and I think if you make it look more realistic it will give you a way better vibe. The fog in game is so unnoticable to me, that I probably wouldn't really see a difference between having a fog and not having a fog.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    beapo wrote: »
    landscape_1318.jpg

Yeah I've seen that kind of fog where it gets breast high but the fog in the game looks like it is feet high and I've never seen such a low hanging fog unless it is on a lake. This fog just looks like it is made by a fog machine rather than looking like a real fog and I think if you make it look more realistic it will give you a way better vibe. The fog in game is so unnoticable to me, that I probably wouldn't really see a difference between having a fog and not having a fog.

I've experienced it not even reaching my knees a few times. But either way, let's see how they improve the fog over time. It's early days for UE5 yet.
  • Options
    all times i went tocemetaries during the night, I dont remember ever seeing fog, so there's no "somewhat like in real life" for me

the fog in the stream was nice, it would look even greater with the fog was taller and people could disapear in the fog

PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    I had to look at the video again and I think the fog is moving too fast and too much and that's one reason it doesn't look realistic. It moves like it was a stream of water or smoke in the wind. I have never seen real natural fog move like that and I live in a foggy place, especially during spring and fall. Fog usually appears when theres no wind or just a little wind. If it's too much wind the fog would just blow away and the air would get too dry for it to apear.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Note:

Fantasy world =/= Real world

i.e. Verra =/= Earth

In other words, there is no obligation to mirror the real world.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Note:

Fantasy world =/= Real world

i.e. Verra =/= Earth

In other words, there is no obligation to mirror the real world.

Sorry but this just sounds like a really bad excuse that shouldn't be encouraged any further. Might as well remove all weather effects because Fanstasy world =/= Real world.
    Whenever you try to mimic anything that already exists in the real world why would you purposely make it look worse and than say it's a fantasy world?
  • Options
    Sorry but this just sounds like a really bad excuse that shouldn't be encouraged any further. Might as well remove all weather effects because Fanstasy world =/= Real world.
    Whenever you try to mimic anything that already exists in the real world why would you purposely make it look worse and than say it's a fantasy world?
    I'm pretty sure what tautau meant is that Intrepid doesn't have to copy earth's weather or other stuff one to one. They can have the same thing but in a different shape/form.

First pass of the fog might not look as good as it could, but just saying "we on earth have this, so make it exactly like this" is also not the best feedback for a high fantasy game.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    First pass of the fog might not look as good as it could, but just saying "we on earth have this, so make it exactly like this" is also not the best feedback for a high fantasy game.

If they copy something from real life like a weather effect I expect them to try and make it look better and not worse. As it looks right now, I would rather prefer to have no fog at all than this. A fog in the right places is one of the most beatiful weather effects we have, so I don't get why you all try to defend this by saying "it's a fantasy game, it's okay when everything looks bad."

I want to give a feedback on how to improve the game and people saying it should stay in this alpha state is counter productive.
  • Options
    If they copy something from real life like a weather effect I expect them to try and make it look better and not worse. As it looks right now, I would rather prefer to have no fog at all than this. A fog in the right places is one of the most beatiful weather effects we have, so I don't get why you all try to defend this by saying "it's a fantasy game, it's okay when everything looks bad."

I want to give a feedback on how to improve the game and people saying it should stay in this alpha state is counter productive.
    No one is saying for it to stay in this state. We all know that the visuals themselves look kinda shit. But that's a given cause we're, as you yourself said, in an alpha state.

Unless I completely misunderstood some commenters here, they seems to say that the form and presentation of the fog is fine. Its properties don't match those of the irl fog, but that's ok because it's a fantasy fog. The visuals will be fixed later on in the development process.

No one is stating the obvious "fog looks like shit", because in god damn every single fucking stream Steven repeats 10 times over that it's alpha and the visuals are not final. If this fog looks exactly the same before Ashes goes into beta - then we can say "why does is still looks like shit?"
  • Options
    landscape_1318.jpg

Fog occurs a little different depending on the humidity too
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Template.png