Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I love the idea of the Tank Wall but...

DimitraeosDimitraeos Member
edited June 15 in General Discussion
Id rather see the base ability be something thats projected out in front of the tank itself, rather than something that's spawned like something out of fortnite.

Video example of what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aihi0LbBofA

I love the idea of the wall, but thematically, something about it doesn't feel right.

Something where the tank projects a "shield wall" with a channeled cast or something, perhaps at the cost of movement speed, in my opinion, would feel more like a front line "tank". I want to BE the wall.

Maybe a Summoner augmented tank would more appropriately fill the roll of *summoning* a disembodied wall of essence?

Get what I'm saying?
"Divinity is not just Love, Devotion or Purpose. Divinity is the hammer which we use to crush Corruption."

Comments

• Options
    I agree with you. The wall is odd to me considering it manifests but doesn't even visually look like the tank has anything to do with it.
    Something like you posted in the video would be more visually appealing, but having the tank physically projecting the barrier I think is better overall.
  • Options
    DraugrWulf wrote: »
    doesn't even visually look like the tank has anything to do with it.

This exactly 💯
    "Divinity is not just Love, Devotion or Purpose. Divinity is the hammer which we use to crush Corruption."
  • Options
    arkileoarkileo Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I agree with you. The wall is odd to me considering it manifests but doesn't even visually look like the tank has anything to do with it.
    Something like you posted in the video would be more visually appealing, but having the tank physically projecting the barrier I think is better overall.

The visuals we saw for it in the node war stream weren't how it's meant to look. They said the new visual had a bug so they replaced it with an older asset for the stream. It should have a different appearance by Alpha 2.
  • Options
    arkileo wrote: »

The visuals we saw for it in the node war stream weren't how it's meant to look. They said the new visual had a bug so they replaced it with an older asset for the stream. It should have a different appearance by Alpha 2.

Its not just that though, we know the visual itself is a placeholder. Its the fact that the wall is placed down, summoned out of thin air and doesn't really seem associated with the tank that dropped it.

I think the example shown in the original post is a better, more thematic version of a wall that fits the role of a front line tank better.
  • Options
    TacquitoTacquito Member
    Good feedback and I agree. Bump.
  • Options
    LaetitianLaetitian Member
    edited June 15
    Here's an easy suggestion:
    xa121ofbauxk.jpg

The people who really like the idea of controlling the environment will pick the wall or both the wall and the shield. Most tanks will probably only pick the shield, so the players who don't like the gameplay/class fantasy immersiveness of the original won't have to see it all too often.

Side-note: I think the movable wall should come with mobility restrictions to the tank. Archers already struggle to be effective in large-scale PvP that's often decided by big all-in rushes; tanks shouldn't be able to allow their allies to ignore archers during an engage. (Another counter to this would be mid-range mage AoEs that punish too many people hiding behind a single tank wall.)
    No one but yourself can validate you for all the posts you *didn't* write.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited June 15
    Or, the magical shield wall thing is an augment of Tank / Wizard? The tank / tank shield wall is just balls deep toughness.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited June 16
    Laetitian wrote: »
    Here's an easy suggestion:
    xa121ofbauxk.jpg

The people who really like the idea of controlling the environment will pick the wall or both the wall and the shield. Most tanks will probably only pick the shield, so the players who don't like the gameplay/class fantasy immersiveness of the original won't have to see it all too often.

Side-note: I think the movable wall should come with mobility restrictions to the tank. Archers already struggle to be effective in large-scale PvP that's often decided by big all-in rushes; tanks shouldn't be able to allow their allies to ignore archers during an engage. (Another counter to this would be mid-range mage AoEs that punish too many people hiding behind a single tank wall.)

Yes I basically mentioned your points in my original post.

Placeable wall for Tank/Summoner (literally makes sense...You're summoning a wall)

And for the base ability: projecting the wall in front of you and aiming it at the cost to movement. Something along those lines.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dimitraeos wrote: »
    Id rather see the base ability be something thats projected out in front of the tank itself, rather than something that's spawned like something out of fortnite.

Video example of what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aihi0LbBofA

I love the idea of the wall, but thematically, something about it doesn't feel right.

Something where the tank projects a "shield wall" with a channeled cast or something, perhaps at the cost of movement speed, in my opinion, would feel more like a front line "tank". I want to BE the wall.

Maybe a Summoner augmented tank would more appropriately fill the roll of *summoning* a disembodied wall of essence?

Get what I'm saying?

Keeper is Tank/Summoner.

That walls pretty appropriate considering.

We had Aegis for tank and people hated it.
  • Options
    edited June 16
    Solvryn wrote: »

Get what I'm saying?

Keeper is Tank/Summoner.

That walls pretty appropriate considering.

We had Aegis for tank and people hated it.

I think because it was too small. If it was the size of the wall in the node war stream it would both match the fantasy of a tank creating a shield wall and less like someone building a fort in fortnite
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One

Get what I'm saying?

I agree with this. Keep the tank abilities centered around the tank himself. Give him plenty of gap closing to zoom around the battlefield, but good positioning should be manual and skill based.

Perhaps the Mage or the Bard should have ranged barriers.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member

Get what I'm saying?

" When you come to it

And you can't go through it

And you can't knock it down

You know that you've found

The wall, the wall, the wall

No Man ON EARTH can make it fall !!! "

:mrgreen:
    a50whcz343yn.png