Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The best armor design in a game IMO

I just wanted to mention, that imo For Honor is a great example for great armor/weapon design and individuality.
Also the armors actually feel heavy and move a lot during fights in addition to their amazing sound feedback/design.

If ashes had similar armor design quality it would be a huge progress.
In for honor its just awesome colouring/chosing from different arts and materials to make the look perfectly individual and satisfying.

Also having so many different pieces to chose from that you progressively unlock.

Kind of like a second character creator, but you actually see the difference, because the body is mostly fully covered by armor.

y29bx41ty994.jpeg

INCREDEBILIS

Comments

• Options
    Julixim wrote: »
    I just wanted to mention, that imo For Honor is a great example for great armor/weapon design and individuality.
    Also the armors actually feel heavy and move a lot during fights in addition to their amazing sound feedback/design.

In for honor its just awesome colouring/chosing from different arts and materials to make the look perfectly individual and satisfying.

Also having so many different pieces to chose from that you progressively unlock.

Kind of like a second character creator, but you actually see the difference, because the body is mostly fully covered by armor.

y29bx41ty994.jpeg

INCREDEBILIS

This looks like a Centurion armor ) But I like it.
  • Options
    I want to add that I noticed the cape animation in the wind during the node preview stream I believe.

The way it interacts with the world I thought was really gorgeous, coming from WoW I absolutely HATE their method of literally adding 2D armor on top of the character skin model if it makes sense.

3D armor that actually interacts with the world (and robes that don't literally delete 90% of your character) is where it's at.
    787m8dm96z5g.gif
  • Options
    Seen a lot of AI art of what it thinks modern Romen armor would look like and it is badass.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    The best armor design is from L2, the heavy plate navy blue Armor of Doom, on my avatar.
  • Options
    HartassenHartassen Member
    edited September 2023
    The best armor design is from L2, the heavy plate navy blue Armor of Doom, on my avatar.

Armor of doom was brown or goldish, you're thinking of the blue wolf set.
  • Options
    y29bx41ty994.jpeg

That looks a LOT like the Armor that " Mister Mayor " wore in his last Video inside a City/Village Node. ;)

Kinda the bit more "swanky"(lol) kind of Armor, that shows that a Person is of higher Rank than for Example all those City Guards who look probably a lot more plain with their Armor, than the Person wearing something like this. Especially with the crested Helmet.

The best Armor possible i imagine as something like a mix between Chainmail and Plate. Plate of Course for the "straight" Surfaces of the Body - and Chainmail covering Places like the inside of the Knee's, Armpits, maybe Elbows and upper Arm ... ... ... Thighs/upper Legs ... ...

With JUST enough Room and "Freedom" that Person can move more or less unhindered.

Goodlooking Armor ? Would be nice, but i think Efficiency is always Priority Number One.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2023
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    y29bx41ty994.jpeg

That looks a LOT like the Armor that " Mister Mayor " wore in his last Video inside a City/Village Node. ;)

Kinda the bit more "swanky"(lol) kind of Armor, that shows that a Person is of higher Rank than for Example all those City Guards who look probably a lot more plain with their Armor, than the Person wearing something like this. Especially with the crested Helmet.

The best Armor possible i imagine as something like a mix between Chainmail and Plate. Plate of Course for the "straight" Surfaces of the Body - and Chainmail covering Places like the inside of the Knee's, Armpits, maybe Elbows and upper Arm ... ... ... Thighs/upper Legs ... ...

With JUST enough Room and "Freedom" that Person can move more or less unhindered.

Goodlooking Armor ? Would be nice, but i think Efficiency is always Priority Number One.

Kind of like Cataphract Armour.

2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Hartassen wrote: »

No mate.
  • Options
    RitchieSHRitchieSH Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

y29bx41ty994.jpeg

INCREDEBILIS

I always enjoy games that let you pick the material of the armor to give it an even more customized feel. But I unfortunately don't see that happening here
    Subscribe to RitchieSH. You know you want to
  • Options
    edited September 2023

No mate.

You're wrong, just look it up.

edit:

Added better pictures 2 posts down, these were not good.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

No mate.

In fact, let me do it for you:

https://l2.wiki/essence/wiki/items/armor-sets/en#rok1

https://l2.wiki/essence/wiki/items/armor-sets/en#volk1

Either way, they both look like shit.

Nostalgia is well known for causing selective blindness.
  • Options

No mate.

That has to be the worst armour display possible. What's with the gravitational squeezes?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Neurath wrote: »

No mate.

That has to be the worst armour display possible. What's with the gravitational squeezes?

I just quickly googled to show him he got the colors backwards. But sure I'll add better pictures

Human Male Heavy Doom Armor
    kna0dik2uawr.jpg

Human Male Heavy Blue Wolf Armor
    sz89pbbjph3p.jpg
    This is from a game that came out in 2003. No game had textures and models of this quality, this is like 10 years ahead of it's time.
    Noaani wrote: »

Still think so?

• Options
    Okay cool. I prefer the first one. I don't like the big shoulders on the wolf set.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I haven't read the entire thread, but it warrants mentioning that L2 had special visuals per race and per character type (mage/fighter) on each armor item. So each armor looked quite different on different classes. Dark elves were my favorite, cause they had "wings".
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I am not gonna go full nerd and list every color and which area can be found on the armor, but surely you can see the navy blue fabric on pants, arms and colar.
    Surely you remember how it looked on D elves.
    It's not a brown armor, nor am I confused with BW, otherwise my avatar would be with BW.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2023
    Noaani wrote: »

Still think so?

Yes.

The brown one just looks bad, and the blue ones pauldrons are comically oversized, which is a stylistic choice I absolutely hate.

There is something wrong with both chest pieces that makes it look as if it is a suit of armor with a disembodied head sitting on top.

Edit to add; the blue one look ok from around the nipple line down.
  • Options
    I am not gonna go full nerd and list every color and which area can be found on the armor, but surely you can see the navy blue fabric on pants, arms and colar.
    Surely you remember how it looked on D elves.
    It's not a brown armor, nor am I confused with BW, otherwise my avatar would be with BW.

The armor still isn't navy blue as you claim it is "The best armor design is from L2, the heavy plate navy blue Armor of Doom". Yes it has some fabric under it that's navy blue but the actual armor itself has no navy blue parts. 80% of the armor has the brown/gold brown tone. It's like calling the blue wolf set black cause of the chainmail under it, I can't help but laugh at that comparison.

Either way you do you, agree to disagree.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Mate I cant help but laugh at the effort you put in this whole thing, but despite that, you overlooked my avatar when you said "you must be confused".
    Agree to disagree
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Mate I cant help but laugh at the effort you put in this whole thing, but despit that you overlooked my avatar when you said "you must be confused".
    Agree to disagree

Didn't overlook your avatar, just assumed you were one of the people who thought the vast majority of an armor is what constitutes it, not the minority of it.