The content that I have never seen in a mmo.

BlyzBlyz Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
One thing that super stands out in my mind which could be a large content type of update is world-level single (or perhaps a set) drop items in a variety like weapons trinkets and armor. I know there's mount drops from bosses, but what I mean is too make the world items like monsters, you can find uber-rare monster and obtain an uber-rare world item in its fashion, with harder fight's that could entail a small group needing to complete it and a fashioned item drop in respect to the monster that rolled the extremely rare modifier. These items could be added seasonally and limited in total with the added "can roll what the dev has put" as it's unique modifier pool, and simply drops named in some unique way to identify its item class as world-level. If the devs decided to add unique items this would be the best way to make it happen I think, and it would drive an entire market of people attempting to say put a set together or collect uniquely rolled items.

This would be a really cool way of limiting and also controlling the output of new high powered items. It gives the dev's more control in the items quantities and gives them the ability to add modifiers to items that you can only find on that item or in that item's group. The items would roll from the pool and get a name. Or on the flip side it's 100% predetermined stats drop in sets as monsters are farmed at X number of monster spawn's of that monster type, then the high powered version of that monster appears. It could drive farming and playtime really high based on people wanting to find an uber rare monster item. I also like the sadistic idea of making one of the monsters so hard you need your whole guild to fight it like a world boss.

TL:DR
Make unique monsters drop unique items and make the items limited but high power and world-level.

Comments

• DepravedDepraved Member, Alpha Two
    ive seen this before and it isnt that great, specially in a mmorpg where you need to pvp with other players. if you make high power items that many can have, and no one can ever get again after a season, people will never catch up to them. the next season, they wont get the new powerful items since the people who got the items the previous season will kill them all and get the new ones.

and nerfing them will really piss people off

for cosmetics or things that dont disrupt the balance of the game, then yeah sure thats fine.
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member, Alpha Two
    Depraved wrote: »
    ive seen this before and it isnt that great, specially in a mmorpg where you need to pvp with other players. if you make high power items that many can have, and no one can ever get again after a season, people will never catch up to them. the next season, they wont get the new powerful items since the people who got the items the previous season will kill them all and get the new ones.

and nerfing them will really piss people off

for cosmetics or things that dont disrupt the balance of the game, then yeah sure thats fine.

And eventually people complain that there haven't been enough new ones released, so they release more which have to be better than the last ones cos they're newer, and then people complain that they want more, and so more get released which have to be better than the last ones cos they're newer, and eventually there's a HUUUUUUUGE power imbalance cos all the newer gear is so ridiculously overpowered that all the existing content becomes irrelevant.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member, Alpha Two
    edited August 2023
    I dont mind unique powerful items dropping however they realy need to have a timer before they disappear (maybe turn into a trophies for your house when timer is up) other wise people will just stick them in the bank and never bring them out.
    the other option is to make them drop on death and not be repairable so they shift hands often however then you will get people sticking in there bank and never bringing them out :P
  • CawwCaww Member, Alpha Two
    me-only items don't really promote a sense of combined group effort for drops
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    edited August 2023
    Powerful gear should be crafted, rather than dropped from bosses.
  • TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member, Alpha Two
    Caww wrote: »
    me-only items don't really promote a sense of combined group effort for drops

It also doesn't sounds like innovative content.

The OP's idea just sounds like world-bosses to me, and we're already going to have those. Sometimes, they may drop "Legendary" items that are 1/server - but to my understanding, these will largely just be cosmetic.

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha Two
    TheNode wrote: »
    TL:DR
    Make unique monsters drop unique items and make the items limited but high power and world-level.

Counter-proposal; don't do this.
  • Ayeveegaming1Ayeveegaming1 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    I think it was stated that World bosses, or maybe even dungeon bosses have the chance to drop rare weapons. These weapons can be broken down to recipe blueprints for crafters.
    vmw4o7x2etm1.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    Legendary equipment can be dropped from Legendary World Bosses, but...
    It's supposed to be at least a Raid necessary to defeat Legendary World Bosses; not merely a small group.
  • BlyzBlyz Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    Yea I guess the logic can be a little shifty seeming but I think personally if the items are randomized heavily enough in drop rates and are attached too every base game mob group then its more of a lottery when you and your guild mates are farming x mob you may get the mob fashioned item.

I think these items could extend out of raw combat use scenarios easily and you could make them more commonly this way. Things like gather rate or production value of goods could be part of the modifiers.

Or simply don't make mob fashioned items and keep it like every other game. I don't think its always a matter of "it has to be this way" I just like the idea of an item class which bases its appearance and rolls uniquely toward what the mob you killed was like. They could even be re-dropped if you take the "world-item" part out and keep the base concept.
    Yes. I hope the stuff that drops from mobs resembles the mobs.
    Rather than Wolves eating Shields and Plate Mail.
  • BlyzBlyz Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    edited September 9
    I forgot about this post. I think some people misunderstood what I meant, and also I am guilty of bad grammar so it's understandable. I think the current standard for mmo's uses very minimal "fashioned" gear. Also part of what I mean is that these fashioned drops could be rare or a supplement to the monsters "normal drops". (I did say single drop though I was more leaning toward set's that aren't and kind of just slipped my mind when I left that in.) By "world item" I meant something that drops from a "world boss" and would not be considered part of the worlds normal drop pools rather a separate rare table. And to classify the item as a world drop simply put some type of functional lore button that explains things related to the item.

I'm sure they have a rare table of drops already in some form or drops which are distinctly less common, my point is why not make the items have more lore in appearance and functionality, and even a step further make monster mobs sometimes contain alpha monsters which are like lower level forms of world bosses with similarly fashioned drops (maybe normal monsters could also drop these items but perhaps at very limited rates comparatively).

This by no means will make or break ashes I just always wanted to see this in a mmo.