Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Non consensual PvP will not exist at launch

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There are going to be those people and I wouldn't call them a problem, more like "a problem". They're content, a "F around and find out" thing. I enjoy playing the villain, though I know most people in the same boat as me are just cold blooded griefers out to really ruin someone's day full stop. There isn't much distinction between us, and that's why the system exists, for people like me, but it's going to have to be tuned giga tight for the.. OTHERS.
    Yeah... I have 0 interest in playing MMORPGs on servers where gamers consider players to be their content.

• Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »
    There's no such thing as non-consensual pvp in a game where you log in knowing there are systems in place that allow and even encourage you being attacked by another player.
    Which is why I wouldn't really play on the same server you're on.

Yea we have come to this understanding. In a game designed to have PVE servers such as WoW, thats another conversation entirely. There are games designed to separate the playstyles no doubt, as well as games that are designed entirely as one or the other. Nothing wrong with a game being designed to incorporate and synergize both.

I'm not on the "Dygz ain't playing lmao" crew. I've decided to be on the "If Dygz wants to eventually give the PvP a shot I would be happy to improve the experience" crew. I'd be in the same exact position as you if there was suddenly opt-in world PvP or just a massive deterrent to overall world PvP via corruption. Just doesnt sound appealing to me.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think the majority of the hardcore pvp/pk people will be pirates on the open sea. No corruption there. Sure there will be stragglers here and there ganking people but it will be rare. The only time I see gatherers getting ganked is on high level harvest nodes where the risk might be good enough. Other than that, Dey B Pillagin Pirates!!
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There are going to be those people and I wouldn't call them a problem, more like "a problem". They're content, a "F around and find out" thing. I enjoy playing the villain, though I know most people in the same boat as me are just cold blooded griefers out to really ruin someone's day full stop. There isn't much distinction between us, and that's why the system exists, for people like me, but it's going to have to be tuned giga tight for the.. OTHERS.
    Yeah... I have 0 interest in playing MMORPGs on servers where gamers consider players to be their content.

Then why are you playing multiplayer games? even without open pvp, aren't players part of the experience/content?
  • Options
    WakakaWakaka Member
    edited July 2023
    It doesnt need to be that tight. Just you getting corruption and making it so you drop gear when you pk is reason enough for me to hunt down anyone whos corupted. Its an ez safe way to get gear/gold. Its gonna be self regulated within the ahses universe im very sure.
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    I'm not on the "Dygz ain't playing lmao" crew. I've decided to be on the "If Dygz wants to eventually give the PvP a shot I would be happy to improve the experience" crew. I'd be in the same exact position as you if there was suddenly opt-in world PvP or just a massive deterrent to overall world PvP via corruption. Just doesnt sound appealing to me.
    I mean, I've already given the Ashes PvP a shot. Both in the Battle Royale and in Alpha 1.
    I will give it a shot again in Alpha 2 and the Betas. But, I'm not going to invest time in playing any of the systems or pursuing progression paths after launch.
    I think lots of current fans would be in the exact same position I'm in if Steven suddenly announced P2W features.

• Options
    Then why are you playing multiplayer games? even without open pvp, aren't players part of the experience/content?
    I disagree.

• Options
    @Dygz

When the lawless open oceans got announced and you came on here saying you weren't going to play I told you I'd join your guild and bodyguard for you when you needed it. I'd be someone's villain at least.

Shoot, half the current community would come to your aid, without a doubt.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member

Yet, that same half just can't accept the subject of their attachment doesn't want to be subjected to their attachment. :D

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    You did...
    "When people try to shove cake down your throat, I will be your bodyguard and shove cake down THEIR throat!!"
    No thanks. I'm not going anywhere near that crap.
  • Options
    @Dygz

When the lawless open oceans got announced and you came on here saying you weren't going to play I told you I'd join your guild and bodyguard for you when you needed it. I'd be someone's villain at least.

Ewww! Aside from maybe, maybe, a streamer, who would want this kind of constant chaperoning?

Personally, I'd feel more like a burden than anything else.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2023
    I disagree.

Then explain?

