Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is the gamer name you normally use in MMOPRGS and why did you choose it?

Mine is for traveling, I traveled a lot as a child with my father and mother, I understood that travel is not only physical, there are also spiritual and mental journeys. That is why the name Viajero ( traveler ) has always accompanied me.

6sytnja3f5x6.png

EDym4eg.png

Comments

• Options
    HybridSRHybridSR Member
    Hybrid, because of LP's first album
  • Options
    TenguruTenguru Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Tengu was taken, needed something that didn't feel too awkward to say while still being short, and if it rhymed then that'd be better.

So Tengu + Guru became Tenguru
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    All my character names are character-specific, so none of them are ever the same. The only shared name is NiKr, which I use on forums/etc.
  • Options
    Any variant of Koltovince or Kolto. Came up with it since Kolto was used to heal on my main class in SWTOR. And thus I got my name, and stuck with it since my gaming group has called me kolto for 7 years.
  • Options
    Dez. Started out as December (which evolved to Dezember as I changed servers), people called me "Dez" for short and it just made sense.
    And thanks to the nature of the simple name "Dez", I now have many nicknames!
    Dez the Wanderer
    Dezeption
    Dezmerizing
    Eidez (word play on the name Eidys)
    And a ton of Dez-pun names. c:
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Went by Actin for my EQ years. At the time I was studying genetics and molecular biology so that is where the name came from.

That morphed to Dayel for my EQ2 and early WoW years. Books of Shannara of course.

A lot of WoW was played as Maggy because I was a female dwarf mage that looked like a Maggy.

Fantmx came about from the comic book character Fantomex. I find the idea of our multiple selves interesting, not in a multiple personality sense, but in a masks we wear sense, and so it has stuck.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Harry Potter
  • Options
    Ikillfatkids
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    From an RP perspective, I would usually create new names for each new character - especially since I typically have many alts, all with different interests and personalities.
    I used to find it strange when I learned that gamers keep the same name and same persona across multiple games.

For Landmark/EQNext, I chose a name that is almost an anagram of my real name to see if Dave Georgeson might recognize me as a former co-worker (Heavy Gear II). Everyone Activision always called me Dygz.
    And, then, surprise, surprise - Landmark was the first game that allowed me to creat a character who looks close to how I appear in real life (I was planning to be a Ratonga, to reflect digging, prior to getting my hands on the Landmark Character Creator).
    I think that's my Landmark pic here in the Ashes Forums.

And then, because Fantmx, Legendary Neurotoxin, Tsagh and Veluux and I were on screen for our TheoryForge podcasts, I always have a Dygz character who is recognizable as me in-game and a female character named Briarthorn as my primary alt. Among a bunch of other alts whose names I choose to fit the actual setting of each specific game.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited April 4
    Yeah, character names are individual to the character.
    But account name, is cos "davey" rhymes with "wavey". And, rhyming is fun.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    AidanKDAidanKD Member
    My original WoW Character was a Troll Hunter called Neutrale. Was just an improvised name but it stuck with me using it for characters in other MMOs.

However maybe not MMO related but name related, usually I am lazy and just use the same name for online Alias' and similarly with Steam. So when it autocorrected "AidanKD" to "Soda Kid" I thought that'd gold and so I now use that for Steam and when people got butthurt in Rocket League and decided to go keyboard warrior people just assumed I was a kid because of the name.

Got me a nice few laughs!
  • Options
    Started out Drakheim (barbarian warrior), since EQ1. Then it got changed to Drackheim, because my name was taken in later games. Now I have gotten olde... more mature, so now I just use my last name, and added Nator on the end. That name is never taken =) So Saabynator it is.
  • Options
    TheHiddenDaggerInnTheHiddenDaggerInn Member, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I rarely keep the same name, this particular name was the first one I ever used in gaming when Warcraft orcs and humans released. If I didn’t like you, I would eliminate you from the game by destroying your town hall with a group of peons. Life has come full circle for me since I love Ren'Kai it seemed appropriate.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured
  • Options
    DripyulaDripyula Member
    edited April 4
    I always name myself
    DarkShadowEvilBloodOverKillLmaoGitGutNewb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whenever I can!
    200w.gif?cid=82a1493bmt0x6ryb9i41j1lkag3lw2lhol7apkpr7iofnomi&ep=v1_gifs_related&rid=200w.gif&ct=g
    Hahaha nah of course not and I will never know why some people try to sound as edgelordy as possible.

My first MMO character was the Human Paladin "Diem", cause Diem is latin and stands for "day" and the light, which is known as "the holy force" in Warcraft, is the strongest during the day.
    This is why I called him Diem.
    And he was the monster he deserved during most of classic.
    He still exists btw.
    7bx8jruhhlgb.jpg

Overall I try to give all of my characters a stylish name that fits their race & cultural background.
    I have an elven sorceress in WoW I called Fayeen, or a Kul'Tiran druid I called Undvik for example.
    Overall I try to not stay with a name, which made it hard to decide what I call my account here in the forum.

