Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Guild Halls

We now know that GHs "may" exist in each barony of a node. And that they're similar to freeholds. I assume they use the bidding system as well (cause I didn't see anything saying otherwise).

Here's my suggestion for GHs in hopes of limiting guilds' ability to outbid everyone for their freeholds. Write whether you agree or disagree with any of the following points:
  • the starting bid should be fairly small
  • GHs should be able to have all processing, crafting and business buildings available in the game at the same time
  • GHs should have their own apartments with up to 300 rooms (depending on the upgrade tier)
  • GHs should have huge lands for farming
  • the bidding system for them should be completely open (we see who and how much have bid)
  • the money from all bids go towards the node's treasury and do not return to the guilds (even if they lost the bid)
  • the bidding process for the entire Barony ends with GH's bid (so all freeholds will have been sold by that time)
  • the last bid's time is random for all the participants within the last hour of the whole process (i.e. guild A can bid at 19:20, g B at 19:35 and g C at 19:55, while the bidding stops at 20:00)

To me this seems like the best way to funnel all the guilds' money into GHs instead of freeholds. If GHs can't accommodate the things I've mentioned, guilds will just go for freeholds instead and we'll be back to the issue we had before.

Having apartments there will also help non-guild people to find housing in nodes (unless we have 50k apts in the game).

Taking all the money from guilds by the end of the process will help prevent other baronies from being overrun with guild-based freehold buyouts. Obviously it won't completely resolve the issue, but will at least lessen it.

I'm very interested in hearing from both the casual players and the GLs of the forum. From casuals: would that amount of power for guilds be ok with you? From GLs: would this setup make you try going for a GH or would it instead just reassure you that getting several FHs is better?

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't like lost bids going to the node. The rest is fine.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited July 2023
    Great idea. Also it gives guilds a visible presence in the nodes they defend. And an obvious reason to defend them.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Neurath wrote: »
    Would you want it to just be a money sink or go back to the guilds?

I wanted to give it to the node as the main "show" of support from the guild. I'd be fine with a sink as well, considering that Intrepid would probably just account for it when calculating node prices.
  • Options
    JhorenJhoren Member
    Good topic. I was wondering if they wanted to drop the Guild Halls, since they kind of made the Freeholds more of a guild thing now in order to even acquire one.

I am not sure if having apartments in GHs is a good thing. I think I'd rather have housing tied to nodes still, but I can't give you a specific reason other than a gut feeling right now.

I think GHs would tie well into a system with multiple tiers of freeholds actually.
    1. Small single-person freeholds, which should be fairly plentiful. Maybe just 0.25 acres. 10k plus per server.
    2. The currently proposed family-based freeholds, but instead of only a single owner, which is a horrible system, make it a properly co-owned endeavour. Lower the amounts of these to make room for the rest.
    3. Guild Halls, which are even bigger than the 1.5 acre freeholds, owned by the guild, not a single person.

I think it should be more than just guild funds to acquire a GH. Guild-quests for the node, other resources the guild has to transport by caravans, etc. But gold should be a factor for sure.

Defensive structures for the GH (and for the family-sized freeholds too) should be a thing.

In guild wars, it should be possible to attack each others GHs, but I am not sure if it should be to a point of total destruction. At least not for the smaller guilds who stand no chance against some mega-guild. But looting for resources seems ok. Actual destruction should be tied to the node still I think, like with freeholds.

I agree with the goal of giving the guilds something to work for and fight over, so the freeholds don't just default to become something the bigger guilds monopolize per default, like is definitely going to happen with the current system.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Good ideas, @NiKr. I think we should include two more asks for GH:
    - KoS list in the main hall
    - Trophy room for raid / dungeon / siege / VIP's assassinated trophies
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Jhoren wrote: »
    I think it should be more than just guild funds to acquire a GH. Guild-quests for the node, other resources the guild has to transport by caravans, etc. But gold should be a factor for sure.
    Yeah, FHs (at least some) will have another currency requirement (node type based one) and I hope GHs do as well.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seems the idea might be more intentional to have guild members or allies own those freeholds surrounding the guild hall.

w6sxgf90bsdu.png

ky4eyc79hsb7.png

9a7wthgvzztn.png
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One

I'd say a small percentage of the bid goes to the node, maybe 10 or 20. If a guild doesn't get one they should still be able to have the means to then bid outside of the city.

A 10 or 20 percent commitment would ensure they were serious. Otherwise everyone would bid on everthing all at the same time.
  • Options
    I would also like to chime in on the narrowness of answering questions. Neuro asked if freehold friends next to each other could share benefits to each other and the answer was no. But now we know that guild halls can :)
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Fantmx wrote: »
    9a7wthgvzztn.png
    Well fuck me sideways. This just pushes more guilds to buy up freeholds instead of trying to go for GHs. And I see no damn point in having it this way, unless the GH is supposed to be so cool and important that only 1-2 guilds should be able to have it.

