Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

fighter abilities graphics

I want to state this as clear as I can.
The fighter abilities are fine I'm not criticizing the abilities.
The graphics that display these abilities however are too crazy and overblown, it takes away from the game play when you have graphics that look so preposterous. So all I'm saying is tone down the ability graphics, one of the things that killed black desert was the graphics in that game are so overblown it wasn't even interesting.

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Kinda agree.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited April 2
    Comparing it to bdo and saying its crazy and overblown sounds like a bit of a stretch imo. Im sure they will dial it in and we are seeing the highest level of the effect, there will be ways to turn down vfx for people that want to see very minimal.

a2trgeeglo0q.png
    u9eoc9nmc41i.png

4bfjvlydg3bl.png
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Disagree.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Disagree here. Most Warrior skills fx are in a good spot. There are only a few skills with large effects, but they have a longer cooldown.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Someone says that every time they demo Active Skills.
    :D
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited April 5
    I don't mind the red vfx that's on the maime projectile and exert, but the rest of it was excessive. Skills like leap strike cataclysm and rupture are just overboard. The yellow glow on the character and attacks just looks bad and out of place for a fighter class. Would be better on a Healer or Paladin. My suggestion from the original melee basic attacks showcase years ago was to use the silver tint that was on the daggers. Now it's on the 2 handed sword basic attacks as well, but I would also like to see it on the abilities as well plus some with red like rupture, maime, exert etc. would look far better. Reserve the yellow for the Cleric and Cleric secondary augments.
  • Options
    I didn't find them nearly as BDO-like; AoC's fighter is - thus far - pretty spot-on with where I'd want those animations to be.... With the exception of the one that makes like 3 gallons of blood fly out of the enemy; It's just an unrealistic amount of blood.

However! I did notice that the sword-swings in the demo ended abruptly, a lot. It's like they would go to 80% of the animation, then snap back into starting position. Witnessed this happen a good number of times, in the demo.

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2
    disagree, I think its in a great spot and wouldnt want them to be tunes down at all, boring and bland combat is not fun for me, graphic settings will make people happy with the option to tune things down further
    Jindoshi wrote: »
    , one of the things that killed black desert was the graphics in that game are so overblown it wasn't even interesting.

also, I must say, this statement is.... absurd... graphic effects killed BDO?? you may not like it, I personally am not a fan of the combat style,

but one of the highlights and most praised things about BDO is the combat and visuals... the game today has more players than they ever had, they keep expanding servers and pushing new global events, saying vfx killed it shows a complete lack of knowing what you are talking about... sorry,
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    ....saying vfx killed it shows a complete lack of knowing what you are talking about... sorry,

Have to agree. Tried BDO for a bit, and it certainly wasn't the graphics that let me down. In fact, I was impressed with how their game engine processed high-texture graphics - particularly on armor and clothing.

The one thing I really, REALLY felt that BDO could have done without was the in-game pop-up ads for the cash shop.

Maybe I'll give it a longer, more-enthused go 20 years from now, when the live BDO is dead and fans of it put up an emulator, wherein your IRL wallet won't affect/effect your in-game capacities and fortunes.

• Options
    I thought it looked great.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NepokeNepoke Member
    edited April 3
    I'll also have to go with "kinda agree". Things were mostly fine, but if I have to imagine a fight between 100 people, I'd like the abilities to be slightly subtler still.

However, two abilities should definitely be toned down:

Leap Strike:
    nlnj0x985slq.png
    This is fine, though I'm not sold on the vertical landing.

jv20aniii0zg.png
    Wait what's happening

0ylcpeh9sa3w.png
    Wtf meteorite?

451ttffblqld.png
    Finally lava on the ground.

Unless Leap Strike is supposed to do 50% of the enemy life bar, the impact is way too much for a simple aoe snare. Just a ground effect with dust and some rocks shooting up would be enough. Maybe the current effect would be better suited for a fire augment with burn + knockdown effect.

Cataclysm:

b7rdu04m2hm1.png
    While the explosion is maybe too bright, it's not too big and Cataclysm is supposed to be the big fighter attack, so it's quite fitting.

But I don't like the spike effect:
    gkscbv52szzo.png
    Unless the spikes are meant to be a persistent bleed aoe or something, they are too big and stick around too long. Rather, I'd like a shattered ground effect with some uneven ground. The current effect looks like a ground spike impale more fitting to a mage earth spell.

I also think the blood splatter was a bit much on maim (and on Rupture), but in big pvp it wouldn't be as much of an issue.
    ro3jnyq2qzeg.png
    The horizontal sprays are kind of hilarious in volume, but since they don't go upward they shouldn't block the view too much

So yeah I kind of agree but the showing was much better than I hoped for.
  • Options
    NepokeNepoke Member
    edited April 3
    Liniker wrote: »
    disagree, I think its in a great spot and wouldnt want them to be tunes down at all, boring and bland combat is not fun for me, graphic settings will make people happy with the option to tune things down further
    , one of the things that killed black desert was the graphics in that game are so overblown it wasn't even interesting.

also, I must say, this statement is.... absurd... graphic effects killed BDO?? you may not like it, I personally am not a fan of the combat style,

but one of the highlights and most praised things about BDO is the combat and visuals... the game today has more players than they ever had, they keep expanding servers and pushing new global events, saying vfx killed it shows a complete lack of knowing what you are talking about... sorry,

While I don't think BDO was killed (is it even dead really?) by visuals, and the visuals are indeed a big draw of BDO from what I hear, the effects are very bad for pvp.

