Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Community and Developer Concerns

2»

Comments

• Options
    XeegXeeg Member
    edited May 8
    This entire post, again, is to prevent something that could happen. There is potential that the development team listens to the unimaginative masses whom speak louder or shout frequently, whom thinks they know what makes good fantasy or fantasy game without having ever contributed to something creative.

Creativity aside, the reason I started posting in these forums is because I wanted to add my own opinion to the conversations. Just understand that many of the frequent posters are strongly opinionated and are spending hours every day reading and writing comments. If they shut down your idea, insult or demean you, don't take it personally, and don't take it as the majority opinion of your idea. Verbal combat in the forums is their current MMO.

Take some of your own advice to the dev team and just ignore bad arguments and focus on the good ones. You can spend hours and days on a thread trying to explain what you are talking about, to varying degrees of effect. It can work with some of the more reasonable members, but other times its a lost cause.

Personally, I think I've only had 1 thread that hasn't been misunderstood or vigorously argued against on the most arbitrary of levels by various members. Sometimes the critique is good, or there was information on the Ashes Wiki that already resolved the issue that I was trying to talk about.

That being said, there could be many more people reading your comments and agreeing than the ones posting and disagreeing. As far as I'm concerned, this whole genre is fiction so the dev team can make whatever world they want as long as it is self consistent. It doesn't need to conform to anyone's idea of what a "fighter" or "mage" is from other games.

People talk about fighters not having "mana", yet I've never seen a fighter fly 50 yards in the air and slam down on the grounds creating a 10 yard radius earthquake. Seems pretty magical to me, current record for a long jump for humans is like 10 yards. If they want a realistic fighter then the only ability they get is "swing sword", just like real life.

We can argue till the cows come home about what your idea of a "fighter" is, or someone else's idea. At the end of the day, the dev team gets to decide. So put your opinion in the forums and just expect to be attacked and misunderstood and argued against.
  • Options
    edited May 8
    15 years of creative experience here with clients ranging from Walt Disney to Blumhouse to Kim Kardashian's SKIMS apparel brand. Non-creative people's opinions are just as important as anyone else's.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    "i promise that people i have never met before are not taking you seriously because I don't think your feedback has value" yawwwnnnn

Well talk to the Mirror. The Game is barely over halfway finished regarding what might function and +70%(?ish) finished with lots of Bugs and Glitches that need testing.

And here comes a Comment with what could " concern " People who have absolutely nothing to contribute to the Games Development when the Alpha Two is not even here and the People "concerned" barely know what they are talking about ?

I get it. The Time to Alpha Two is long. But the Topics got rapidly worse since April 22nd. Well hopefully that is only my own Impression. :D
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    quite the opposite, i love it. i'm challenging you all to prove me wrong and change my mind. My mind still hasn't been changed because you just proved my point by pulling out ideas from the box and not outside it. your claims of their being augments and cosmetics that allow the player to change the blood vampiric fighter theme is baseless.
    Baseless? You don't know what words mean.
    Also... no one here cares about changing your deranged mind.
    We are just sharing our reactions to your post(s).
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    I am concerned that People concern themselves to much about the Concerns of concerned People who may happen to not be the Developers. (lol)

While it is okay to be concerned for the Games Development, People should "pretty-Please" leave the Concerns to the Developers concerned and not concern themselves with what only the Developers concerned should concern themselves with.

Am i understood ? Or are my concerns overheard ? Please don't force me to concern myself anymore than i already did. This is very concerning otherwise.
    NiKr wrote: »
    Damn, you're still THAT butthurt about people disagreeing with you, huh. A shame.

Also, this is peak Dunning-Kruger :)

You could perceive my words as pretentious. The only thing that matters is the right people reading the message, not you. :)

I can promise you that nobody at Intrepid is taking anything you say on this topic seriously lol if you have any real feedback then they'll read that and judge it as they see fit. Based on this post, and your responses to people in here so far, I wouldn't put much stock into you actually having any really useful or "creative" feedback to provide though.

"i promise that people i have never met before are not taking you seriously because I don't think your feedback has value" yawwwnnnn

That is not what I said lol I'm not surprised you didn't understand it though
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    I am concerned that People concern themselves to much about the Concerns of concerned People who may happen to not be the Developers. (lol)

While it is okay to be concerned for the Games Development, People should "pretty-Please" leave the Concerns to the Developers concerned and not concern themselves with what only the Developers concerned should concern themselves with.

Am i understood ? Or are my concerns overheard ? Please don't force me to concern myself anymore than i already did. This is very concerning otherwise.
    NiKr wrote: »
    Damn, you're still THAT butthurt about people disagreeing with you, huh. A shame.

Also, this is peak Dunning-Kruger :)

You could perceive my words as pretentious. The only thing that matters is the right people reading the message, not you. :)

I can promise you that nobody at Intrepid is taking anything you say on this topic seriously lol if you have any real feedback then they'll read that and judge it as they see fit. Based on this post, and your responses to people in here so far, I wouldn't put much stock into you actually having any really useful or "creative" feedback to provide though.

they ideas could not be good, or not a good fit for ashes.

ideas proposed here are proposed in isolation. people here have no clue about the whole game and all the systems since we weren't working at intrepid...so an idea that might seem good could be terrible for the whole ecosystem...

then you have guys like the one you quoted saying the game is outdated etc xDD
  • Options
    SnowElfSnowElf Member
    Hi Ocean!

Software developer and author here, creativity is a shadow that has never left my side. I completely understand and respect your concerns revolving around the aspect of creativity and how the community may inadvertently stifle the creative vision shared from others.