This is just "freeholds are a luxury not a right" but for fucking guilds now :D gdi Steven
    Seems the idea might be more intentional to have guild members or allies own those freeholds surrounding the guild hall.
    And yet he said that they want to add stuff that will let "wider audience of playstyles" buy a freehold. So this is just YET ANOTHER contradicting direction of design.

I really hope Bill can point these out, as the "fresh eyes" of the company. We have way too damn many of these now.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    And yet he said that they want to add stuff that will let "wider audience of playstyles" buy a freehold. So this is just YET ANOTHER contradicting direction of design.

I really hope Bill can point these out, as the "fresh eyes" of the company. We have way too damn many of these now.

Maybe yes maybe no. Keep in mind the quote that not all guild halls will be purchasable. I am positive the freeholds around them still will be. But we will have to see how spread apart guild halls become first.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    9a7wthgvzztn.png
    Well fuck me sideways. This just pushes more guilds to buy up freeholds instead of trying to go for GHs. And I see no damn point in having it this way, unless the GH is supposed to be so cool and important that only 1-2 guilds should be able to have it.

This is just "freeholds are a luxury not a right" but for fucking guilds now :D gdi Steven

I was going to disagree with you based on an interpretation of this which fit what Steven was 'saying' but then I realized that there was a giant hole in that reasoning which made you entirely correct and now I'm sad.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Also not sure if this is accurate but:

zmz1mf6vl7lf.png
  • Options
    In some ways it seems it might easier to get a guild hall as a guild than a freehold as a single player.
  • Options
    acki02acki02 Member
    Also not sure if this is accurate but:

zmz1mf6vl7lf.png

The wording in the article made me think that not all parcels will belong to Baronies, potentially increasing that number.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    In some ways it seems it might easier to get a guild hall as a guild than a freehold as a single player.
    Yeah, I'd imagine any given server would have ~30-40 semi-big guilds and they'd all be able to get a GH (with quite a few left over). So at this point the only thing we need to know is how useful they are.

Maaaaybe they'll be as useful as I suggested and guilds will do exactly what I hoped them to do when writing this post, but with fewer GHs available, the money for each will climb higher so some of the relatively smaller guilds will probably not even try going for them.

Either way, we'll just have to see how it ends up playing in A2-B2. For now I'll just see it as yet another contradicting design direction.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    acki02 wrote: »
    The wording in the article made me think that not all parcels will belong to Baronies, potentially increasing that number.
    The picture says otherwise. All estates are within baronies.
  • Options
    acki02acki02 Member
    edited July 2023
    acki02 wrote: »
    The picture says otherwise. All estates are within baronies.

Counterpoint: we do not know if that's the entire node
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would you want it to just be a money sink or go back to the guilds?

I wanted to give it to the node as the main "show" of support from the guild. I'd be fine with a sink as well, considering that Intrepid would probably just account for it when calculating node prices.

I don't mind the sink but I don't want a loophole to provide wealth to a node.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    All those are for the second rated guilds. The real prizes, the top guild housing challenges, are the Castle Nodes, don't forget about those.

Although the risks of ownership might put them as less stable and desirable.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I don't mind the sink but I don't want a loophole to provide wealth to a node.
    I mean, we'll have "patron guilds" so I'd assume there'll be a way to directly fund a node. Or at least something to that extent.
    Percimes wrote: »
    All those are for the second rated guilds. The real prizes, the top guild housing challenges, are the Castle Nodes, don't forget about those.

Although the risks of ownership might put them as less stable and desirable.
    pe74zrwnqmrb.png
    Doesn't sound like housing to me. And as for castles - those will just bring you a shitton of money, while a GH will be a sinkhole for that money.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    i think guild halls killed EQ2. I am not a fan. Everyone holes up in their private world.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Abarat wrote: »
    i think guild halls killed EQ2. I am not a fan. Everyone holes up in their private world.
    In what way did they kill it? Did GHs in EQ2 have some unique features that let people only sit there and still progress through the game? Cause L2 also had GHs and they did not have that kind of impact.

And even if AoC's GHs have the things I mentioned, it would just remove some guilds from the FH buying competition, rather than removing them from the game.
  • Options
    Doesn't sound like housing to me.

Shhh-shh! Don't bring the flaws of the argument! The point is to shame guilds preferring to fight easy targets rather than the tough ones. :D
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    With some speculative numbers math considering the map shown in the Article showing Miraleth a average(?) node with 6 baronies and each barony "may contain a single Guild Hall" slot and we currently expect around 85 nodes so around ~510 guild halls, but lets low-ball it by half ~250, guilds are expected to have around 40 to 300 players so ~10000 - ~75000 players with access to such clan halls.

Now just gotta know what are the fuctionalities and resources provided by such guild halls that are expected to be "similar to Freeholds". I like the ideas you provided for the Guild Halls @NiKr other than:
    "the money from all bids go towards the node's treasury and do not return to the guilds (even if they lost the bid)"
    which i believe should have atleast a 50-75% failed bidding return to be reasonable.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    other than:
    "the money from all bids go towards the node's treasury and do not return to the guilds (even if they lost the bid)"
    which i believe should have atleast a 50-75% failed bidding return to be reasonable.
    I guess I'm just too strict :D If we do in fact get ~200-300 GHs, I guess it'd be fine to return some money to the guilds, cause they'd just be able to use it on another GH.

