Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The 10 gods of the pantheon

Here are my 10 picks for deity/god types in Ashes (total speculation):

Sea/Water, Forest/Nature, Mountain/Earth, Sky/Electricity, War/Fire, Magic/Mystery, Moon/Darkness, Sun/Light, Tundra/Ice, Plains/Beauty

What do you think? Will they be somewhat elementally aligned? More in line with religions/artisan classes/ adventuring classes? Would love to hear theories.

Comments

• Expecting underrealm Gods, at least two of them! 
  • My speculation is they will be more in line with races' hopes and dreams--War god, protection god, fertility, etc. What we should be worried about is why they wiped out civilization before?  Do we even want to know these gods or are they even worth worship?
  • I'm hoping they are more than just big elementals. That lacks creation. I'm guessing they are going to be more like Egyptian Gods. They are going to be centered around beliefs and aspects. 
  • There is only one god and that is me ^^

"Nagash, known by many names such as the Great Necromancer, the Great Betrayer, the Supreme Lord of Undeath or simply He Who Shall Not Be Named, is the ultimate personification of death and the undead, an ancient, evil being who sought to conquer this cruel, chaotic world and bring about an age of undeath that will rule for all eternity. Nagash is darkness and unreasoning hatred given form, the father and creator of foul Necromancy and Lord of all Vampire-kind. His every actions and deeds is self-serving, his achievement horrific and loathsome, and his every whim are bent solely to ensure that no one shall ever deny nor challenge his right to rule ever again. This dark, evil entity came close to ultimate domination, but for the sacrifice of an unsung hero, this world would've been lost millennia ago."
  • hmm 10 gods. hmmm well they could go for different routes. but usually in polytheistic religions different things are attributed to those gods alongside their personalities.

like that Thor and Zeus are Gods of Thunder/Lightning/Storm but are otherwise very different.
    So going by a Domain of Influence is at least a start

in my personal fantasy universe, which i created, there are 21 Domains with two Gods for each representing the good side and the bad side of it
    Death, Life, War, Love, Weather, Crafting, Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Plants, Animals, Sun, Moon, Stars, Healing, Knowledge, Time, Dreams, Chaos, Order

• Enrif said:
    hmm 10 gods. hmmm well they could go for different routes. but usually in polytheistic religions different things are attributed to those gods alongside their personalities.

like that Thor and Zeus are Gods of Thunder/Lightning/Storm but are otherwise very different.

in my personal fantasy universe, which i created, there are 21 Domains with two Gods for each representing the good side and the bad side of it
    Death, Life, War, Love, Weather, Crafting, Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Plants, Animals, Sun, Moon, Stars, Healing, Knowledge, Time, Dreams, Chaos, Order

That would tie in well with a morality system 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2017
    nagash said:
    Enrif said:
    hmm 10 gods. hmmm well they could go for different routes. but usually in polytheistic religions different things are attributed to those gods alongside their personalities.

That would tie in well with a morality system 
    Not really, Though my gods represent the good and bad side of things, they don't represent "good"/evil. Like my Gods of Death. The good sides of death is, it prevents overpopulation and in turn suffering caused by it, it could be an end to a live of suffering. The merciful death so to speak(did i mentioned that people in my universe don't die but turn undead? so real death is a good thing for them). For the bad sides of death i don't think i have to tell.

Fire is the more classic thing that can be depicted as good and bad, but not inherently good/evil. Fire is used to cook your food but it can also burn the chef
  • That what I mean. you could have a moral compass were you can be a follower of a God but you actions affect the attributes of said god
    edited June 2017
    Like every Pantheon, there are some that hate others. It will be interesting to see how they tie their relationships of the gods among themselves into the lore of the game. Would the underrealm God be an outcast of the Pantheon, as Hades was to the Greek Olympian Gods? It will be fascinating to find out
  • Go for 9 gods and steal their names from The Elder Scrolls :D
  • Roseeli said:
    Like every Pantheon, there are some that hate others. It will be interesting to see how they tie their relationships of the gods among themselves into the lore of the game. Would the underrealm God be an outcast of the Pantheon, as Hades was to the Greek Olympian Gods? It will be fascinating to find out
    Hades was no Outcast. He was perfectly fine with the other gods. He is not the greek version of Satan
    edited June 2017
    Enrif said:
    Roseeli said:
    Hades was no Outcast. He was perfectly fine with the other gods. He is not the greek version of Satan
    I agree. There were many triune gods rather than purely daulistic too.
    ie the gods that sit between the extremes.
    Above, below and sea level for instance.

Like rain/snow above, frost/dew at sea level, hot springs from below.

Some even more than that.
    Like the 4 children of horus representing a distribution of N,S, E, W in a modern context. But that in itself was only half the strory.
    There was in fact 7 children of horus in the earliest text.
    North south east west above below and middle.
    Even the heliopolitan gods had there roots form the Ogdoad or the eight.
    Each of which represented an elementary physical attribute of nature.
    All of which sprang from one (time) into many at the beginning of time.

Basically an octahedron + a cube.
    The cube is of course, constructed from two tetrahedron.
    Hence 4 pairs.
  • Gods through history were normally aspects of things that weren't understood, were scary or that were just part of a great story. 

Go outside of the box, I'd rather than just one pantheon of elementals, we have LOTS of different forms of religion, after all we have eight separate races from four/five separate portals. . .

