Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Direction of Mage Class

2»

Comments

• Options
    GodawfulGodawful Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    9000 hours is 375 days…
  • Options
    Godawful wrote: »
    9000 hours is 375 days…
    Leave me alone :joy: Most of those were in my early and mid 20s. I'm 33 today, my work takes up all my time now :tired_face:
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Make a spell that teleports all beings within a certain radius around the caster! This includes both allies and enemies, players and NPCs alike. The mage would need to strategically position themselves within a group of people or monsters and then cast the spell, teleporting everyone in that vicinity along with them.

Blink into danger, comeback with whoever was over there, could be used to rescue or for kidnapping.
    This spell would have significant risks for the mage, he would have to go in there, cast the spell and come back aka "booshing".

Tricky, dangerous, deadly for users and targets.

Basically like the Mesmer portal spell in GW2 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orTKU3bV4Ow
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    Pyrolol wrote: »
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Make a spell that teleports all beings within a certain radius around the caster! This includes both allies and enemies, players and NPCs alike. The mage would need to strategically position themselves within a group of people or monsters and then cast the spell, teleporting everyone in that vicinity along with them.

Blink into danger, comeback with whoever was over there, could be used to rescue or for kidnapping.
    This spell would have significant risks for the mage, he would have to go in there, cast the spell and come back aka "booshing".

Tricky, dangerous, deadly for users and targets.

If we simplify it, so it doesn’t become a chaos of players teleporting everywhere and being really annoying and lame gameplay

Give a talent to Mage where blink causes an aoe damage where you teleport to and then re activate to go back to where you blinked from but without the aoe

Means you have turned blink from a defensive escape move into a deadly finisher, initiate ability
    I like that idea. Though, I would make it so when the mage blinks, the area the mage leave is AOE ice mage that temporarily freezes the nearby targets in place, when the mage returns, where the mage was would get a freeze AOE. This would make for good snares and distance makers, while allowing for other options after doing so.

• Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 28
    edited.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Watching this Warrior showcase. My opinion still stands. Warrior and Ranger now looks amazing and has it's own signature style.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    VFX

First I will start by saying that I think that the VFXs are not as important as the gameplay of the class itself. That said I think the effects are okay, nothing too pleasing or interesting looking but also not cluttering the screen. For example, Dragons Dogma 2 has some great VFX for spells (especially the ice one don't remember the name right now), but if the Effects get too large scale and too dense that can make it nearly impossible to navigate the game in large battles. I am not saying that there shouldn't be maybe some spells that obscure vision but I am not sure if all the spells should have complex and large VFX structures.

SPELLS/ABILITIES

Yeah, I think the sleep spell looks boring and the animation lock makes it a spell I am not sure if I would want to use it because it locks you in place for so so long which I think many games do to mages, they give them some spells and than Anker them in place but I don't get why, it makes sense for big dmg AOE spells but other than that I believe you should never lock a player in place for anything it just takes away from interactions and makes the fighting less fun, more stagnant and overall very annoying. Maybe it could be made so that there is a stat that allows you to move faster when casting or makes it so that at a certain point you are not locked in place anymore. I saw someone talk about a concentration stat, which could be utilized for this. This could also help with progressing in the class, as a beginner you still have to heavily focus on spells to cast them, but after some time you get so used to using it in battle that moving at regular speeds while casting is not impossible.

You could also tie in a proficiency with skills, that the more you use them the easier it is to cast them in certain situations or something like that.

Another thing is I am not sure if Blizard should be a hold skill if it does not cc (soft to hard cc like at first it does not slow, then a slightly slow, and if the enemy does not get out of its range it gets slower and slower until the enemy gets frozen) enemies, I think it also would be better if you cast it and it just stayed in that place where you casted it. I also would love to see some other group defensive spells like a a wall of ice that blocks a certain amount of damage in that direction or something like that.

I also love the spells: Arcane Eye, Blink (Can still be improved but I think that should be part of augments or the 2nd Class) and Arcane Volley looked interesting.

