Freeholds are mainly for Processing artisans

The main point of Freeholds is to advance the Processing artisan tree. All the other features are nice adds, but aren't the main point. Is the game design going to deter non-processor mains from buying freeholds? Every player that buys a freehold and doesn't main processing is essentially blocking a processor in the game from advancing.

I mean, if you aren't planning on being a processor, do you really need a freehold anyways?

Comments

• CROW3CROW3 Member
    It’s one use of many.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Growing crops, having a ginormous house, opening a tavern, and opening a fighting arena are just a few examples of what a freehold might be used for that isn't processing. Each is just as valid as any other.
  • Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited July 2023
    Growing crops, having a ginormous house, opening a tavern, and opening a fighting arena are just a few examples of what a freehold might be used for that isn't processing. Each is just as valid as any other.

opening a fighting arena ?
    Is that a feature?
  • Raven016 wrote: »
    Growing crops, having a ginormous house, opening a tavern, and opening a fighting arena are just a few examples of what a freehold might be used for that isn't processing. Each is just as valid as any other.

Is that a feature?

You can do what you like with your space. If you advertise your freehold as a sparring arena, then people will come to spar.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Xeeg wrote: »
    The main point of Freeholds is to advance the Processing artisan tree. All the other features are nice adds, but aren't the main point. Is the game design going to deter non-processor mains from buying freeholds? Every player that buys a freehold and doesn't main processing is essentially blocking a processor in the game from advancing.

I mean, if you aren't planning on being a processor, do you really need a freehold anyways?

Freeholds are now for buying early after power-levelling through the game without seeing any of it, and then selling at a massively inflated price.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited July 2023
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Raven016 wrote: »

Is that a feature?

You can do what you like with your space. If you advertise your freehold as a sparring arena, then people will come to spar.
    I thought you can build an arena.

Then what benefit they get being on a freehold?
    Can they not do it in any node too?
  • PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023
    Xeeg wrote: »

Main reason? Nonononono, the main reason is to be a RPG themed tool to service the PvX MMO aspect of the game.

Non instanced housing is highly desired and has been for a long time(for mostly the PvE aspect it seems), so it's being made scarce mainly to serve as a reason for people to group up to afford one(the MMO aspect), and for people to siege so that they can obtain one if there are none left(the PvP aspect).

It also happens to possess the ability to have amenities that can tie into other systems of the game, that's just a standard part of great game development.

Of those amenities the processing benches, in terms of currency which is closely tied to power, appears to be the most valuable aspect of a freehold to many.

For others the freeholds most valuable aspect is many different things, just a home for immersion or RP, for animal husbandry, farming, a PvP safezone, ect.

But it's main point is as a tool to service the genre/sub-genre of the game. And what a damn great job it's going to do. If you've followed this community well over the past several years you'll noticed there has been a masssssive spike immediately following the freehold showcase. Many new AoC centered Youtube channels. People are stoked about those freeholds
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023
    Freeholds are now for buying early after power-levelling through the game without seeing any of it, and then selling at a massively inflated price.

Damn davey, what a buzzkill
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Xeeg wrote: »

I would say the main intent of them is to be a cog in the risk vs reward wheel by being a main economic interest. I think you are correct that this will be largely from a processing standpoint. At this point I don't see how owning a shop or tavern will generate income for the owner. It might be cool for some to own but if the rise and fall of nodes goes as planned none will be permanent.

I'm not sure how well the housing market will function within game either. The key to successful housing markets is stability and as I mentioned above nodes are not meant to be permanent. Why spend all your gold if in a few weeks you lose your freehold?

A lot of interesting testing is ahead.
    q1nu38cjgq3j.png
  • AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

You could just do that in the woods and save a bunch of time and energy.

Is that a feature?

One of the cosmetic skins for freeholds looked like a fighting arena to me. Also look at:

https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2023-07-01-development-update-with-freehold-preview

The youtube video thumbnail 100% looks like an arena (scroll down for a still). It probably isn't automated and you'd have to do the announcing yourself, though.
  • Ayeveegaming1Ayeveegaming1 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Liniker posted yesterday, or the day before something that caught my eye. In this image they are discussing arenas. Third Red Circle Down. Check this out. f91d9m3sraim.png
    vmw4o7x2etm1.png
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ravicus wrote: »
    @Liniker posted yesterday, or the day before something that caught my eye. In this image they are discussing arenas. Third Red Circle Down. Check this out.

