Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Leveling Speed

Wiki says the following:

On release the developers anticipate max level should be attainable in approximately 45 days if playing 4-6 hours per day.

This is equal to ~225 hours to reach level 50. What is your opinion about it? Would you like it to be faster or slower?
n8ohfjz3mtqg.png

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited February 15
    Slower
  • Options
    I would generally like a slow level speed. Although, if they do come through on all the vertical progression and the - really freaking awesome!, world they wanna make, then leveling speed will be less important. But I am a huge fan of the old EQ1 leveling times. It should take a long time, as long as there is stuff to do while leveling. Every cool thing should not come after max level, it should come along the way.
  • Options
    Agree with gentlemen above
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Slower, I'm not gonna lie I will be playing at least 10 hour sessions and I'm sure some will be far exceeding that. I want it to really feel like a accomplishment when I get there.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured
  • Options
    FlankerFlanker Member
    edited February 15
    ILLPeonU wrote: »
    Slower, I'm not gonna lie I will be playing at least 10 hour sessions and I'm sure some will be far exceeding that. I want it to really feel like a accomplishment when I get there.

Only 10-hour long sessions? You are what... 97 years old? Your enemies are grinding while you sleep, you can't let that happen. No less than 20 hours per day, that's an order!
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    I would generally like a slow level speed. Althoui

Shit. I will probably use a weeks vacation, a couple of days after launch.
  • Options
    Saabynator wrote: »
    I would generally like a slow level speed. Althoui

Shit. I will probably use a weeks vacation, a couple of days after launch.

oh for sure , at least a week. Probably best like you said to do that like a week after launch, just in case of hiccups.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    Flanker wrote: »

Only 10-hour long sessions? You are what... 97 years old? Your enemies are grinding while you sleep, you can't let that happen. No less than 20 hours per day, that's an order!

Lol not 97, but a old fart none the less at almost 52. Consistency will win in the long run, as a friend of my always refers to it as "Old Bull" When people burn themselves out, and move to the next game I'll keep chugging along making my mark in Verra!

7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    Lol not 97, but a old fart none the less at almost 52. Consistency will win in the long run, as a friend of my always refers to it as "Old Bull" When people burn themselves out, and move to the next game I'll keep chugging along making my mark in Verra!

Haha sounds like a plan!
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Slower...once release date is known, I will give my notice at work.
  • Options
    Slower.

I think a lot of players are seeing Ashes as the game that will restore their faith in well... games. And so intend to maximise it's value and enjoy every moment. And the longer that takes, the better.
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    AnimusRex wrote: »
    Slower.

I think a lot of players are seeing Ashes as the game that will restore their faith in well... games. And so intend to maximise it's value and enjoy every moment. And the longer that takes, the better.

Not only that, but it will give them a bit more time to keep adding content, and start to see problems arise as people start to reach max level in waves due the slower progression. when the first group of try hards reach max level, they will start to see any issues that might arise, better to have that happen with a smaller group of players then over 50% reaching max level near the same time.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    Flanker wrote: »
    Wiki says the following:

On release the developers anticipate max level should be attainable in approximately 45 days if playing 4-6 hours per day.

This is equal to ~225 hours to reach level 50. What is your opinion about it? Would you like it to be faster or slower?

Maybe it is not wrong to double the Time or do it a bit below double the time.
    Like Eighty to Ninety Days, instead of Fourty-Five.

Levelling a Character - especially for the first time - in a completely new and fresh World - should be an Experience that sticks with You.

And People should take it somewhat serious if they want to level more than one Character. ;) But only my own fifty Cents here. :)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Slower.

Not only that, but it will give them a bit more time to keep adding content, and start to see problems arise as people start to reach max level in waves due the slower progression. when the first group of try hards reach max level, they will start to see any issues that might arise, better to have that happen with a smaller group of players then over 50% reaching max level near the same time.

Additionally, there are always those continuous arguments about "getting to the max level asap" and "paying more attention to exploration/quests/etc.". In my opinion, slower progression may be one of the solutions for this.

