Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What the heck is a "Burrowing Mount"? What do they *DO*, vs. Land & Water Mounts?

Both the land and aquatic mounts are fairly self-explanatory. Land mounts are for land, and usually have some kind of a temporary, exhaust-able speed boost. Water/aquatic mounts are for water and the seas, and can usually dive below the surface.

What the heck is a "burrowing" mount? Wouldn't we just use land-mounts for traversing the Underrealm? Are they able to dig into walls/earthen material for a certain distance? Can they short-cut us to the Underrealm, in the case we're on the surface and know that there is Underrealm directly beneath us?

Are there examples of these from other games that I just didn't see, in briefly trying games like L2 and AA? Can't recall anything that really fits into this category....

Comments

• Options
    UnderdelveUnderdelve Member
    edited May 2023
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    This is the first time I even hear about this :D And judging by the wiki, this was only mentioned once and back in 2018. I somehow doubt that they're still a thing.

If they somehow are then maybe they'd be similar to TOTK's ability to go through the ground? But that'd be super op so I'm not sure about that one.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2023
    Yeah, they were considering giving metropolis mayors of Underrealm nodes burrowing mounts instead of flying mounts.

Havent heard anything since, so I wouldnt assume they will be a thing.

The idea seems ok on first inspection, but I would still rather a flying mount, personally.

Seems like a lot of work for a feature that will be seldom ever used.
  • Options
    LodrigLodrig Member
    On the surface world I'd assume a burrowing mount lets you do a short range sub-terranian 'swim' to use as an escape. You cant be targeting while doing it and might also be hidden, but trail of mounded dirt is more likely as a tell tale. And I would suspect that fortifications can't be bypassed with it either. Overall hardly an OP ability.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    ....Seems like a lot of work for a feature that will be seldom ever used.

Aye - If it's not in-game already, this feels like something that can be put off for an expansion, or left out, entirely.
    Lodrig wrote: »
    ....And I would suspect that fortifications can't be bypassed with it either....

Have to agree; Fortifications should have to be fought past. Granted, if they *could* burrow past, it's just one player - but especially if said player is adept at stealth/camo, it could cause game-breaking consequences for "grab-the-crown"-type objectives in a Siege.

Hadn't thought about it.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani wrote: »
    ....Seems like a lot of work for a feature that will be seldom ever used.

Aye - If it's not in-game already, this feels like something that can be put off for an expansion, or left out, entirely.

Left out entirely imo.

A flying mount is of more use on attack than on defense. If I am mayor of an underrealm metropolis, I am unlikely to be attacking anything major in the underrealm.

Realistically, a burrowing mount would be of more use to people attacking an underrealm metropolis.

All up, it is just kind of pointless to me, at least as had been suggested in the past.
  • Options
    It's so you can relive your fantasy of riding the creatures from Tremors. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East