Most pvp footage I see on youtube is from players who disable effects from other players. BDO clearly wasn't made with functional large scale pvp in mind, and the visuals are a part of that. What looks nice in pve or in a duel, would look like absolute hell in an Ashes node siege.

Take a peek at this random footage I found when I was searching for things to compare Ashes to.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhqM-GhHSd0&t=429s
    This dude manages to obscure the whole screen multiple times just with his own attack effects.

So while I wouldn't support the original claim, I would definitely not want BDO visuals anywhere near Ashes.
  • Options
    AidanKDAidanKD Member
    I think that when you watch an isolated single person using abilities or a small party then it won't look so crazy. But I remember from A1 all the Harry Potter memes with all the people Wanding mobs in large groups. In A1 there were hardly any abilities and things were miles behind in progress.

I do think that animations have to be designed with large scale combat in mind, given that this game is so group centric and a big pull in this game is some of the large scale combat.

We had the lightning orbs from Mage, and I recall that long cd gap closer with the spikes actually had a nice frame drop in addition to the effects. Of course we will have turning, but scale that up to 10+ Fighters, 10 Mages and other who know whats and it could be quite manic.

I suppose you don't want things too boring because probably 95% of the time spent will be smaller scale, but maybe that's where different animation fidelity options will come into play. But I suppose we have to ask what is an acceptable base line to work with, and max end?

It needs to be visually pleasing, convey the necessary information about what it is and does in an intuitive way without pulling you from immersing yourself in the game.

So i'll say that I agree with the idea that it probably can be toned down, though I have seen some improvement from things LIKE the Mage Showcase; but I can see the Bard being pretty showy!
  • Options
    HybridSRHybridSR Member
    Hard disagree.

They were totally fine and you'll be able to tone them down in options if they're too much for you.
  • Options
    SnowElfSnowElf Member
    Personally, I love having graphics and I think that even if yes, some of the abilities in game are overbearing, I'm sure that there will be options to hone the graphics down in the settings menu. FFXIV allows you to pick and choose when and how much abilities you can see, from yourself or other players when in group content, I'm sure that Intrepid is aware of this and has taken it into consideration.
    I am obsessed with anything magic.

• Options
    Meet in the middle ground and have the FFXIV option to turn off other players graphics besides major abilities or turn off all of them? That way if they are too much you can turn it off for yourself.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    koltovince wrote: »
    Meet in the middle ground and have the FFXIV option to turn off other players graphics besides major abilities or turn off all of them? That way if they are too much you can turn it off for yourself.

Just use low graphics settings that should make it close enough so u dont need to see much vfx
  • Options
    YuliveeYulivee Member
    I want to state this as clear as I can.
    The fighter abilities are fine I'm not criticizing the abilities.
    The graphics that display these abilities however are too crazy and overblown, it takes away from the game play when you have graphics that look so preposterous. So all I'm saying is tone down the ability graphics, one of the things that killed black desert was the graphics in that game are so overblown it wasn't even interesting.

agree
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I also think all the partical effects in the game are to large and over stated. Especially the blood effects. Why a normal amount of blood spatter can't be used. No one has that much blood on their body.

Stuff like this normally gets tuned allot as they test large scale raids and PvP events. Current state won't fair well on large encounters on average PCs.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Two words: alpha testing.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    k3mrak3mra Member
    I already mentioned it in the comments of nyce´s vid.
    i would love a slider for VFX like we have in the game "Soulstone Survivors" that changes the transparancy of spells.
    with that you can have very flashy effects but everyone can turn it down to their preferred level.
  • Options
    SinderSinder Member
    I like the showy effects.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Effects for all classes should be flashier.

1t7km1lnxcf2.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Hinotori wrote: »
    Effects for all classes should be flashier.

1t7km1lnxcf2.gif

That is mid...

Give me some real effects here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaomRSa7ky0
  • Options
    Have to disagree. I think it is the perfect amount of stuff. I like it a bit flashy, if the flash actually show something cool. It has to give away what the ability is. If its just a ton of lights and stars and stuff, like most asian mmos, its too much, but if its decently short and shows whats being used, its good. AoC hit the spot there. I think the mage has too little swagger on their abilities.
  • Options
    Would love to see a setting for opacity on the effects, seems like it'd get way to chaotic with all glow and blood everywhere in like a 5vs5 fight.

• Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    Everytime I see an archetype showcase spell, I think "What is there was 8 people using this spell at the same location at the same time?" Most of the time your screen would just be filled with bright colours.
  • Options
    GarrtokGarrtok Member
    edited April 6
    Agree 100%, all effects are too big and too flashy, like every class until now. It's okay that a mage has more effects, but a normal snare or something of a melee class shouldn't look like it's straight from dragonball