Though that's still in the context of GHs providing enough benefits for guilds to choose to bid on them instead of just splitting their money across several FHs.
  • Options
    other than:
    I guess I'm just too strict :D If we do in fact get ~200-300 GHs, I guess it'd be fine to return some money to the guilds, cause they'd just be able to use it on another GH.

Though that's still in the context of GHs providing enough benefits for guilds to choose to bid on them instead of just splitting their money across several FHs.

Yes, the most important thing is for we to know what are the Guild Hall possibilities and functionalities.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    “the starting bid should be fairly small”

Sure, I can agree with this. Especially at the outset of people reaching max level, there should be a reward for getting there ahead of the pack that isn’t diminished by needing a huge amount of currency up front. Get those guild use in GHs easily so they don’t resort to taking up all the FHs.

“GHs should be able to have all processing, crafting and business buildings available in the game at the same time”

This is too much, I think. Every processing profession has four buildings, so that would be what? 24 buildings total or something not counting the living areas, crafting areas, and business areas. That would be massive. Then you’ve got farmland and livestock to think about. I think 24 slots total (4x the size of a freehold) for everything would be sufficient and still require sacrifices to be made. Businesses will each require their own permit, so maybe the cost goes up for each permit as you add more businesses per GH/FH?

“GHs should have their own apartments with up to 300 rooms (depending on the upgrade tier)”

This would have to be quite a large building, but could offer bonuses that would encourage guilds to use their limited space in this way. I think 300 is excessive though. 50-100 max.

“GHs should have huge lands for farming”

Again, I think 4x the freehold size is big enough. They can choose how they want to populate it.

“the bidding system for them should be completely open (we see who and how much have bid)”

I think this is okay for GHs where I would otherwise be against it for FHs.

“the money from all bids go towards the node's treasury and do not return to the guilds (even if they lost the bid)”

I think losing your entire bid is quite excessive. Perhaps there’s a disclaimer that a certain percentage, perhaps 25%, goes to the node if you lose the auction. I like that it gets funneled to the node though, it keeps node membership paramount above guild membership.

“the bidding process for the entire Barony ends with GH's bid (so all freeholds will have been sold by that time)”

This kind of goes against your goal of keeping guilds from funneling money into all the freeholds, doesn’t it? Wouldn’t you rather get them into GHs first so they don’t have to buy up all the FHs?

“the last bid's time is random for all the participants within the last hour of the whole process (i.e. guild A can bid at 19:20, g B at 19:35 and g C at 19:55, while the bidding stops at 20:00)”

I don’t think it should be timed with a hard cutoff. I think the timer should force the minimum bid to go up with each passing unit of time. Every so many hours, minimum bid is raised by 10% or something. That way, eventually, without taking forever, someone will say it’s not worth it anymore.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Sengarden wrote: »
    This would have to be quite a large building, but could offer bonuses that would encourage guilds to use their limited space in this way. I think 300 is excessive though. 50-100 max.
    Apartments are instanced so the building wouldn't have to be super huge. I know that this would destroy the realism, but I'd prefer gameplay here instead of realism.

As for the number of apartments, I went with 300 because that's the max number of members in a guild. And if only 2/3 of a guild can live in their GH, that means the other 200 would have to go take up space in nodes, which I'd prefer to avoid, in order to help solos with their basic housing.
    This kind of goes against your goal of keeping guilds from funneling money into all the freeholds, doesn’t it? Wouldn’t you rather get them into GHs first so they don’t have to buy up all the FHs?
    I shoulda explained this better.

The bidding process would be happening from the very start of sales till after all the freeholds on the barony are sold.

The bids would be going up as long as guilds are willing to fight for the GH. In other words, potentially all the money from a guild would get funneled into trying to get a GH. Obviously some guilds would exit sooner, but the bigger ones would spend a ton of their money on the GH instead of just overpowering FH bids from soloers and small families.

This is also why I prefer the entire bid to get sunk. If guilds know that they'll recuperate most of their bid, they'll be more willing to bait other guilds into overbidding. And while that's an interesting approach to the market pvp, I'm not sure what kind of outcome it would have. @Azherae which approach would be the best for my goal here? Or do you agree that sinking all the bids is just too excessive and the idea would fail right at the start?
    I don’t think it should be timed with a hard cutoff. I think the timer should force the minimum bid to go up with each passing unit of time. Every so many hours, minimum bid is raised by 10% or something. That way, eventually, without taking forever, someone will say it’s not worth it anymore.
    This would fit quite nicely with what I wrote above, so I could definitely see it as a way to push the bidding higher.
  • Options
    guild halls without gathering, processing or crafting, please. that defeats the purpose of everything else.