If you play a multiplayer game, you are playing a game where players are part of that gaming experience or in other words, part of the content.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I don't consider people content.

Moral superiority is a concept that you are adding. That really has nothing to do with my perspective.
    Viewing people as content is what allows gamers to have the view that it's fun to shove cake down people's throat when they aren't in the mood for cake.
    I see players as people; not content.
    If anything, I'm more likely to view "content" as living beings. Which is one of the reasons I'm a Carebear and typically avoid combat as much as possible, even in TT D&D.

I play MMORPGs because I enjoy socializing with other players.
    I also enjoy helping other players to complete quests.
    I also enjoy seeing what fashion choices players have made and how they have built and decorated their homes.

I don't really play MMORPGs for the "gaming" experience.
    I play MMORPGs primarily for the RP experience.

I agree with you that being a carebear is just a playstyle preference.
    But, it's a preference caused by viewing other players and even NPCs as people; rather than as content.
    And caused by viewing mobs as living beings rather than content.
  • Options
    I can try to find a link for this if no one else remembers hearing it, but didn’t Steven say in a video / stream recently that he intends for “non-consensual” PvP in corruption-applied areas of the game to be 2% of a given player’s experience? And that if this isn’t achieved in A2 then they’ll continue to tune corruption to make it so?
  • Options
    Yes. Steven said that recently... where Corruption is active.
  • Options

Moral superiority is a concept that you are adding. That really has nothing to do with my perspective.
    Viewing people as content is what allows gamers to have the view that it's fun to shove cake down people's throat when they aren't in the mood for cake.
    If anything, I'm more likely to view "content" as living beings. Which is one of the reasons I'm a Carebear and typically avoid combat as much as possible, even in TT D&D.

I also enjoy seeing what fashion choices players have made and how they have built and decorated their homes.

But, it's a preference caused by viewing other players and even NPCs as people; rather than as content.

wait now u just destroyed my brain.

if you see npc and monsters as living beings, but you also see players as living beings, why you arent ok when players try to shove cake down ur throat, but ur ok when mobs and npc try to shove cake down ur throat?
    i mean i know i would not consent to a dragon or a chimera to fk my throat, but it happens anyways.

u walk near a monster, and the monster, which you consider a living being, will attack you 100% of the time (please dont say there are mobs that arent aggro as a reply, lets say they r aggro), however, most players that you will walk by wont attack you.

now im confused :D
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    wait now u just destroyed my brain.

if you see npc and monsters as living beings, but you also see players as living beings, why you arent ok when players try to shove cake down ur throat, but ur ok when mobs and npc try to shove cake down ur throat?
    i mean i know i would not consent to a dragon or a chimera to fk my throat, but it happens anyways.

u walk near a monster, and the monster, which you consider a living being, will attack you 100% of the time (please dont say there are mobs that arent aggro as a reply, lets say they r aggro), however, most players that you will walk by wont attack you.

now im confused :D

I don’t want to speak for @Dygz , so correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like he isn’t much interested in chasing down dragons, either, and at the very least, chasing down dragons is optional content *within* a small part of the world. You could argue that seafaring content is also optional content within the world, but you could also argue that seafaring content is a *part* of the world. So rather than being a certain small(ish) zone of the ocean where corruption doesn’t exist (some crazy Bermuda Triangle situation) it’s the entire ocean, more space than all the landmasses in the game. The ocean also isn’t just a dungeon or a world boss lair, it’s home to an entire set of skills and content (ocean treasure hunting, sailing, deep sea fishing, group “PvE” content). I can understand why it would turn him off to the idea of investing in the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Because mobs and NPCs aren't coded to be as greedy and ruthless and tenacious as gamers.
    So, they are Casual Challenge encounters, competition with gamers is a Hardcore Challenge.
    I can stealth past mobs and NPCs in a manner that is typically not possible with actual people.
    I can easily calculate the behavior patterns of mobs and NPCs to avoid combat when I wish to.
    And, if I choose to run, I can be confident mobs and NPCs will have a tether that I can out run.
    Players don't have a tether. They are signifcantly more unpredictable than mobs and NPCs.
    Which means gamers are a Hardcore Challenge.
    Mobs and NPCs comparatively are a Casual Challenge for me. Especially when I can use Stealth to avoid them.
    And - I am a Casual Challenge player.

