Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Active blocking

So the Q&A today said that active blocking would be different depending on what gear your holding. Example: shield vs sigil.

So, again, will mage/tanks be able to tank? I'm still hoping for these flavors of combos to be possible.

Comments

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's kind of as he said about fighter tank, you will get augments that improve your aggro generation and might allow you to tank in some scenarios but you aren't really a main tank.

What he said was also class-agnostic so it doesn't add any support to the idea of a mage/tank tanking. Mages were already able to use shields and tanks are going to be able to use sigils.
  • Options
    I imagine a capable Tank one or several People cast a few Shield-Spells onto as amazingly durable.

Probably able to tank even a Dragon for a short while. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We now have AMA information that the 'Universal Skilltree' handles things like Active Blocking, Roll, Dodge, etc, and the current direction is for these to all use stamina.

Strong implication (if not outright confirmation) that you will be somewhat choosing to spec into these as a choice relative to your Archetype skilltrees (basically, they use the same point pool, if you get good at Universal Dodge, you paid something in your Archetypal Kit).

Probably no Archetype-specific hard-defined synergies. MOBA players should expect the usual considerations, basically. Choose shield things if you have a style that is good at shield things, regardless of your Archetype. You might have more or less difficulty 'being good at shield things' based on your Archetype, or how you gear for Stamina, etc, but the build consideration is basically 'on you', to craft your ideal and get it right.

Additional Universal Skilltree information may be available in the coming months.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Mage/Tanks can off-tank, but they will not replace the need for a Primary Archetype Tank in an 8-person group.
    Because Ashes is balanced for an 8-person group with one of each Primary Archetype.
  • Options
    Active blocking has been tried a number of times in MMOs. Likely one of the closest games to making it work was Age of Conan.

Though, the big stumbling blocks has been lag issues and how active blocking calculations is hard server hardware.
  • Options
    edited May 11
    So we will have a stam bar and mag bar? ESO? I'm with it. Hopefully you'll be able to put points into your stamina so you can sprint for a longer time. I like high mobility.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    SoSpokeMikaSoSpokeMika Member
    edited May 11
    Something tells me mage/Tank can off-tank and Tank/Mage can straight up tank without issues.

It seems to me that primary archetype is the most important choice when it comes to picking your class.
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited May 11
    So the Q&A today said that active blocking would be different depending on what gear your holding. Example: shield vs sigil.

So, again, will mage/tanks be able to tank? I'm still hoping for these flavors of combos to be possible.
    Sigil gives you a magical block. Curious to see if that uses stamina as well.
  • Options
    Voeltz wrote: »

Sigil gives you a magical block. Curious to see if that uses stamina as well.

One of the things I liked about New World was the ice gauntlet block. It has a trait that let you use Mana instead of stamina to block. The downside is it only worked on melee and not ranged.
    Early in the game I fell off the wall defending a node and was able to occupy 3 melee enemies who tried to wail on me as I blocked with my gauntlet then turned into an ice block to regenerate mana, helping to gain the numbers advantage.
    This became less useful as marksmen started to realize they can shoot right through it.

Good trade off, in my opinion, and made the ice gauntlet useful for main tank players like I was in that game. (Shield for stamina, ice gauntlet situationally better for melee)