Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Sheathing weapons

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Please forgive me if this has been addressed id just rather re ask then search countless posts jaja but

Are there any plans to customize how we sheath our weapons, this is a really cool and immersive mechanic that would not be tooo time consuming to impliment, and if there are no current plans, please consider this, some examples below

o9g5bbeggei7.jpg
263nza87tetu.jpg
giz3p0lfd1hc.jpg
ck7jiv5lhu8x.jpg

Comments

• Cool yea! Would be very awesome if we could actually customize how to sheath our weapons.

• SjeldenSjelden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2023
    Chicago wrote: »
    would not be tooo time consuming to impliment

What do you base this assumption on?
    Are sheathed weapons on Intrepids to-do list at all?

What will it require from Intrepid to implement a feature to sheathe weapons?
    Should this account for all weapon types?

Daggers? Bows? Battlehammers? Spears?
    What about clipping into mounts? Capes? Backpacks? Or animations?

How about various races and character sizes? Do weapons scale?
    If weapons dont scale, how will a large longsword sheathe on the body of a tiny dwarf? Clip into ground?

A mechanic that sound simple may in fact be vastly more complex than you would think.

• ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sjelden wrote: »

If weapons dont scale, how will a large longsword sheathe on the body of a tiny dwarf? Clip into ground?

A mechanic that sound simple may in fact be vastly more complex than you would think.

Mate they literally have attacks moving the environment i think it wouldnt be that big a deal
  • Xnate13XXnate13X Member
    edited March 2023
    I think it would be cool as well, but to implement them later on. A back burner type of thing. I'd much prefer they spend all time and resources on developing a playable game atm so we can get to Alpha 2 sooner. Then we can play the game whenever we want while we wait for final release and experience all these new little fun things as they get patched in over the course of A2-release. (:
  • While it would be an awesome feature to add, it would take months of work for the animations. It's something like 100+ animations per unique sheath display.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Mate they literally have attacks moving the environment i think it wouldnt be that big a deal

I'll just join the chorus of people telling you that you're incorrect about this.

Attacks moving grass is so 'simple' that I am surprised that they bothered 'showing it off', but it does visually seem impressive.

Sheathing weapons properly is, as @KingDDD said, an amount of work comparable to animating entire mob attack sequences.

tl;dr I'd estimate that for every Sheath Animation, we'd 'lose' one unique Mob attack.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• While it would be reall
    Azherae wrote: »

I'll just join the chorus of people telling you that you're incorrect about this.

Attacks moving grass is so 'simple' that I am surprised that they bothered 'showing it off', but it does visually seem impressive.

Sheathing weapons properly is, as @KingDDD said, an amount of work comparable to animating entire mob attack sequences.

tl;dr I'd estimate that for every Sheath Animation, we'd 'lose' one unique Mob attack.

It's probably even more than a 1 to 1 ratio. The rigs for character models are significantly more intricate than most mobs, and the animation work on hands is really hard to make realistic. Combine that with 9 races, two body types per race, general clipping issues and you have a recipe for a significant amount of work for a cool but unnecessary feature.

The other option would be to have no animation play when you enter combat and your weapon magically appears in your hands in the default combat animation. I have a feeling most people would cry about that though.
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Azherae wrote: »

true but i mean game has been in development for what pushing 7 years its not like they dont have time
  • Chicago wrote: »
    true but i mean game has been in development for what pushing 7 years its not like they dont have time

The game is no longer Ashes Of Creation. It is now Sheathings Of Weapon.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • SjeldenSjelden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2023
    game has been in development for what pushing 7 years its not like they dont have time

Things that takes time:

- Building a gaming studio from srcratch
    - Building a game IP with lore from scratch
    - Building the network and database support for an MMORPG from scratch
    - Developing new technology for a game

Guess which of these Intrepid Studios spent time on?
    (Hint; all of them, and more).

For an established triple A studio, with an existing game lore, and all the developers, writers and artists they needed, it still took a long time to build an MMORPG to a high level of quality. Seven years is on the lower end of that scale.

Your statement is factually false. Intrepid Studios does not have the spare time nor the spare resources to set aside for a low priority feature like this.

Would it be cool? Sure? Would it be easy? No.
  • its my fantasy, I'll sheathe it how I please! @daveywavey