Oooh, I like the idea of two forms of the same species having similar but divergent religions, much like you get real life, a source of friction is a source of inspiration and creativity. (in game only though.) . 
  • AeonAuron said:
    Expecting underrealm Gods, at least two of them! 
    Ooh yeah like an ominous "God of the Deep" and maybe a Neutralish God of the Stone or something like that. One god worshipped out of fear, the other out of respect for their land.
  • Megs said:
    Gods through history were normally aspects of things that weren't understood, were scary or that were just part of a great story. 

Go outside of the box, I'd rather than just one pantheon of elementals, we have LOTS of different forms of religion, after all we have eight separate races from four/five separate portals. . .

Oooh, I like the idea of two forms of the same species having similar but divergent religions, much like you get real life, a source of friction is a source of inspiration and creativity. (in game only though.) . 
    the thing is the gods are very real in this world, not like in our world were gods are only an idea. In Ashes gods will be there and the races interact with them. I can't see a reasonable way for there be different interpretations of the same god.
    BUT i can see that different races worship different aspects of the same god.
    Say in GW2 there is the God Balthazar, God of Fire and War. Maybe the dwarves would care more for the Fire part while the Humans care more for the War part
  • Megs said:
    Gods through history were normally aspects of things that weren't understood, were scary or that were just part of a great story. 

Well, I would say that there is one religion with 10 gods.
    We might create a cornucopia of different sects.

I'm just eager to see the portfolios of the pantheon.
  • I noticed someone say that the gods destroyed the world. Was that confirmed last I heard we had not be informed what the great calamity was. Could have been gods, plague, war, etc.
  • They did say when you worship a Deity there will be Unique benefits but you don't have to follow any but you will missing out on some things.
  • In a well rounded pantheon, don't forget the female aspects - hearth, birth, healing, love, creation, family, fertility and trade skills, etc.  It is not all clashing swords, summoning, elementals, disease and death.
    edited June 2017
    Whatever the case I hope they allow atheism to be an option. :wink:

• Whatever the case I hope they allow atheism to be an option. :wink:
    atheism will not be a option. You have the option to not follow any god, but you will get no benefits from it
  • "Hello nagash, have you applied for this position before?"

I'm hoping discovering deities and spirits is something that occurs in the world, but barring that, use great spirit like beings.
  • Dornar said:
    In a well rounded pantheon, don't forget the female aspects - hearth, birth, healing, love, creation, family, fertility and trade skills, etc.  It is not all clashing swords, summoning, elementals, disease and death.

Can't the females do the clashing, summoning, death and destruction? Heh heh. 
  • A God of creation, who was, is and will be.
    Two emanated from him: Light and Darkness and fell in love when they met.
    Three of their love were born: Day and Time and Night; Day and Night fell in love with Time but Time only fell in love with Day for that Night Hated them.
    Four came after, two of love were born Water as deep and Earth as strong as Night and two of hatred were engendered fire to
    to make her look like Day and Air as Time that feels but can not be seen.
    Twelve of the four emerged, Soul, Mind and Matter the elder ones, Will, Energy and Force the following, then Cold, Heat and Shadow, last Life, Suffering and Death.

• I was thinking maybe they'd be elemental sort of gods, but another idea that came to mind was maybe they'd be more like greek/roman gods, where say one is the God/Goddess of fertility, and maybe another is a god of fauna/flora. That sort of a thing
    edited June 2017
    I'm liking the idea of the gods being somewhat class aligned and that the class you pick somewhat dictates the god you follow. Then maybe have to go on some adventure to the "home" of your god to receive a blessing that gives you a special skill only available to those that chose that class as their primary class. 
  • Gratefuldoom said: moo
    I'm liking the idea of the gods being somewhat class aligned and that the class you pick somewhat dictates the god you follow. Then maybe have to go on some adventure to the "home" of your god to receive a blessing that gives you a special skill only available to those that chose that class as their primary class. 
    I'm not a fan of potentially having class gods...
    Although I totally love anything that gives a surprise take on something from a different perspective.

Nice take on things :)
  • I would like gods based on classes, that would put a nice spin on things. It would give the Devs a character to hope on every so often for events
  • I think freely chosen worship of a god/goddess by the player makes better stories than class or race based, since you can make interesting mixes with for example playing Cleric who is somehow bound to worship the god/goddess of death. 

I think weather different races could have different interpretation on the gods would be somewhat a question of how close or far (or even completely separate) the races were before re-discovering the portals and also if they had a way of direct contact with the gods during this period. If the gods where somehow tied to their original world (we don't know if this is even same realm as the place we escaped to) and the races would not have too much connection with each other I would see it completely possible to have very different interpretation or even completely different religions evolving during the time away. This way coming back to the old world would also bring out very interesting situations with religions, religious authorities and personal beliefs.

I agree with @AutumnWillow females can totally do destructive goddess as well. It's not even very rare concept, for example putting "War Goddess" in wikipedia brings out 78 pages of mythological goddesses. 
  • Some of the Gods could have ancestral links to each spesific race, like back in the days of the humping some of them spawned "demigods/halfgods" which in turn became the forefathers of that race.

OH! you could create like some random ingame "lottery" in which you made the ancestral tree of some random few to have a link to them. Like godblood in their veins or something. And since that can be unfair you could place some holy relics around the world like in the part of the treasure hunting, where they find it and become connected to a certain god in this way(unlock quests, Visual effect, transmog piece) Also few and random so its Saught after!   

Certain Shrines only activate for certain random people or classes. But every player gets something unique in 1 way or another! :D