Take New World as an example. On launch, you could reach max level in several days (at least that's what it took for me). Reading quest dialogues, exploring other location and stuff like that could be fun, but it was counter-productive because this will basically disqualify you from participating in wars/invasions.
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you reduced the power given by levels and allowed players to participate in content as combatants at lower levels then I'm fine with having a long leveling experience, I might even prefer it. I don't enjoy having to grind for months to be able to play the game and with the trend of adding leveling boosts to MMOs, it's clear that gating content (usually endgame content) behind leveling in MMOs has issues.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Still too fast
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 15
    Make levelling twice as long and I would be happy.

However, there is a balance to strike for the overall health and well-being of the game. If it takes the casual players a full calendar year to hit 50, that also means fewer players focusing on more end-gamey things, and that will suck for the more time-hardcore players, because the game needs a lot of players at or near 50 to really shine I think. And there is the whole issue with some players getting too far ahead in the gear, freehold. etc. departments. We'll lose the casuals if they feel they'll never be able to catch up. No casuals = dead game.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes doesn't really have "end-gamey" things.
    You do the same stuff at Level 1 that you do at Level 50.
  • Options
    The level should be in accordance with the amount of lore there is and also the new expansions, which intrepid will also increase the level, but I also like it slower, since I had an unpleasant experience with NW on this topic.
  • Options
    Sauronplay wrote: »
    I had an unpleasant experience with NW on this topic.
    I can relate to that
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    As most have said above, slower :)
  • Options
    edited February 15
    I mean... new expansions is kind of an archaic concept.
    Ashes is designed to provide significant new content as the Nodes rise and fall and as different races control Nodes and as different Social Orgs or Religions gain prominence.
    In addition to new content dropped every 3 or 4 months.

Also...max Adventurer Level is not necessarily more important than Node progression.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 15
    Dygz wrote: »
    Ashes doesn't really have "end-gamey" things.
    You do the same stuff at Level 1 that you do at Level 50.

No. You don't do world bosses, sieges, caravan pvp, node wars, major naval content, high end crafting and gathering at level 1.
  • Options
    LeonerdoLeonerdo Member
    edited February 15
    If it's backloaded, like the last 10 levels take 100 hours, then yeah it's fine. I just don't want leveling to be so slow that I'm stuck with baby-mode gameplay (5 skills and a lot of downtime) for hundreds of hours.
  • Options
    edited February 16
    Nerror wrote: »
    No. You don't do world bosses, sieges, caravan pvp, node wars, major naval content, high end crafting and gathering at level 1.
    In Ashes, people do.
    I dunno what you think "high end" is during points of time when there are no "high end" Nodes.
    Ashes is Open World. There is nothing gating people from participating in those activities at Level 1.
  • Options
    CadacCadac Member
    edited February 16
    You start freeholds at 50, so there is that. Some things are Node level gated it like harbors for naval access at lvl3 if the Node can have one.
  • Options
    Owning a Freehold starts at 50, sure.
    There's stuff Level 1 characters can do on a Freehold.
  • Options
    Slower.

Without being too dramatic.... If AoC fails as an MMORPG, I think we can write off the MMORPG genre, more or less. It will jump to hasty developed games, lack of content - all that bad shit.
    But! If AoC becomes a success, we can hope that other developers wise up and see that developing a good game, is a better business model. One can hope!

Normally I am pretty sceptical. But Steven pretty much convinced me, that they were developing a good product, back when you could buy the packs. This is the first time I have followed a game development like this. Monthly updates and the like - very awesome.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Nerror wrote: »
    In Ashes, do.
    I dunno what you think "high end" is during points of time when there are no "high end" Nodes.
    Ashes is Open World. There is nothing gating people from participating in those activities at Level 1.

I would think there is high level places. How else would level 50 get to do stuff, if everywhere is the same? There needs to be high level areas and those areas would be near or in node territory, wouldnt it?
  • Options
    I remember original Guild Wars taking ages to reach max level, and currently in ESO you can do it in under 2hrs.

45 days is probably about right.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/