Even when I am in the mood for PvP combat... that's going to be for a very small portion of my game session. And, when I'm not in the mood for PvP combat, I'm going to rage-quit that server if some player forces me to participate in PvP combat. This is especially true if I've already had my fill of PvP combat for that game session.
    Because that means I've basically had my fill of Hardcore Challenge and I only want to do Casual Challenge stuff for the rest of my game session.
  • Options
    ah got it. makes sense
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Depraved wrote: »
    ah got it. makes sense

lol
  • Options
    Also, my Bartle Score: Explorer 87%; Socializer 73% ; Achiever 47%; Killer 0%
    Lots of people will say the Bartle score is crap. But I think it does great job as a kind of snapshot for my playstyle.

I am an Explorer first and foremost. My primary goal is uncover as much of the map as I possibly can.
    I sometimes spend several hours just swimming around continents.
    Obviously, I like to Socialize.

I consider myself to be a Hardcore Time/Casual Challenge player.
    My interest in killing stuff is not literally 0%, but it's very, very low.
    So, while I enjoy PvP sometimes - it's of minimal interest.

I don't really care about acquiring trophies or rewards on the Open Seas.
    But, I do need to be able to explore the Open Seas without being auto-flagged for FFA PvP.
    If I'm in the Open Seas it would be for the exploration of the unknown; not because I want some uber-treasure or unique opportunity that needs to be counter-weighted by ramped up PvP content. Especially not to auto-consent FFA PvP.

But... I am a Casual Challenge Carebear.
    It's fine with me if Ashes is not the game for me.
    It's too PvP-centric and too Hardcore Challenge for me. (Also, for a few other vocal Casual Challenge players in the TheoryForge/DOP Crew Community)

I think the gamers who love competition will love the changes Steven is making to ramp up adrenaline and foment more conflict will have a blast playing Ashes.
    But, there should be no surprise that the more Hardcore Challenge becomes ubiquitous, the more Casual Challenge players may fall away.
    Which, again, is OK... because he frequently says he's not making the game for everyone.
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023

Percimes wrote: »
    @Dygz

Ewww! Aside from maybe, maybe, a streamer, who would want this kind of constant chaperoning?

Chaperoning? Notice when I said "when you needed it"

I'm not following anyone around all the time, but if he was going to a high risk area and needed some help I'd definitely come help him stay safe.

It's part of playing in a team based, guild oriented always(I'm sorry Narc) on PvP MMO. If someone is so against playing almost the same as how they want to play, and having others who like PvP come aid them so that they can do that.. um.. they can do that? But this is how a very large part of the community will play.

I don't understand it, which is why I said it again. Makes sense to me now though, RPPVP is apparently only for degenerates, crucify us lol.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like there is a time loop going on. I can't help but feel like things keep repeating themselves over and over and over....Am I living groundhog day? 85ub0de6k8sa.png
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    Percimes wrote: »
    @Dygz

Chaperoning? Notice when I said "when you needed it"

I'm not following anyone around all the time, but if he was going to a high risk area and needed some help I'd definitely come help him stay safe.

It's part of playing in a team based, guild oriented always(I'm sorry Narc) on PvP MMO. If someone is so against playing almost the same as how they want to play, and having others who like PvP come aid them so that they can do that.. um.. they can do that? But this is how a very large part of the community will play.

I don't understand it, which is why I said it again. Makes sense to me now though, RPPVP is apparently only for degenerates, crucify us lol.

I am all for RP PVP. UO Europa shard BOC :smiley: We where at war with trinsic and yew!
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023
    Sengarden wrote: »
    I can try to find a link for this if no one else remembers hearing it, but didn’t Steven say in a video / stream recently that he intends for “non-consensual” PvP in corruption-applied areas of the game to be 2% of a given player’s experience? And that if this isn’t achieved in A2 then they’ll continue to tune corruption to make it so?