That's not a legitimate post ahah

It's a post making sarcastic suggestions that are absurd - to serve as a counter-argument for the OP being unhappy with the freehold limitations
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • I think it would be pretty cool for Military nodes to be able to build tournament grounds for people to compete in, buy in and winner takes all.
    Obviously there might be an issue with class balancing as it's a rock paper scissors approach not 1v1.
  • Ayeveegaming1Ayeveegaming1 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Liniker wrote: »
    Ravicus wrote: »
    @Liniker posted yesterday, or the day before something that caught my eye. In this image they are discussing arenas. Third Red Circle Down. Check this out.

That's not a legitimate post ahah

It's a post making sarcastic suggestions that are absurd - to serve as a counter-argument for the OP being unhappy with the freehold limitations

Ahhh my bad!! :) Thanks for the clarification.
    vmw4o7x2etm1.png

Is that a feature?

One of the cosmetic skins for freeholds looked like a fighting arena to me. Also look at:

https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2023-07-01-development-update-with-freehold-preview

The youtube video thumbnail 100% looks like an arena (scroll down for a still). It probably isn't automated and you'd have to do the announcing yourself, though.
    Indeed that building is an arena.
    What benefit an arena on a private freehold could bring?

Is that a feature?

Maybe we should not consider freeholds simply as "benefits". I know, I know, it's hard to conceive content from a inefficient angle, not as min/maxing tools, not as "how can I used this to increase the numbers in this chart or this list".
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2023
    FH will make people rich and give them the endgame materials they need for PvP or raiding.

Every competitive group will want to have one.
    People that dont care for crafting will get involved with crafting to get more power.
  • Percimes wrote: »

Is that a feature?

Maybe we should not consider freeholds simply as "benefits". I know, I know, it's hard to conceive content from a inefficient angle, not as min/maxing tools, not as "how can I used this to increase the numbers in this chart or this list".

I actually would like to have a nice looking freehold to apply the skins I have (only one at this time), to make screenshots with it and enjoy being there.
    The freeholds which bring "benefits" should be ugly because those who rush to be rich don't care anyway.
    So the arena on a freehold would be acceptable but then by game rules the owner should still pay taxes to the node. And I would prefer the taxes to be payed as part of whatever the freehold produces and only if the player stays around and does something with the freehold.
    Just owning the freehold because you are rich farming in the ocean, building an arena on it and never visiting the place is not a good game design decision. It could be if everyone would have it and IS would try to sell cosmetics for them (which they do).
  • Give players a high fantasy world and which character archetype do they try to emulate? Saruman.

The old world will burn in the fires of industry; the forests will fall; a new order will rise. We will drive the machine of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fists of the orc. We have only to remove those who oppose us.

Saruman sought power and became corrupted. Big guilds beware!

Many years from now, when Ashes of Creation 2 is about to launch, none will remember the efficient freeholds they've come upon the world, except their own. They will remember the one where the owner planted his crop into a maze leading to the front door of the house. They will remember that funny animal breeder selling pink pop-corn and charging coppers for people to observe the creatures of the mini-zoo in separate pens on the freehold. The ones that give the RP in RPG.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Percimes wrote: »
    Give players a high fantasy world and which character archetype do they try to emulate? Saruman.

The old world will burn in the fires of industry; the forests will fall; a new order will rise. We will drive the machine of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fists of the orc. We have only to remove those who oppose us.

Saruman sought power and became corrupted. Big guilds beware!

Many years from now, when Ashes of Creation 2 is about to launch, none will remember the efficient freeholds they've come upon the world, except their own. They will remember the one where the owner planted his crop into a maze leading to the front door of the house. They will remember that funny animal breeder selling pink pop-corn and charging coppers for people to observe the creatures of the mini-zoo in separate pens on the freehold. The ones that give the RP in RPG.

i remember the big fights in mmorpg, especially for important bosses or castle sieges