Simple advice? ignore anyone who casts doubt or intended negativity on your creative expression. I would not be an author to this day if I listened to the opinions or remarks of others - let alone strangers on the internet. Humans are often and innately drawn to manifesting criticism yet lack the proper formalities to execute it professionally or constructively.

If your creative vision is strong enough and you show genuine enthusiasm and passion for it, Intrepid will acknowledge it. And if it's solid enough in the eyes and minds of others, that creative vision may come to fruition. You needn't worry about what other community members may say or think of your ideas. The beauty of creativity is also that there can always be alternatives and even your first rough draft of an idea can always be altered to an even greater version than before, so it's important that you also remain open and flexible to potential change in the vision you have inside of your head.

Intrepid is always listening, watching even. One of Steven's favorite things to pass the time when he isn't over-encumbered by work is to sift through the community's commentary and feedback on Ashes of Creation. There is also multiple devs within AoC Forums who are monitoring and may even relay your own creative ideas to the drawing board one day.

So have faith. It doesn't matter if other community members lack creative vision when compared to your own, Steven and Intrepid studios as a whole work hard alongside the community with an agile development approach to deliver a product to the community that is going to shake the entire MMORPG world for decades to come.

Regards,
    -Snow Elf
    I am obsessed with anything magic.

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited May 8
    SnowElf wrote: »
    Hi Ocean!

Software developer and author here, creativity is a shadow that has never left my side. I completely understand and respect your concerns revolving around the aspect of creativity and how the community may inadvertently stifle the creative vision shared from others.

Simple advice? ignore anyone who casts doubt or intended negativity on your creative expression. I would not be an author to this day if I listened to the opinions or remarks of others - let alone strangers on the internet. Humans are often and innately drawn to manifesting criticism yet lack the proper formalities to execute it professionally or constructively.

If your creative vision is strong enough and you show genuine enthusiasm and passion for it, Intrepid will acknowledge it. And if it's solid enough in the eyes and minds of others, that creative vision may come to fruition. You needn't worry about what other community members may say or think of your ideas. The beauty of creativity is also that there can always be alternatives and even your first rough draft of an idea can always be altered to an even greater version than before, so it's important that you also remain open and flexible to potential change in the vision you have inside of your head.

Intrepid is always listening, watching even. One of Steven's favorite things to pass the time when he isn't over-encumbered by work is to sift through the community's commentary and feedback on Ashes of Creation. There is also multiple devs within AoC Forums who are monitoring and may even relay your own creative ideas to the drawing board one day.

So have faith. It doesn't matter if other community members lack creative vision when compared to your own, Steven and Intrepid studios as a whole work hard alongside the community with an agile development approach to deliver a product to the community that is going to shake the entire MMORPG world for decades to come.

Regards,
    -Snow Elf

I hope you realize he is trying to suggest people that don't agree with him wanting to change the creative vision of warrior (change skills cause he doesn't like them not have other suggestions on top of it) are unimaginative lmao.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    I hope you realize he is trying to suggest people that don't agree with him wanting to change the creative vision of warrior (change skills cause he doesn't like them not have other suggestions on top of it) are unimaginative lmao.

This is why it is very concerning that he dares to concern himself with Concerns of Matters of the Design of Gameplay that only the Developers concerned should concern themselves with.

I know, concerning, right ?
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited May 8
    Hi Ocean!

Regards,
    -Snow Elf

OP is trying to gatekeep providing feedback and suggestions to those that work in "creative" fields or have been deeply involved in creative hobbies for years by basically saying that everyone else isn't capable of providing valid feedback... Nobody is really criticizing them for providing their own suggestions.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member

I think this may feel good to say, and feel good to hear, but isn't very effective advice. Behind a great writer is an excellent editor, not to mention the many folks that are trusted to discuss ideas before spinning sentences on the page. Creating a solid, valuable digital experience requires countless folks to provide critical feedback even when they are aligned to the creative vision. Successfully filtering that feedback and incorporating it into your end product, whether that be a book or an app, is an essential part of the creative process.

It also doesn't build any good will in soliciting constructive feedback when you so narrowly define the boundaries of what is or is not 'creativity,' and who qualifies. One's job title and field doesn't bound their creative pursuits or how creatively they operate in their role. Let's not confuse the map for the territory.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    SnowElfSnowElf Member
    Thank you @Mag7spy and @patrick68794 for the replies.

The intent of my message to OP was to find the best way possible to tell him to focus on themselves and stay in their own lane, and if their idea is good enough, it will be heard. You'll have to excuse me if I am rusty on how to professionally tell someone to go fly a kite - and that is putting it kindly compared to how I normally speak lol.

So Yes, I'm well aware of the OP's intent lol. There is zero strategy on their appeal to the forums for this post. There is no hook, there is no substance and immediately starts off the intent of this post with disdain toward others and even goes to discredit those who may be reading it before even really making a landing on the topic at hand.

The troll is strong in that one, but far stronger ones exist.
    I am obsessed with anything magic.

• Options
    SengardenSengarden Member
    edited May 10
    I’m a professional visual artist and copywriter with extensive experience writing short story and novel length fiction as well as 3D design, modeling, and animation with validation from and good rapport with several MFA professionals.

I don’t know what YOUR profession is, but if you actually work as an artist who provides products to, on average, mostly the very same people you’re currently berating, then you should have heard at least once by now that your “creativity” doesn’t mean anything if no one else appreciates your vision. It’s lonely thinking differently than other people, but it doesn’t make you a better person. Sorry. Feel free to leave your feedback, just like everyone else. Just don’t expect the dev team to be more or less likely to use it than anything else in the pile.