Dripyula is the female vampire I played in V Rising. Cause I think the male model looks kinda goofy.
    Hence why I made her as a chick. I am undecided yet how I will call my AoC character.
    Guess I will find the name in the heat of the moment where all decisions are made that topple Empires... or raise them. ;)

It will be an ambient name as far as my understanding allows me.
    And I hope that I do not need to look at "Chocolatecream", "Burgerlover", or "Peevepeer" :smirk: during my travels in Verra.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    XeegXeeg Member
    edited April 5
    I've been using "Xeeg" as my primary name across most games since 1996.

It originated from playing on BBSs, in a game called MajorMUD. This was a text based online MUD (kind of like an MMORPG but without graphics) Before this name, I had the name "Skeletor", but I kept getting attacked by people in the graveyard because they would see this:

Also here: tall skeleton, Skeletor

The main way to attack something would be to type something like:

a skel

However, if the skeleton died or wasn't in the room anymore, they would attack me! It happened a bunch and people pretended they didn't mean to, but I could never tell, so I changed my name. There were no monsters in the game with "X" as the first letter, so that was my first choice. Then I wanted a short name, because in order to give items and interact with players, you would need to type their name, or at least a partial name. So something around 4 letters would be good. Also saved on text space real estate.

It is a lot easier to type "aid xeeg", or "give club to xeeg" than a lot of other names, especially when you need to type your commands in between the 5s rounds. You also learned to type really fast =D. PVP was a lot different for sure.

Anyways, I've always stuck with the name so that it is easier for people to remember me from game to game. Games where I have multiple chars, or alts, I might try to pick something more clever, or just use the random name generator.

When Starcraft 2 was in beta I made the name "MasterBeta" and was banned by bliz. They said "We do not want this type of player beta testing our games." Sad!
  • Options
    SunboySunboy Member
    edited April 4
    Username is from this little dude <3
    752fazd1c8to.png

My avatars is often just spur of the moment mishmash.
  • Options
    IskiabIskiab Member
    Tenguru wrote: »
    Tengu was taken, needed something that didn't feel too awkward to say while still being short, and if it rhymed then that'd be better.

So Tengu + Guru became Tenguru

Used to be in a guild with a Tengu.

I use this handle in all my games. When I started MMOs I had other names but they're always taken, this one never is. Used a random name generator and it stuck.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    Hmmmmm ... ... ... ... Gamer-Name, Gamer-Name ... ... ... ... ... this one is tricky. I never had a Gamer-Name that stuck with me over the Years.

I constantly use new and different Names over the Years, but no one really stuck with me until now. ;)

Am i missing out on something ? :grin:
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think that mostly depends on whether you are any kind of content creator who wants to be recognized across several games and/or whether you are maintaining friendships across several games.
  • Options
    FlankerFlanker Member
    Flanker
    I used to be a semi-pro paintballer on a position of a snake side player (basically, a sneaky aggressive player on one of the flanks), so that's how I came up with it. Later, I switched to another position but kept the name.
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    I was stupid enough to choose my PSN name using my first and last name...
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    DripyulaDripyula Member
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Hmmmmm ... ... ... ... Gamer-Name, Gamer-Name ... ... ... ... ... this one is tricky. I never had a Gamer-Name that stuck with me over the Years.
    I constantly use new and different Names over the Years, but no one really stuck with me until now. ;)
    Am i missing out on something ? :grin:

Find one you lazy piece of SITH! :smiley:
    PkI9.gif
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 5
    Dezmerizing

*mesmerizing*

Will i ever have the luck of meeting your charming Character ? >;-]
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    I usually use an imaginary character I made up. Inspired from either from real life experience or just as a project from stories I write sometimes.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    ‘Crowe’ is a character in a series of short stories I wrote many years ago. Starting using it as my main handle for Battlefield 1942.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Dezmerizing

*mesmerizing*

Will i ever have the luck of meeting your charming Character ? >;-]

Potentially! Obviously, in a game such as Ashes I am reserving that name for my bard alt. X']
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options
    I based my name off of a painting. Lichryre.
  • Options
    Xeeg wrote: »
    When Starcraft 2 was in beta I made the name "MasterBeta" and was banned by bliz. They said "We do not want this type of player beta testing our games." Sad!

That's hilarious! :D
    But, good on them!
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 11
    daveywavey wrote: »
    But, good on them!

They probably identify as Beta males SOOO much that the Nickname offended them.

You say that it was hilarious, but wouldn't You be the first kind of Person to report such a thing ?
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    But, good on them!

They probably identify as Beta males SOOO much that the Nickname offended them.

You say that it was hilarious, but wouldn't You be the first kind of Person to report such a thing ?

LOL no. You don't know me at all well.