I said this earlier in the thread, but I think Alpha 2 is an absolutely terrible representation of how the corruption will need to be tuned.

Surely most people that dropped hundreds on an alpha key are there for hype, content and support. Most of the crazies will come after launch.

And I'm sure Intrepid knows this and will still launch with insanely rough penalties on corruption. It's way too hot of a topic dude, even amongst people who have been on the forums for years now, who have one of the more successful Youtube channels regarding AoC and even has done several live QnA with Steven. Who said he's not even going to play because of the griefing...

They will play it very safe instead of being very sorry, anyone who doesn't think so is coping hard.

Steven however did say that much of the servers data is held server side and those "dials" he has will be used to tune the game live. It will absolutely launch tightly tuned and will be adjusted to 2% delicately afterwards.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2023
    Ravicus wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like there is a time loop going on. I can't help but feel like things keep repeating themselves over and over and over....Am I living groundhog day? 85ub0de6k8sa.png

I feel like Dygz is holding a lolipop in front of yall and you keep licking it, and he feels pleased enough with himself to keep talking to you about his other desires.

Aside from this thread being ridiculous as is, the same stuff is filling pages upon pages in other topics as well.
    Imagine being a dev, working on Ashes of Creation, looking for feedback, and you stumble on this guy talking about his "contributions" about a different mmo in the future, that he helps develop "faster".

• Options
    edited July 2023

You claim to not be trying to claim a moral high ground and yet you are saying that I don't view people as people because i like to play pvp games. You being a carebear isn't a problem, it's you being an ass to people who don't share your view that's a problem.

Just because i want to play a game where i compete against other people doesn't i don't see them as people.

I don't want to shove cake in people's face that don't want cake in there face. I want to play a game where i get to shove cake in the face of other like minded individuals.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ravicus wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like there is a time loop going on. I can't help but feel like things keep repeating themselves over and over and over....Am I living groundhog day?

There is 100% pure, unadulterated, space station grade trolling going on around here. Mixed with propaganda that would make Hitler and Stalin blush.

I think at times like this, it's important to remember that Ashes is not for everyone. And that's ok. Because it could be for your mother. beeotch

xwhz1959vr6y.jpg
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023
    You did...
    "When people try to shove cake down your throat, I will be your bodyguard and shove cake down THEIR throat!!"
    No thanks. I'm not going anywhere near that crap.

The point is we're not shoving any cake anywhere, we're both hoping for the combat. I think most PvP'ers dream is for a great fight, a challenge. My hope more than anything in this game, apart from the RMT issue I spam the forums about, or the combat I've brought up twice, is that this game serves a purpose it was intended to server, to join PvE and PvP players together under the umbrella of teamwork.

Logically it should work, but PvE'ers... here's what it's like: A person trying to show them some creature and they're just flipping out, throwing hands in the air screaming "get that fucking thing away from me!". When it's really just a rad little harmless herbivore that almost kind of looks like a spider.

5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    You claim to not be trying to claim a moral high ground and yet you are saying that I don't view people as people because i like to play pvp games.
    Actually, I didn't say that.
    I said I don't view people as content. And I said viewing people as content is what allows gamers to shove cake down people's throat. I didn't say that you are the type of PvPer who shoves cake down people's throat.
    I didn't say that you you are the type of PvPer who forces players to PvP when they are not in the mood for PvP.
    What I did say is that I don't view people as content. I view them as people. Just as I view the mobs and NPCs as living beings.
    That's it.
    I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything about how you view things.

You being a carebear isn't a problem, it's you being an ass to people who don't share your view that's a problem.
    How was I an ass to you?

I don't want to shove cake in people's face that don't want cake in there face. I want to play a game where i get to shove cake in the face of other like minded individuals.
    1: I didn't claim that you were one of the gamers who like to shove cake down other people's faces.
    2: And if you are... that is OK by me. I just don't want to be anywhere near you when you do it.

In my cake analogy - cake = PvP.
    I like cake sometimes. As far as I can tell, you like cake, too. So there is no moral superiority there.