Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Voice acting

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
im almost 90% sure i have seen a post saying intrepid dont want to waste money on voice acting, does anyone know if this is still the case? i feel it is such a huge immersive part of games and in 2023 or 2025 when game releases i feel its almost mandatory that we have it, and a big missed opportunity if we don't, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Shoot, Id be okay with just AI generated voice dialog, as long as I don't have to read. Not that I cant, but I cant get immersed in a text only video game.

Like a poor version of a book to me.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2023
    How is it mandatory to waste money on a game in which the lore is just the background for player driven gameplay.

I understand ff14 and eso needing voice acting, since 90% of the gameplay is doing quests for NPCs, but this is not the case in AoC gameplay.

I say no to expensive voice acting and no to cheap voice actors.
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not sure if voice acting and cut scenes are needed in this game. I guess it would be nice however. Maybe just the quest givers. Merchants and such could just say "hello" or something.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I’ll take a good book over mediocre voice acting.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Chicago wrote: »
    im almost 90% sure i have seen a post saying intrepid dont want to waste money on voice acting, does anyone know if this is still the case? i feel it is such a huge immersive part of games and in 2023 or 2025 when game releases i feel its almost mandatory that we have it, and a big missed opportunity if we don't, what are your thoughts?

Good voice acting is time consuming and really expensive. Do we really want that to be something that bloats costs and increases the time needed to release? Not the mention adding to the time between content updates after release?

Maybe after AI becomes better developed?

Bad voice acting is worse, by far, than no voice acting remember.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Like so many other things that pop up as threads here, Intrepid has already commented on their plan.

NPCs will have voice acted audio greetings.[1][2]
    Narrated quest lines are not currently planned for launch.[1] It has been stated that adding voice acting into the game at a later point will be a fairly cosmetic change.[1]
    Certain bosses and creatures will have voice lines along with other audio cues.[3]
    AI voice acting is not currently planned.[4]
    Is it difficult to add voice acting later? No, it's definitely not... It's a fairly cosmetic change.[1] – Steven Sharif
    Voice acting is a fun luxury to have, but it is not only a costly one, but it is also one that takes a lot of logistics.[5] – Steven Sharif
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really do hope they add some text to speech as a disability option though. AI generated or not. Mainly for quests and possibly the journal too. Nothing fancy, just good enough for those that need it.
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Again, because nobody wants to hear this, the AI voice technology is already here. It substantially increases the value brought to playing WoW, and that is going to matter a lot more to first time MMORPG players that AoC will have. Literally all of AoC's competition is looking at implementing this technology, to the point where I would think it would be absolutely shameful for AoC not to have some good AI voice technology when some random, small indie projects might have it.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I’ll take a good book over mediocre voice acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQiLMCWX5CA
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    why is everybody so obsessed with ai @_@
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Depraved wrote: »

That’s exactly the kind of projection I expect from ai. 😳

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options

The "AI Voice" doesn't even really sound that good.
  • Options

That’s exactly the kind of projection I expect from ai. 😳

you got me, im an a....wait no im not
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Goalid wrote: »
    Again, because nobody wants to hear this, the AI voice technology is already here. It substantially increases the value brought to playing WoW, and that is going to matter a lot more to first time MMORPG players that AoC will have. Literally all of AoC's competition is looking at implementing this technology, to the point where I would think it would be absolutely shameful for AoC not to have some good AI voice technology when some random, small indie projects might have it.

I have yet to hear an example of good AI voice acting that didn't sound like complete shit. I've heard the WoW one everyone praises and it sounds ass.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    Again, because nobody wants to hear this, the AI voice technology is already here. It substantially increases the value brought to playing WoW, and that is going to matter a lot more to first time MMORPG players that AoC will have.

the videos I saw about AI voice in wow were terrible, few livestreams I was watching people just turned it off after a while - plus this would be scope creep, so I say no
    Literally all of AoC's competition is looking at implementing this technology, to the point where I would think it would be absolutely shameful for AoC not to have some good AI voice technology when some random, small indie projects might have it.

like who?
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    Again, because nobody wants to hear this, the AI voice technology is already here. It substantially increases the value brought to playing WoW, and that is going to matter a lot more to first time MMORPG players that AoC will have.

the videos I saw about AI voice in wow were terrible, few livestreams I was watching people just turned it off after a while - plus this would be scope creep, so I say no
    Literally all of AoC's competition is looking at implementing this technology, to the point where I would think it would be absolutely shameful for AoC not to have some good AI voice technology when some random, small indie projects might have it.

like who?

you seem to just have a problem with literally everything anyone ever sais lol, also the wow AI voice acting is really not bad at all for a free made addon,
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited July 2023
    After investigating and testing the technology myself, my stance on this has changed. AI voices are much more advanced than I had realized. The program I used for testing is called Play.ht which was recommended. It's free to try and has a subscription option which unlocks hundreds of additional voice options and more editing tools. There's almost a thousand voices to choose from with different accents and languages.

Most of the voice options sound like real people. You can regenerate the voice lines if you don't like the way it sounds and with the subscription version, you can change the tone manually. Examples of different tones are: excited, happy, sad, angry, scared, Shouting, whisper, unfriendly, surprised. Apparently you can even clone people's voices and add them to your library, which is wild!