COMBOS

Next up is the combo system it is just boring, of course it is nice that you can deal a bit more damage by switching elements but what if you just want to use one element? You get nothing...
    At least for now, I think we know of no upsides to specializing in just one element which makes it look like you either go with multiple elements or you are worse off, which is not what I think it should be.
    On another note, I would have loved elemental interactions more if they also had overworld effects and spells/projectiles could collide, for example, there is the potential Magma Field spell, now someone casts Blizzard while in it, it would be cool if it would create steam, and I also think it would have been more interesting if you could combine different elements with spells, like how it works in Magicka 2. Combo and combinations of spells should be a complex science that every mage should explore.

Equipment

Equipment is something interesting because I think the game that did this best was Noita with its staff system, something like that would be cool to have for mages where they can engrave maybe runes or use certain materials to make equipment do different things.

CONCLUSIONS

I think my main point is versatility and mobility, using combos for creating more new and complex spells instead of just a status effect is what I think would be way cooler. Of course, it is not without its problems but I think there is a healthy middle ground that can be reached.

In the end, I will have to wait and see how the combat in AOC feels to say if I like the mage overall but just from the showcases it doesn't look right to me.
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member

VFX

SPELLS/ABILITIES

Yeah, I think the sleep spell looks boring and the animation lock makes it a spell I am not sure if I would want to use it because it locks you in place for so so long which I think many games do to mages, they give them some spells and than Anker them in place but I don't get why, it makes sense for big dmg AOE spells but other than that I believe you should never lock a player in place for anything it just takes away from interactions and makes the fighting less fun, more stagnant and overall very annoying. Maybe it could be made so that there is a stat that allows you to move faster when casting or makes it so that at a certain point you are not locked in place anymore. I saw someone talk about a concentration stat, which could be utilized for this. This could also help with progressing in the class, as a beginner you still have to heavily focus on spells to cast them, but after some time you get so used to using it in battle that moving at regular speeds while casting is not impossible.

No matter how many games I play that have a mage type class, my favourite CC will always be the polymorph

rpg8gkahgdew.gif
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    Watching this Warrior showcase. My opinion still stands. Warrior and Ranger now looks amazing and has it's own signature style.

It is interesting how each DPS class has their own stance/form mechanic. For the mage it is the elements they are throwing out, for the ranger its marks/hunts, and the fighter it is forms. It makes me wonder if ever DPS class will have a stance mechanic and they must know when each stance is most useful.
  • Options
    Pyrolol wrote: »
    VFX

SPELLS/ABILITIES

No matter how many games I play that have a mage type class, my favourite CC will always be the polymorph

rpg8gkahgdew.gif

It definitely is a fun cc
  • Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As someone that plays mage in most single player, and multiplayer games, and likely to play some form of caster job here.

I think BDO has it right, between Wizard/Witch, and the Base sorceress job.
    Good mobility with blinks, teleports.
    Fast casting spammable mid damage spells that must be aimed
    Slow casting, mega spells that can be comboed into sometimes for faster casts
    A High risk, High reward melee range ability.

Self heals for sustainable farming, and if you escape you can slowly heal up, and regenerate your HP/MP while dodging/keeping distance to reset encounter.

TLDR: High APM job, lower on defenses, however has the ability to kite, escape, reset from any situation that isnt a one shot or stunlock, so long as the player has a strong knowledge of the enemy.

What do I specifically not want?
    A stationary, high damage glass canon, with no mobility or tools to respond to situations with.
  • Options
    Taerrik wrote: »
    What do I specifically not want?
    A stationary, high damage glass canon, with no mobility or tools to respond to situations with.

I think Mage and Rogue will be the most interested Classes of Tester in Alpha Two, next to Clerics and Bards.

Fighter and Tank are awesome, but i think they are already kinda known by now. Hunter as well. Summoner will be the secret Gift that doesn't keep giving until the last Weeks before Alpha Two or first in Alpha Two in the first place.
    a50whcz343yn.png