Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Who Would Like Me To...(for readers of fantasy)

Hey all, it is I, Xan, the illustrious Inn Overlord.

On a serious note...I write fantasy as a hobby, I also read fantasy as a hobby (currently re-reading Raymond E. Feist's Magician series - I'm up to the 2nd last one 'A Crown Imperiled' and looking forward to 'Magician's End' which I have not read yet).

I was thinking of writing some fantasy short stories based around Ashes of Creation. Some racial stories, perhaps backstories of the world etc. I'm just wondering if anyone would be interested in reading this sort of stuff, and if so, what medium would you like it shared in? I have an old deviant art account (which was mostly used for poetry in my old emo angst days), but I don't know what the current meta is for sharing these kinds of things.

What do you all think/suggest? What would you like to see written about if anything at all?
I know @TruthEternal has a youtube going where he reads some fantasy, perhaps he would be interested to narrate the writing and throw it on his youtube for all of those that prefer an audio version (he is a great voice actor btw, he can see this thread and link his youtube, I highly recommend you check him out).

Comments

• Raymond E. Feist's Magician - instant thumbs up for discovered king stories!
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    To give you a quick example of my writing style (since I'm bored right now, here is a sample of something I may write about, bare in mind it is an unedited first draft:

Rilug groggily opened his eyes. He felt a sudden stab of pain below his ribs, and clutched it with his left hand. His hand felt warm as blood seeped out of the nasty wound. He was still disoriented, but slowly, the memories came flooding in. A serrated blade, someone he once called brother, looking down at him, spitting on him and walking off leaving him for dead. He was lucky to be alive, or perhaps he was cursed, for what life was truly left for him. His whole tribe littered the land that was once his village. Charred smoke filled his lungs with each laboured breath. The strong scent of death mixed with burning wood and clay overpowered him, causing him to cough violently. The pain from the action was unbearable. He was in the midst of glowing embers and faceless corpses, all that remained after the horror from hours past. Ash fell like snow, eventually settling on the ground and clumping with blood. So much blood.

The young orc looked up to the starless night sky and roared. Was he summoning the traitorous faction of the Ting'mha clan to return and finish him off? He didn't quite know, and was too fatigued to care. Unconsciousness clawed at him, like a cat starved of attention. 'Close your eyes, let go', his mind lulled to him, ever so sweetly. The voice in his mind was warm and caressed him like a warg nursing a fresh litter of babes. He knew all too well how fleeting that feeling was, and embraced it for a moment before it was swept away with the wind. The Ren'Kai believed that once you die, your body feeds new life, while your soul moves onto the Ever After. The path of the Ever After is either a calm ocean or a raging sea, depending on how you lived your life. Rilug had come to understand peace over the years, but his troubled youth was stained with murder and regret. His faith was strong, but far from resolute and he worried that Vaar may tip the scales against him and judge him unworthy.

Rilug was ready to take the final steps toward the Ever After, closing his eyes one last time, he took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Nothing happened. There was no peace, no tranquility, no holy God only the continual throb of pain as the blood continued to flow from his wound. 'It is not yet your time. The Ever After awaits a sacrifice, but it is not you that we crave. It is vengeance'. He opened his eyes, looked up to the sky again, and saw a single bright twinkling star. He knew what he had to do. Reaching deeply, he withdrew all of the strength he could muster, and uttered a primal scream that pulsated for miles around him. The scream was picked up and echoed by a young pack of Beta Wargs. They felt his pain and sent him strength, howling longingly. Within moments, other packs picked up the call, and soon, the night was filled with screams of bloodlust. Rilug began the night in the midst of traitorous slaughter, and he would end the night with revenge. If it was his final act to appease Vaal, he swore it to all the God's that cared to listen.
  • Intrepid, hire this fine person right now!  <3
  • xantham said:
    To give you a quick example of my writing style (since I'm bored right now, here is a sample of something I may write about, bare in mind it is an unedited first draft:

Rilug groggily opened his eyes. He felt a sudden stab of pain below his ribs, and clutched it with his left hand. His hand felt warm as blood seeped out of the nasty wound. He was still disoriented, but slowly, the memories came flooding in. A serrated blade, someone he once called brother, looking down at him, spitting on him and walking off leaving him for dead. He was lucky to be alive, or perhaps he was cursed, for what life was truly left for him. His whole tribe littered the land that was once his village. Charred smoke filled his lungs with each laboured breath. The strong scent of death mixed with burning wood and clay overpowered him, causing him to cough violently. The pain from the action was unbearable. He was in the midst of glowing embers and faceless corpses, all that remained after the horror from hours past. Ash fell like snow, eventually settling on the ground and clumping with blood. So much blood.

The young orc looked up to the starless night sky and roared. Was he summoning the traitorous faction of the Ting'mha clan to return and finish him off? He didn't quite know, and was too fatigued to care. Unconsciousness clawed at him, like a cat starved of attention. 'Close your eyes, let go', his mind lulled to him, ever so sweetly. The voice in his mind was warm and caressed him like a warg nursing a fresh litter of babes. He knew all too well how fleeting that feeling was, and embraced it for a moment before it was swept away with the wind. The Ren'Kai believed that once you die, your body feeds new life, while your soul moves onto the Ever After. The path of the Ever After is either a calm ocean or a raging sea, depending on how you lived your life. Rilug had come to understand peace over the years, but his troubled youth was stained with murder and regret. His faith was strong, but far from resolute and he worried that Vaar may tip the scales against him and judge him unworthy.

Rilug was ready to take the final steps toward the Ever After, closing his eyes one last time, he took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Nothing happened. There was no peace, no tranquility, no holy God only the continual throb of pain as the blood continued to flow from his wound. 'It is not yet your time. The Ever After awaits a sacrifice, but it is not you that we crave. It is vengeance'. He opened his eyes, looked up to the sky again, and saw a single bright twinkling star. He knew what he had to do. Reaching deeply, he withdrew all of the strength he could muster, and uttered a primal scream that pulsated for miles around him. The scream was picked up and echoed by a young pack of Beta Wargs. They felt his pain and sent him strength, howling longingly. Within moments, other packs picked up the call, and soon, the night was filled with screams of bloodlust. Rilug began the night in the midst of traitorous slaughter, and he would end the night with revenge. If it was his final act to appease Vaal, he swore it to all the God's that cared to listen.
    Dude...

I am a fan.
  • I want more..........
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Euch I hate to be such a buzz kill, fabulous thread.... but surely this is a community creations topic rather than lore?
  • Megs said:
    Euch I hate to be such a buzz kill, fabulous thread.... but surely this is a community creations topic rather than lore?
    Agreed :3 your writing is great, but I definitely feel it belongs in the cc area, rather than lore. Lore to me implies that it's canon from the studio, which this stuff isn't. I do hope you keep writing though, as there's clearly an eager audience for it! 
  • Will start a new one there when I start submitting some stories. If a mod reads this feel free to either move this one there, or if I have already started a new one, feel free to merge/close this one.
  • Eagerly waiting for more. :)
  • This is damn good for a first draft. Easy to read and draws you in. Well done :)