I wish I could share what I created within only a few hours of messing around with the program, but the file type is not supported. I was blown away by the quality and how easy it was. Anyone who's skeptical about AI voices, I highly recommend going to their homepage and watch the demonstration video.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    you seem to just have a problem with literally everything anyone ever sais lol, also the wow AI voice acting is really not bad at all for a free made addon,

well, It's mostly because I want the game to release before 2030 :D not really a fan of suggestions to add new stuff in a game that was supposed to release 3 years ago and already is very ambitious with so much stuff left to do,

but these suggestions would be great for post-launch! I would def like to see voice acting implemented, I just think now is not the time (and I'm not a fan of AI)
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    There should def be voice acting in main story. And I hope they consider adding voices on NPC's when walking around towns etc. Just hearing NPC's talk in the background, banter, complain, laugh, talking about world events etc.I find it lazy not having that. But that's my opinion.

ESO have done an amazing job on that. World feels ALIVE.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »

well, It's mostly because I want the game to release before 2030 :D not really a fan of suggestions to add new stuff in a game that was supposed to release 3 years ago and already is very ambitious with so much stuff left to do,

but these suggestions would be great for post-launch! I would def like to see voice acting implemented, I just think now is not the time (and I'm not a fan of AI)

you are not wrong here mate, i think nothing new should be being implemented at this stage apart from the things already in game that we have yet to see for example naval combat, something like voice acting could definitely be worked on in tandem with other systems but i do agree lets just get something out first before we worry about new features, i do feel voice acting is such a nice addition to games and really helps immersion, especially if 10 years down the track the player population falls its still nice to be around npcs haha
  • Options
    Perhaps in time AI tools will be like a keyboard or mouse interface where a game developer doesn’t need to sink resources into that and players can enjoy the option of enhanced voice dialogue.

I remember when dreams of VR were the next big thing and after 30 years they are still a bit of a gimmick. AI may be in the same boat, however I think more subtle uses may have the bigger bang for the buck.
  • Options
    There should def be voice acting in main story. And I hope they consider adding voices on NPC's when walking around towns etc. Just hearing NPC's talk in the background, banter, complain, laugh, talking about world events etc.I find it lazy not having that. But that's my opinion.

You'll be hearing actual players doing that. It shouldn't ever feel dead and empty. If it does, open up your Voice Chat and get people talking!
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

You'll be hearing actual players doing that. It shouldn't ever feel dead and empty. If it does, open up your Voice Chat and get people talking!

hmm its not the same and you know this lol, lets be honest, intrepid have made more than enough money selling alpha 1/2 and cosmetics alone to hire someone to do voiceovers for atleast the main quest lines and it adds such a big part of the game i dont think theres any excuse not to
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    daveywavey wrote: »

EWWWW. My voice chat will be off unless I am in a small group. I do not want to hear obnoxious and toxic people cursing, talking politics, arguing, or having bad music playing in the background.

We all know that's what you hear in area voice chats.

I'm good. No thx.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    A modern game should be voiced. But I honestly don't care if its voiced with AI, but it should be voiced. In fact you can do so many neat things with the AI voiced option I'd almost prefer that so they don't have to wait for voice actors to push content.
  • Options
    using IA to replace hiring actual voice actors is a pretty controversial topic, I believe it could be possible but I don't think is worth the risk, it would get tons of bad press and I don't think AoC needs any bad press at the moment, so I would prefer to have regular voice acting, I mean Intrepid studios is not some small indie company with two guys making a game, is a pretty hefty enterprise right now and if you can spare funds to make a multi million dollar game, you should have at least some level of voice acting.
  • Options
    Voeltz wrote: »
    After investigating and testing the technology myself, my stance on this has changed. AI voices are much more advanced than I had realized. The program I used for testing is called Play.ht which was recommended. It's free to try and has a subscription option which unlocks hundreds of additional voice options and more editing tools. There's almost a thousand voices to choose from with different accents and languages.

Most of the voice options sound like real people. You can regenerate the voice lines if you don't like the way it sounds and with the subscription version, you can change the tone manually. Examples of different tones are: excited, happy, sad, angry, scared, Shouting, whisper, unfriendly, surprised. Apparently you can even clone people's voices and add them to your library, which is wild!

I wish I could share what I created within only a few hours of messing around with the program, but the file type is not supported. I was blown away by the quality and how easy it was. Anyone who's skeptical about AI voices, I highly recommend going to their homepage and watch the demonstration video.

I've seen articles saying that using a sample, a AI can now generate speech as if was said by that person.
    I don't know if acting and feelings can also be generated.
    Maybe AoC gets released before the technology becomes mature and commonly used in movies.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    devmage wrote: »
    A modern game should be voiced. But I honestly don't care if its voiced with AI, but it should be voiced. In fact you can do so many neat things with the AI voiced option I'd almost prefer that so they don't have to wait for voice actors to push content.

Most of the cost in voiced content isn’t the actors it’s the sound engineering. It’s expensive, labor intensive, and takes a lot of time.

It’s not where I would choose to throw money at this point in Ashes’ lifecycle.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NuubNuub Member
    I fully support the use of AI for NPC interactions, huge plus if we can talk to them.
  • Options
    devmage wrote: »

Most of the cost in voiced content isn’t the actors it’s the sound engineering. It’s expensive, labor intensive, and takes a lot of time.

It’s not where I would choose to throw money at this point in Ashes’ lifecycle.

Honestly mate they have said there are 100,000 plus signed up to A2 thats pushing 30m$ in just a2 pre sales before cosmetics, im sure they have money to "throw" at voice acting