Fighters are vampires? (Please read this)

123457»

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    edited April 15
    Do we lack imagination in the way that we can't simply press the key to activate the skill block to block and the next incoming attack, or press the key with dodge on it to side step the next incoming magic missle or arrow or sword swing? I don't get how you don't get how these ideas could be applied. League of Legends has these interactions with characters like Fiora, Jax, etc.. these mechanics could be implemented into an mmorpg to make a fighter archetype a true fighter. a true sword master.
    RPGs are about character skill; not player skill.
    In an RPG, I should be able to build a character who has a higher Dexterity than I, the player.
    In an RPG, I should be able to build a character who has a better Aim than I, the player.
    In an RPG, I should be able to build a character who has better Diplomacy than I, the player.
    Block and Dodge and Roll can be fun, too.

But, in a High Magic Fantasy setting, like Verra in Ashes of Creation, expect a heap of magic to supplement purely physical abilities.

League of Legends is not an RPG.
    League of Legends is a MOBA.

"True Fighter" is going to depend on the specific lore of the specific setting.
    True (D&D) Magic Missle should be impossible to Dodge.
  • DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    edited April 16
    Diamaht wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    The top answer was from ealier in the topic. It's the self healing of any kind that is not liked.

The issue is that all of their responses talk about blood magic so it obscures the original intent of the post.

What is being debated is whether or not fighters should be allowed to self heal.
    I mean... just two posts above yours, OceanSunWind reiterates that Blood Healing breaks class fantasy.

If Clerics can also do some melee, there should be no surprise that Fighters can also do some healing.
    If Mages can do some melee combat, there should be no surprise that Fighters can do some magic combat.
    Especially in a High Magic Fantasy setting.

I think the bigger fubar for most Ashes fans is the very concept of the Tank Primary Archetype.

I think OcenaSunWind wants to play some other genre of MMO than RPG, because block, parry, side step are Player Skills; not Character Skills.
    And RPGs should be more focused on Character Skills than Player Skills.

Do we lack imagination in the way that we can't simply press the key to activate the skill block to block and the next incoming attack, or press the key with dodge on it to side step the next incoming magic missle or arrow or sword swing? I don't get how you don't get how these ideas could be applied. League of Legends has these interactions with characters like Fiora, Jax, etc.. these mechanics could be implemented into an mmorpg to make a fighter archetype a true fighter. a true sword master.

You're describing full action combat which is not what they are going for. If a fighter can just dodge on coming attacks then other classes are required to aim all attacts and tab targeting is simply eliminated.

Its not a lack of imagination, it a choice to not have that style of gameplay in an mmo. If I want action combat I'll play Elden Ring, I'm not interested in that play style in an mmo setting and I'm not alone.

yeah, you lack vision. it's ok. that's ok. Having a button to dodge the next incoming attack doesn't mean or even imply that aiming mechanics are required. sad

What you describe with a dodge button is Guild Wars 2. A tab target MMO who's fighters can regen their own HP on hit.

What you are implying with dodging and sidestepping is souls like.

Don't have to imagine, it all exists already
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited April 16
    saw this in another post and thought it was relevant.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Transformation

In a way this bolsters my hypothesis that Fighters are actually using blood magic and it would be natural for them to do so because of how Essence works. I really like this concept because its kind of like a rapid evolution crossed with magic.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • OceanSunwindOceanSunwind Member, Alpha Two
    Dygz wrote: »
    The top answer was from ealier in the topic. It's the self healing of any kind that is not liked.

The issue is that all of their responses talk about blood magic so it obscures the original intent of the post.

What is being debated is whether or not fighters should be allowed to self heal.
    I mean... just two posts above yours, OceanSunWind reiterates that Blood Healing breaks class fantasy.

If Clerics can also do some melee, there should be no surprise that Fighters can also do some healing.
    If Mages can do some melee combat, there should be no surprise that Fighters can do some magic combat.
    Especially in a High Magic Fantasy setting.

I think the bigger fubar for most Ashes fans is the very concept of the Tank Primary Archetype.

I think OcenaSunWind wants to play some other genre of MMO than RPG, because block, parry, side step are Player Skills; not Character Skills.
    And RPGs should be more focused on Character Skills than Player Skills.

You're describing full action combat which is not what they are going for. If a fighter can just dodge on coming attacks then other classes are required to aim all attacts and tab targeting is simply eliminated.

Its not a lack of imagination, it a choice to not have that style of gameplay in an mmo. If I want action combat I'll play Elden Ring, I'm not interested in that play style in an mmo setting and I'm not alone.

yeah, you lack vision. it's ok. that's ok. Having a button to dodge the next incoming attack doesn't mean or even imply that aiming mechanics are required. sad

What you describe with a dodge button is Guild Wars 2. A tab target MMO who's fighters can regen their own HP on hit.

What you are implying with dodging and sidestepping is souls like.

Don't have to imagine, it all exists already

yeah, you don't get it. that's fine.
  • Let the healers heal. Give bards some "vampiric rage" buff that all melee classes can use on melee hits to restores an x% of HP. The stronger you hit, the more it restores of your HP. Like 5% for example. You hit for 1000, you get 50 HP back.
  • OceanSunwindOceanSunwind Member, Alpha Two
    Let the healers heal. Give bards some "vampiric rage" buff that all melee classes can use on melee hits to restores an x% of HP. The stronger you hit, the more it restores of your HP. Like 5% for example. You hit for 1000, you get 50 HP back.

Brilliant. love it.